PDA

View Full Version : KK What have you done to my NC?!

QuantumDelta
30-09-04, 05:10
I thought I'd turn the tables on something: Whining.

I'm impressed.

I've been ingame for two hours now, sure, not too long, but seriously;

I've run most of the world map, on 1600x1200x16, and on 1024x768x32.

All Details on maximum 'cept vege - which is on, just not maxed.

FPS?
Heh, ya know what? I've been doing so much better with the frame rate in NC2, not once has it gotten down into the 20s, or even 30s, even in the town at Seiger.

Yes, force fogging off.

It's really great that you managed to start sorting that one out.
On that note, is it possible to turn Vsync off?

Also:

Not one crash, the entire time, and like I said, I covered a good two thirds of the world map, including some doublebacking.

one bug to report;

Character models, err, it looks like some chars have their hair set too low into their head, makes them look balding.

It'd also be nice to change chars looks after roll/transfer because mine look fugly atm :p

Again, I'm impressed anyways, DoY seems great, though you can get lost for hours in there, I know that from beta.

I-09 is odd :p
I'd like to meet a juggernaut at some point too :p

ty for fixing a few of my major gripes with the game, though. =)

WarBrain
30-09-04, 05:33
well in one hour ive been playing, in Terra server at 6% load, i had 2 FRE's and one SYNCH. :wtf:

joran420
30-09-04, 05:36
in about an hour ive had 0 FRE's and 0 synchs....but im sure ill get em :P

and better FPS then beta...least it seems like it to me

new textures on most NPC's

they all speak english now :) (only on international)

lotsa new emotes

I still like it.

rubaduckythug
30-09-04, 06:09
your fps is probably better cause hardly anyone can get there accounts settled. (ie no ones palying besides 10-20 ppl? lol

QuantumDelta
30-09-04, 06:11
your fps is probably better cause hardly anyone can get there accounts settled. (ie no ones palying besides 10-20 ppl? lol
.....Do I really want to...
Should I really......
I think I may as well.

WTF Has the amount of people playing got to do with FPS?
*Breathes*

Please, networking has very little to do with frame rate so just stfu...

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 06:20
Amount on screen does (Tris renderd)
Amount on the server does aswell (What you dont believe me?)

OK LETS GET A FIRM GRASP ON NETWORKING SHALL WE?
Packets are sent, checked and sent again if need be.
When the server is loaded with a lot of connections its more likly to loose a packet or two, forcing you to resend them. now add on to that the other players bring more chatter, actions etc to the game again using more of the CPU cycles.

Drastic differance? No, but a differance none the less. So in future I beg you not to bitch out some one making a joke.

rubaduckythug
30-09-04, 06:28
I wont even fire back at delta with a quick and whitty comback or any thing i just think hes cranky and needs a nap :p

Edit: lets all just get along :cool:

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 06:33
yeah, im mad at kk not him... Going to sleep :p

athon
30-09-04, 10:44
Assuming they didn't change the settings, 100% is 1000 runners online, so that makes for 60 people online while QD was running around.

Athon Solo

Oath
30-09-04, 11:03
No fre's no ctd's, no synche great fps even with full vegetation, force fogging off.

It's just giving more strength to the whole " its your pc not the servers " argument.

naimex
30-09-04, 11:15
??

I´ve been running at 50 to 250 fps constantly with all details on max, and 1024x768x32

Judge
30-09-04, 11:17
I think that the tests will be more conclusive when Terra is at least 50% full.

Should be getting online in the next few days myself...

Superbron
30-09-04, 11:21
I am so longing for a FRE or a synch., because this would imply that I could actually play NC2. :mad:

Fur!4
30-09-04, 11:24
I played for like 3H and not a single Fatal error :D tough my PSI monks PA is bugged the arm is a little bit retarded and the wolfes looks like they have been stretched out :) but nice done i think

SorkZmok
30-09-04, 11:27
Sor far i had no fatals, no synchs, didnt encounter any bugs and had great fps.

