PDA

View Full Version : Terra: 4 Slots + Server Pop = Less incentive for playing a PE?

Siygess
10-10-04, 16:37
The PE. JOAT, JOAT-Like, or not JOAT at all, it's something the community (and probably KK) have never really been able to decide upon.. but thats not what I'm going to cover in todays mini-rant. Something that has more or less been accepted by the community however, is that PE's are designed to be good solo characters.

My experience of soloing in NC1 proved this to be quite accurate, because the PE was quite effective without support from the other classes including the mighty PPU. I could go out and hunt pretty much whatever and whenever I liked, I had enough skills to drive, hack, shoot and perhaps most importantly, outrun the occasional would-be assailant (except for that time it was dark and I was running into a fence I couldn't see. I deserved that one).
If there was something interesting happening, I could tag along with the clan or a small team and we could go caving, hang out, or maybe RP. Really, life was good.

Perhaps it's a side effect of playing on Pluto since the beginning of retail, but I had grown quite accustomed to this style of play. What saddens me is that I just can't do this anymore in NC2.

First there's the server population. This isn't something thats wrong with the game (200-300 people is, for the most part, better than the 50-80 people I would see logged in to Pluto), but it means that every time I leave my apartment, I've run in to PK'ers. Ok, thats cool.. it's what the game is about, but it's not every now and again. It's pretty much every zone, especially out in the wastelands. And it's not just a lone guy looking for people to mug, it's a group of them. I can't fault them for playing that way, but immediately it's devalued the solo-character concept. This happened on Pluto in the early days, but with only one character on that server, I had little choice but to work around the problem. On Terra, of course, I have three more character slots.. and now each time I log in, the other three characters I have now created are looking more and more tempting. And none of them are PE's.

I've got a couple of options, as I see it:

1) Hope KK let us put LE's back in. Of course, I'd no longer be able to be in a clan :(
2) Stop playing a PE and play a more team-orientated class.
3) Get mad skillz and ownzor everyone I encounter (Ha! Like thats ever going to happen)

Thing is, none of these issues address the problem. I can but hope that one day, however, KK will.

Neocron.

You'll never die alone!*

* unless you are a PE.

Glok
10-10-04, 16:50
Foolish dork that I am, I am making a PvP HC PE. Tostino kind of inspired that but I was gonna try it anyways. Now to level. Urgh.

DigestiveBiscui
10-10-04, 16:51
no it's still 'neocron, you never die alone'

because if u specced a PE decently, you would notice he can take a fucking shitload of damage - therefpre not dying much at all :p

Siygess
10-10-04, 17:20
In 1 vs 1 or Duel situation, I agree with you. Unfortunately, players don't think they are mindless guards in a film or book who come at you one at time. Players tend to hunt other players in groups, and even the best PE's with mad skillz (TM) still fall to them.

To paraphrase Vin Diesel in the Fast and the Furious:

"It doesn't matter if you loose by an inch or a mile. Loosing's loosing."

Lexxuk
10-10-04, 17:22
PE's look good, thats all that matters, and they are fun to play!

Dribble Joy
10-10-04, 17:35

because if u specced a PE decently, you would notice he can take a fucking shitload of damage - therefpre not dying much at all :p
tank + ppu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PE + ppu

:(

Shinto
10-10-04, 18:00
as for pkers every zone, im presuming that you are pro neocron?

ya i bumped into a few pkers, but then ive just had to find new zones to hunt in to avoid the pkers.

or i hunt in my old zones if i want fighting ;)

as for the PE they still as good as they ever where, if you bump into a group of enemies if you are a PE tank or spy your gonna lose, its not a PE thing, unless you are skilled and they are shit

Icewalk
10-10-04, 18:00
Foolish dork that I am, I am making a PvP HC PE. Tostino kind of inspired that but I was gonna try it anyways. Now to level. Urgh.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Tostino's quite a fool, and we got ourselves into a lot of trouble yesterday with Redline and his BLOODTITAN's apt. (Thread was closed, and needless to say we got our revenge ;) )

OnT:Well, for some reason I'm finding a tank atm to have some more incentive than my PE, and I was even shivering into the thought of making a rifle/spy just for fun. Heh oh well.

