PDA

View Full Version : Rome - Total War

Opar
10-10-04, 14:59
Best. Fucking. Game. Ever.

I was scared this game would be a carbon copy of Medievil and Shogun : TW. I was wrong. Its so much better than any other strategy i've ever played, its unreal. Commanding a hundred or so Space Marine units just doesnt compare to having tens of thousands of Roman soldiers at your disposal.

And jeebus, if you zoom close into the battle, its even more un-fucking-real. No longer are the units 2.5D cardboard cutouts, they have as much detail on them as... as.... something. This game is mind blowing.

Buy it. Accept no substitutes.

juvestar15
10-10-04, 15:11
Hows it run on your PC?

Can you build bases? I like that kind of strategy. No Bases = shit.
When i say "bases" i mean the whole thing(infantry buildings, seige buildings... etc).

Opar
10-10-04, 15:57
Well, it runs FINE on my PC (Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2ghz, Radeon 9800 pro, 1024 mb RAM) on high settings (not tried 'very high' yet), I havent had a SINGLE problem yet, not even the slightest jerk.

You dont build them, you conquer the cities, and add to them when you have enough cash....

juvestar15
10-10-04, 16:26
That sounds different to most of the ones i've played. I'll try the demo tommorow i think.

Possessed
10-10-04, 19:12
Total War games consist of two elements... first a Risk/civ style campaign map, where you move armies, improve cities etc. and the battle, rts style map.

You're right Opar... the individual men look better in RTW than most models do in all of the generic shitty FPSs that always get released.

Here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11231) is a realism mod for RTW, if anyone is interested.

Opar
10-10-04, 23:14
Realism is for historians. :p

Celt
11-10-04, 01:03
Dont believe the hype.

Game's a 7/10, if even that.

Extremely buggy, everyone I've talked to so far suffers from random crashes, several suffer from sound looping continuously, family tree's getting swapped with other races, same for economy.

Not to mention units not responding to orders for no reason, units getting stuck on walls/doors, BAD battle AI and strategical AI(harder diffculty = AI countries will declare war on you for no reason, send massive armies, and refuse to ceasefire no matter how often you win).

Only real improvement is the city siege, the "improvements" to the strategical aspects are mainly negative and detract from the overall game.

Sadly in almost all aspects, Shogun is its equal.

QuantumDelta
11-10-04, 01:11
Dont believe the hype.

Game's a 7/10, if even that.

Extremely buggy, everyone I've talked to so far suffers from random crashes, several suffer from sound looping continuously, family tree's getting swapped with other races, same for economy.

Not had a problem with any of that...

Not to mention units not responding to orders for no reason, units getting stuck on walls/doors, BAD battle AI and strategical AI(harder diffculty = AI countries will declare war on you for no reason, send massive armies, and refuse to ceasefire no matter how often you win).
Hate that, that delay in unit orders and occasional non-responciveness..
Except that the units are supposed to have trouble getting through fort doors/etc, it's a tactical bottleneck, you're meant to encircle the breach in the time and slay those coming through.
Also, I haven't had any problems with the AI of enemy nations diplomatically.
My allies are annoying me though, they keep cancelling my alliances and stuff, me and the britons were almost done with the germans, and they broke out in war against the Brutii, there goes my alliance :rolleyes:

Only real improvement is the city siege, the "improvements" to the strategical aspects are mainly negative and detract from the overall game.

Sadly in almost all aspects, Shogun is its equal.

Should be some patches to sort that out.

Celt
11-10-04, 02:22
Not had a problem with any of that...Aye, I dont think any of the bugs are universal, but they do happen a lot to some people :/

Except that the units are supposed to have trouble getting through fort doors/etc, it's a tactical bottleneck, you're meant to encircle the breach in the time and slay those coming through.It's not that, it's that say - 2 men in a cohort are pushing against the gateway to get through(impossible) while the other 38 are formed up outside but cant do shit.
Same happens with almost all units.

Also, I haven't had any problems with the AI of enemy nations diplomatically.
My allies are annoying me though, they keep cancelling my alliances and stuff, me and the britons were almost done with the germans, and they broke out in war against the Brutii, there goes my alliance :rolleyes:Honestly, is there an AI diplomacy? Every time I ask for trade rights -> given, every time I ask for alliance -> given(even when an egyptian army was 1 turn from my capital and broke the alliance the next turn).

There seems to be no intelligence to how the AI plays diplomatically, sadly.

Should be some patches to sort that out.Can hope, but the previous games were terrible for patches.

Opar
11-10-04, 08:37
You could listen to Celt, or......

You could listen to

PC Zone : 93%
IGN : 9.4/10
Gamespy : 4.5/5.0 stars
GameSport : 9.1
FiringSquad : 93%
TWCenter : 9.6
PC Gamer : 92%

Und die neue patch.

PATCH FIXES v1.1

This 1.1 patch addresses many issues with multiplayer dealing with game stability, performance and some synch issues.

• Fixed an issue with the GameSpy multiplayer lobby population when it hits its maximum.

• Elephant units in the game have been tweaked to make them less overpowering.

OR

You could jus not buy it and use the cash to buy HL2.

SilentEye
11-10-04, 08:38
You could jus not buy it and use the cash to buy HL2.
Amen! :o

Celt
11-10-04, 14:37
You could listen to Celt, or......

