PDA

View Full Version : About the Backup Failure on Saturn

Pages : [1] 2

Martin J. Schwiezer
27-09-04, 17:53
(Deutsche Version folgt in wenigen Minuten!)
------------------------------------------------------------------

We highly apologize for the trouble that was caused due to a hardware failure on the Saturn servers. We can now go on and talk/discuss this issue forever... but these are the hard facts:

Due to maintenance work on the old NC servers and due to the setup process of the new NC2 hardware _and_ due to an unexpected hardware failure, a real "Murphy's Law" incident happened which resulted in a totally unexpected chain reaction. The "unfortunate" result of this chain reaction was a loss of various data from the current player/character data base.

The only backup we could recover was a snapshot of the status quo from the 20th of September. However for various reasons this "snapshot" CANNOT be merged into the running game (e.g. it contains only incomplete data about the world status), without messing up the db-structure entirely. We can only port this "snapshot" into the new NC2 dbase...

Another backup, which is still available, is the status quo from the 5th of september. Since this is a full backup, we have the chance to "set back" the entire game for this server to the 5th of September and let you manage your assets accordingly to be ready for the transfer to NC2. However, in this case all progress your character made after the 5th would be lost.

At this point, it is not really helpful to express your disapointment about this incident. It was a stupid chain reaction of bizarre effects... in part, it was our fault... but the graveness of this effect only became irrevocable due to hardware failures which were beyond our control.

You can imagine the big "OH SHIT!!!" expression on our faces, when we realized the aftermaths of this incident. But at the end of the day... we're only humans... and humans can err. And on the other side... it's only hardware... and hardware doesn't err, but may malfunction. It is a terrible bad situation when both of these effects happen at the same moment. But complaining about it is like beating a dead horse with a stick. :(

Again... although it wasn't fully our fault, we highly apologize for this. Things like this must not happen... and hopefully something like this will never happen again.

I'm only writing this post to let you know that we are well aware of the graveness of this incident and we feel seriously bad and sorry about it. We do not go into this and say "Oh, it's not a big deal... the community will take it anyway.", but we plead you to forgive us this unfortunate disaster.

Now we need your input upon this decision:

A) Go back to the 5th of September and have the opportunity to manage your assets before you go to NC2.

B) Keep the status from the 20th of September, which does not give you the oportunity to manage your assets before the transfer.

We will do whatever the community decides and we only can say sorry again for not being able to offer you more attractive options...

Please use only this thread to discuss the whole situation and the two options. All other posts in this forum will be merged into this one or closed. The above poll has been copied from the poll which Thanatos posted before (recent poll results were transfered accordingly).

Clownst0pper
27-09-04, 17:57
omg I feel so bad being pissed off..

im crying at my desk :(

Just a roll back MJS, and ill be a chuffed little bunny :D

naimex
27-09-04, 17:59
But complaining about it is like beating a dead horse with a stick.

Sometimes beating a dead horse helps....

Anyways, how come you didnīt use Holgerīs Thread ?

(I was told to vote 5th september.. so I did)

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 18:00
rollback... i guess :(

Mumblyfish
27-09-04, 18:00
I hate to say it, but that's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard an MMO developer say. At least you're willing to admit that you messed up, and at least you take the blame and genuinely feel sorry. I doubt it'll get you much forgiveness, but it's nice to know that I play a game with compassionate, human dev teams. I might have lost my construct glove, but I can't stay mad at you ;)

tiikeri
27-09-04, 18:01
20th snap with 5th gogu/inventory. otherwise it's totally fucked up.

Or then you should start typing that /set gmtool_spawn <addyouritemwithhighslotshere>

Clownst0pper
27-09-04, 18:03
I hate to say it, but that's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard an MMO developer say. At least you're willing to admit that you messed up, and at least you take the blame and genuinely feel sorry. I doubt it'll get you much forgiveness, but it's nice to know that I play a game with compassionate, human dev teams. I might have lost my construct glove, but I can't stay mad at you ;)

Well, after reading that, I dont give a shit about what I lost.

Hell whats abit of XP loss between friends

*reactivates account*

jernau
27-09-04, 18:03
Can you confirm the dataset Saturn is running on at the moment - I assume it's the backup from the 5th but it would be nice to be 100% certain.

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 18:07
Vote For Rollback Tbh :d

naimex
27-09-04, 18:07
Can you confirm the dataset Saturn is running on at the moment - I assume it's the backup from the 5th but it would be nice to be 100% certain.

think it was said somewhere in the million pages of the other thread it was the 5th september backup.. but it might just have been speculation aswell.

but anything else would make no sense.

Wraith Guard
27-09-04, 18:08
Great!!!!! ive just lost 2 x herc 1 DS 2 x hawkings 2 x RD. Yeh thanks alot KK, thanks! :mad:

mazzaker
27-09-04, 18:09
Sometimes, beating a dead horse feels really, really good, you know?

boombang
27-09-04, 18:09
I like the way now that you guys have been listening, and thanks for that.