Oh wait, i'm still downloading! :p :mad:

djskum
30-09-04, 11:31
Well I fucking love the game! But I had a couple of Fre's last night. My comp isn't to be trusted tho tbh. Needs a rebuild and I don't have the time to do it right now.

Oh and I don't think retransmit packets would affect FPS much, lag yes, fps no. My FPS was fucked last night tho and my memory was maxing out in DoY causing lag. Have to do some machine admin tonight. Might be spyware or smthg.

DjSKum

awkward silence
30-09-04, 12:16
I am so longing for a FRE or a synch., because this would imply that I could actually play NC2. :mad:

DUDE dont jinx it ffs

MaGn0lia
30-09-04, 12:27
If you take all the choppiness of the shotty engine code and fakelags (made by server to prevent you from dropping, this is usually seen as little teleporting of objects and people), analytically these things can't be seen in the (alt+f) stats, I can manage to push framerates of 300 at the most, but all things aside and let's come back to the REAL WORLD, the framerates are still on the Far Cry side on my comp. Which is not bad, I did enjoy good DM in FC thank you very much.

ps. my FC framerates are about 60 or so.

LiL T
30-09-04, 12:32
I had 1 FRE after 4 hours of play

I'll say it again maybe KK will fix it my memory drops to about 20 MB's then I zone and a crash the game is not freeing up memory correctly KK can't you see that :confused:

I'm pretty sure all FRE's are caused by this people with less RAM will FRE more cos they run out of memory much faster . Also still needs tweaking when loading up people avatars I still stutter slightly when ever someone comes into my local. Apart from that this is a very stable game compared to NC1 FPS are steady on my comp but not that high think I'll need to get a new PC ;)

FIX memory LEAK !!!! plz ... :)

Superbron
30-09-04, 12:33
DUDE dont jinx it ffsCome on man, wouldn't you rather have a car that had some problems with it, instead of no car at all?

Dribble Joy
30-09-04, 12:38
I wish they could bring the dx9 drivers back to the state they were in at the end of closed beta, no mem leak, no fps lags. Ok the overall fps has improved since then, due to tweakage, but the mem leak is annoying.

Vampire222
30-09-04, 12:59
Yea, leaks like mad, memory software helps thou

Spermy
30-09-04, 13:21

When the server is loaded with a lot of connections its more likly to loose a packet or two, forcing you to resend them. now add on to that the other players bring more chatter, actions etc to the game again using more of the CPU cycles.

Drastic differance? No, but a differance none the less. So in future I beg you not to bitch out some one making a joke.

Erm - very unlikely to happen unless your connection is a soggy bit of string dude. In future I beg you not to teach people the fundamentals of networking - and go learn them. Or if you have. Re read chapter 1...

LiL T
30-09-04, 14:40

Yeah in old games like quake these games compensate its why you see people flying which is better than a total lock up and a ping of 9999 as your computer has to wait for some 56k dumb ass to resend the packet

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 14:46
Please, networking has very little to do with frame rate so just stfu...

yes it does, if lots is going on and the server cant cope it'll drop packets, meaning your cpu has to work harder to keep up (in basic terms god put it better). often if you join a laggy UT2k4 server the fps will fluctuate wildly, whereas on a stable server it'll remain at 85 steady

trust me i have a lot of experience playing on laggy euro servers in clan games :)

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 14:51
Erm - very unlikely to happen unless your connection is a soggy bit of string dude. In future I beg you not to teach people the fundamentals of networking - and go learn them. Or if you have. Re read chapter 1...

packet loss is far worse for causing fps drops than a high but steady ping. i assume your only online gaming experience is NC?

Spermy
30-09-04, 14:55
No - I assume my network experience is to a degree level dude.

blaczero
30-09-04, 15:08
actually, once the connection is made there is no more double checking of packets and resending of packets. TCP for the initial connection then UDP when you play.

