PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] That's it?!?

MasterBee
28-09-04, 14:49
What the hell are you doing KK??
"The majority have spoken and chose using 5th september backup, we appologize for inconvenience (inconvenience = losing two high level chars with equipment), STFU and go play"
That's in short KK's message to about 300 players who voted for using 20th september snapshot.

KK, I have a suggestion. Take a good look at snapshot of my account from 20th. See that high level tank? Good. Now take a look at 5th september backup. DO YOU SEE A TANK AT ALL???
Now, would it be SO HARD to spawn me a tank of the same level in one of the free slots on my account? No, it is not. I'm not even asking for items. It's probably 2 minutes work for you. For me it's 2 weeks of work. The main difference is that *I* pay, and *you* get paid!

*pants*

Ok, I'm calm now. KK, I now beg you, don't leave it just like that. It's wrong on so many levels, that I don't even know where to begin.
What pisses me off, is your unwillingness to help the individuals.
Helping *individual* people who were hit most by this unfortunate event would probably take a couple of days from your busy schedule, but would also gain you many loyal and happy customers.
Not helping them, will make many of them leave.
You should know the rule - good word of mouth will give you 2 additional customers, bad word of mouth will scare away 10 potential customers.

It's up to you, but I suggest that you review your priorities.

DigestiveBiscui
28-09-04, 14:52
yea but the 5th of sept beat u down so ner

i lost a whole account full of chars - but i voted for the 5th

athon
28-09-04, 15:03
Some people should really read the agreements so that they know exactly what they're signing up to.

*bets there's nothing in the EULA about KK agreeing to reinstate lost characters, giving compensation, etc.

Actually...
*bets there's clauses in the EULA specifcally about KK NOT agreeing to reinstate lost characters, skills, items etc or giving compensation, etc

Athon Solo

MasterBee
28-09-04, 15:05
Ok, I wasn't clear enough. All I have left of ALL my characters now is just a rank 20 spy with no equipment worth mentioning. So, it would be fair to say that I lost it all.

@athon
Yeah, I would still like to hear from KK on that matter. "No, you will not get any kind of support from us" will suffice.

athon
28-09-04, 15:17
They've restore the last working backup and extended the amount of time you have to sort out your chars. What more do you want? There's only so much they can viably do while still working hard to get NC2 out on schedule with as many bugs fixed as humanly possible.

KK's policy to date has always been that of basically no compensation since they haven't had the logging systems to provide the information they'd need to prove what you did and didn't have. They have said that this is gonig ot be something that will be fixed with the new servers in NC2.

They could've not bothered restoring the backup, not bothered keeping the servers up longer (which in turn puts morep reassure on them as they have less time to get the old servers down, reformat them, etc and set up the new servers) to allow people to sort their chars out and just used the last working backup for a snapshot.

I'd say take what you've been given and be happy. At the end of the day it's only a game and for all we know it could shut down tomorrow - sorry no NC2, no nothing, KK are gone.

If you don't like what you're getting for your money, then stop paying. All the details were laid out to you in the EULA and support areas on the website when you signed up - if you didn't bother to read it you only have yourself to blame.

Athon Solo

Sakletare
28-09-04, 15:22
The EULA is there so that people can't sue Reakktor for what happens with the game, but there's nothing in the EULA that forces the customers to stay a customer and keep paying Reakktor money if Reakktor fucks up.

This is not about what the EULA forces Reakktor to do (ie nothing), it's all about what Reakktor does to keep their customers happy to continue getting their money.

MasterBee
28-09-04, 15:29
They've restore the last working backup and extended the amount of time you have to sort out your chars. What more do you want? There's only so much they can viably do while still working hard to get NC2 out on schedule with as many bugs fixed as humanly possible.

KK's policy to date has always been that of basically no compensation since they haven't had the logging systems to provide the information they'd need to prove what you did and didn't have. They have said that this is gonig ot be something that will be fixed with the new servers in NC2.

They could've not bothered restoring the backup, not bothered keeping the servers up longer (which in turn puts morep reassure on them as they have less time to get the old servers down, reformat them, etc and set up the new servers) to allow people to sort their chars out and just used the last working backup for a snapshot.

I'd say take what you've been given and be happy. At the end of the day it's only a game and for all we know it could shut down tomorrow - sorry no NC2, no nothing, KK are gone.

If you don't like what you're getting for your money, then stop paying. All the details were laid out to you in the EULA and support areas on the website when you signed up - if you didn't bother to read it you only have yourself to blame.

Athon Solo

Sigh... Problem is that I have no chars left to sort out. Kinda lost em all. I realize that they had no tracking system, so couldn't offer such compensation before. But now, they have the snapshot. In this snapshot I have a char I want to take.
All there is to it. No need to prove anything, they have the proof on their own server.

It's easy for you to say, you haven't lost anything... Or maybe it's good, because you are impartial.

Anyway, I appologize for harsh tone of my first post. Probably no point in getting aggravated here on the forums, since it's only fellow runners who read that :rolleyes:

Darak
28-09-04, 15:34
Ok so with the 5th of september roll back...