Once everyone calms down, has a final answer as to whats happening everything should work out OK - once those who want to leave leave.

I am annoyed that it had to happen like this, and know that with either of the two options loads of people will be pissed off.

Just hope that we can soon get a final answer as to what is happening.

(if rollback to 20th I am leaving - just chars in wrong factions and no point. May check out NC2 in a while if its still around. If if stays with what is currently up, I will still be a bit pissed off, but will move on to NC2 - just need to know so can get my monk over to Crahn!!!)

Darak
27-09-04, 18:10
Erm we leveled characters from scratch ->50% cap exp in the last 2 weeks. If it rolls back i will have nothing on saturn :( If it goes back to the 20th at least i have the characters..... but i'm guessing that will not matter to most ppl.

What about option 3 - delay things for a week and write a custom copy from the damaged fragement into the main game and then let ppl have time to sort things out.

jernau
27-09-04, 18:10
anything else would make no sense.Like having no viable backups (again!!) and blaming the one-armed-hardware-vendor when Mr. Shit and Mr. Fan innevitably redecorate the server room (again!!) makes no sense?

naimex
27-09-04, 18:13
Like having no viable backups (again!!) and blaming the one-armed-hardware-vendor when mr. Shit and mr. Fan innevitably redecorate the server room makes no sense?

doesnt make any sense no...

i just wonder why they didnt have backups on 1 server and the actual server on another server...

Seven
27-09-04, 18:14
OH this sucks!
My half leveled character is gone and has been replaced with one I deleted weeks ago.
Also spent many nights making weapons for him for NC2.
All the rearranging I did for NC2 is all lost, all that work, all that time.
Deleted chars that I spent hours sorting and trading and were able to delete are now BACK!

So much I have done the last couple weeks is all FUCKING gone!

In a game where things change constantly, YOU NEED TO BACK UP MORE OFTEN OR DO WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Two years of "Oooops we're sorry"
This backup story and "chain of unlikely events" seems just that, very unfuckinglikely.

As for the poll it doesn't matter what you do because I'm fucked either way.
In any case, thanks for the info...

Sakletare
As i said in the other thread:

The best thing would be to use the snap from the 20:th so you won't loose to much symp/exp/items and then help people get stuff back from gogo/cabs in the sep 5:th backup through helpdesk. It's lots of work for Reakktor but you really deserve it for fucking up this big.
Also, turning back the clock to three weeks ago and just giving your customers one day to re-do everything is not a working strategy, you have to adapt your plans for a failiure this big if you choose to use the 5:th.

Finaly, you have to compensate your customers in some way for this incompetence of yours (not being able to make backups isn't force majure) by offering special treatment, free play time, etc, etc. Then you might make people not cancel their accounts.

40$Poser
the moral of this story is, invest is better servers, don't stress out hardware and hopefully there won't be a malfunction of this sort of level again. Now how about a refund for a month's worth of gameplay? :p

flawl3ss
This is unbeliveable.... You play an rpg to find items, its not the char that takes time to get(make) its the items that u find, Almost all time that is put into the game goes into the items, If u decide to rollback to 20th we loose all months we invested in getting all of our rare items, But if u rollback to 5th we get to keep most of them and our chars, which is a much more reasonable alternative.
Also take into consideration that other servers like PLUTO / URANUS / JUPITER are voting on the 20th option just to make saturns players loose all there items, and therfor less competition on the international server which most of this players will play on at the end.

Me and many other people i know will quit if u decide to go with the 20th option since then ur screwing us completly over, with us loosing ALL our stuff which we have worked for very hard in several months even years.

Marshall1
27-09-04, 18:15
MJ there is a solution surely a third one just takes a week longer im sure it cant be hard to do this

if i get it correctly the snap shot has to go into staright into nc2 so you would need ot do that first but what if you did say those who wanted the snap shot could go first then after 3 or 4 days those chars left go rolled back to the 5 th september isnt that a much fairer and simpler solution

BloodLetting
27-09-04, 18:19
DONT CARE EITHER WAY you know with KK its always something more Drama than a high school cheerleader
CYAz I Quit

damn that feels good have fun with your new fan base very obvious the old timers are old news

Clownst0pper
Just roll back.

Ill have lost nothing except a level on kaolin.

And Koro will be back to pure melee.

And then, I will be happy.

Etirann
Is it not possible to give the option to players individually through the character transfer system? Like, giving characters snapped on the 20th a different server distinction? So people could choose per chracter. Not sure how the system works but, *shrug* Can't really just screw over half of your Saturn population to please the other half.

Edited: Wrong date

aleph0
27-09-04, 18:20
Is it possible to load the backup from 20th sep on a neo2 beta server, give everyone money to buy armor/tools/stuff and gm spawn (or script) items depending on players class/rank?

Herbitt
27-09-04, 18:20
Im gonna loose my fifth DS if it rolls back, so i vote 20th september backup, where all my chars actually have decent weps. if not then .... i know where the door is .

