View Full Version : Need Help With My Mentor Router....anyone With A Mentor Please Look

nobby
29-09-04, 23:35
looking in the manual...i dont understand this!

"Login to the Internet Broadband Router"

Before you configure this device, note that when the broadband router is configured through an Ethernet connection, make sure the Host PC must be set on the ip subnetwork that can be accessed by the xDSL/Cable modem. For example, when the default network address of the xDSL/Cable modem Ethernet interface is 192.168.1.x, then the host PC should be set at 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is a number between 2 and 254), and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

1. Open internet explorer 4.0 or above Internet Browser.
2. Enter IP address http://192.168.1.1 (the factory-default IP address setting) to the URL web address location.

ive connected my RJ45 cable from my xbox to my router and a RJ45 cable from the WAN port on the router, to my PC, ive tried entering that IP in internet explorer.....but it doesnt work, could someone please help !

GIJ0e
29-09-04, 23:41
as with any router it acts as a local dhcp server. unplug your xbox to start with, ensure your network connection on the pc is set to obtain an ip automatically. turn off any software firewalls you have. reboot your pc, it should now pick up an ip assigned to it by the router and enable you to connect to the admin page (dont forget to swicth off any firewalls that start up again after reboot) in fact uninstall any software firewalls you have. the router should act as a good firewall itself. also when you get into its settings, turn off remote admin and uPnP support.

incidently htf you accessing this site if your router isnt working? =P

GIJ0e
29-09-04, 23:42
whoa back up i just re read that

its a cable router? your cable connection goes in the wan, your pc / xbox goes in the lan, which would also explain why you cant webadmin it :)

hmm it also looks like its a shiddy router and doesnt autoassign ip's. personally i'd go out and get a decent router like netgear or lynksys

edit: incidently if you dont know much about networking / routers its easier to get a decent one they tend to set themselves up and autodetect a lot.

go to control panel, netowkr connections, right click on your lan connection (making sure your pc is connected to lan port not wan port) click properties, then in window that pops up highlight tcp/ip and click properties, you can set ip and subnet in there. if you are on XP you may want also untick the QoS packet scheduling service, it can fuck up your pings to game servers

Nidhogg
29-09-04, 23:53
Thread moved.

N

nobby
30-09-04, 08:12
sorry, i didnt find the QoS packets you were on about, could u tell me where i find them.

nobby
30-09-04, 08:26
dont give me crap again please, that bloody thing took away my net connection.

Lexxuk
30-09-04, 13:45
Ok, I'll assume your using Windows XP, if your not, go out and buy it coz I'm lazy.

Open a command promt, through Start/Run/cmd

Type in ipconfig

It should bring up some text..

C:\Documents and Settings\David>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ramphome.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

IP Address = My PC's IP Address
Default Gateway = The IP Address of the "system" connected to the world wide web, which in this case is my Router.

So, type in that ipconfig and tell us what comes up

nobby
30-09-04, 21:19
my bloody router never came with a disc...no drivers....had a lookie on the net....nothing!

anyway...here is a pic of the whole smd screen. (script kiddies leave me alone!)

+ ive got no cash........lexxuk...hope u can help!

see the ip's, router one not even there :(

GIJ0e
01-10-04, 14:29
dont give me crap again please, that bloody thing took away my net connection.

then if you arent competent enough to be using a router. go out and buy a usb modem. and dont expect my help in future :wtf:

Lexxuk
01-10-04, 17:22
then if you arent competent enough to be using a router. go out and buy a usb modem. and dont expect my help in future :wtf:

Thats not exactly helping to be honest.

Ok nobby, I can see your using XP, which is helpful. But you seem to have a fair few PPP adapters using WAN (wide area network), but I'm going to assume that the Globespan is your router, because its the only thing which is network set and has ADSL stuck onto it.

Firstly, looking at that one, it seems that your IP address is the one Windows gives you when it cant get an IP address off the network via DCHP. So we'll try to get your Computer onto the right network address, then it should be able to talk to your router properly.

