PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad, and the Dragonfly

MrChumble
05-10-04, 00:19
I just did something I've not done for a long, long time.

I created a noobie, found a group of other newbies who I'd never met, and dished out the ownage on some snakes and iguanas.

It was really good fun :D Too easy though, so we went to a pepper park sewer and took on some mutie dogs and warriors. God those things are scary as a pistol spy with no armour! We were doing pretty well, the five of us. Some deaths, a few near misses, but the exp coming in and the healthy clink of 3000nc in the pocket.

But you know how it is, it always ends in tears. I took a wrong turn, got seperated, before I know I'm being chased by a mutie dog, I'm out of stamina and then...you guessed it...a dragonfly. Legs gone in an instant, no stamina, can't hit the thing for the life of me. It's just a matter of time til I fall over dead.

The dragonfly has a place in Neocron. That place is above the warbot, and a little below the Grim Chaser. It is most emphatically not in a noobie sewer.

Now the final insult to me is not that I got my ass handed to me by a level 5 mob, or that it took my legs out completely in one shot, or the slight irony of getting lost in a sewer with only two directions (ie forward and back)...the final insult is getting boned by a flying mob with no wings! If I really must be outclassed by a mob that's more overpowered than a GM with God Mode, then it could at least have the deceny to dispatch me with some style and grace! Not some random shapeless blob hovering in the air - to borrow from the late great Douglas Adams - in exactly the same way that bricks don't.

Darth Slayer
05-10-04, 00:26
LMAO................. :lol:
DragonFlys > You ........... :D

Scorpius.

Blacksword
05-10-04, 02:40
hehe i give dragonflies more room with my newbs than warbots myself. At least if they see ya its a head shot, and you can get behind a hill and scurry away. damn dragons will shoot you in the leg, and they move pretty good to begin with. sometimes i will hate on em with my higher level guys just to feel good about myself :rolleyes:

joran420
05-10-04, 03:38
fuck i remember getting dusted by a swarm of teh fuckers out at one of the swamp caves and i was like /45 .....that sucked

Jesterthegreat
05-10-04, 03:41
fuck i remember getting dusted by a swarm of teh fuckers out at one of the swamp caves and i was like /45 .....that sucked

tbh change MC5 commander / bots for 127/127 and 120/120 dragonflies :p

make MC5's rare :p

SorkZmok
05-10-04, 03:46
Cant even remember how many times i got my noob ass handed to me by a damn dragonfly. Sometimes even my midlevel chars when i ran into a swarm of em.

Pure evil i tell you!

MaGn0lia
05-10-04, 09:21
Dragonflies have been the spawn of impurity, I think KK created them to be their own image, to suck all fun out of the game if you meet it :D

Tho, it's not only draggies that are annoying, how many times you have been hunting warbies with a rifle spy, only to die on a spiderbot shooting you from horizon (so far that you can't even select the target that far, and move in speeds that even GMs can't when they teleport), or how about those cyberguards or houndbots (well houndie pose no real threat, they are so low lvl) cybe guards aggro your ass when you attack a warbie taht has some of these buggers next to it, then they run all over the place and aggro the rest of them, so you got 5 cyberguards that shoot lazer from horizon and 3 spiderbots closing in on you so fast that you can't even hit them, and the warbie is steadily walking towards you and shoots you with it's evil freezing what-the-hell-you-can-call-it, BAM! Death of the spy.

If I hunt warbies I want to do it without his army of low lvl bots running around me. Even aggroing all y-replicas in ceres mine means more chances of surviving than these superspeed longrange weaponsplatforms.

Xeno LARD
05-10-04, 10:41
talking of dragonflys owning runners ..... i ran into about 30 of the fuckers somewhere around jherico on my near capped tank .... the force of the push ment i couldnt heal :( i got my ass handed to me

btw i agree with jester :P

sanityislost
05-10-04, 10:57
Yep Dragonflys are evvvvvvvvilll!!!!!

lol i even avoid them on my apu, just incase the rest of the swarm is hiding near by

SiL ..:..

IceStorm
05-10-04, 11:11
It's called resist force. Spec some and wear armor/bone enforcements. With the TL 20-ish armor, full set of level 1 bone enforcements, deflector, heal, and 50 to 75 in Resist Force, they're not a problem.

Am I the only Spy who caps Psi and gets STR to 20+ before going to where the dragonflies live?

Cubico
05-10-04, 11:17
One of the last patch notes said that they changed the mob spawns. Harder mobs are now found in the middle of the map.

Dragonflies are still around Jeriko.

THE_TICK!!!!
05-10-04, 11:20
bleh they ARE evil little suckers..i remember one time i had my PE out runnin round grabbing GR's or...other things :) and blam i heard it...the buzzzzzzz and then PAP..i got tagged...couldn't run real well lol..so i whip out the old pistol and start wailin away..miss and miss some more...next thing i know there is MORE of em....well i try and run..to no avail..i got pwned by a lowbie dragon fly :(...Damn there COOL ;p

sanityislost
05-10-04, 11:20
prolly cause there is water there, they always stay around the water
waitingfor a helpless newb to fall in....then they Sting!!!..Sting!!!!...Sex your
lil dead body.....really they should give mobs the emotes, would be kickass to
see a WB do the giveup one :D

SiL ..:..

Jesterthegreat
05-10-04, 16:06
It's called resist force. Spec some and wear armor/bone enforcements. With the TL 20-ish armor, full set of level 1 bone enforcements, deflector, heal, and 50 to 75 in Resist Force, they're not a problem.

Am I the only Spy who caps Psi and gets STR to 20+ before going to where the dragonflies live?

every char i have except my tank caps resist force...

its not that they hurt loads, its that they hit lots, have massive range (IE 1 zone :p), have a tiny hitbox, and move fast.

tbh the best melee practice there is is finding a swarm of them and taking them all down. do this and you can beat the most "dodgy" player anyday :D

MrChumble
05-10-04, 16:21
I assume so. No one else would be daft enough to cap subskills before going into newbie leveling areas o_O

Seven
05-10-04, 22:17
ROFLMAO @ MrChumble's sig. :lol: :lol:

Xizor
05-10-04, 22:25
Hehe nice post :)

Remember in beta when they were like 10 times the size they are now...

One time in beta4 I looted a hell of a lot of mutants and was loaded with rifels and shit I could barely move...Ahh there it is..The exit...Oh wait, what's that sound!? No oh god please no...BAM, legs away...BAM...AUCH WTF GO AWAY...BAM... - dead..

jernau
05-10-04, 23:01
While I agree they are insane for their rank I think it would be wrong to fix them now. They are part of NC folklore and we have so little of that left now we shouldn't waste it. It'll be a sad day when I see newbies dashing out to farm dragonflies because they got overnerfed so I say leave them as they are.

@MaGn0lia - Spiderbots can be annoying now but I'd hardly call them a major threat unless something is going horribly wrong (eg you are stunned by a WB and trying to hide). The speed upgrade was just a bit too much.

@Xizor - I don't remember dragonflies being different in Beta. WBs were larger in B2 or B3.

MrChumble
05-10-04, 23:05
They are part of NC folklore and we have so little of that left now we shouldn't waste it.
I have to confess I do love to hate them :)

Obsidian X
05-10-04, 23:46
I have to confess I do love to hate them :)

Ah I remember trekking to the MB on foot as a 7/12 melee PE, running for ages (I had the worst con setup you can imagine - poor runspeed) and then got owned by a dragonfly near that lake. Took me nearly an hour just to get that far as well. Good times *sigh*