Spex
27-09-04, 18:21
The only backup we could recover was a snapshot of the status quo from the 20th of September. However for various reasons this "snapshot" CANNOT be merged into the running game (e.g. it contains only incomplete data about the world status), without messing up the db-structure entirely. We can only port this "snapshot" into the new NC2 dbase...

Another backup, which is still available, is the status quo from the 5th of september. Since this is a full backup, we have the chance to "set back" the entire game for this server to the 5th of September and let you manage your assets accordingly to be ready for the transfer to NC2. However, in this case all progress your character made after the 5th would be lost.

So it's not possible to merge the snapshot from the 20th into the full backup of the 5th? wtf? Infact I wouldn't care when I had to wait for a week longer for DoY just to get the BEST of both things together. Telling it's impossible is a lie, so come on, get your asses up and do something for the players.

If you guys can't be bothered though and stick to the simple solutions ... I would be kinda interested in how many players (or even better: accounts) you have lost today.

cRazy2003
all i say is KK really should have some magnetic backup tapes, even here at work theres a old computer with a tape writer and an auto program which backs up any new infomation to the tapes at a certain time everyday, weve been able to recover 99.9% of everything after system crashes.

frkline
so... the hamster finally bit the bullet? :(

Clownst0pper
Im gonna loose my fifth DS if it rolls back, so i vote 20th september backup, where all my chars actually have decent weps. if not then .... i know where the door is .

5th DIMMENSION SPLITTER GUYS-

And EVERY SINGLE ONE was lost due to Saturn Server being down, roll backs, fuck ups, etc etc.

Herb, go back to the 5th, ull still have those DS parts I got you, and you WILL get another come DOY.

Marshall1
i cant see it being that hard to do its logical to me it may not be exceptionaly easy but it cant be impossible everything is possible you just need ot find the right work around just do the snap shot of the 20th in nc1 then after 2 or 3 days anyone left on saturn who hasnt transfered chars over roll back to the 5 th of september its that simple

Clownst0pper
27-09-04, 18:25
MJS.

If us Saturn Players are as forgiving as we always have been.

Can you gaurentee us nothing like this will happen again?

General Crazy
if we are going with the backup from the 5th please remove the SI from loms and just leave the XP lose

Bred
[ edited ]

DigestiveBiscui
MJS.

Can you gaurentee us nothing like this will happen again?

yea i wanna know that :)

Darken
27-09-04, 18:26
He can't
Maybe for 99,9% but not 100 :O

Siygess
martin, as both options will ultimately yield a snapshot please consider both and hack one of the two snap shots to make it seem as though it has come from a different server...this would allow saturn players to migrate the version of the character they want

SatyrHatyr
With something like this happening, I dont see why the game is worth playing any more

..i..DemonX
Well i never played Saturn realy, but im sorry to read that shit now!

I would like say that all Chars from Saturn should get something nice (nothing overpowerd just something nice) in NC2 then. Sure now will ppl come and say why? Well just cuz it was KK's failure and well it would be a very nice action of KK to say sorry this way!

Sorry for all Saturn players! Hope u still gonna stay tough!

Original monk
27-09-04, 18:27
this situation aint shiney it seems o.O

i yust phoned with a mate of mine (angeldustbe4), he didnt equip hes stuff before the 20th and has loads of stuff in hes gogo/cabs including rares and ultrarares wich he will loose with the Snapshotoption, he needs a full rollback

this in contrast with myself who allready settled the chars before the 20th ... problem is that i made lots of nice multislotted weapons between the 5th and the 20th, not even mentioning a few nice trades that happend in the meanwhile ... my ideal solution would be the Snapshotoption then, a full rollback would mean great loss ...

with other words, either way the option, theres always someone thats gonna be unhappy :/

not the brightest situation indeed, also im trying to be inpartial

still i must say that these situations are kinda typical, certainly when it only affects that same old saturn server :) i mentioned sumthing like this earlier but i didnt realise the proportion of this hardwaremalfunction back then

gl

evs
27-09-04, 18:27
Please don't listen to those that shout loudest, or those that spam the forums the most on this matter.

I know a lot of people that will lose entire characters that they've worked hours on already (hell i even took several days off work to level my char on saturn)

And would lose not just a level, or a few rares or items - but in fact lose *everything* they have on a server.

Losing 1 level = bleh

Being a newb to a server and losing everything you have spent the last 100 hours = game over.

El_MUERkO
27-09-04, 18:29
Being entirely selfish, my characters were fine on the 20th of September, everything they needed for NC2 was setup and good to go.

On the 5th of spetember my character were not fine, were not setup and were most definitely not ready for NC2.

Since I cant sort out my runners between now and the transfer I voted for option A.

B isnt the worst thing in the world but its one more reason for be to just pack the whole game in and wait of WoW's european beta.

