PDA

View Full Version : im a AOL user and i need help!

nobby
28-09-04, 08:37
when i get my aol broadband, in my network places there was a new thingy that appeared in "virtual private network" called the internet 2.
and ive had another called local connection 2,
but my mate, being a boozie, deleted it (intenet 2)
and basicaqly i can't get it back, AOL help desk is full of spastics ive found....... so i need that connnection back!
its the only way i can get xbox live working!

i asked on aol live help and they sent me a mail back saying how to cut off ur net connection in an emmergency!

yeah thanks.......

nobby
28-09-04, 12:21
oh for chirst sake i'm bloody tired of hearing this from everyone!
i use AOL because u get no limit on everything u can do!
because im always downlaoding gigs of shit each day, and im always playing online games so i thought going with AOL would be best.....thats all!

SilentEye
28-09-04, 12:26
Someone tell me what is REALLY wrong with AOL.

Cause I have no idea, I never had AOL ISP.

I feel it's the same with MACs, everyone laughs at them and when you ask them why they shout "Eye Candy" but that's just because they don't really know what's actually wrong with it.

And I admit, I don't either, that's why I don't laugh at it.

nobby
28-09-04, 12:27
yeah same here mate, everyone says that im a prick going with them...

so i ask whats really wrong with them?
they just say....ummm...errrr....you stupid tramp!
then they walk off :lol:

___T-X____
28-09-04, 13:00
The best thing about AOL is that when you change ISP you cant get its of your computer wiythout doing a reinstall .

ROZZER187
28-09-04, 13:18
i got AOL, sad to admit this.

maybe you should get something else, i use aol coz of the dl limit, but i dont use it for necron. if you live in the uk try something like NTL or telewest the connection is much more stable and reliable than aol. imo aol is only good for downloading music and stuff. other than that its a waste of time.

like oath said, Start Menu > Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs > AOL *.0

Get a real isp/client.

switchback
28-09-04, 13:25
do you plug your xbox into your computer using an ethernet cable? and your modem into your computer using a usb cable. if so then what i think you have to do is bridge the two network connections. to do that i think you right click on your modem one and click bridge and choose the other one. and tbh i think you just need to plug the ethernet cable in and windows wants to make a new connection if the card doesnt have one allready

nobby
28-09-04, 14:02
oh for christ sake....
ill reinstall it....and uninstall the modem drivers.......start from scratch!
bloody school....i get home at bloody 4:30!

LiL T
28-09-04, 14:38
AOL is total shit for games it causes laaaag you are not directly connected to the internet instead its some kind of proxy what ever they use. AOL even addmited them selfs its no good for twitch games like quake to much delay on packets being sent. Use BT broadband theres no limit to downloads with there ISP and I never had much bother with them any problems is fixed in a matter of minutes cos they own the fucking network :)

OpTi
28-09-04, 14:42
thats was it, been racking my brains for that. Yeah when you connect to AOL your not actualy connecting tot he net your connecting to thier internal network which functions like a big proxy server. And it SUCKS!

quakenet wanted to ban all aol users from thier servers cause of all the aol users spamming and dossing the server all the time and cause aol is soo good they couldn't trace thier own ip's to cut off the people doing it.

garyu69
28-09-04, 14:43
This is what i believe is wrong with AOL:

- You are forced to use thier client to get online.
- They tell you bullshit about being the only ISP with all this unlimited bandwidth and stuff. Really no other ISP's have caps.
- They will not let you leave
- if you attempt to leave they will make it so you cannot get another ISP.
- eventually they come clean about making it so your phone line cannot have any other ISP.
- they try to get you back then by offering free months.
- that connie person was annoying.

The good things with AOL:

- they send you a free DVD case every so often.

Get rid of AOL and make sure they don't make it so you cannot go with anyone else.

OpTi
28-09-04, 14:45
thats another thing, when i did freeserve tech support (you know the 1 guy that knew what he was doing? :P) ANYONE who had installed aol couldn't connect to ANY isp even after they had "uninstalled" aols software, it just locks the settings and shit to aol's.

Revslad
28-09-04, 17:37
you dont need to use the aol program to connect to there service.

1.i ping fine on all games i play
2.good downloads and uploads speed
3.ive never used the aol program to connect to there service
4.not with aol by choice (damn parents)
5.my involvement with aol is just a username and password and there service nothing more

windows connection manager > aol program tbh :p

its probably not what you want to hear but its not actually a bad service they privide :D

nobby
28-09-04, 18:27
my brother went over the BT limit and they charged him! 8|
his bill of the month was 158 quid!

nobby
28-09-04, 19:03
Nooooooooooooo I Cant Bloody Uninstall Aol!

NS_CHROME54
28-09-04, 19:36
Nooooooooooooo I Cant Bloody Uninstall Aol!

burn (as in fire, not cd's) your hard drive. it's the only way.

nobby
28-09-04, 20:43
how about...no!
this is a bloody 250GB hardrive here mate!

NS_CHROME54
28-09-04, 21:15
how about...no!
this is a bloody 250GB hardrive here mate!

ok. go into your bios and do a low level format. this will physically scrape the data off the plates. sure, your computer will think it's a potato peeler when you're done, but you won't have aol ;)

Xeno LARD
28-09-04, 21:42
Oh well, Don't say I didn't warn you nobby.

BT Does have a cap though. I can't stop using it for a while though :(.

Let's all laugh at nobby.

nobby
29-09-04, 08:37
:D umm...so me coming on, speaking german to kid and saying hello to you lot pisses you off?.....
i think not!
just trying to bully me :p

Gotterdammerung
29-09-04, 08:43
please stick to posting something constructive and try at least to answer his question.

NS_CHROME54
29-09-04, 09:04
please stick to posting something constructive and try at least to answer his question.

when you're trying to remove aol from a computer, ANY advice is constructive.

tiikeri
29-09-04, 09:11
format c: works fine..

naah.. just try to locate the files that shit uses, delete em, and browse ur windows registry for entries and remove them all. should help..

Tho i've never used aol, so can't be sure how that works, but that's the way i've removed some crappy progs that don't want to get uninstalled..

29-09-04, 14:20
At the risk of answering his question.......

Sounds like your going to have to reinstall AOL to restore the items your mate deleted, another option (if youre not on the latest version of AOL) is to upgrade which might also restore the missing items....

If possible you want to use add/remove programs to uninstall AOL first before reinstalling (obviously dont do this if you are going to upgrade it)

Unfortunately I cant be much more specific than that, I've had limited experience with AOL (usually friends who I am helping move off it) because it really is pants (sorry I had to say it) and the tech support is famous for its lack of tech support

Hope this helps