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 16:03
blaczero - CheckSums

Spermy - Sending packets requires CPU cycles and thus effects performance, end of story...
(Please note I said it didnt make much of a differance)

BlackDove
30-09-04, 16:11
Oh yeah. My performance SHATTERS when a packet is sent.

Shut the hell up.

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 16:13
black dove, again notice I never said it made much of a differance.... Just pointing out a technicality to QD.

LiL T
30-09-04, 16:18
The CPU is the central part of a computer yes it would handle the packets but Graphics nowadays are done on the video card its self by the GPU it does not get affected by the packets :rolleyes: . Only what it would display would be affected meaning if you don't get the packet telling your game client that the H-C tank is firing his CS at you. Then you don't see it but your FPS would not be effected you would not take any damage since you can't see the tank firing at you and the server beleaves what your client tells it. Thats why we get people whining that they where shooting at a PE and he was taking no damage thats lag but lag don't effect FPS whats so ever

BlackDove
30-09-04, 16:19
black dove, again notice I never said it made much of a differance.... Just pointing out a technicality to QD.

Nobody gives a shit about technicalities. What we do give a shit about, is what is actually causing performance slow-downs (or in this case, what is NOT causing them).

Like we all don't know that a machine has to work in order to send or recieve packets. We all actually thought that packets are sent and recieved when our computers are off, yet it's good we have you to tell us that it in fact, isn't so.

Shhhhhh PLEASE

This thread was useful until you came in here and started nerding around. Please let us continue with the productive pace.

LiL T
30-09-04, 16:31
If your wondering why your FPS drops or spikes when theres alot of people in your local its because theres only so much your computer can draw on screen. After that it will have a heart attack and start using the RAM and Virtual memory which being the harddisk causes big FPS hits and thats the problem we are seeing NC2 running out of memory.

If they fixed the memory leaks it would stop alot of FRE's Windows needs RAM to run and if anything gets too greedy windows will shut it down period

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 16:40
No - I assume my network experience is to a degree level dude.

cover much online gaming in your degree did they? :rolleyes:

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 16:43
Nobody gives a shit about technicalities. What we do give a shit about, is what is actually causing performance slow-downs (or in this case, what is NOT causing them).

Like we all don't know that a machine has to work in order to send or recieve packets. We all actually thought that packets are sent and recieved when our computers are off, yet it's good we have you to tell us that it in fact, isn't so.

Shhhhhh PLEASE

This thread was useful until you came in here and started nerding around. Please let us continue with the productive pace.

tbh i think you should step away from the keyboard and learn to relax or something. only trying to be helpful and offer some suggestions tbh, if that offends you in some way, just ignore it, dont post like a petulant child.

LiL T
30-09-04, 16:52
Look the point is Connection has got FUCK all to do with FPS and too see some people posting bullshit annoys people as its missleading and then you get people blaming KK's servers for low FPS. Go read a computer book a good computer book instead of talking complete BS

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 18:05
Look the point is Connection has got FUCK all to do with FPS and too see some people posting bullshit annoys people as its missleading and then you get people blaming KK's servers for low FPS. Go read a computer book a good computer book instead of talking complete BS

actually i think i'll write a letter of complaint to Epic / atari as evidently their game engine has been lying to me about the FPS and ping statistics all these years. i'll be sure to quote all your compelling arguments in my letter.

incidently who was blaming KK's servers? packet loss can be caused by any of the hops between you and a server :confused:

QuantumDelta
30-09-04, 18:36
Well, more people on today, haven't noticed any fps drops.

Still waiting :p

--
He's right, it drops a little bit, but, erm, CPU Cycles for things handled in TCP/IP/IPX/etc protocals is minimal if that, plus the dedicated workstation GPUs are far more powerful than CPUs and GPUs on our side.
Though they run really oddly...because they rarely, if ever, do any rendering themselves.....