Marshall1
27-09-04, 18:30
well newbs dont have to worry to much i got a good selection of chars on the international server i will help as many as possible get bakc up to speed if i can would be nice if some otheres would volenteer to help and the guys who may lose a lot the vets i can build you up your weps or stuff or res your rare parts just pay for the grease no tips we soon have you up to speed but i would need a hand i aint clever enough to do it on my own lol

27-09-04, 18:30
Ok I have voted, but will go with the majority.

What Id like to know is, is there any point in doing anything to my chars NOW, or will/is it likey to change again?

C.

LiL T
27-09-04, 18:31
OMG.... OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! :mad:

I need symp bitchs TS ones to get my trade skillers into BD *sigh* I'm sick of fucking redoing stuff I allready did.

/EDIT would be nice you know !! if .. if a GM swaped my tradeskiller into blackdragoon I don't think that would be much to ask :rolleyes:

MrChumble
27-09-04, 18:32
Roll back and lose 20 days worth of work, or use the snapshot and lose a years worth. Bit of a no brainer really. Doesn't bother me either way, I've had my saturn char setup for a couple of months, but I really feel sorry for the guys who haven't.

I'm almost speechless here. There's no point ranting, I mean what could I say to highlight how awful this is that isn't already obvious. It's not like I had huge faith in KK anyway, but to know they don't even have a proper backup policy on their data...pathetic beyond words. What total amateurs.

SynC_187
27-09-04, 18:33
If you roll back to the 5th, I've lost an extra 15 day. I spent that time building shit and setting up my chars. I can't achieve that by Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't even have the time to try.

I'll check the decision later and decide whether to go to NC2 or cancel based on that.

In the end I'm here to play a game and have fun. When it stops being fun I move on.

SatyrHatyr
27-09-04, 18:33
MJS.

I've been forgiving enough. This is the last straw. My rare database is OFF BY OVER ONE THOUSAND PARTS so there isn't any hope of a re-inventory before the transfer, let alone the construction/retrading. NOT TO MENTION THE LOSS.

The following was lost:

4x riggers dream
1x herc
1x hawking
4x psi core
5x marine
9x special science
1x SF
5 slot thunderstorm
2 slot free all 120 exec
1 slot free all 120 laser judge
all 120 fire apoc
5x psi ultima
6x rifle ultima
11x pistol ultima

countless more...

It also needs to be taken into consideration that people have MADE CHARACTERS in the meantime. Clanmates have lost WHOLE CHARACTERS, nearly capped and outfitted with rares.

/end rant :mad:

Martin J. Schwiezer
27-09-04, 18:41
but to know they don't even have a proper backup policy on their data...pathetic beyond words.Of course there is a "proper" backup system in place. But no matter how much bucks you spend and how "proper" your system is... nothing is 100% fail safe. :( Please read my initial post to understand our point of view.

MrChumble
27-09-04, 18:41
The following was lost:

Ouch :(

Only thing to do is remember the games there for the playing not the hording, but that's probably small consolation after the time and items lost :(

giga191
27-09-04, 18:42
I for one forgive you. It just means that NC2 will be more of a challenge :)

Marshall1
27-09-04, 18:43
im gonna sign up to that game were not allowed ot talk about as well as nc2 so 2 accounts here 1 there be expensive for me lol

jernau
27-09-04, 18:47
@evs - if KK gave a damn about new players they wouldn't be wiping stuff in the first place.

tiikeri
27-09-04, 18:48
Of course there is a "proper" backup system in place. But no matter how much bucks you spend and how "proper" your system is... nothing is 100% fail safe. :( Please read my initial post to understand our point of view.

Oviously it's not proper.. and proper backupping would be more like once a day, rather than twice a month..

Tostino
27-09-04, 18:48
Well i have nothing if you role back to the 5th cus i made my chars the 11th and are almost caped. But if you role back to the 20th i am fucked too cus i had nothing on them from the 18th to the 21st. Well i am back to having 1 useable char for DoY.
THANKS KK :mad:

P.S. Oh yea that little huricane knocked out my power and cable so there is no way to fix my chars if they do a new backup like was stated in the other thread.

boombang
27-09-04, 18:49
im gonna sign up to that game were not allowed ot talk about as well as nc2 so 2 accounts here 1 there be expensive for me lol
thats some good typing / punctuation / lol'ing there.

kepp up teh g00d wrok?!? lol

ridec
Thanks for beeing honest KK, I lost some nice stuff alot of hours leveling and get ready for NC2. Stuff like that can always happens, I hope KK learned something from this. I still don't understand why the latest fully backup is that old but you where probaly busy whit get the server and fix NC2, I hope you will learn from all the fails in NC1 and do as much as you can to stop situtations like this.

See You in NC2 ;)

BTW; Koro nice to see you back, firewall blocks for TS :mad:

DigestiveBiscui
have u made a decision yet MJS?

ZyproN
27-09-04, 18:53
Thanks for beeing honest KK, I lost some nice stuff alot of hours leveling and get ready for NC2. Stuff like that can always happens, I hope KK learned something from this. I still don't understand why the latest fully backup is that old but you where probaly busy whit get the server and fix NC2, I hope you will learn from all the fails in NC1 and do as much as you can to stop situtations like this.

