PDA

View Full Version : for the love of god KK FIX FRE's

GIJ0e
02-10-04, 20:06
am thoroughly enjoying nc2, killed a few peeps, took a couple of ops got a clan together with a few m8's etc etc (black dragon)

doy is dead as the grave but slowly filling up, clan mate reports being ganked by biotech in crahn sector "yay" thinks I, a fight, so i toodle of for some fun (would have lost anyway apu with a fucking godmachine, sorry ppu in tow) but that wouldnt have bothered me.

what DID bother me is i get to crah sector, and BAM fre, by the time i relog i am dead so i dint have chance to die in a fight, which i wouldnt have minded, but i died because of a bug TWO YEARS OLD. i get the impression that the fre thing has just been written off as "down to peoples machines" but i dont think it is, i think its an engine problem. hardware problems can usually be pinned down with enough error reports. PLEASE look at it. i don't need new content, i would MUCH rather have a stable game. i want to turn up to a fight and not have to think "hope i dont FRE"

also, those people who generally come along and go "omgomg i dont fre your a whining loser omg kos" please dont bother, i'm not the only one to have this 2 year old problem, if it wasnt a problem we wouldnt still be talking about it.

my fingers are tired now :(

edit: you think i should change my sig after the "i like a fight" confession? :lol:

MrChumble
02-10-04, 20:09
Not quite sure how you can have a two year old problem on a game that's been out 4 days :rolleyes:

If you're using DX7 try DX9 and vice-versa. Post your error logs in the bug tracker when you FRE.

How many times have you FRE'd in NC2? Since starting in beta I've had 3, which is a massive improvement over NC1.

GIJ0e
02-10-04, 20:15
Not quite sure how you can have a two year old problem on a game that's been out 4 days :rolleyes:

please, the game engine isnt THAT new or revamped :rolleyes: as i said, if you dont fre ever, thats just hunky dorey for you. but there are plenty of people who still do. now i'll agree FRE's DO occur less in nc2, but when you consider i used to play that FPS mmorpg (endless ages was it) and it never crashed once, it just proves it can be done.

i shouldnt have to stand on one leg, whistle dixie and throw salt over my shoulder to get a lack of FRE's either

Dribble Joy
02-10-04, 20:17
Most people's 'FREs' are simply when thier memory runs out, due to the mem leak problem.
When this is fixed, the vast majority of FREs should dissapear.
I have never had problems with FREs in NC anyway, other than zoning/exiting, I think only one or twice.

GIJ0e
02-10-04, 20:19
nah i had plenty of memory left, can usually play for 2 hours before it creeps down enough to warrant a restart.

i'm not quitting over it or anything, its just if i die and have to find a poker (currently i cant mine is temporarily the only alt who can poke :D ) through no fault of my own it tends to piss me off, especially when you consider i am playing on pandore and i dont speak french :lol:

zcasper420
02-10-04, 20:27

If you're using DX7 try DX9 and vice-versa. Post your error logs in the bug tracker when you FRE.

How many times have you FRE'd in NC2? Since starting in beta I've had 3, which is a massive improvement over NC1.

You gotta be kidding me Chumble.... SOOOOO many bugs carried over from NC1, FRE's being one of them. PE PA dissapears when u die, doors dont open all the way in the same locations as NC1, and many many more. I find it amusing you think this game is 4 days old. This is nothing more than an update disguised as a new game. Get a clue.

MrChumble
02-10-04, 20:31
You gotta be kidding me Chumble....
No, I'm always 100% serious. I have no sense of humour to speak of.

MkVenner
02-10-04, 20:34
so far ive had 1 FRE in NC2, and 2 in beta....not to bad tbh

Spy XX
02-10-04, 20:43
Well main problem with fre is that they are not caused by one problem which is easy to fix but by several problems. Best way to support the dev team to fix those fre's is to attach your error.log and callstack.log to your post so they at least got a chance to track it down. Problem is that some fre's only happen on certain hardware/software combinations, thus making it nearly impossible for the dev team to track them down/fix them. Imho they already did a good job and fixed a lot of the common cases causing a FRE since NC1.

jiga
03-10-04, 01:20
I think that the FREs have something to do with Click-2-Pay.

Wolf
03-10-04, 01:27
I think that the FREs have something to do with Click-2-Pay.

lol sounds about right, they cancelled my account just cos i put my phone number in wrong (on purpose so i dont get god damn double-glazing calling every 5 mins).
Had to ring up & answer a load of questions. The woman also said theres a limit of £2.50 a week on my account atm & if i wanted to increase it, id have to go thru a few more checks.

I mean wtf, this game costs what 7-8 quid a month? just seems all too much of a piss-about, i could understand it if i was spending something like £80+ but £7? :rolleyes:

Radamez
03-10-04, 01:36
I'm with ya GiJoe, the pathetic instability of this game is the sole reason i'm not playing atm.

I hate having to worry about fataling/syncing when in combat situations (hell, any situation) .. the stress it causes when you die to such things is just not worth it IMO. nor is the cost of replacing hardware you've smashed in a fit of rage.

Those that don't crash or have performance issues, good for you. For some of us this game is barely playable and we pay just as much as you.

We just want to enjoy the game...

I've kidded myself into thinking they'll fix this shit for the past year, I keep coming back because I love the game and kick myself for it every time.

Dan Szeen
03-10-04, 02:07
what are the chances of them fixing this up and giving us an actual upgrade rather than downgrade? (had to pay for the downgrade too!) :)

I heard somewhere that the sky textures were 32 bit and have been scaled down to 16 bit textures.. is this the same same with walls, floors etc? Cause at the moment I think they look worst than in NC1?

Perhaps they are the same.... thought they were meant to be high quality now or something?

At the moment I am not sure why I paid 19 or so euro's for this thing? Some of the models are getting better though (player models only... whats up with the NPC's?!?)

hmmmmm would be good if it all gets radically better in the next month or so though :)

Dan

Ozambabbaz
03-10-04, 02:28
i must say, nc2 retail is _alot_ more stable on my system than nc2 beta, and sofar also more stable than nc1, with the same win install and 1gen updated gfx+mobo drivers

Jesterthegreat
03-10-04, 13:02
You gotta be kidding me Chumble.... SOOOOO many bugs carried over from NC1, FRE's being one of them. PE PA dissapears when u die, doors dont open all the way in the same locations as NC1, and many many more. I find it amusing you think this game is 4 days old. This is nothing more than an update disguised as a new game. Get a clue.

FRE is not a bug... its the result of a bug / bugs.

i imagine if it was a simple as adding "Set fre 0" they would have done it a long time ago. tbh i havent upgraded to NC2 yet but from what i hear its way better than NC1 (crash wise)

Vampire222
03-10-04, 13:40
in the 3 days i play it now... like 15 hours total or something... 1 fre....

notneo
03-10-04, 16:38
i get a mem leak problem,had to install a mem booster utility to recover the leak,works better now

GIJ0e
03-10-04, 17:31
the FRE's are less (speaking subjectivly, i havent statted the fuckers or anything lol) but still happen. guess that one just chose a bad time =(

notneo
03-10-04, 22:33
nah i find it just as bad