PDA

View Full Version : Character presence vs Player presence

Carinth
07-10-04, 17:19
I was under the impression that when I quit a game, I'm nolonger in the game. I don't mean crashing, just normal logging out. Why is it that NC2 keeps your character there ingame for an extra 10 seconds or so? When we hit escape to logout, it makes us wait 10 seconds, once we exit he program why is our character still there for *another* 10 seconds? Was this intentional? If we're supposed to wait 20 seconds, why not keep us in the client for 20 seconds.

This has caused lots of problems, people log off normaly and come back later to find their character dead. Evidently in the 10 seconds their character was standing around after they quit, someone ran up and killed them. Because the game thinks you're still online it also prevents you from switching characters. It's really annoying to be denied login because "player is already ingame with another character." No I'm not! I'm right here and trying to login!

Which brings me to what's easily the worst problem in Neocron. We know the game is buggy and unstable, we know it crashes/synchs. We can usualy live with that, but what drives people away and completely turns them against kk is when these problems are combined with how long our character stays ingame. When you synch and your character is standing around. When you crash and your character is standing around. When you crash and can't login because your character is standing around. Even when you log off normaly and your character is standing around. In a game with fps combat, what happens to the moron that stands around? He's an easy kill.

I posted about this in beta, but it doesn't seem to have changed. Now our retail characters are falling victim, it's not acceptable. If I am not controling my character my character should not be ingame, period. When I crash, my character should vanish. When I synch, my character should vanish. When I logout, my character should vanish!

The argument that people will start crashing on purpose to avoid fights is valid, but outweighed by the grief caused by deaths to bugs/lag. I'm sure there's a way to reconcile this, but even if you can't I'd rather have lamers escaping death then people ganking me because I can't control my character.

Dim
07-10-04, 17:27
it's to prevent logging off to avoid a fight.
just make sure you logoff in a secure place.

plague
07-10-04, 17:30

10 second u have to wait is enough, i don't think we need another 10 seconds to wait after er logged off.

Ultima
You see the 10 second count down, but your character stays for an additional 20 seconds (I think it's 20). Even if you alt+tab to avoid the 10 second count down I think your character will stay in game for the total 30 seconds.

This is a method to stop players logging out in mid battle as mentioned above.

.Cyl0n
The argument that people will start crashing on purpose to avoid fights is valid, but outweighed by the grief caused by deaths to bugs/lag. I'm sure there's a way to reconcile this, but even if you can't I'd rather have lamers escaping death then people ganking me because I can't control my character.

You know i totally agree with your point and i know it sucks but this isnt true :(

People will alt+f4 ALOT and prolly like in lineage2 - write a macro / bot to crash your client automaticly when you reach a certain hp bar status...

it would completely destroy pvp with all those lamers around :/

/e now as i think about it... NC with its % dmg would be perfect for such a bot :/

Dim
07-10-04, 17:31
how 'bout pressing alt + f4... don't have to wait 10 seconds then...

Shinto
07-10-04, 17:31
i like it way it is, if you dont want to die dont log of in stupid place, faction buildings or apartments should be used to log if you dont want the potential death while logging off.

Dim
07-10-04, 17:33
You are right about having your character around after crashing though.. but I guess that's the price we have to pay. Imagine your enemy disappearing as soon as you get him to low hp... wouldn't be fun either.

J. Folsom
07-10-04, 17:35
Optimally that would be changed so that you always wait the same time; if you crash out you'll usually want to log in to the same character anyway, and it means Alt-F4 really doesn't make much difference.

What I mean is that you get, say, a 20 second countdown when logging off, but your character disappears automattically when that's over. This timer always get's used, regardless of how you log out. (With normal logging out having the bonus of allowing you to see if anything is happening)

I'd agree with instant log out in certain circumstances (E.G. while a player is still synchronizing the log out is basically instant, in fact, the player doesn't even get shown to others while he can't control himself just after zoning), while I'd like instant log out during a mid-battle crash, I fear it'd lead to too much "laming".

[TgR]KILLER
07-10-04, 17:59
i always alt f4 out of nc lol never can be arshed to wait for 10 seconds :p can alt f4 and get nc booted back up to log in another char in the same 10 seconds of waiting.

GIJ0e
07-10-04, 18:01

did you actually read what he said? its the problems when you sync / crash / fre that are at issue. not when logging off normally.

***** incidently car ;)

tiikeri
07-10-04, 18:10
You should ask <adding the certain players name/forum account here> about exploiting..

Imagine your enemy disappearing as soon as you get him to low hp...
Like this. + some other thingies.. I'd so like to expose this piece of shit here by telling his name, but everybody knows i can't. And you prolly know it already... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dunno if this is already crossing the line in talking about exploits..

Glok
07-10-04, 19:27
KILLER']i always alt f4 out of nc lol never can be arshed to wait for 10 seconds :p can alt f4 and get nc booted back up to log in another char in the same 10 seconds of waiting.So did you get all your chars sorted killer, or are some still missing?

edit: oops, off topic. I think it should be 20 seconds, and you watch the countdown the entire time. When the countdown ends, you are logged off and your char dissappears. Bugs and crashes etc, well tough, like Cy says, it would be bad bad bad to have a zero logout time.

