PDA

View Full Version : TG Freedom strike grenades...

jiga
01-10-04, 21:38
I can't believe I wasted my time doing the TG epics for those pieces of crap. First of all they do fuck all dmg (43 to a high level tank). I get something stupid like 123% dmg and about 93% aiming on them while I can still cap my crappy 1 slot CS. Grenades are also realllyyy hard to hit someone with unless they are standing 2 meters away and aren't moving. I was expecting them to do REVENGE type dmg. Is there gonna be a boost in the near future? Do people agree with me?

msdong
01-10-04, 21:42
they look cool on your belt without PA.

jiga
01-10-04, 21:44
they look cool on your belt without PA.
So do trash grenades but you don't need to do an epic to get them

amfest
01-10-04, 21:51
I think grenades need to be reworked anyhow. I think about the only times though that grenades would be useful is throwing over walls though that doesn't really work out well . .. or maybe if you're on the top of a high shaft or ladder .. like throwing down on poeple in gaya mine . .. 43 doesn't sound too bad considering it does AOE dmg and you don't have to have line of sight. What's the furthest you can throw it? It's been a while since I actually threw a grenade >_>

Judge
01-10-04, 21:51
lmoa... I should hope that they get a boost.

From the sounds of it they suck. :p

msdong
01-10-04, 21:53
dont ruin my imagination that it is a cool item. PEs can use it.

€:43 would be OK when u dont need to swich weapon and reload your quickbelt. :)

amfest
01-10-04, 22:11
That would be great .. a seperate grenade key . ..so you never have to take up a quickbelt slot and can just throw as many as you have for any given situation.

NS_CHROME54
01-10-04, 22:12
what would be better would be a grenade launcher called a "Freedom Striker"

tkNukem
01-10-04, 22:18
can you guys post pics of the grenade stats and the grenade on urself?
i'm interested to see what they look like.

Heavyporker
01-10-04, 22:30
I'd settle if grenades got 3x the damage for 1/2 the RoF (throw speed)

The accuracy of grenades are pretty decent actually... any experience with a grenade launcher tells you to crouch, aim high and lead the target.

Grenade launchers rox, too bad the highest one is only TL 40 or something. :(

jiga
01-10-04, 23:47
The problem with it is that theres absolutely no use for it

Heavyporker
01-10-04, 23:53
there is every use for grenades and grenade launchers.

They're essentially the only arcing non-LOS weapons in the game.

That means you can lob them behind/over walls and harass and harm your enemies with ease.

43 damage on a gentank for one hit from a TL 75 weapon doesn't sound so shabby. Probaby better than most others at that level... a full shot from a TSG or TGC probably does less (although I'll grant they do far more over time thanks to RoF)

That said, I won't complain if they upped the damage appreciably (and increased the TL of the tangent grenade launcher and normal grenade launcher so as to do more damage)

jiga
01-10-04, 23:59
there is every use for grenades and grenade launchers.

They're essentially the only arcing non-LOS weapons in the game.

That means you can lob them behind/over walls and harass and harm your enemies with ease.

43 damage on a gentank for one hit from a TL 75 weapon doesn't sound so shabby. Probaby better than most others at that level... a full shot from a TSG or TGC probably does less (although I'll grant they do far more over time thanks to RoF)

That said, I won't complain if they upped the damage appreciably (and increased the TL of the tangent grenade launcher and normal grenade launcher so as to do more damage)
43 damage is from a direct hit. What are the chances of getting a direct hit on someone by throwing one blind over a wall at a moving target? I just don't think that it's worthy of being an epic item

Heavyporker
02-10-04, 00:02
well, to be honest, when were grenades ever an accuracy-based weapon?

AoE by principle doesn't care about precision.

Hippieman
02-10-04, 00:06
The Freedom Striker is suppose to be as strong as a Moon Striker rocket. Im not sure how much a Moonie does a rocket. But jack the Freedom Striker to do that much damage.

jiga
02-10-04, 00:08
well, to be honest, when were grenades ever an accuracy-based weapon?

AoE by principle doesn't care about precision.
Well, since when did you need to crouch to throw one and since when did they tickle instead of shred you to pieces

Darkana
02-10-04, 10:14
http://www.mantris.net/darkana/tg-275.jpg

Richard Slade
02-10-04, 10:55
hey, I had 30 of those handed to me by a NPC in beta, and I was Crahn :wtf: didn't anyone try them out at that time?

