View Full Version : KK Read: How to use 2 snapshots

JustIn_Case
28-09-04, 08:52
KK already got a snapshot from the 20:th.
They can/will make an new snapshot the 29:th that is based on the rollback from the 5:th.

In the transfer character window within the launcher, add an dropdown (or whatever)
where you can choose wich snapshot to use.
Once you have transfered one character the dropdown will be locked so you cant switch
snapshot.

This will be verry appriciated i believe.
If you cant complete this feature until wednessday, i believe most of us
are OK with the fact the you launch NC-2 as planned, and let us transfer our character
a few days later.

Please dont merge or lock this thread since atleast i believe its not just another KK Bashing thread.

And to the comunity, please rate this thread so it might get noticed.

Opar
28-09-04, 08:54
If only it were that simple, mate. If only :(

JustIn_Case
28-09-04, 08:56
I think it is...

Just let the dropdown direct you to different datasources. They could use 2 seperate databases, one for each snapshot.

They must have an DB connections string somewhere in the code. Just change the connectionstring depending on the value of the dropdown .

Richard Slade
28-09-04, 09:04
Imagine this:
They take a snapshot of everything on the server under specified circums (ie only qb, imps and such)
And can't take individual snaps since it's all or nothing (due to some big ass coding stuff)

fokusu
28-09-04, 09:12
It's most likely possible and pretty simple to do it. That could be said without knowing how thier data model is developed. They just need to label the new saturn snapshot differently, e.g., Saturn 29/9. Then let us choose between these two. If you chosen one then you won't get the chars from the other one. Not that much coding. Let say 2 hours than a couple of hours testing on that. (Small feature to do but it really has to be bug free). Just add a field in the account table and you're set. Ugly? Yes but this is an ugly situation.

The problem how I see it is why havn't they even considered this? If they have, then I'm worried. ;)

(Hi JC, Doc here... )

JustIn_Case
28-09-04, 09:15
What i imagine:

The snapshot is an very small portion of the database wich only includes all chars, their stats, the faction belongings, all imps, all armour, 10 qb items.
So they already have an snapshot database from the 20:th with this info.

Now they have made a full rollback from the 5:th with the comlete Saturn world and they or going to make an new snapshot out of the tomorrow (the 29:th). They can store this new snapshot in another database, can be done in SQL-Server/Oracle/MySQL whatever they use.

If they cant do that, then they can backup the 20:th snapshot, make a new snapshot, and restore the 20:th snapshot as an new database, can be done in SQL-Server/Oracle/MySQL...

So, the character transfer only need to select which database to use as an source.

/Hi there oldtimer :) /

yavimaya
28-09-04, 09:19
how is any of this to be done from the launcher?
Since you havent put in your username and password yet.... and sure they could add another seperate login section just for that purpose, but meh!!

I Also doubt that they can merge the 2 bits of data, after all, one is an actual backup, the other is just a generic image I imagine. The latter having to be ported, so they wont both be exactly the same format.

JustIn_Case
28-09-04, 09:25
how is any of this to be done from the launcher?
Since you havent put in your username and password yet.... and sure they could add another seperate login section just for that purpose, but meh!!

I Also doubt that they can merge the 2 bits of data, after all, one is an actual backup, the other is just a generic image I imagine. The latter having to be ported, so they wont both be exactly the same format.

You havent played NC-2 beta right??? There IS an username/password login for transfering chars...

"merge the 2 bits of data"? Did i mention merging? No.

fokusu
28-09-04, 09:28
Since the char transfer is done from a web page you still need to login against that "system" first. At least it was like that during the beta.

Add an extra page, "Which snapshot do you want to use?. Choose one and they set a mark on your account. It's not hard, at least is shouldn't be, to have multiple snapshots from the same server. Just treat them as they were from different servers, e.g., Saturn 1 and Saturn 2.

Richard Slade
28-09-04, 09:28
It's most likely possible and pretty simple to do it. That could be said without knowing how thier data model is developed. They just need to label the new saturn snapshot differently, e.g., Saturn 29/9. Then let us choose between these two. If you chosen one then you won't get the chars from the other one. Not that much coding. Let say 2 hours than a couple of hours testing on that. (Small feature to do but it really has to be bug free). Just add a field in the account table and you're set. Ugly? Yes but this is an ugly situation.

The problem how I see it is why havn't they even considered this? If they have, then I'm worried. ;)

(Hi JC, Doc here... )

I vote this option! *****
Gimme gimme

JustIn_Case
28-09-04, 09:31
Since the char transfer is done from a web page you still need to login against that "system" first. At least it was like that during the beta.

Add an extra page, "Which snapshot do you want to use?. Choose one and they set a mark on your account. It's not hard, at least is shouldn't be, to have multiple snapshots from the same server. Just treat them as they were from different servers, e.g., Saturn 1 and Saturn 2.

Kind of what i tried to describe, but i used the word dropdown field... ;)

winnoc
28-09-04, 09:35
Don't ask KK to do things which are complicated for them.
They're bound to screw up and say..... "Sorry for the inconvenience but we have now lost all data after january 1st. We now have to use this snapshot to transfer saturn players to NC2"

It would be the only fair option however, as i see there's still 40% that don't want the sept5 option. Which is still a lot of digruntled people.

Hell, they should even throw in some sort of compensation for this mess, especialy with new competition comming out and all.

Nidhogg
28-09-04, 10:09
Keep it on the sticky.

N