You could listen to

PC Zone : 93%
IGN : 9.4/10
Gamespy : 4.5/5.0 stars
GameSport : 9.1
FiringSquad : 93%
TWCenter : 9.6
PC Gamer : 92%

Und die neue patch.

PATCH FIXES v1.1

This 1.1 patch addresses many issues with multiplayer dealing with game stability, performance and some synch issues.

• Fixed an issue with the GameSpy multiplayer lobby population when it hits its maximum.

• Elephant units in the game have been tweaked to make them less overpowering.

OR

You could jus not buy it and use the cash to buy HL2.I've read most of the reviews, they are universally ignorant of the detractors of the game - or not mentioning them for whatever reasons.

Original monk
11-10-04, 15:47
Commanding a hundred or so Space Marine units just doesnt compare to having tens of thousands of Roman soldiers at your disposal

atm i have my doubts: should i buy Rome or the Spacemarines ?

i was planning on getting the Spacemarines, looked abit more futuristic, but now ya posted this i start getting doubt again lol

help me out here :)

Saza
11-10-04, 16:05
Three words.

Dawn.

Of.

War.

Rome: Total War - 0hn0z! teh sticks and arrows - run awwwwaaaaay!!!

Dawn of War: *Loads gun* chugga chugga chugga chugga... *laughs manically as bloodthirster flies into battle*

Forget any other RTS. DoW is the way to go.

Shinto
11-10-04, 16:39
im with the Saza on this one.

Spacemarines all the way :p

Mechanicus
11-10-04, 17:03
NC tbh

Opar
11-10-04, 17:23
Dawn of War is pathetic compared to Rome. This is going to turn into a 'OMG HL2 OWNAR D3 OMFG NO D3 OWNAR HL2 ID SUX NO VALVE SUCK STFU OMG'

Sure, Warhammer has gore, bit fucking deal. You cap at 20 squads, fuck that shit.

And Celt, how do you know rome wouldn't have got 9.5/95% across the board without these 'random crashes'? They may simply, not have included them in the review.

Lexxuk
11-10-04, 17:46
Been playin rome today, I found it tedious and way too easy, outnumbered 3-1 and I still kicked their arses, guess I need more action, whens HL2 due out again? :D

Shinto
11-10-04, 17:48
Been playin rome today, I found it tedious and way too easy, outnumbered 3-1 and I still kicked their arses, guess I need more action, whens HL2 due out again? :D
you proberbly have it in nub mode

Celt
11-10-04, 19:17
And Celt, how do you know rome wouldn't have got 9.5/95% across the board without these 'random crashes'? They may simply, not have included them in the review.Re-read what I wrote, you seem to be mis-understanding.

Experienced and long time fans of Medieval and Shogun Total War, almost always agree that Rome has several bad features compared to its predecessors, not to mention the plethora of bugs.

No reviews seem to mention these drawbacks, or the stability issues.

Opar
11-10-04, 20:15
Re-read what I wrote, you seem to be mis-understanding.

Experienced and long time fans of Medieval and Shogun Total War, almost always agree that Rome has several bad features compared to its predecessors, not to mention the plethora of bugs.

No reviews seem to mention these drawbacks, or the stability issues.

Maybe none of these reviews see these' drawbacks' as huge. I'm saying, that perhaps when scoring the game, these reviews did take into account those 'drawbacks', and the score may reflect that.

Celt
11-10-04, 20:30
Maybe none of these reviews see these' drawbacks' as huge. I'm saying, that perhaps when scoring the game, these reviews did take into account those 'drawbacks', and the score may reflect that.They dont mention them - at all.

Either deliberately ignoring them, or ignorant.

Lexxuk
11-10-04, 21:10
you proberbly have it in nub mode

default is medium setting, the game is just too easy, raiding a town, send in ur archers to knock out the peeps behind the wall in safety, then ram down the wall, send in a few foot soldiers, with support from the rear and a few charges from the horses, and dont forget to get your men to set up a pincer attack

MrChumble
11-10-04, 22:14
DoW and the total war games are completely different, there's no point comparing them.

Specifically DoW is 'good' and R:TW is 'pants'...see, uncompareable.

I have to admit to huge bias here. Small intense furutistic squad combat versus huge lumbering battles with massive units devoid of individuality. That's not the bias though...the bias comes from my early tutorial experience which tried to reinforce how great archers are on a hill are by making my archers completely fail to kill anything before being butchered like cattle.

And to be honest...units that take 20 mins to turn around, or warp spiders that can warp in, blow shit up, warp out in less time than it takes to realise they're there.

It comes down to taste. Good taste v bad taste. Machine guns vs fording rivers for fun. Rapid strike forces and intense combat vs massed ranks of dudes with spears. W40K vs Warhammer, Star Wars v Willow, Stargate vs buffy. There is cool, and there is guys with tin hats. The end!

Edit: those reviews are from places that, in general, thought Doom3 was good. They are, therefore, to be ignored at all times cos they're clearly idiots.

NS_CHROME54
11-10-04, 22:48
one would think that none of the reviewers mentioned stability issues because they didn't have said stability issues.

QuantumDelta
12-10-04, 01:10
I see the good in both games.

-- Anyone that thinks R:TW is too easy, try playing some actual humans online, or download that realism mod and play on emperor, if you honestly think you're all that.

Celt
13-10-04, 13:05
one would think that none of the reviewers mentioned stability issues because they didn't have said stability issues.5 out of 6 friends who have it experience them.