The question is now how the hell does everyone get over the trauma of having leveled your live away for 2 weeks only to find it has all been lost ?

I mean there are at least 5 ppl in our tiny clan pluto that have lost everything on saturn and now they have no inclination to play NC2 on the 4 slot international. What the hell do we do about that ?

It was bad enough having no one slot international server but now we have been completely stuffed... left in limbo just waiting for the one slot (cos all our saturn characters are lost). But i do wonder how many other ppl are in a similar situation - loving nc but just not able to actually play it. Torn between leaving your main for the kind of server you like and having no chars to transfer to the 4 slot.....

Its a mess, and all i see are lots of upset clan mates :( Can we not just pay to get some proper support and get the 20th chars poped in where its important.

___T-X____
28-09-04, 15:42
Its is easy for Athon to say he's lost nothing - he's a uranus player. :rolleyes:

athon
28-09-04, 15:49
Sigh... Problem is that I have no chars left to sort out. Kinda lost em all. I realize that they had no tracking system, so couldn't offer such compensation before. But now, they have the snapshot. In this snapshot I have a char I want to take.
All there is to it. No need to prove anything, they have the proof on their own server.

It's easy for you to say, you haven't lost anything... Or maybe it's good, because you are impartial.

Anyway, I appologize for harsh tone of my first post. Probably no point in getting aggravated here on the forums, since it's only fellow runners who read that :rolleyes:
They already said that the snapshot isn't compatible with the backup system - ie. they can't put the snapshot data back into Neocron 1. For all we know, they might have already wiped the last public snapshot data anyway to prepare for the final one or perhaps to do some more internal testing.

And even if I had lost all my characters on Uranus, I certainly wouldn't be demanding things from KK. At the end of the day this is just a game and it wouldn't take me that long to level my characters back up (especially now there's more higher level levelling areas such as the warbot factory at I09)

The main reason I still play Neocron is for the op wars. No other game, especially MMORPGs - which have a bad tendency to use the classic turn-based click-and-snore style - that I've played to date offers the same type of combat. The nearest I've come so far is UT2004's Onslaught gametype, but the maps tend to be small and it degrades into a vehicle camp-fest. Perhaps Quake 3 Team Arena's Overlord mode would come close with large maps too, but that engine is old and had too many hard coded limits placed on it.

Athon Solo

Sakletare
28-09-04, 15:54
They already said that the snapshot isn't compatible with the backup system - ie. they can't put the snapshot data back into Neocron 1.
Of course it is, you can do whatever you want with database data, it's just a question of time and money.

Nidhogg
28-09-04, 16:11
Of course it is, you can do whatever you want with database data, it's just a question of time and money.
Actually that's not correct. Take the example of an item you recently bought that's in your QB on the 20th. In the full backup that item might still be in the inventory of the person you bought it from so if you merge the two you duplicate the item. There is no way to avoid this as there is no item tracking in NC1. Technically you can merge data from two databases but that does not mean that the results will be semantically meaningful.

N

Sakletare
28-09-04, 16:19
Actually that's not correct. Take the example of an item you recently bought that's in your QB on the 20th. In the full backup that item might still be in the inventory of the person you bought it from so if you merge the two you duplicate the item. There is no way to avoid this as there is no item tracking in NC1.

N
Yes, you might get duplicated items. I'm not worried about that, and neither should Reakktor be, since it's much better to get duplicates that makes people happy than making people loose their items.
Some duplicated items is the least of Reakktors worries if the alternative is loosing lots of customers.

Nidhogg
28-09-04, 16:27
That's just one simple example that I can think of without any knowledge of the specifics. I can only imagine what the real deal might be. One thing I am sure about is that KK would not risk this kind of problem simply to avoid a little bit of duping. ;)

N

naimex
28-09-04, 16:30
I have to agree there Nid... if you can use both then you should atleast have a poll about it, just for like 24 hours.. it should go really fast from mouth to ear if they have a chance to get back 90 % of all that was lost (of items anyways).

duplicate items is a risc.. yes.. but they cant take that much with them anyways, because of the 10 items max.. so its gonna be limited duped items they will get over.. and I canīt see how that can help them much..

EDIT :

That's just one simple example that I can think of without any knowledge of the specifics. I can only imagine what the real deal might be. One thing I am sure about is that KK would not risk this kind of problem simply to avoid a little bit of duping. ;)

N

Exactly

MasterBee
28-09-04, 16:37
If item duping is the problem, I am asking only for my char, without any items. Surely, that wouldnt be a problem?

P.S
You're right Nidhogg, this name looks better ;)

Nidhogg
28-09-04, 16:43
Thread merged. No it's not about duping. Yes it does.

:)

N

Sakletare
28-09-04, 16:44

N
Sadly i suspect that the reason why Reakktor choose to use one of the backups (which the players had to choose between) is that's it's simply the easy way out, it's fast and doesn't cost anything.

I am also very disapointed that Reakktor haven't offered anything as a compensation except from an auotpoker and faction changer.
At the very least they should give the affected customers one free month as they lost almost a month of work, at the very least. The only reason why Reakktor won't do this would be that they can't afford it, but if that's the case they should at least be honest enough to say just that.