LiL T
02-10-04, 11:03
43 damage imo is not poor considering its tech lvl is lower than my libby and does roughly the same damage as it.

Richard Slade
02-10-04, 11:06
43 damage imo is not poor considering its tech lvl is lower than my libby and does roughly the same damage as it.
thing is that your libby slaps hellishly many more shots than someone has grenades

jiga
02-10-04, 11:23
Well before you can throw a grenade accurately you need to be crouched for about 5 seconds and in that time you are very vunerable to attacks. Also if they are moving theres almost no chance that you will hit them and if you manage to get it near them you would be lucky if it did 10 dmg. It also slows down your run speed as if your holding a cannon. Also keep mind that it's epic item so it's supposed to be powerful for it's tl.

MrChumble
02-10-04, 11:26
Don't put the cart before the horse :)

Sort out the nade system then sort out the damage balance. Have a "throw grenade" key that either does something cunning like throw the type of nade you've activated in your nade holder slot (to be added :)) or does something more brute force like just lobs the first nade it finds in your inv, leaving it up to the player to sort the inv out in some sensible manner.

Add accuracy penalities for moving and throwing, force the active weapon to cycle it's drop -> nade throw -> raise anim to limit fire frequency. Should be fairly balanced.

Once a system like this is in place and people are able to use nades in combat then it will be much easier to tweak the balance.

That all said I've always assumed nades were for PvM not PvP, not that I use them for either (every class has better alternatives, nades should be AoE for spies :D)

LiL T
02-10-04, 15:15
well they should remove the retical on nade launchers and things no need to aim a nade

KRIMINAL99
02-10-04, 16:02
BTW the thing about the NPC sometimes handing them out to random people still happens. I walked by with my tradeskiller and got 10 of them just for talking to HEFF.

I agree that the priority is to do something about the terrible system they use, the grenade key (or else just make it a high level grenade launcher instead, it would have the same effect)

The system is based off reality but thats stupid because in reality one grenade would kill anyone and anything in its range where as in this game one measily grenade doesn't do anything (unless maybe they jacked up the damage REALLY high like as if it was as strong as a capped Silent Hunter shot). Make a system for rapid use of them.

LiL T
02-10-04, 16:23
strong as a capped Silent Hunter shot

Plz think of how bad that would be..

awkward silence
02-10-04, 17:47
dont ruin my imagination that it is a cool item. PEs can use it.

€:43 would be OK when u dont need to swich weapon and reload your quickbelt. :)

yeah only hc pe's pfft i was all exited bout em just to see their crap and a cant use em on a pistol pe...then again my pe is pistol.

Heavyporker
02-10-04, 23:14
actually, making a special bandolieer belt for grenades to be put in a quickbelt slot would rock (as in, equipping a bandolieer gives you 10 rounds of grenades).

Then you get that awesome visual of a bandolieerful of 'nades on your chest.

Moving on.

Grenades simply need a greater area of effect and a faster aim time to make them less of a liability in a rapid-use situation.

But still, as they are now, they're really quite good for lobbing over walls, as I've said.

And, oh man, those lowbie hand grenades are so fun to use on the very easy missions. If you get a bunch of bugs together, you can wipe them out fast and easy with 1 or 2 'nads, than shooting each separately.

jiga
03-10-04, 00:26
actually, making a special bandolieer belt for grenades to be put in a quickbelt slot would rock (as in, equipping a bandolieer gives you 10 rounds of grenades).

Then you get that awesome visual of a bandolieerful of 'nades on your chest.

Moving on.

Grenades simply need a greater area of effect and a faster aim time to make them less of a liability in a rapid-use situation.

But still, as they are now, they're really quite good for lobbing over walls, as I've said.

And, oh man, those lowbie hand grenades are so fun to use on the very easy missions. If you get a bunch of bugs together, you can wipe them out fast and easy with 1 or 2 'nads, than shooting each separately.
I think they blow up in the air if you try to throw them at an angle of over 45 degrees

Heavyporker
03-10-04, 00:52
uhh.. don't think I've ever had that happen to me.

But then, I don't throw grenades directly overhead.

Anyone that does that inevitably ends up being a candidate for the Darwin Award.

jiga
03-10-04, 01:15
uhh.. don't think I've ever had that happen to me.

But then, I don't throw grenades directly overhead.

Anyone that does that inevitably ends up being a candidate for the Darwin Award.
I said over 45 not 90