PDA

View Full Version : [CbT] Current policy on character retention - official word please

jernau
08-10-04, 21:25
It used to be that KK promised to keep characters in the database for 3 months after cancellation. In fact they never got rid of any they just stopped "guaranteeing" them after that.

What is the policy now that you've had a clean start?

Most MMORPGs now don't expire characters ever, will this also be the case with NC2?

I know asking for official responces is frowned upon by KK for some reason but there is no way any of us can answer this one (unless I missed something somewhere).

I know I'm not alone in having accounts expiring now or soon so it will be important to many people.

NS_CHROME54
08-10-04, 21:27
i'm pretty sure kk themselves said that this time around they will in fact be deleting characters after 3 months.

jernau
08-10-04, 21:30
i'm pretty sure kk themselves said that this time around they will in fact be deleting characters after 3 months.
That would be a bad call IMO though I fear you may be right. If we're thinking of the same comments though that was a long time ago.

I am/was hoping they'll have some kind of archiving system but I really don't know. It would be a shame if it were 3 months as I doubt enough will change in that time to get people back into the game.

joran420
08-10-04, 21:32
well i know for a fact DAOC has 3 month policy(allthough afaik they havent deleted a char yet)

EQ has 3 month period and they do delete chars after teh 3 months

{edit} even on teh off chance yer char does get deleted...it doesnt take long at all to lvl up once u know what yer doing

jernau
08-10-04, 21:39
well i know for a fact DAOC has 3 month policy(allthough afaik they havent deleted a char yet)

EQ has 3 month period and they do delete chars after teh 3 months
I know people who've gone back to both of those games after around 2 years and picked up where they left off. IIRC EQ archives characters so they aren't in the live DB but can be re-inserted if you return.

{edit} even on teh off chance yer char does get deleted...it doesnt take long at all to lvl up once u know what yer doing
It's a big barrier to anyone coming back. Especially if they left because of all the new timesinks and repetitive grind.

Nidhogg
08-10-04, 21:42
I know asking for official responces is frowned upon by KK for some reason...
Getting really imaginative these days, Jernau. I've talked this through with Odin but we don't want to give an official answer until it's been confirmed by the office. We're always happy to give official answers when we have official answers to give.

N

MrChumble
08-10-04, 21:48
We're always happy to give official answers when we have official answers to give.
Well as we don't get official answers...New competition! Complete the following sentence. Winner gets a milky ren. "We don't get official answers because..."

I won't submit my own answer cos I don't want that ol' perm ban :D

joran420
08-10-04, 23:17
I know people who've gone back to both of those games after around 2 years and picked up where they left off. IIRC EQ archives characters so they aren't in the live DB but can be re-inserted if you return.

i went back to EQ after 6 months and meh wizzie was deleted...and they sent me a letter saying DB is wiped after 3 mos and there was no way to reinstate meh char

i promply re unsubscribed

jernau
09-10-04, 00:03
Getting really imaginative these days, Jernau. I've talked this through with Odin but we don't want to give an official answer until it's been confirmed by the office. We're always happy to give official answers when we have official answers to give.

NThat wasn't meant (entirely) as a dig. At least one GM has in the past mentioned that they consider threads with things like "official response needed" to be presumptive and that it doesn't encourage them to respond. I sort of understand that position (especially for the volunteers) - hence my comment. I tried to keep the sarcasm to a minimum ;).

Thanks to Odin and yourself for looking into it. I appreciate that as I'm sure do all the others who have left/are leaving but who hope to one day return. You can close this if you want - I'll bring it up again in a month or so if that's not a problem.

/edit @joran - I don't know then. It was a while ago and it's second hand info but that's what I heard.

jini
09-10-04, 06:48
Nice question Jernau, I would also like to hear officially how kk/10tacel stands on this matter

Vithar
09-10-04, 07:30
For the closest thing to an "official response", please see Nid's post above. ;)

Closed by Threadstarter.

V