See You in NC2 ;)

BTW; Koro nice to see you back, firewall blocks for TS :mad:

My post on wrong account :(

Now you know who its from Koro ;)

MrChumble
27-09-04, 18:53
Of course there is a "proper" backup system in place. But no matter how much bucks you spend and how "proper" your system is... nothing is 100% fail safe. :( Please read my initial post to understand our point of view.
I guess it depends on your point of view. Where I work it's not so much a case of "is the backup working" so much as "which backup do you want, the one from last hour, day, week, year, from centre A, local backup or remote backup C? And would you like fries with that?" The backup never fails, cos the backup has backups, and the backups of the backup are backed up in triplicate. If your data is important it should take nothing less than a nuclear war for it to go missing.

The fact that you lost your data and the best you can do is 5th September is shockingly bad. Sure it costs a helluva lot to back it up all up, but how many customers will you have left if you don't?

Darkana
27-09-04, 18:55
I will loose in both cases, so this whole poll is totally pointless to me.

Besides this seemingly impossible merge of 5th backup and 20th snapshot (why? its software and there is always a way to transform data) I have a fourth solution, which includes saying good bye to everyone here ...

I could wait for DoY even a week or two, even though others would play it already, but I can't be arsed to do all the stuff again I did in the last 3 weeks. This includes capping the int of my monk (as LE-PPU), this includes getting my first MC5 chips, this includes leveling new characters so they can hold certain implants (thanks for my friends helping me there, even though all this time is down the drain now it seems) and not to talk about all the other stuff I did during that time ...

KK, instead of forcing to meet the deadline of DoY for the Saturn players you should stop running around like headless chickens and get a proper solution up and working. I mean the question here is, do you want to keep the customers or not? Personally I don't care who or what is responsible for this messup, it happened and now its your turn to keep the damage low, and this is certainly not done by using the "simple" solutions.

jernau
27-09-04, 18:56
What Chumble said. If this happened on my watch they wouldn't have to fire me, I'd resign and find a new career.

jini
27-09-04, 18:57

Martin,
We all understand that there is no 100% safe backup system, but instead of just presenting only 2 choices, why dont you let them decide for a free one, a new idea a compensation or something. I'm not on saturn at all, but i sympathize all this hard work they' ve done for nothing.
Here is my idea:
You can leave Saturn server open, decide on a later date so everyone can build their chars do their trading and set them ready for nc2. Just for Saturn I think it would only be fair

...only make sure you keep correct backups now so that in the end of the deadline nothing like this will happen again :D:D:D just give em some more days to prepare again. make it a week or so whats wrong with that?

Marshall1
27-09-04, 18:57
yea i dont understand why they cant use both maybe they could tells us why its impossible to do both solutions together like some of us have stated if it cant be done let us know so i will then shut up lol

Darak
27-09-04, 18:58
Can you not just have an option on transfering saturn chars to nc2 to decide with backup you want your characters to be taken from. Then everyone is 'happy' ?

deac
27-09-04, 19:01
thank god i dont play this shit anymore.. ill have to redo my qb on 8 chars...
thats about it...

but im sorry to say im leaving.

Hell i been waiting for doy many years... i will buy it.
Wont prolly play it but meh.

hmm i got 5 accounts for sale... to bad none is buying stuff for this pos anymore :(

jini
27-09-04, 19:02
Also another thought
How can you tell the poll is correct and there is no spamming in it for various reasons?
Getting the correct snapshot of 5th sep and extending the deadline will sort both problems

Marshall1
27-09-04, 19:02
i just thought of a fith a solution there isnt that much of a player base wquite a few duplicate accounts so why not copy the data from saturn onto another server one that not gonna be used any more then like you can transfer chars to nc2 form other servers put them up
1 will have the 20th snap shot the other will have 5th september roll back put the 20th up first for say 3 days and allow peeps to tranfer from it then you will be left with the ones who want the 5th of speteber back up and then you can allow them to transfer them over

i solved it in an easy solution

Ryman
27-09-04, 19:04
i dont vote either ..........how about vote N0 4 none of them as they are all unacceptable .

i can either take my characters now with nothing or from the 5th when they were lower levels and i didnt have half the stuff i collected over the levels i have gained over tha past 3 weeks where i have worked my heart out to get ready for NC2 .

I have 3 accounts and the only thing acceptable to me is if you give me my characters at the levels they were on the 20th and my inventory from th 5th .
im still being fucked over then ..........if not all i can say is 3 accounts cancelled ......and forever

ridec
27-09-04, 19:04
Well, we can argue forever, it won't solve the problem anyways like Martin says. But shouldn't you be prepared if this happen? You could imagine what would happen, and it's really weird that you don't have a backup server, and when i saw this, i was kind of pissed off. I used all the last days for leveling 24/7, and try to trade stuff, getting stuff constructed. But we can't do anything, and i have only one thing more to say: I take your apolagize (however you spell it).