Endar
07-10-04, 19:33
Not sure about this one, but doesnt the wait have something to do about saving the data?

whifix
08-10-04, 00:12
Here is some bad news. If you press escape it just means it'l be another 10 seconds before your charater dissapears. As far as I can tell logging out of neocron is just a disconnect/log off time out issue. There is no

Client - "Hey, I'm taking off server"
Server - "Ok, are you sure"
Client - "Ya, I'm sure. How long will it be?"
Server - "10 seconds, please standby and feel free to cancel"

It's currently;

Client - "See ya later"
Server - "Hello?"
Server - "Hello?"
Server - "Hello?"
-----29 seconds later
Server - "Hello?"
Server - "Hello? FIne then good bye"

BaDDaSS
08-10-04, 00:19
Just remove the 10second countdown.

There is no need for it if you are around for another 20seconds anyway.

Most people alt-f4.
The only time i wait for the countdown is if im changing character, and then i stil have to wait the darn 20seconds after too :mad:

solling
08-10-04, 00:38
peops could jsut alt F4 in mid combat or if they was chased etc

i like the idea of the countdown of 20 sec wich u see the countdown like we have now just 20 secs in stead of 10 and when 20 secs is out peops vanish

that will make it jsut as hard as now to crash out on purpose in combat and u can se if anyone is attacking u the 20 secs

jernau
08-10-04, 01:45
Just make the countdown run till the character is actually disconnected and leave the player able to look around and see their local list and chat window in the mean time (like when doing "set reset position".

Saza
08-10-04, 10:10
I like the system as it is. If you die due to your character being in game after you've logged out, it's your fault for not being in a safe place.

Harsh but true.

phunqe
08-10-04, 11:34
If people want to be cowards, I don't have a problem with it. I would never logout if I got engaged.
To be honest I wouldn't care if anyone else did that either, since it would just prove he/she is to chicken to fight me.

What about just getting the avatar right out when the heartbeat between client and server is lost?
I think the "chicken" factor introduced if some people just logout when engaged would be more than outweighed by the fact that you don't have to worry if you FRE and when you FRE.

You could introduce this into the game and see what happens... if it's too abused (and a lot of complaining), just take it out again.
If it once saved me when I crash, I wouldn't complain if someone else used it to escape.

jernau
08-10-04, 11:49
If you leave the instant the link breaks soloing caves (any cave) would be a mare.

Relogging into a can't-do-anything synch and the mobs have all respawned = bad.

phunqe
08-10-04, 12:12
How about a Super Mario mode where you cannot be hurt 30 seconds after you login :p

Disclaimer: Yes, that was a joke :p

ArgieD
08-10-04, 12:40
i like it way it is, if you dont want to die dont log of in stupid place, faction buildings or apartments should be used to log if you dont want the potential death while logging off.

I'd like to know what would you do if you are hours away from your in-game apartment and you desperately need the real-life loo! :eek:

Saza
08-10-04, 12:57
I'd like to know what would you do if you are hours away from your in-game apartment and you desperately need the real-life loo! :eek:
Hold it in of course. Any Neocron player should be extremely adept at bladder control. If you are in the middle of an OP war and you really need to take a leak, well that's why you keep spare underwear near your computer.

phunqe
08-10-04, 13:03
well that's why you keep spare underwear near your computer.

*radio crackle*
Captain! We have a Too Much Information here.
I repeat... A TMI is in progress.
*radio crackle*

Shinto
08-10-04, 13:04
i would log off where i am, im not one to complain if i log of in a dangerous area and come back dead

Crest
08-10-04, 14:09
Its 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off

10 Seconds on gives 2 things, the ability to cancel when you see plasma as you are logging.

The ability to cancel when you get excited and hit esc once too many whil trying to cancel talking to a NPC

10 seconds off = You are now off and we are preventing you from shooting someone, then logging off to avoid the cons of your move...

Make life simple, ALT + F4 to get out, re log ... by the time you on again you can relog anyways

me , I think it cool... How many times I had a dronner shooting at me (So he has the aadvantage) and I follow the direction his drones comefrom, and find him logging .. now had he not haad this time delay, he would have lived, so I could have died and he is effectively in a safe zone...

He died while logging, but he attacked me so he should stay and fight or not fight at all

cMz
08-10-04, 14:12
In Neocron 1 Beta 2, I think, logout worked instantly, but a lot of people complained as you never got to kill anyone.

KK put it in a patch so that you needed to wait some seconds before being logged of from the server.

The same patch, I think, also fixed that you would not instantly be teleported to the reset_position, which was another quick way to get out of fights.

Crest
08-10-04, 14:17
In Neocron 1 Beta 2, I think, logout worked instantly, but a lot of people complained as you never got to kill anyone.

KK put it in a patch so that you needed to wait some seconds before being logged of from the server.

The same patch, I think, also fixed that you would not instantly be teleported to the reset_position, which was another quick way to get out of fights.

Teleport should be like 40 seconds and not the 2 minutes or 5 hours it feel like

dutchusuk
08-10-04, 14:29
i have now the problem when i will log another char. or after a crash the same char. i get join proxy session failed . :confused:

Crest
08-10-04, 14:31
i have now the problem when i will log another char. or after a crash the same char. i get join proxy session failed . :confused:

had that for a while too.. Need to shut down and start again (game) ...

its the port is still being used by game, and has not released the port ... Give it a few mins and it will also work ....

cMz
08-10-04, 14:36
I have the Join proxy on my Windows XP machine, but never had it on Windows 2000.

It is kind of anoying, but complete restart of Neocron fixes it.

dutchusuk
08-10-04, 14:59
i use another port now ,problem is solved