PDA

View Full Version : This new GUI???

Corp
04-10-04, 19:22
To be honest i must say that the new GUI is really messy.
Why all this new futuristic grids, it makes it nearly impossible to navigate and read...

Is is true that the Neolauncher is now is forbidden or whats the deal?
I really wanna change to a new smoother GUI!

Vithar
04-10-04, 19:32
There have been some concerns already expressed regarding the new RPOS design. (I personally like it ;))

Unfortunately NO modifications to ANY of Neocron 2's files are permitted without prior authorization form ReaKKtor, with the exception of regularly modifiable .ini files.

Basically, the only thing you can modify about the RPOS is it's color.

Also, don't forget that you can minimize every part of the RPOS except the stats window in the lower right hand corner of the screen. ;)

V

joran420
04-10-04, 19:44
plus there are several presets(which you can change with different RPOS ini files) comes with 9 defaults

/set gfx_hudcolor 0
/set gfx_hudcolor 1
/set gfx_hudcolor 9

play around with them that may help

StryfeX
04-10-04, 19:51
I'd just as soon KK commission Dazist to port over one (or more :D) of his HUDs and just have a switch in one of the ini's to choose between them.

The new one is nice and pretty, but nice and pretty does not always mean functional. It's too cluttered and if you stack a few windows, it gets pretty hard to tell the borders apart.

--Stryfe

Corp
04-10-04, 20:15
I'd just as soon KK commission Dazist to port over one (or more :D) of his HUDs and just have a switch in one of the ini's to choose between them.

The new one is nice and pretty, but nice and pretty does not always mean functional. It's too cluttered and if you stack a few windows, it gets pretty hard to tell the borders apart.

--Stryfe

Exactly, but playing around with the ini files just changes the colors right?

Dribble Joy
04-10-04, 20:21
Also, don't forget that you can minimize every part of the RPOS except the stats window in the lower right hand corner of the screen. ;)

V
Onoz! How?

Lexxuk
04-10-04, 20:28
hit the minimize arrow which is somewhere on them, like how you used to be able to hide your quickslots.

the GUI is to be honest one of the biggest turn offs in the game, some may like it, but its like the difference between American sports cars and European sports cars, the Americans like bold and brassy, the Europeans like smooth well rounded lines, which doesnt explain the GUI... get Aston Martin to make a GUI their cars are sooooooooo sexy

Jesterthegreat
04-10-04, 23:40
Onoz! How?

as lex says, the little arrows. has been like that since closed beta :D

BaDDaSS
04-10-04, 23:51
/set gfx_hudcolor 9 is my personally favourite :D (see Author :P)

Jesterthegreat
04-10-04, 23:52
/set gfx_hudcolor 9 is my personally favourite :D (see Author :P)

when i upgrade ill copy my beta colour scheme over

boneybob
05-10-04, 00:33
Ok, so changes arent permitted.....

So what if you cant read the text in the new GUI? i cannot acctualy physicaly see some of the wrighting coz its boxy shape instead of curvyness.

And also that GUI may look cooler but i dont realy think its much of an improvment, its far to intrusive when running the game on low resolutions. :(

BB

kurai
05-10-04, 00:40
Oh yeah - that reminds me to re-submit my "de-frilled" RPOS to Iorghe for inspection before I post it publicly.

Seven
05-10-04, 06:59
OMG teh new HUD is the suxOrz.

Erm, did I mention that already? :p

IceStorm
05-10-04, 07:27
Also, don't forget that you can minimize every part of the RPOS except the stats window in the lower right hand corner of the screen.How does that help me READ the information the RPOS provides?

I have to run at 1152x864 now in order to FIT all the windows that I used to have open at 1024x768 on the screen. The new "space" added around the actual information displays is chewing up screen real estate. Increasing resolution doesn't help much because the text doesn't scale and the font choices are awful. I can never tell if a 5 is a 6 or vice versa.

The new RPOS is a big step down compared to the previous one in terms of functional access to information.

ino
05-10-04, 08:13
Yeah the hud... Im not gonna say its awful, but it sure is bloated cut off some unessecary blipp blopp and it will be fine.

Birkoff
05-10-04, 09:27
*thanks BaDDaS*

MaGn0lia
05-10-04, 09:44
Why we just can't have an option so we can select the old GUI back, or KK could make some new GUI options where to choose, they are so easy to modify that I could do some versions for you to authorize, or autorize some of the neocron launcher r.p.o.s.