MrChumble
10-10-04, 18:11
PEs died the day they lost stealth 1. Jack of all trades, master of none, bugger all use to anyone. At least with stealth they had a chance, now...well I kind of like them for the all round aspect, and being able to use the vehicles is fun (even if they suck), but in a PvP world they're just no use. One para and they're history. :(

Shinto
10-10-04, 18:14
PEs died the day they lost stealth 1. Jack of all trades, master of none, bugger all use to anyone. At least with stealth they had a chance, now...well I kind of like them for the all round aspect, and being able to use the vehicles is fun (even if they suck), but in a PvP world they're just no use. One para and they're history. :(
no shit PEs died the day they took stealth away from them cos they couldnt stealth away like pussies

what you had left were the decent PEs who knew how to setup a PE

Dribble Joy
10-10-04, 18:23
Stealth (as it is) should never have been introduced.

Doc Holliday
10-10-04, 18:24
find a couple other pe's who also would like to go level hunt do epics. a good mixed group pistol and rifle pes will give any mixed class group a run for its money providing u dont have to fuck about with some lamer and his pet ppu.

Spermy
10-10-04, 18:29
PE's Rock so hard when they're specced properly.

It's a pity the starting setup is absolute BOLLOCKS.

*Recalls the day of 40+ deaths*

Siygess
10-10-04, 18:47
find a couple other pe's who also would like to go level hunt do epics. a good mixed group pistol and rifle pes will give any mixed class group a run for its money providing u dont have to fuck about with some lamer and his pet ppu

Yes but teaming up to survive (not win, but survive) an encounter with a group of hostile players defeats the object of a PE if it truely is a solo class. :(

LiL T
10-10-04, 19:01
Oh come on many a time have I fought over 3 people and still killed them as a PE they take a good amount of damage. I have had great fun playing my PE its fast as hell and takes more damage than a tank hard to hit but its the PPU that messes up this game.

REMOVE PARRAGLUE!!!!

Spermy
10-10-04, 19:50
Aye - Para-where-the-fuck-are-my-legs, was possibly one of the worst ideas. EVER. The creator of Para-Balls should be on trial for crimes against humanity.

MrChumble
10-10-04, 20:16
Yup, it's not that PEs are inherently bad, they just have no defence against para. In PvP they're expected to fight by themselves, so can't rely so heavily on PPUs anti-para and a holy heal.

Once again it comes down to the lack of PPU balance :(

Darkener
10-10-04, 20:26
neither do tanks in 1 v 1 situations or spy's we are all effected by the para the pe aint nothing special now if the pe aint a dumb fuck he will have some anti-para's on him and will be fine if not hes dead. I dont get it why is it less incentive to play a pe . I play a tank solo and my pe solo its no different on both chars except my tank probably has worse resist than my pe when fully buffed . If i run into a grouping on either chars im dead anyway dont matter which 1 unless of course they are shit then im ok.

LiL T
10-10-04, 20:33
neither do tanks in 1 v 1 situations or spy's we are all effected by the para the pe aint nothing special now if the pe aint a dumb fuck he will have some anti-para's on him and will be fine if not hes dead. I dont get it why is it less incentive to play a pe . I play a tank solo and my pe solo its no different on both chars except my tank probably has worse resist than my pe when fully buffed . If i run into a grouping on either chars im dead anyway dont matter which 1 unless of course they are shit then im ok.

yes tanks and spys can get parrashocked but this is the difference the PPU's look after tanks at an opwar becuase tanks are damage dealers. The spy can just stealth and any pistol spy can get the the same defence as a PE less a few hitpoints. But the PE is left to look after him self maybe he will get 1 or 2 holy heals but at the end of the day the PPU will look after the APU or the tank. PE will normally be the first to die at an opwar and the LAST to get rezzed

/EDIT I'm also thinking of using the other classes more and more with a pistol spy and stealth its possible to pk people in neocron solo imo pistol spy now takes the title of best solo class. lvling a tank right now on second account might start a pistol spy tonight just trying to think of a name for it and weather its male or female :D

