PDA

View Full Version : The Leveling Treadmill

RayBob
27-09-04, 23:13
Every time that I read about an upcoming MMORPG, the same theme is repeated, “minimize the leveling treadmill of other online RPGs.”

(I am fully aware that the leveling treadmill in some other games is much worse than NC's, but that doesn’t matter as I would never consider playing any of those games.)

A while back, KK decided that a tank’s INT would level through ordinary combat. Such a simple change that was welcomed by all.

Why can’t they expand on this idea for all classes?

I propose that all character skills increase through combat or at least through teaming (the way that a PE’s PSI increases). Isn’t it time to abandon the boring method of capping skills through missions?

I also think that a monk’s INT should level at the same rate as their PSI. There is no practical or RP reason for the current scheme.

Constitution should not level from taking damage; it begs to be abused that way it has been for years. It should level as a normal skill at a rate appropriate to the class. For example, with tanks CON would level at the same rate as STR and on a PE at the same rate as INT.

Finally, the amount of experience to cap a skill should be lowered slightly to reduce the need for hundreds of boring and repetitive dungeon runs. For example, reaching level 100 in a skill should require the amount of experience currently required to reach level 95.

Just a few small changes that I think would improve the NC leveling experience. :)

Shinto
27-09-04, 23:19
im down with that

GIJ0e
27-09-04, 23:21

totally agree and have said so in the past. its stupid you dont get any xp whatsoever in minor stats through normal levelling. even a low rate is better than the stupid "omg lets hope a patch brings an exploit so we have a small fucking chance of levelling a minor stat" type behaviour we have seen. for example would they have had to take the massive nerhammer approach to the repairing a tank xp thing, if it wasnt to so fucking difficult to cap monk dex for example?

my suggestion was though, even if you dont get the xp solo, when in teams with relevant classes you get it. i.e team of PSI - HC tank, pistol spy, they get the main stat level as normal, but ALSO the monk gets a bit of dex (nothing major) and str, and the tank and spy get some psi and int (useful for the tank, less so for the spy), you get the idea..

Kopaka
27-09-04, 23:22
I also think that a monk’s INT should level at the same rate as their PSI.

lol.. baddest idea ever ?
imo this idea is even worse than the idea of some1 who wanted a Holy Clone for PPUs.

If you dont get much INT xp.. try reducing your rank, lvl with other ppl/classes or try to look for a different way to lvl.

I sure dont got a problem with lvling INT on my monk. 12 million in 2 hour aint bad i think.

think about it. change the way of (your) lvling

/idea denied

N