Click Start/Settings/Network Connections, it will open a new window and you should have in there a connection called Local Area Connection 2.

Right click on it and choose Properties, you will see the following:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

What we need is the Internet Protocol, click that, then click Properties.

Now hit "Use the following IP address"

Type in these details:

IP address : 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mark : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

Use the following DNS server will then turn on, so in "Preferred" type:

Click "yeah baby yeah" and in theory you will join the 192.168.1.* network, which is the same one as your router.

Now you should right click on the Local Area Connection 2 again, properties, then tick "show icon in task bar when connected", tick that, click Yeah Man, and the network icon will show in the task bar, double click it, click "Support" then check that IP Address is 192.168.1.10 and Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1, if it is, open up your browser and type:

http://192.168.1.1

You should then be able to log into your router to configure it.

nobby
01-10-04, 17:42
local area connection 2 appears to be my AOL broadband connection... and i'm sorry lexxuk, didnt work 8|
hmm...i did a add hardware thingy and there was a question mark with router on it....but looking on a review on the net they said "no drivers...no technical support and no apparant website..."

this is a bit poo...
lexxuk thanks for your help! :p

Lexxuk
01-10-04, 17:50
Hmm, try going to www.privacy.net, on the first page it will say

Hello! Your IP address is *.*.*.*

Which is nice of it, now type in http://ip.address.from.privacy so if your IP address on that is 123.123.123.123 type in http://123.123.123.123. Now if your connected to the Internet via your router, it should ask you to log on to your router (in theory at least)

nobby
01-10-04, 17:55
ah lexxuk, lookie what appeared....the web address still dont work.....

Lexxuk
01-10-04, 20:44
you have a heck of a lot of stuff there dude O_o you sure your usin the right cable btw, coz when I stuck my router in, I was using a CAT5 crossover, when I needed to use a straight thru connection, if there was a LAN connection between your computer and modem it would show up in that folder.

Xeno LARD
01-10-04, 20:54
Annoying because if it was here (as in if i could see it) then I bet I could sort it in a few minutes.

That going via the external IP wont help as AOL send all the traffic through a proxy, so that's the address you'd get.

nobby
01-10-04, 20:58
...im using rj45 cables...not crossovers.....and this thing...bah i dunno!
bin it

Xeno LARD
01-10-04, 20:59
No, send it to me. I need a router!

nobby
01-10-04, 22:09
using all the info, tell me how to get it to work and tell me the password to your ventrilo server and make me laard once again :p

Xeno LARD
03-10-04, 02:01
using all the info, tell me how to get it to work and tell me the password to your ventrilo server and make me laard once again :p

How about we tell you to fuck off. Change vent server and piss on your sister instead?

It does it for me.

Xeno LARD
03-10-04, 02:07
...im using rj45 cables...not crossovers.....and this thing...bah i dunno!
bin it

And RJ45 _are_ cross over, or patch depending on whether the send/recv wires are reversed or not.

Xeno LARD
04-10-04, 10:39
//koth

nobby we moved vent to get away from you ... we're really giving you the info O_o

nobby
06-10-04, 13:53
triple post i see....

Xeno LARD
06-10-04, 16:24
triple post i see....

We share the same account. I was insulting you on one. Answering your question in the other, and Koth posted the other.

nobby
07-10-04, 13:59
ok ok right...so who is this koth...

Xeno LARD
07-10-04, 14:27
ok ok right...so who is this koth...

Someone else who owns you.

On another note, how's the router doing?

nobby
07-10-04, 17:28
not working...

nobby
18-10-04, 23:41
bump....

ok well i sirted it, i had a bugged network card or something so i nicked my dad's one.
well erm...the thing is, when trying to connect to xbox live, it says "ip settings configurated" so thats one step dont, then i nearly get to the last step which says "DNS not resolved" :(

any help maties?

command prompt doesnt come up with any dns server ip's anymore, so i cant enter that into my xbox, so im stuck really....any help now?