Morganth
10-10-04, 20:36
Ever since the removal of stealth I have actually improved my skills on my PE drastically, as its now a case of kill or be killed. My PE happens to be a drug whore (hence his 72/70 rank with a Pistol 3, 68/70 with Pistol1 ;) ) as I got bored of running about using the same weapon as every other pistol PE. My PE now, when drugged up, uses Inq3, an Exec and PA4. He looks cool in his black PA, and with the right combination of drugs matched with a fairly good CON setup he gets equal damage and better resists than a pistol Spy. He also can give most classes a run for their money, if they aren't PPU supported or are Melee tanks.

I think PEs are fine now, and I always will do. Stealth just made them a little more annoying. Personally I have more fun on my PE than on any of my alts (melee PE, HC tank, PPU, APU, rifle spy), and once I have found a good drug dealer he will be back in action purging all things evil and city like.

neither do tanks in 1 v 1 situations or spy's we are all effected by the para the pe aint nothing special now if the pe aint a dumb fuck he will have some anti-para's on him and will be fine if not hes dead.

So you are telling me with a PE who has anti-shock drugs you can drug enough to stop yourself from dying, then kill the PPU in order to stop yourself being crippled? Good luck!

EDIT:

PE will normally be the first to die at an opwar and the LAST to get rezzed

First to die, maybe depending on how many you fight at once. When I am on my PE at an OP war with my clan, I don't think to date I have ever been rezzed last on my PE, because I am statistically the same as a good pistol Spy just minus stealth.

LiL T
10-10-04, 20:46
I never really did use stealth only for a week to try it but it only lasted a few seconds not enough time to get away. Also the more you use it the more you depend on it :) I found it was like a drug so got rid of it but it was nice as an option

Darkener
10-10-04, 20:47
Ever since the removal of stealth I have actually improved my skills on my PE drastically, as its now a case of kill or be killed. My PE happens to be a drug whore (hence his 72/70 rank with a Pistol 3, 68/70 with Pistol1 ;) ) as I got bored of running about using the same weapon as every other pistol PE. My PE now, when drugged up, uses Inq3, an Exec and PA4. He looks cool in his black PA, and with the right combination of drugs matched with a fairly good CON setup he gets equal damage and better resists than a pistol Spy. He also can give most classes a run for their money, if they aren't PPU supported or are Melee tanks.

I think PEs are fine now, and I always will do. Stealth just made them a little more annoying. Personally I have more fun on my PE than on any of my alts (melee PE, HC tank, PPU, APU, rifle spy), and once I have found a good drug dealer he will be back in action purging all things evil and city like.

So you are telling me with a PE who has anti-shock drugs you can drug enough to stop yourself from dying, then kill the PPU in order to stop yourself being crippled? Good luck!

EDIT:

First to die, maybe depending on how many you fight at once. When I am on my PE at an OP war with my clan, I don't think to date I have ever been rezzed last on my PE, because I am statistically the same as a good pistol Spy just minus stealth.

na but you could stop being a lil bitch and kill what ever the ppu is trying to heal pe is very fast hard to hit the drugs just unfreeze you so you continue to fight . If it is in a situation with alot of people trying to hit you the ppu cant heal them all. The pe doesnt have to be pistol or rifle . Cut throat is the perfect example of a elite pe . At every op ive seen him in its harder than hell to take him down no matter how many ppu's we got, he tears through monks faster than you can heal them and if the tank's arent being careful well they are dead to . Every time cut gets frozen he takes a anti-para and comes at you even faster yet again. He uses speed to his advantage and he knows what to hit a pe doesnt have to take a tank down spy's and apus things with weaker cons are good to kill

Morganth
10-10-04, 20:50
na but you could stop being a lil bitch and kill what ever the ppu is trying to heal pe is very fast hard to hit the drugs just unfreeze you so you continue to fight . If it is in a situation with alot of people trying to hit you the ppu cant heal them all. The pe doesnt have to be pistol or rifle . Cut throat is the perfect example of a elite pe . At every op ive seen him in its harder than hell to take him down no matter how many ppu's we got, he tears through monks faster than you can heal them and if the tank's arent being careful well they are dead to . Every time cut gets frozen he takes a anti-para and comes at you even faster yet again. He uses speed to his advantage and he knows what to hit a pe doesnt have to take a tank down spy's and apus things with weaker cons are good to kill