LiL T
30-09-04, 18:46
actually i think i'll write a letter of complaint to Epic / atari as evidently their game engine has been lying to me about the FPS and ping statistics all these years. i'll be sure to quote all your compelling arguments in my letter.

incidently who was blaming KK's servers? packet loss can be caused by any of the hops between you and a server :confused:

Well if thats happens right your connection sucks its not there fault play quake 1 on a 56k its like a slide show with packets being lost error correction added into games will cause this

whifix
30-09-04, 18:57
Jumping back to QD's topic... The game is much more stable for me as well. Although I did run into the following problems;
1) FRE'ed once
2) Weird no response issues where all of a sudden you can't switch items, right clicking on items results in nothing happening and zoning leads to eternal sync. Relogging fixes but this happens more times then is desired.
3) Memory leaks aren't as bad as they used to be. I play in windowed mode and usually memory usage stays around 360MB of RAM and 360MB of VMem.
4) People who exit lifts and move slightly away from the lift still appear as if they are in the lifts
5) Having vegetation on in a highly vegetated zone with fog off results in a serious lagdown. Not sure if this is so much a problem as it is a feature though.

//edit//
If you guys want to test this FPS loss due to network connection issue it's simple. Play the game and watch the FPS. Yank your ethernet cable out or your phone like cable out of your modem and watch the FPS. Do they go up or down?

Spermy
30-09-04, 22:16
cover much online gaming in your degree did they? :rolleyes:

I'm getting just a little pissed off with people being smart, as a matter of fact - yes seeing as my course is based around online mechanics and programming, but then why should I have to explain myself? If you happen to disagree - you could at least make a point instead of winding me the fuck up.

LiL T
30-09-04, 22:22
Jumping back to QD's topic... The game is much more stable for me as well. Although I did run into the following problems;
1) FRE'ed once
2) Weird no response issues where all of a sudden you can't switch items, right clicking on items results in nothing happening and zoning leads to eternal sync. Relogging fixes but this happens more times then is desired.
3) Memory leaks aren't as bad as they used to be. I play in windowed mode and usually memory usage stays around 360MB of RAM and 360MB of VMem.
4) People who exit lifts and move slightly away from the lift still appear as if they are in the lifts
5) Having vegetation on in a highly vegetated zone with fog off results in a serious lagdown. Not sure if this is so much a problem as it is a feature though.

//edit//
If you guys want to test this FPS loss due to network connection issue it's simple. Play the game and watch the FPS. Yank your ethernet cable out or your phone like cable out of your modem and watch the FPS. Do they go up or down?

they would stay constant but game would crash of just lock video has fuck all to with connection are we clear ? :wtf:

omg must get 5 MB connection for the latest games to rum multiplayer

whifix
30-09-04, 22:26
they would stay constant but game would crash of just lock video has fuck all to with connection are we clear ? :wtf:

omg must get 5 MB connection for the latest games to rum multiplayer

I'm proposing a test for those who are debating it, not an argument. Stating what you think would happen doesn't prove or disprove anything.

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 22:34
Whifix, unfortunately it's not a debate at all... 90% of the responses to my statement could be summed up with "STFU NEWBIE IM RIGHT". What’s the point arguing something on these forums when no one will support their opinion, rather just scream and yell like some fucking child?

Spermy
30-09-04, 22:41
I'm not entirely sure where your going with the yankage of the cable - but the fps remains constants - it drops to zero due a freeze up, when the client looks for packets it can't find - it stops running, registering the connection error.

You don't even have to test it to know that one.

Now a connection issue can affect performance in terms of more lag, more disconnects etc.

But FPS is independant of connection speed - FPS is all about graphics processing - and since

A) The Video controller - be it a card or a chip doesn't really interact with the ethernet port/ usb port/ modem - or whatever you use to connect to the internet with.