-ridec

Carinth
27-09-04, 19:06
Guys, they're not gonna merge. The snapshot of the 20th is not compatible with NC1, it will only work with NC2 hence why you can't make any changes to it. Even if you do merge somehow, you still end up pissing people off.

For me, rollback to the 5th means I lost 3 chars completely and a good portion of what I wanted to bring to DOY. I remember certain saturn players telling me "you've got a month so go make a saturn char and level it, then you'll be able to transfer as much as we do."

Much more preferable for me is using the 20th snapshot. My characters were all happily setup for transfer by the 19th. But eh, this is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Lots of people are/going to quit because of this whichever way kk goes.

ZyproN
27-09-04, 19:06
i dont vote either ..........how about vote N0 4 none of them as they are all unacceptable .

i can either take my characters now with nothing or from the 5th when they were lower levels and i didnt have half the stuff i collected over the levels i have gained over tha past 3 weeks where i have worked my heart out to get ready for NC2 .

I have 3 accounts and the only thing acceptable to me is if you give me my characters at the levels they were on the 20th and my inventory from th 5th .
im still being fucked over then ..........if not all i can say is 3 accounts cancelled ......and forever

We all was preparing for nc2 we all lost its simpel, I think KK is sorry not much to do else then go to NC2 and level there.

In fact i only need 1 char to cap and Im going to try it out in NC2 ;)

40$Poser
27-09-04, 19:08

a hard lesson learned, most likely costing you more customers. The thing is, at least for Saturn. The reliability of the server has been less than trust worthy. People would post about it lagging to hell, no reply nothing... and eventually something like this happens. Makes it kind of obvious 'We told you so'.

ZyproN
27-09-04, 19:09
a hard lesson learned, most likely costing you more customers. The thing is, at least for Saturn. The reliability of the server has been less than trust worthy. People would post about it lagging to hell, no reply nothing... and eventually something like this happens. Makes it kind of obvious 'We told you so'.

Whats going to happend whit the Saturn server in nc2? Send it home to me and I show you have to burn a server :D

Clownst0pper
27-09-04, 19:09

didnt think anyone would say it :rolleyes:

Dargeshaad
27-09-04, 19:10
IF you revert the server to the 5th (as it's look like right now) then PLEASE add a faction change NPC like you had on the test server where you could change faction with just the click of a button. Would be nice with LOM pills with no SI/EXP loss but I would think that would require some more than just a simple faction change NPC

jernau
27-09-04, 19:11
IF you revert the server to the 5th (as it's look like right now) then PLEASE add a faction change NPC like you had on the test server where you could change faction with just the click of a button. Would be nice with LOM pills with no SI/EXP loss but I would think that would require some more than just a simple faction change NPC
This is a good idea.

(therefore it won't happen)

evs
27-09-04, 19:16
If you put it back to the 5th i'd like to give a KK employee my login details, and my phone number - and they can give me a call when i have all my stuff / levels / changes back to how it was

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 19:18
I guess its not possible to take a few of these ideas and merge them?
Add the Faction change NPC
Reset skill points
Rollback to the 5th
Give us a week on saturn to get our shit together (move it to the test server cluster or something)
Take a snapshot of Saturn on October 4th and allow us to transfer saturn to NC2 then.

H

Marshall1
27-09-04, 19:19
see there are quite a few work arounds just means giving peeps a chance to get set up there were 2 ways of doing it now you have at least 6 solutions you could choose from its not rocket science just takes a bit of time

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 19:21
How long is this poll going on for?

Ryman
27-09-04, 19:21
We all was preparing for nc2 we all lost its simpel, I think KK is sorry not much to do else then go to NC2 and level there.

In fact i only need 1 char to cap and Im going to try it out in NC2 ;)

yeah but ive lost so much more than levels ....... basicaly i got fuck all now and theres no point continuing . and this isnt just a rant , this is totaly unacceptable , they could do more .

how about the snap shot of the 5th and a GM come give me my levels back? they can check what level i was in the snap shot .

but no ..... so no more money from me

Marshall1
27-09-04, 19:26
Another thing you said nc2 is a whole new game so why cant you free up all the skill points for the chars on saturn you could do it for the otheres if you wanted to as well give evryone the chance to start a fresh and set there chars up thats another solution a mass loss of mem simple

then peeps can sort them selfs out and addapt i think thats the 7th solution

this would enbale the 5th sept roll back and allow the people with the skill points from the 20th to have there skill points

Seven
27-09-04, 19:44
*drinks Southern Comfort* ahhhhhh...

..no really, just came back from the Liquor store...

Scaramanga
27-09-04, 19:46
Shit happens.

I cancelled my NC1 account ready to activate NC2 account as soon as i got myself a hard copy of it. Deleted the client from my comp and as i got NC as a dl in the first place im now pretty fucked as i dont have time to dl it again, looks like my alts will be going over with just what they had in their pockets at the time. Fucking annoyed. Makes me feel a lot better that you admitted its your fault though.