I realize that, but nothing is going to stop the PPU para spamming you if you have killed whoever he was supporting, and more are on the way is what I meant. And in reference to Cut Throat (he is melee right?) using a melee PE as an example doesn't really prove much of a point, as they use melee which isn't exactly the most balanced weaponary in the game. By the way, I can drop most APUs and a crappy hybrids with a tl24 claw so using melee in comparison to, say pistols (I have an Exec PE btw), doesn't make you the god of PEs.

Jesterthegreat
10-10-04, 21:21

PE is best solo class (bar hybreds i guess) but he is still good in a team.

tbh i see "PE's are useless in op wars" and similar posts and comments and i cant help pity people. i op war both with PE's on my side and against PE's. compared to a PPU buffed tank a PPU buffed PE has less defense... but he is still as usefull as ever. when i play my tank i dont refuse to fight a PE cos he has better defence than me, and as a PE i dont refuse to op war cos tanks have better defence than me.

a well setup PE can sway a PvP battle, whether people choose to see it or not. i wouldnt say its as vital as other classes, it has no specific job (IE its not generally master hacker, its not massively defensive, its not AoE, its not massive offense) but it can do a bit of evreything. i know PE's who hack OP's. i know PE's who do 100 damage per hit to a self buffed tank (yes its less at an op war because of PPU's, but it shows PE's are hardly useless).

so no... PE's arent suddenly useless.

Morganth
11-10-04, 18:01
PE is best solo class (bar hybreds i guess) but he is still good in a team.

tbh i see "PE's are useless in op wars" and similar posts and comments and i cant help pity people. i op war both with PE's on my side and against PE's. compared to a PPU buffed tank a PPU buffed PE has less defense... but he is still as usefull as ever. when i play my tank i dont refuse to fight a PE cos he has better defence than me, and as a PE i dont refuse to op war cos tanks have better defence than me.

a well setup PE can sway a PvP battle, whether people choose to see it or not. i wouldnt say its as vital as other classes, it has no specific job (IE its not generally master hacker, its not massively defensive, its not AoE, its not massive offense) but it can do a bit of evreything. i know PE's who hack OP's. i know PE's who do 100 damage per hit to a self buffed tank (yes its less at an op war because of PPU's, but it shows PE's are hardly useless).

so no... PE's arent suddenly useless.

Exactly, all those who fight Crahn might be blessed with the guest appearance of my PE, to prove that they aren't useless at all, but actually pretty ok. (Bet this means enemies will target me first instead of Buju :lol: )

I never really did use stealth only for a week to try it but it only lasted a few seconds not enough time to get away. Also the more you use it the more you depend on it :) I found it was like a drug so got rid of it but it was nice as an option

Back in the days of Anger Management Rejects :rolleyes:

(I hope thats what A.M.R. stood for, been so long I can't remember)

Jesterthegreat
11-10-04, 18:04
i too will be one of crahns PE's :p

well... i am now i just need to cap and lom :p

Spermy
11-10-04, 18:49
Seems to be a lot of PE making going on at the mo - I stand against the "PE's Suck at OP wars" statement. They're flexible - The have decent staying power, and make for a bloody good distraction, if not a good damage dealer.

Too many people overlook PE's I reckon.

That said - I'll NEVER roll another one - I think it's tanks all the way for me.

Jesterthegreat
11-10-04, 19:00
Seems to be a lot of PE making going on at the mo - I stand against the "PE's Suck at OP wars" statement. They're flexible - The have decent staying power, and make for a bloody good distraction, if not a good damage dealer.

Too many people overlook PE's I reckon.

That said - I'll NEVER roll another one - I think it's tanks all the way for me.

theres only a handfull of people i havent beaten on my 90 str tank...

and my PE is old, but uncapped (a saturn char when my main server was uranus)