PDA

View Full Version : Making more backups.

SilentEye
28-09-04, 12:12
Hey,

As it is right now, I believe KK makes backups every two weeks, correct?
Vote above what you prefer instead, to safe a shit load of trouble ;)

Maybe KK can, do this.

Silent

Funny how I think of other options after I can't edit the poll anymore.

Another option: Every 1 hour, everything from a character should be saved to a backup server.

@MOD: Maybe you can change the "Every 12 hours" into the option stated above, thanks!

Celt
28-09-04, 12:20
It's elementary, it should be every day at the least!.

Crest
28-09-04, 12:21
Why do backuos,
Backups lead to an unfortunate run of events, which lead to complete wipes for which you would have to take responsiblity buit some how not the blame a it is only your fault if you were responsable for the back ups in the first place ....

Backups mean you expect something bad to happen, instead if you are an optimist, then nothing bad will happen, making backups null and void

SilentEye
28-09-04, 12:23
Why do backuos,
Backups lead to an unfortunate run of events, which lead to complete wipes for which you would have to take responsiblity buit some how not the blame a it is only your fault if you were responsable for the back ups in the first place ....

Backups mean you expect something bad to happen, instead if you are an optimist, then nothing bad will happen, making backups null and void
So you are also saying that the army shoudn't have medics?
Casualties will happen, also with databases and servers.
You need to be prepaired for that, of course backups are a requirement!

Dude, that's bull, I mean optimists suck, their wrong.

darkservent
28-09-04, 12:34
Its not abt how many backups they do, cause even if they did backup like a million times in the month, the fact is all the backups broke over the period of the recent events. The solution to this is make double backups - so make a backup and make a backup of that backup on a secured location where MJS has authorisation to.. Sure may be more of a hassle but that way it lessens the likely of all backups borkin up.

SilentEye
28-09-04, 12:36
Its not abt how many backups they do, cause even if they did backup like a million times in the month, the fact is all the backups broke over the period of the recent events. The solution to this is make double backups - so make a backup and make a backup of that backup on a secured location where MJS has authorisation to.. Sure may be more of a hassle but that way it lessens the likely of all backups borkin up.
Surely that means if you only backup once in 2 weeks and something DOES go wrong, you had to go back 2 weeks.

Woudn't you prefer a backup every day so that when something does screw over you have a backup from yesterday?

winnoc
28-09-04, 12:49
Standard rules for backups is:

Backup up every day.
Backup up + system state every week
Complete backup of everything every month.

If you have two servers, you can backup parts of the other server on that backup too, and vice versa for even more secureness.

Backup media is NOT kept in the same room as the servers.
It's stored in a secure place.

Crest
28-09-04, 12:52
So you are also saying that the army shoudn't have medics?
Casualties will happen, also with databases and servers.
You need to be prepaired for that, of course backups are a requirement!

Dude, that's bull, I mean optimists suck, their wrong.

None the less, where gaming and entertainment is your life, and your business is based on it. Then to be caught with your pants down like this, after prcolaiming to do backups ...

I tell you a secret ... My comments reek with sarcasicm

Dribble Joy
28-09-04, 12:56
Remember that KK lost thier newer backups too, it's not like they only made two in the whole of september, it's just that they could only salvage two after the failure.

Spermy
28-09-04, 13:01
To back up a persistent world type servery thingy - you need to bring it offline - You won't be able to backup neocron if people are still using it - they'll be changing parts of the data and stuff. Y'know - they gain a level - thier info changes to reflect the level gain etc. Everyone would have to be offline.

so it would need to be done when as few people as possible are using it -

A lot of stuff happens in a week. SHEDLOADS can happen in two weeks in NC!

I'm thinking if possible, every 2 or 3 days? And perform maintenance at the same time? :angel:

ROZZER187
28-09-04, 13:04
To back up a persistent world type servery thingy - you need to bring it offline - You won't be able to backup neocron if people are still using it - they'll be changing parts of the data and stuff. Y'know - they gain a level - thier info changes to reflect the level gain etc. Everyone would have to be offline.

so it would need to be done when as few people as possible are using it -

A lot of stuff happens in a week. SHEDLOADS can happen in two weeks in NC!

I'm thinking if possible, every 2 or 3 days? And perform maintenance at the same time? :angel:

^^

i think every week would be better, instead of every 2 weeks, alot can happen in 2 weeks, as some of you already know :(

MaGn0lia
28-09-04, 13:06
Should you backup the whole center where the servers are, in case of -> http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/ :p scroll down please.

Spermy
28-09-04, 13:09
^^

i think every week would be better, instead of every 2 weeks, alot can happen in 2 weeks, as some of you already know :(

Aye - I spose a week is more viable than every few days anyway - I know EVE Does it every day at 11 AM for an hour - on a weekday - when most people (cept me! Students rule! ^^) are at work, then it should disrupt people too much.

Darak
28-09-04, 13:12
To back up a persistent world type servery thingy - you need to bring it offline

Most other games have 1 hr down time per day..... i can not really see this as a problem for nc. I mean UO backed up dynamically while you were online and then reset the server to the backup to shorten the down time. So you could lose up to 1hr of play if you happened to be online at 6 am, when the server reset to your backup position.

This is not a new problem, ppl are never upset for long when they get what they expect. Its the unexpected they hate. So an hour or 2 down time per day is not something that you could claim is really bad for the game.

Spermy
28-09-04, 13:28
Didn't say it was - I was just saying it's a bit squifffy to back up while people are altering/using data, and it was easier to do it when the server wasn't running an instance of the game. :)

Nidhogg
28-09-04, 13:54
It wasn't a problem with the number of backups, or with the backup/restore procedure. It was a problem with the backups being silently corrupted due to faulty hardware. You all know very well from past experiences of rollbacks that backups are taken frequently. Please keep further discussion of the Saturn situation on the sticky.

N