*picks up stick and looks for dead horse to flog*

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 19:46
Shit happens.

I cancelled my NC1 account ready to activate NC2 account as soon as i got myself a hard copy of it. Deleted the client from my comp and as i got NC as a dl in the first place im now pretty fucked as i dont have time to dl it again, looks like my alts will be going over with just what they had in their pockets at the time. Fucking annoyed. Makes me feel a lot better that you admitted its your fault though.

*picks up stick and looks for dead horse to flog*

havent seen u about in ages scar :)

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 19:49
If this happened to me ( I am the senior Network Admin at a major medical university in the US)
I would be walking out the door with a box full of my posessions.

has anyone ever heard of the five nines rule?
That means that your server has to be up and running for 99.999% of the time ( equates to just over 5 minutes per year of downtime)

I have to abide by it and i am not a global company.

H
/edit and my budget is pretty small compared to most companies.

NcdJustin
27-09-04, 19:53
I guess its not possible to take a few of these ideas and merge them?
Add the Faction change NPC
Reset skill points
Rollback to the 5th
Give us a week on saturn to get our shit together (move it to the test server cluster or something)
Take a snapshot of Saturn on October 4th and allow us to transfer saturn to NC2 then.

H

I agree - All of that would make this easier on us. Must be hard for KK .. but if they can do something above and beyond for once -- it would show they care.

If they dont go above and beyond, im just gonna toss what i have in NC2, and delete all my chars and get a clean reset. It might make this game more fun and less of a stress.

Dribble Joy
27-09-04, 19:54
Roll to teh 5th, faction change NPC and a skill release and move NC2 to friday.
'Sall I got.

Seven
27-09-04, 19:57
'Sall I got.

Yeah at least for Saturn and you (KK) can release retail for the other servers as planned.

Ghanima
27-09-04, 20:01
Is there anyway for you (KK) to split the difference? People how want the role back get it and the people who don't, don't.
The problem I face with the role back is I spent the early part of September trading for the odds and ends that I needed, and although I get screwed by not having the chance to set up for a final time, I get even more screwed with a role back.
I don't have the time to get to my computer or the energy to deal with the mad amount of trading people will be doing to get the few items I already have lined up and ready to go.
The only other thing I could see that would help is to allow people more time (at least over a weeekend) to get there affairs in order.

Ghanima :angel:

LiL T
27-09-04, 20:02
I must say I was really mad but my characters are now set yes a few items are gone and one of my chars is not in the faction I put him in due him rolling back. No worrys for me I'll adapt and use him for the proto epic chip which is all I use in my PE no moveon I'm chilled now.

But DAMN KK wtf!! its allways fucking saturn surely you must have know its a buggy POS months ago O_o You lost alot of customers today and good members of the comunity I really doubt they will ever come back. I don't think it will stop there I'm pretty sure at least 100 other people may quit

But shit happens eh?

:(

40$Poser
27-09-04, 20:07
didnt think anyone would say it :rolleyes:

looks like I just did :rolleyes:

ok, to even out the previous post

(inserts some sort of praise for KK admitting they did indeed screw up majorly)

the flow of balance is restored, return to posting sirs

bluelights
27-09-04, 20:08
im totally dissapointed,,,,,, i have been playing since beta4

and all i can say if you (KK) cant sort out something for us saturn players who have been suffering all along with saturn then im out and i will never return

i will wait and see what your (KK) reaction is and decide what to do,,, based upon ur final decsion i will decide weather tto continue playing or cancel my account

i am very upset,,,, i dont care what the problems are,,,,, at the end of the day customers are always right and its your time to pull ur finger out and do something about it.......

my quick belts were only setup at the time of beta for neo 2

sort it out

br

Seven
27-09-04, 20:08
"Rollback to Sept 5 and make a new snapshot on Tuesday/Wednesday"

Figures tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to spend 3 hours at the Dentist and it's an hour ride to and from.

So today/tonight will be the only time I have depending on when they make a decision.

Saturn needs to be put off going to retail until at least next Monday so people can get somewhat sorted again.

Give us a break for once eh?

Brammers
27-09-04, 20:11
Ok I don't know what I would have done if this had happened to Pluto, where all my characters are, but I know a few Saturn peeps are not very happy.

Unfortunatly as MJS says Murphy's law, hardware can break, including backup systems. I've seen it happen last week, when a mail server died. The backup for the last week was broken, and the most recent was 1 week earlier.

Anyway...to get your attention...have a read of this quote...(That includes KK)

martin, as both options will ultimately yield a snapshot please consider both and hack one of the two snap shots to make it seem as though it has come from a different server...this would allow saturn players to migrate the version of the character they want

And I ask, why can't the Saturn players have this? What do Saturn people think?

Riddle
27-09-04, 20:12
I am dissapointed this has happened yet I wont flame with all that F@#$ rubbish. Swearing never solved anything.

