PDA

View Full Version : New Layout

Odin
29-09-04, 04:16
Alright this is the new layout so far. Critique away and I'll look at making some more minor changes later on this week and tweaking things out. Should be a little more streamlined. If anyone has suggestions for other forum types feel free to speak up.

Edit: If there is some must have thread from the now missing forums that you need PM Nidhogg. The missing stuff is only archived right now. Will work on a new skin sometime after the next website release whenever Dafire can breathe :p

Glok
29-09-04, 04:20
I saw Test in the forum new thread things but you have changed it to New Layout. Damn you! :eek: :angel:

edit: I like it btw. My NC1 acc runs out on Oct 3, lets hope I can get NC2 retail before then. :)

garyu69
29-09-04, 04:20
New runners corner.
Much better than newbie :D

Sorin
29-09-04, 04:24
Off Topic section, nice.

edit: I also like the much less cluttered lower section. It's all very streamlined now. But can we have a section where we never have to hear "keep it in-game"?

Lachlan
29-09-04, 04:36
I like the layout, but is there anyway to get a "tree" view of the forums? I don't like clicking down to the lower levels to see if there's new posts in the forums I'm interested in..

BaDDaSS
29-09-04, 04:55
I'm loving the way each Community CityCom has their own server forums at the top. Great :)

And the way the Bug tracker doesnt take up the main forum index is good too.

Only change i would make is to move Professions to Player 2 Player Guides & Help what do you think? :)

Nice one Odin.

Sorin
29-09-04, 06:14
About the professions section, I think there should be sections for each class. i.e. Spy, PE, Monk, Tank. I think those would be much more relevant and more used than the current setup. The current professions only influence what your new character spawns with. They are useless after that except for RP.

Brammers
29-09-04, 08:30
Hmm I'm not sure about the Off Topic section being seperate.

Also, where is the old RP section? There was some great stories in there, one of them was incomplete (From Jest).

Morpheous
29-09-04, 09:34
Not bad, needs some refinement but... nice :D

Apart from that, for the skin how 'bout a choice- one with black and blue, one black and red, one with black and green, one with black and orange.

Not hard if you do it with layers in Photoshop :p

It's just because it's so refreshing I think. This, more than anything, is the "slap me in the face" part of the move :p the actual release is the slow part, but forum changes are abrupt and... wow :D

Edit: Any word on the modifications forum?

Kuya
29-09-04, 09:35
good job odin

tiikeri
29-09-04, 09:37
Yeah.. i like the new layout.

BTW: typing error at professions / Street Samarai

athon
29-09-04, 10:30
Nice.

I would add descriptions of each profession to the Professions forums tho. IMO it's confusing the way it currently is - everyone will have to keep loading the create new character screen to find out which forum to post in.

Athon Solo

Nidhogg
29-09-04, 10:42
I've had so many PMs from people who objected to having their threads moved to "Newbie Talk" because they didn't want to be called a "newbie" that I figured it had to be changed. My original choice was "Entry Level" but Odin changed it again while I was asleep. ;)

We can't make the forum structure look like a treeview I'm afraid, as we're limited by what VBulletin provides. We purposely tried to keep the structure as flat as possible though to reduce click-through to a minimum.

Professions should mean more than just a way to kick off characters in NC2 but that's linked into the changes to the FC system which will be announced soon.

Typo in "Samurai" fixed.

N

hinch
29-09-04, 10:57
how about lets see..

a gallery (photopost)
perhaps an arcade (vb3 arcade)
welcome/userinfo segment (see signature forum)

a few otehr usefull hacks out there too for vbb that make it so much nicer for its users also some handy admin hacks out too and some db optimisation for high load sites :)

Nidhogg
29-09-04, 11:02
Yeah, we've added (and removed) a few hacks over the last couple of years but we always come back to the principal that we want everyone to be familiar with it the second that they log in. The more stuff you add to it the more unwieldy it gets and the more confusing for our customers.

N

hinch
29-09-04, 11:04
the welcome bar/stats thing at the top of page one is more use than anything ever :) i know you've seen what i mean

sanityislost
29-09-04, 11:27
Looks great so far, the Professions pages are something we have been needing for awhile now....aka nice one :D

SiL ..:..