I mean it, KK this could be so easy to fix and be done with the hundreds of angry posts to forums, would you pay to me to make you angry, cause I can do that if you pay me 13euros a month, I'll move next to you and keep making annoying noices and keep hitting you in the arm and so on.

Maybe I get more subscriptions from old neocron players that left, I bet they miss annoying things that they have to pay for.

kurai
05-10-04, 11:31
It's not quite as simple as that, I'm afraid.

The active areas, buttons, text fields, font handling and window bounding fields are hard coded separately from the overlay graphics (which are the only parts we can edit)

So although we can remove the messy and distracting frilly stuff the inherent ergonomic flaws are still there for the most part.

I've done a scheme and submited it, but it's just touching up the superficialities, in reality.

If there is a possibilty of a *proper* alternative from KK then please, please, please look at the ergonomics first, and design the artwork around that, rather than vice versa.

Some suggestions :-

Eliminate wasted space at the edge of the screen.

Make the active borders of the window much closer to the edges of the displayed information.

Choose a font/fonts that are *readable* at the available resolutions.

Choose a font that has greater distinction between similar looking characters.

Make buttons and widgets larger, or properly scaleable with resolution.

Place the buttons so that their location and use is intuitive rather than at the mercy of the spaces the artwork leaves.

Make the right click on player box larger or scaled to resolution, or as proper buttons.

Make the text areas actually large enough to accomodate the contained text at a given resolution, or at the very least make those boxes horizontally scrollable.

Put scroll arrows at the end of the scroll-bars, so you can click and hold to scroll down lists rather than have to solely use drag bars.

Make the subdivisions in the Custom list individually colourable.

Perhaps make the `critical` area of the HLT/STA/PSI start a little earlier so it turns red (or whatever you have chosen) earlier.

For that matter why not return to the old style wide vertical status bars, but with the new `value` colourings.
It was much easier to tell at a glance exactly what your status was.

Make the compass heading easier to distinguish.

Put an indication of `unspent` skill points on the left hand frame of the Skills window (an asterisk next to the main skill name perhaps) so that you don't have to look at the right hand pane for each skill.

And one last ergonomic thing - not strictly RPOS ...
Speed up the `scroll-reveal` of the name of whatver your reticle is hovering over. It's too slow currently.

That's rather a grab bag of ideas, in no particular structured order, and I'm sure others will have their own suggestions.
I've tried to offer constructive solutions that will actually increase utility and legibility instead of simply screaming "It's crap, change it !"

As it stands it's an ... interesting ... static work of art, but not a coherent or effective user interface.

I appreciate that someone put a fair bit of work into it and that some change elements might take a similar amount of work to adjust, but a Neocron player spends an *awful* lot of time looking at and using (or trying to, at least) the RPOS, so it's pretty essential it actually achieves the task it's there for.

Some of the mechanics changes from the NC1 version are very welcome ... please keep working on it :D

Crest
05-10-04, 11:42
Make the chat window sizeable both verticaly and horizontaly ... Here I got this massive space at bottom, and have to read 10 lines when someone says a few words ... so you need it accross to the top of the screen to make any sense , this means 1 / 2 messages at a time in small mode,

kurai
05-10-04, 11:49
Make the chat window sizeable both verticaly and horizontaly ...
Err ... it already is. (a welcome change from NC1)

Just click and drag the widget in the top right across as well as up.

Oh - and one other one many people haven't noticed ...

The generep list is drag expandable (vertically) as well as re-orderable.

MasterBee
05-10-04, 12:07
The biggest problem with the new RPOS as i see it, is it's size and space-wastedness (that a word?). I used to play NC1 @800*600 with 3 windows open all the time (inventory, processor, skill) and enough space in lower left for box/gogo window.
Now I can have 2 windows open at most, and if I decide to open skill window, well then - that takes up most of screen space.
WE WANT OLD RPOS BACK!!

Dribble Joy
05-10-04, 12:19
The old rpos at 800x600 was too cramped, I have all my windows open all the time. It was much better suited to 1024x768.

In the same vien, the new rpos is better suited to 1200x800.

I can still get most if not all the new rpos windows open in 1024x768 anyway.

MasterBee
05-10-04, 12:36
I can't play @1024*768 on my 17" monitor, because the small font makes my eyes hurt. And now they added this horrid blocky type font... ugh

tkNukem
05-10-04, 15:30
I can't play @1024*768 on my 17" monitor, because the small font makes my eyes hurt. And now they added this horrid blocky type font... ughfo sho.
1600x1200 on an 18" monitor (i think) - the letters are soooo fubar. i do not like the size of the font. also, the size of the armor window is not cool. i'm too used to the armor window of nc1 that took up half the window, relatively.
does rpos modifcation = perma ban?

