PDA

View Full Version : [OT] The Top 20 game devs

dark_reaper
11-10-04, 07:27
[Edit]
I have found a list of the top 20 game publishers in 2004. Check this out.

20. Namco
19. Empire Interactive
18. KOEI
17. Midway Games
16. Square Enix
15. Konami
14. Sega
13. Acclaim
12. Codemasters
11. Vinendi Universal Games
10. Nintendo
9. Atari
8. Take-Two
7. Activision
6. Eidos Interactive
5. Ubisoft
4. THQ
3. Sony Computer Entertainment (Include: SCEA, SCEE, SEAJ)
2. Microsoft Game Studios
1. Electronic Arts

What do you think of it?

QuakCow
11-10-04, 07:30
is it upside down? looks good too me

NS_CHROME54
11-10-04, 07:34
um you sure these aren't publishers? cause Vivendi and Activision are hardly what i'd call developers.

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 07:50
um you sure these aren't publishers? cause Vivendi and Activision are hardly what i'd call developers.
Depends do you like to think Blizzard Ent. (a sister company of vivendi) as a developer and Activision is a large developer, it started as one and will continue as one. It is usually the teams that "develope" the games but they are part of a larger company and they have their own studios apart from the mother company, but they still are the same.

But it seems to me that this Top 20 list is more about Top 20 biggest companies not Top 20 in quality, as it seems the EA, Microsoft and Soe (the biggest three) are on the top of the list, not that they are the top devs, but they have the most money and volume in game market.

My top would be

Blizzard, Valve, Epic, Dice, Lionhead (some I forgot sorry for that) and not in that order. It is the small companies that do the innovative things, EA and SOE has along time since they did anything innovative or good for that matter.

Distaria
11-10-04, 07:55
Don't forget Black Isle and Bioware. Oh, and Ion Storm Austin - responsible for Deus Ex. Relic has done some good stuff. Gearbox. I've liked Bethesda's and Taldren's games, and I have to give mad props to Planet Moon for some of the funniest games I've ever played(Giants/Armed And Dangerous.)

dark_reaper
11-10-04, 07:56
Ooops it was supposed to be publishers, I am not shure when the Dev Issue comes out tho. I have corected my mistake. This is a list by the Game Developer Magazine, you get info that any other magazine can't give ya.

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 08:11
Oh, so it IS a publisher list.

Well, then it is clear, because publishers are ranked by the money they make and volume of games they publish. By NC terms EA is 127/127 in publishing 0/2 in developing :D

Game dev magazine is a good magazine, I subscribed to it for a while, but I can get much more info from the biz, from various sites and just e-mailing to some dev friends in some studios than reading a magazine, it is supposed to have articles that intrest everyone, like who can really say Top 20 publisher list has anything to do with game development? Everyone in the biz, know the top 20 or top 10. It is obvious.

Tho I got an invitation to GDC for being a subscriber to GDM so I'm not complaining :)

dark_reaper
11-10-04, 08:18
[edited] Eh who hasnt?

superfresh
11-10-04, 08:20
Bioware needs to be in there.

NS_CHROME54
11-10-04, 08:23
Bioware
good canadian company they are

seems no one mentioned Nintendo and Squaresoft. i must right this injustice.

Nintendo and Squaresoft.

superfresh
11-10-04, 08:29
Doh. Publishers, not developers....

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 08:56
[edited] Eh who hasnt?
If you are referring that who hasn't got an backstage invitation on behalf of a developer magazine, well I'm not sure but they didn't like hand out hundreds of free passes to there o_O

Candaman
11-10-04, 09:19
THQ in 4th thats wrong

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 09:21
Yeah, ubisoft should be higher than THQ :D
Really, how can THQ beat Ubisoft in money and games released?

Vithar
11-10-04, 09:54
Moved to Off Topic forums.