J. Folsom
29-09-04, 11:34
I just a PM to Nidhogg requesting the following stories to be recovered from the archives:

One Man's Tale (Jest)
The Fall of the Fallen (Jest)
Opened Eyes: Part One (MrBane)
Opened Eyes: Part Two (Delmann)
Bio of Katherine Mayer, Complete! (Siygess)
The Cult and the Dragon (Siygess)
"Another Chance at a Past Life" (Heavyporker)
The Ancient Relic of Battle (Heavyporker)
NExT's Greatest Fear (Heavyporker)
The Odd Hunt (Heavyporker)
A Battle in the Service of My Clan (Heavyporker)
NERD 1 - The Archive (NERD Editor)
NERD: Saga 2 (NERD Editor)
NERD: Historical Chronicles (NERD Editor)

Just so people know, and he doesn't get spammed to death with the same requests.

SilentEye
29-09-04, 11:43
I am still seeing the layout as it was yesterday.... Nothing is different?

Am I doing something wrong?

sanityislost
29-09-04, 11:45
Oh shit yea J.F thanx for reminding me
need copies of the cult rp thingers

SiL ..:..

Clownst0pper
29-09-04, 12:39
see i said class forums would rock :D

Selendor
29-09-04, 14:39
I know it won't happen, cause it gets personal, and its a load of work for the forum mods, but a lot of players like to read about in game things (events, politics, flames, alliances) where people and clans are actually mentioned. I always found that threads like that got people playing more often. I can see why they are always closed, but that doesn't stop them being the most fun to read - I think it mirrors the atmosphere of the game so why not?

Will it be possible to post about things like clan politics, server specific issues, wars, or will we have to use the (still) poor in-game boards?

J. Folsom
29-09-04, 14:42
I know it won't happen, cause it gets personal, and its a load of work for the forum mods, but a lot of players like to read about in game things (events, politics, flames, alliances) where people and clans are actually mentioned. I always found that threads like that got people playing more often. I can see why they are always closed, but that doesn't stop them being the most fun to read - I think it mirrors the atmosphere of the game so why not?

Will it be possible to post about things like clan politics, server specific issues, wars, or will we have to use the (still) poor in-game boards?
As far as I know, that kind of stuff is allowed on the RP forums, as long as it stays in-character. This was already the case with the old forum setup, so I don't see why it wouldn't be now.

Selendor
29-09-04, 14:54
Oh right, I thought they tightened it up though, I guess we'll see how it pans out in the coming months/flames ;)

Nidhogg
29-09-04, 16:55
It's actually been possible to discuss any kind of in-game matters for a few months now, so long as it doesn't break the forum rules (e.g. flaming) - "keep it in-game" hasn't been seen for ages. ;)

Please use the RP forums for such discussion.

N

Brammers
30-09-04, 00:21
Hmm, now that I've had a look around, it's looking pretty good! :)

And I do like the RP forum right at the top of the page, so hopefully we will get a lot more roleplaying on the forums and in game.

NS_CHROME54
30-09-04, 00:30
well i was hoping to see a brand new skin featuring lexxuk's teets, nipples, body piercings, and... ah well, structure change works ok :)

QuantumDelta
30-09-04, 00:47
Alright this is the new layout so far. Critique away and I'll look at making some more minor changes later on this week and tweaking things out. Should be a little more streamlined. If anyone has suggestions for other forum types feel free to speak up.

Edit: If there is some must have thread from the now missing forums that you need PM Nidhogg. The missing stuff is only archived right now. Will work on a new skin sometime after the next website release whenever Dafire can breathe :p
My like, no bad comments here.

Just wondering about the whole brainport thing, or is this forum going to be used as it?

FYI - Offtopic may become slightly useless, because most people wont get used to splitting OnT and OffT after 2 years of it being in the same forum :p

Nidhogg
30-09-04, 00:56
FYI - Offtopic may become slightly useless, because most people wont get used to splitting OnT and OffT after 2 years of it being in the same forum :p
We'll move the threads made in the wrong forum by mistake and whupp the people who do it on purpose. ;)

N

QuantumDelta
30-09-04, 01:34
...............You.......
......blast you :p
Now I actually have to put effort into my OT Postaging o_O

BlackDove
30-09-04, 16:13
Technically, this will render off topic posts useless (thank god, I don't think I could stand one more of QD's huge stupid threads :p) because most people don't have the time to check two forums or simply don't care.

Good deal, no more sensless crap.

J. Folsom
01-10-04, 23:02
Just an update, and with thanks to Nidhogg. The 14 topics I requested to be restored have all been moved to the Terra RP forums. Thus people can continue their writing, or reading, on these stories.