SorkZmok
05-10-04, 15:35

V
I like the new rpos and that you can remove all windows. But please make it so i can remove chat without removing my local list! It sucks when i cant see if anyone is approaching me.

Jesterthegreat
05-10-04, 16:31
Choose a font/fonts that are *readable* at the available resolutions.

Choose a font that has greater distinction between similar looking characters.

Make the text areas actually large enough to accomodate the contained text at a given resolution, or at the very least make those boxes horizontally scrollable.

Put scroll arrows at the end of the scroll-bars, so you can click and hold to scroll down lists rather than have to solely use drag bars.

Make the subdivisions in the Custom list individually colourable.

Put an indication of `unspent` skill points on the left hand frame of the Skills window (an asterisk next to the main skill name perhaps) so that you don't have to look at the right hand pane for each skill.

these are the most importat points IMO.

tbh i dont mind the new RPOS. it definatly grows on you, but even if the RPOS stays the same i would like these tweaks

MrChumble
05-10-04, 16:33
Some suggestions :-
All brilliant. I really hope KK read that and are taking notes.

hinch
05-10-04, 17:05
just copy the swg hud now that hud is teh win indeed 100% configurable :) just gotta be done im affraid

GIJ0e
05-10-04, 17:19
tbh at 1024x768 the current rpos is extremely intrusive, i have to play at 1280 x 1024 to get my screen back, which makes the text very small and not that easy to read.

yeah its very futuristic looking, but its not massively practical. for example at 1280 the trade window is very small, and the "take all" type buttons are a thin little sliver of a button, which when looting a grim under fire can be a little hard to hit first time

they wont change it though, its obviously someones pet little project. what they should have done was perhaps suggest some designs and get input from the community on them. instead of thinking "omg i made teh sexiest rpos evar! what? you want to change it? FUCK YOU BUDDY!!!111oneleven"

-Demon-
05-10-04, 17:27
The main problem I have is with the gr window and finding it among the other windows and trying to use it quick to escape is next to impossible.

Also agree that probably the change is not forth coming as who ever made it thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Shakari
05-10-04, 18:45
To be honest i must say that the new GUI is really messy.
Why all this new futuristic grids, it makes it nearly impossible to navigate and read...

Is is true that the Neolauncher is now is forbidden or whats the deal?
I really wanna change to a new smoother GUI!

messy is an understatement :(

Terayon
05-10-04, 20:15
ya try playing nc2 at 800x600. all you see is green and a tiny recticle in the middle. but with the rez at 1200x800 i like the new gui.

Dazist
05-10-04, 21:52
There were lots of talk during betas about the new rpos. Mainly about it taking too much space and features which are missing. Nothing happened.

I won't be making new rpos graphics anymore due me not playing Neocron 2. Even if modding is forbidden there is always be underground modding community. Some rpos graphics mods are already out.

ZyproN
05-10-04, 22:37
Can we get a prewview of the new one ;) Please :angel:

kurai
05-10-04, 23:05
Screenshot of work in progress from Open Beta ...

http://www.hrmmm.co.uk/nc/NC2-RPOS-new-default.jpg

MrChumble
05-10-04, 23:09
That is SO much better Kurai. You can actually tell where one window ends and another begins!

Freaky Fryd
06-10-04, 13:30
OMG! Kurai has shown me there is a God!
:lol:

That one looks soooooo much better than the clunky "1970's futuristic space movie" we have now...

Clear lines of where the windows begin/end are my biggest problem with the interface.

Although, HUGE props to KK for the sortable GR list that can be expanded!

MaGn0lia
06-10-04, 13:36
Yeah, after just removing the "post-apokalyptik hax0r leetness" wich KK insists to keep the gui actually IS better than the older.

Spikadelia
06-10-04, 15:30
Kudos to Kurai for his work on the graphics

I personally loathe the new HUD with surprising intensity...rather chew my own nipple off without anaesthetic is how I'd put it.

All the major gripes have been addressed in this thread, ie clumsy Fonts, cluttered screens as well as some good suggestions from the community. So KK please rescue our screens from this eye-bleeding monstrosity. It's what we stare at for those endless hours lost on the radioactive side....

Seven
06-10-04, 19:13
FIVE BIG ASS STARS :cool: