PDA

View Full Version : Neocron using a student connection

garyu69
04-10-04, 19:24
So i am now down in Portsmouth uni, got the PC setup and online now.

But.... NC2 won't work :'(

Does anyone know of anything i need to do, ie open some ports somehow. Or is there something i can do to get it to work.

It just won't connect to the server :(

Lachlan
04-10-04, 19:36
What's the error? Try setting localport to something, you may have a NAT'd address.

Vithar
04-10-04, 19:37
Try the Connection Issues (http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=36) information on the original homepage. It might have the something that will help you. ;)

Good luck.

V

garyu69
04-10-04, 19:58
What's the error? Try setting localport to something, you may have a NAT'd address.
It basically will do nothing, i open up NC2 and click launch, this is what happens (see attached)

have done a scan on ports from 1 - 8000 and all of them are closed so i am assuming the rest are too.
Have tried a tracert on the server IP which hits on the first and last hop but times out on all the others.

Vithar, i'm assuming that the NC2 server is different to the NC1, the one i got for NC2 is 62.140.29.50 which i got from the neocron.ini file. would this be correct?

I'm not going to pay for this connection if i cannot get NC2 :mad:

But on the plus side at the momnet it is a 4meg connection for free. just no open ports it seems.

KRIMINAL99
04-10-04, 22:38
School connections do all kinds of nasty stuff to censor and control what goes through them, its really lame IMO.

-Demon-
05-10-04, 00:30
School connections do all kinds of nasty stuff to censor and control what goes through them, its really lame IMO.

As you get it for free I wouldn't complain too much about it. As it's mainly there as a learning aid.

Plus they don't want to get busted when some idiots share a load of music and stuff down the pipe.

BaDDaSS
05-10-04, 01:05
Find the port numbers on the page V posted, and ask your Network Administrator to open up those ports for you :)

Usually they do.

Good luck.

Vithar
05-10-04, 01:31
Vithar, i'm assuming that the NC2 server is different to the NC1, the one i got for NC2 is 62.140.29.50 which i got from the neocron.ini file. would this be correct?The server IP is different, yes, but the ports used to connect should be the same.

You need the ports opened up in order to connect and communicate with the Game and Update Servers.

Good luck.

V

NS_CHROME54
05-10-04, 01:42
[ edited ]

Necrosadistic
05-10-04, 01:45
You can almost never play online games at Uni...

Although they never actually check where you go, or what you download :D

Good luck, but you will be in a world of shit if they find out you are playing games...

NS_CHROME54
05-10-04, 01:50
You can almost never play online games at Uni...

Although they never actually check where you go, or what you download :D

Good luck, but you will be in a world of shit if they find out you are playing games...

"oh no he's using 2 kilobytes per second to play online games!"
"well kid it seems you paid thousands upon thousands of dollars to get into this school. i hope you don't like refunds."

KRIMINAL99
05-10-04, 04:35
As you get it for free I wouldn't complain too much about it. As it's mainly there as a learning aid.

Plus they don't want to get busted when some idiots share a load of music and stuff down the pipe.

Who gives a flying poop if you get it for free if you can't use it for anything other than school research oO. You can't get your own internet in there... But then dorms are just generally retarded anyways, you pay like the same price as an apt at many schools and then they are all up in your buisness, you share the same room, and you share bathrooms and stuff. [ edited ]

garyu69
05-10-04, 13:08
Asked someone at the uni today if we are able to get certain ports open for certain applications. He pretty much said nope, their network firewall is solid.
:(

Dribble Joy
05-10-04, 13:25
Virtually all unis use firewalls on thier halls connections.
It's to stop people eating BW with things like kazaa/edonkey/BT. 2000+ people all ULing at half a meg would not be favoured.

ex-machina
05-10-04, 14:27
Hey, at least you have internet in halls - when I lived in halls last year only the first two houses were in range for the wireless network and the rest were basically told to fuck off.

-Demon-
05-10-04, 14:33
Who gives a flying poop if you get it for free if you can't use it for anything other than school research oO. You can't get your own internet in there... But then dorms are just generally retarded anyways, you pay like the same price as an apt at many schools and then they are all up in your buisness, you share the same room, and you share bathrooms and stuff. [ edited ]

It's still free that means you get what your given! Welcome to uni life sharing with others! Sure you don't have to use dorms, but it's better as for alot of ppl its the first time away from home etc.

At the end of the day it's a free connection they are not going to open up as that would open them up to piracy on a scale that doesn't even bear thinking about. Then think about the law suits on unis for said piracy distro and then think of the price hikes to pay for said law suits.

[ edited ]

Spermy
05-10-04, 16:24

[ edited ]

Working at uni>failing your freaking course and shelling out 4k on a loan + tuition fees - all 1K seeing as you never finished, nor justified the LEA paying for you cos you did sod all but play neocron.

Long equation.

Too right rooms are expensive in some places - mine was 50quid a week, for that We had Ensuite bathrooms, and cleaners - a Kick ass kitchen. Central heating etc. Was lush. We also had a commen room in each block of flats - One big room between 36 isn't bad compared to one wee room between a whole bleeding community of peoples like it is where I'm going now!

If you wanna play NC - go and pay for a connection - Fact - a one meg line from a lesser known ISP over a BT connection is 70 quid, Each floor had 2 sides of 6 people - my side had one meg between us all - about 15 quid. not bad at all.

dem0n
10-10-04, 02:36
the ports arent entirely the same, I'm also getting a connection on port 28965 etc.

Kali
10-10-04, 22:18
Ja-Net (AKA uk Uni-connections) will only Alow HTTP packets and a few other "select" types of data packets to pass. EVEN if you got a port to connect to NC server you would have no hope of passing the packet sniffer. Ja-Net is goverment funded and pretty much "Iron pants of doom locked down", there is no way you can fuc£ with it :p, unless you can find a server admin willing to lose his job for you few moments of fun... sorry but your just not ever gonna play NC on the UNI con

thank you come again :D

Nidhogg
10-10-04, 22:37
Get used to it too. Most companies won't let you play either (mine doesn't :/ )

N

/edit - keep the flaming/trolling down pls.

Brammers
10-10-04, 22:38
Ahh so JANET finally did do a big lockdown on the ports. It wasn't unusual for a student to run a server with illegal software for donwload from the halls. :wtf:

I also keep hearing from my old university computing society, and the problems they have with trying to do anything interesting on their servers without either running into the firewall or the long arm of the computer services department.

(eXo) Opaleye
05-11-04, 22:04
Only solution sems to be to get together with a few others in the dorm and move out.

Got to get you back ingame bro this situation will not do at all !!

Nidhogg
05-11-04, 22:10
Please don't bump old threads.

N