B) I have never seen a modem with a Graphics processor in my life. Cos that would just be pointless . O_o

There - FPS is independant of connection, but when the connection is lost and the game freezes - frame rate will drop to zero - but the client is responsible for that - not the modem. Unless you decide you want to be an ass and rip the ethernet cable out! :lol:

Does that look like screaming and yelling to you?

Bottom line graphics processes are independant of modem usage processes. Any book will tell you that - hell even common sense will.

NS_CHROME54
30-09-04, 22:45
http://www.knowreasonrock.com/pics/packet.jpg

meh, just felt like makin that.

LiL T
30-09-04, 22:47
I'm proposing a test for those who are debating it, not an argument. Stating what you think would happen doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Yes and I just stated what would happen

@god

you might think that but infact is quite true what they said

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 22:49
Well, more people on today, haven't noticed any fps drops.

Still waiting :p

--
He's right, it drops a little bit, but, erm, CPU Cycles for things handled in TCP/IP/IPX/etc protocals is minimal if that, plus the dedicated workstation GPUs are far more powerful than CPUs and GPUs on our side.
Though they run really oddly...because they rarely, if ever, do any rendering themselves.....

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=114357

:p

GIJ0e
30-09-04, 22:52
I'm getting just a little pissed off with people being smart, as a matter of fact - yes seeing as my course is based around online mechanics and programming, but then why should I have to explain myself? If you happen to disagree - you could at least make a point instead of winding me the fuck up.

the point WAS to wind you up
:p

i cant help being smart :(

am on an upswing have managed to log into nc2 :lol:

G.0.D.
30-09-04, 22:52
Thank you spermy, for forming a rational argument. <3

You seem to think the GPU handles everything in a 3d game, this statment is untrue. Though the GPU has an increased role in todays games, handling everything from shaders to rendering. There is still core game logic, that is handled by the CPU. Things like physics, AI, networking, animations etc. These simply need to be done with the larger command set of a powerfull modern day CPU. Now if the CPU is logged down doing things, it has to query commands from the game thus slowing down the whole game logic loop.

I will let you get the last word on on this debate, then lets stop it so this thread *maybe* can get back on topic. :lol:

Endar
30-09-04, 22:53
Hmm.. This sounds great. In beta I had 50+ FPS all the time even in plaza 1 with like 50 people on the screen. No FREs or synchs. I think the retail will be awesome on my computer.

whifix
30-09-04, 22:57
Yanking the cable would be an extreame example of packet loss. If packet loss effected FPS it would be seen there I would assume thus ending the debate. Even though a discounnect would be enebitable there would still be the small period of waiting for the server that would take place before it did. I do not know the coding of NC how they programed or misprogramed the network module but to be honest I do not care either. I just want to stop this stupid chatter :)

Spermy
30-09-04, 22:58
Thank you spermy, for forming a rational argument. <3

You seem to think the GPU handles everything in a 3d game, this statment is untrue. Though the GPU has an increased role in todays games, handling everything from shaders to rendering. There is still core game logic, that is handled by the CPU. Things like physics, AI, networking, animations etc. These simply need to be done with the larger command set of a powerfull modern day CPU. Now if the CPU is logged down doing things, it has to query commands from the game thus slowing down the whole game logic loop.

I will let you get the last word on on this debate, then lets stop it so this thread *maybe* can get back on topic. :lol:

Lol , nah - last words suck. I know where your coming from dude - but I was purely outlining the essential fact the graphics aren't connected to the modem or any other form of internet data transmission. - I think I may have failed my application to uni if I didn't know how processors work! :)

More of a last sentence But I agree with your flip floppiness of reasoning dude.

QuantumDelta
01-10-04, 00:09
FYI...most modern games don't crash your PC if you lock up.

NC doesn't.
UT doesn't.
FS doesn't.
CS doesn't.
etc, etc, etc.

NC's frame rate remains the same when you pull the plug.

Sigh.