PDA

View Full Version : will memory freeing software help

jnky
07-10-04, 09:08
My memory starts at 900/1000 ish when i log into NC and over a period of time as you all well know it starts dropping i.e. 500/800...300/600...40/250...9/100 untill i get a memory error and crash
Now this takes about 2 hours untill crash for me then I usually restart my pc and log back in.
Im at work so I cant try it, but my question is....Does memory freeing software HELP (not solve) this problem and say give me 4 hours of play untill my pc locks up rather then 2 hours??
Im sure I read someone say it helps but I'm not sure and last night was the worst for me.
I was ok defending the city, getting average (for NC of course) fps and ping values for the type of play I was doing but my memory loss sux.

Is anyone using a memory freeing proggie ??

Vampire222
07-10-04, 09:10
it really helped for me... try something against memory leaks, should help you greatly

jnky
07-10-04, 09:12
Thx for the speedy response vamp...will get on it when I finish my daily grind ;)

MasterBee
07-10-04, 09:43
it really helped for me... try something against memory leaks, should help you greatly

What are you using?

Xeno LARD
07-10-04, 11:48
I use FreeMem (http://www.sysopt.com/freemem/), It's small fast and sexy.
I'd turn off the automatic mode though, otherwise you get sections where you leg like there's no tomorrow as it frees up RAM.

There's also MemMonster (http://www.magellass.com/prod-mm.html) I havn't tried it for a while, but it used to work ok on my old machine.

hth

Yelly
07-10-04, 18:30
If you are using winxp you should not need any such program.
I had uptimes over 3 months and still had 838/1280
so if something is using your memory that much you got something bad in your comp.A program or something.Also with neocron.When memory is low
then logout from game and maybe even close login screen "havenīt checked that as I do always alt +f4.Then back into game and you got your memory back ingame as well

hudsonbeck
07-10-04, 18:36
If you are using winxp you should not need any such program.
so if something is using your memory that much you got something bad in your comp.A program or something.Also with neocron.When memory is low
then logout from game and maybe even close login screen "havenīt checked that as I do always alt +f4.Then back into game and you got your memory back ingame as well

he is talking about playing NC... or are you saying that you have been logged into NC for more than 3 months stright? :p because the memory leak hasnt been around for 3 months iirc(first time ive use that :D ).

I can play NC for about 4 hours before i have to shutdown. I have 2 systems... one has 1 Gb RAM the other has 2 GB RAM. I also increased the swap file to 2Gb and this helped some.

I think ill try one of the progs you guys suggested... as stated below... I changed my mind :)

Hudson

/edit @ Yelly.. Alt + F ingame and watch what happens...

plague
07-10-04, 18:39
I used one of teh progs on me comp runing windows xp and my shit got fucked up royaly, donno if its cuz of teh prog but me 100 gig HD got fucked(cant be formated and when i put it as slave and try to access it it take AGES to do anything). So now i can't even play nc....but prog was working fine before it crushed only when it strt to free up mem game lags to helllll, not a good thing when u in hack net in enemy zones lol, usually crash and log in dead...either way game is unplayble like this... :(

AlphaGremlin
07-10-04, 18:39
I saw an article somewhere about how these programs are utter crap. All they do is allocate a colossal amount of memory for a few seconds, so that Windows is forced to dump everything it hasn't used in a while to the page file. No memory is actually "freed" at all.

And if a program could really "defeat memory leaks" then I think the person who made it would be very rich indeed!
AlphaGremlin

whifix
07-10-04, 22:43
I agree. I tried 3 memory saving programs and saw no memory savings result from it. I even tried anticrash tools in hope that they can fix some of the Neocron crashes.

Part of what takes alot of memory I believe is all of the conversation logging that goes on. If you sit like in P1 and watch the messages get logged you'll see your memory go lower and lower. Even when you zone it'll still be using a bunch of memory. Perhaps there should be a limit on how much scroll back log is kept in the client. I'm sure this isn't the only memory user though.

Terayon
07-10-04, 22:48
memturbo is cool. there is a feature where u can scrub ram and it actualy frees the ram from everything. the regular recover ram does probably what you say. just dumps stuff from it. anyways its what i use and it works realy well. when im using the comp its always auto clearing stuff from my memory. ive never left it open while i run nc though.

-FN-
08-10-04, 00:14

Yeah, I'm sure he means in-game. Last night I was running around and I tend to hover around 200mb / 1700mb... but I was beelining from Avenger Mine to Sieger Uplink and as I approached Chester Lab, everything suddenly became a slideshow... it was horrible. I looked down during one of the screen flashes to see the 200mb at 2mb, then 3mb, then 1mb, then 0mb, etc. I tried to make it to the GR and tag it before I quit NC2 and restarted, but the second I right clicked, BAM, I was 100% frozen with only the good ol' reset button as my option. I wish I had watched the Memory Usage more closely on my trip, but I only looked down when I started getting a slideshow. I upped my swapfile in size a bit just to test it out (I never even needed one for NC1 :(), but it still seems to hover around 200mb / 2000mb O_o