V

Spermy
11-10-04, 09:55
20. Namco

19. Empire Interactive :wtf: :wtf: Errr... No. They don't even belong on the list!

18. KOEI
17. Midway Games
16. Square Enix
15. Konami OMG KOS! METAL GEAR CASH IN!!!!
14. Sega (Ahem! Number 1 Thankyouplease.)
13. Acclaim
12. Codemasters
11. Vinendi Universal Games
10. Nintendo
9. Atari
8. Take-Two
7. Activision
6. Eidos Interactive
5. Ubisoft
4. THQ
3. Sony Computer Entertainment (Include: SCEA, SCEE, SEAJ)
2. Microsoft Game Studios - (Just cos you had Halo...* Kissies*)
1. Electronic Arts ( Is this for volumes of sales or quality? o_O )

Dirus
11-10-04, 10:06
good canadian company they are

seems no one mentioned Nintendo and Squaresoft. i must right this injustice.

Squaresoft is mentioned. They're now Square-Enix

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 10:21
Lupus the keen eyes :D
Yah, square is there with their current name, they merged with enix and thus are called Square Enix.

@ Spermy: I don't think any of them are for quality, EA is the biggest with sheer market value, profits made of published games, and volume of games published per year.

Ms did publish Rise of nations, age of mythology, FABLE all very very successful.

*caching* this is the top 20 cashflow chart. Though Atari should be one of top 5 with it's UT series, all very well sold. Ea in top with sims :lol: and Sony, well what can you say, they know how to rip off some dough.

Endar
11-10-04, 12:08
How could those guys forget the Capcom?? Resident Evil series are one of the best console games. Also why Konami is on the 15th place? They have made some of the best horror games.

And what the heck are EA and Microsoft doing on the first 2 places? They have just made that normal crap that everyone likes. They find a good game consept and stick with it. Or maybe its because of the people who play the games, most of the gamers dont want to see anything new, they just want to see simple games that are entertaining. It doesnt matter if its nearly the same game that was released 5 years ago with nicer graphics (like most of the EA Sports games), actually its only a good thing, the lazy gamers dont need to learn anything new.

Well the Halo was good, and it was new, but thats about the only good game that Microsoft has ever made.

If I would need to say the best 5 GAMES or series that has been released the choise would be hard, but you would mostly only see games that are made in Japan on it. Why? Because most of the games that come from there are original and much better than the games from USA or Europe.

I have to admit that there are few good games that have been made in USA or Europe, but if you would make a list about all games that have been made here, the amount of truly good games would be around 1 or 0.1% of all the games.

Oh and one thing, game developers from USA or Europe cant seem to have the skills to make a good RPG game. For example, take a look at "True RPG game from Europe" called Silver. It was just a poor copy of Final Fantasy.

Baldurs Gate was pretty good, but it was using exactly same rules than D&D, and PC games cant never be as good as theyr P&P brothers.

Ok enought of this, but its great to see threads about something else than "KK FIX THIS!!!11!1!" on this forum :D

Spermy
11-10-04, 12:14
How could those guys forget the Capcom?? Resident Evil series are one of the best console games. Also why Konami is on the 15th place? They have made some of the best horror games.

I should shoot you just for that comment... But I'll be a sport.

Aaah sweet delusion...

MaGn0lia
11-10-04, 13:55
Again, even with the topic being about publishers "who made the most money with the help of blind consumer", I can't agree with you Endar with the RPG section of your post, alltho I agree, japanese RPGs are good, but they are all the same, after FF7 there has been like 1 innovative game and what a suprise Chrystal Chronicles was it. If you look at innovative RPG games that has come out of western market, Baldurs gate, it took bioware only few years to chage the consept to NWN, and Dungeon Siege from MS, Fable from Big Blue Box, Xmen legends just released and the list continues, you can hardly call pokemon an innovative RPG when you consider the competition.

And if we really have to dig deep, well, japan hasn't released one good RTS to date, yeah advance wars is a good game, but I wouldn't put it in front of any Ground Control 2, Warcraft 3 or Rise of Nations, Empires: dawn of the modern world.

But it is a matter of taste. I should say to the end that I like japanese games, and I own Gamecube mostly because it's japanese games I haven't bought one european/american game for my cube to date.

NS_CHROME54
11-10-04, 20:31
i'm also wondering why Rockstar Games isn't on that list. Lord knows, they sold tonnes of GTA and Max Payne Games