I would like a resolution that is fitting, not the easiest solution.
If u roll back I lose a little in level which I can make up in NC2 but I cannot trade or arrange to get stuff I had as at last week in so short a time and who's to say they will trade again or even have it to trade.
If you use the 20th I had nothing in my QB, nothing in my armour and 3 imps out due to ganking :p unfortunately for me it was all in genrep ( Backpack)when u took snapshot :( x3 chars!!!

I understand your apologetic and I thank you for that but can't you offer us guys from Saturn some compensation and no I dont mean Cash or Free play time but simply a spawn of ten items per char of our choice? That way you wont lose any income but we get to take some cool items ;)

Seven
27-09-04, 20:13

*pukes*

HoneyMonster
27-09-04, 20:15
Just curious as to what exactly a snapshot is ?

I assume it is just a round up of the data that is specifically needed for the transfer of characters from nc1 to nc2 skills, Points spent, faction , Items in belt imps etc..........

From what have seen kk say it is impossible to merge the rollback and the Snapshot together.
ok fine

But what if you take a snapshot of the current server from the rolled back state retrieve the same info ie belts imps and armor then merge the skills and faction from the 20th snapshot with a one that could be made today ?

I mean i know it would take some effort ;) but could it be done even at the cost of delaying Saturns launch into nc2 ?

Mumblyfish
27-09-04, 20:21
*pukes*
I'm such a girl.

LexiconAlpha
27-09-04, 20:27
Is there no separate db of peoples base skill that can be pasted over the 5th roll back? <<Clutches at straws :( If so it might take time but id wait a bit longer for a fuller and more satifying conclusion to this 'issue'..Hell i'd do it all myself if i could!

Ive voted for the 5th Roll back coz, while i loathe the thought of the lost time i put in leading up to the transfer, Xp can be regained slighty easier than the item i was ready to take and slots i gained on shit i was preparing to transfer etc, you know.

I cant believe it, coz we'll lose like nearly a months play, down time included :( << Puts hand out for rebate :angel:

Martin, are these the only options we have, or are these the options all the dev team have deamed time/cost effective..i dont like to push but i know you understand the upset caused to a lot of folk.

Thanks for the apology, however. Im sure you will do your best to help the community.

Let all have an NC meeting :) Martin, get your storm suit on and buy us a cron... :cool:

Original monk
27-09-04, 20:30
'Sall I got.

217 - 297 when i checked last

in economical, marketing, political and strategic view these numbers lie extremely close togheter 8| wich in this situation isnt good .. at all

i dunno what to say on this matter, the more honest would be to rollback to the 5th so everything can start over again, yust to safe the people that waited for the last days to get their gear togheter (-or- the people that waited a bit longer yust so they could keep playing till the very end of NC1) it wouldnt be proper to yust let them slide :/

on the other way theres people like myself that still did some stuff (builds, levelin up, changin factions and trades sumtimes for serieus stuff :/ ) when they where settled with everything ready in QB - > then the second solution would be ideal..

either way this is gonna hurt :/ altough the rollbackoption seems the most honest so ya can atleast rebuild/retrade youre stuff etc (altough chances of serieus trading/building decrease ffcourse) but then all people waiting for the last moment atleast can put there stuff in there QB

the less selfish method is a rollback to the 5th, a snapshot is cool and easy if ya had anything ready ... but many will arrive at NC2 with 0-nothing-nada-zero stuff then knowing they had there appartment/gogo packed with mc5's, 5slotted rares and i dunno what all ...

personally after lots of thinking im in favour of the rollback altough in my own personal situation a snapshot would be ideal ...

tbh i dont even know if i keep playing, life seems to be getting more serieus lately: work, woman and money change a person :) wich doesnt change the fact that this is quite an intresting poll, intresting is the wrong choise of words maybe cause the choise is hard ( altough not that hard as the 4th option ffcourse, complete wipe 8| )

small confession: also to be realy honest i didnt think about the options in the beginning and took the easy way out :-/ you can change my snapshotvote to a i dont care vote if ya like :)

update: 233 - 313

LexiconAlpha
27-09-04, 20:32
20th or 5th

Rock >or =2 Hard Place
Hard Place >or =2 Rock

Go figure!

O_o

bluelights
27-09-04, 20:33
im not voting on this poll

thats it,,,,,,,,,,,,i have had enough of this game :( very sad day for me and i suspect alot of other players

i want a refund now, how do i get that ? i just paid for another 3 months

br

Dopey_Jack
Any resolution yet?

Best idea so far is merging the snapshot with the backup (it *HAS* happened before on Saturn) even though i'm pretty sure I would lose an SA if that happened.

I assume that it would also only be fair to give Saturn players a time period that includes another weekend to get our shit together given that most seem to work (assuming from forum posts). I don't think anyone would mind not getting into NC2 straight away.

Everyone is then happy yes? (people who prepped have all their QB items and people who left it late *cough*me*cough* get time to get stuff together)

HoneyMonster
20th or 5th

Rock >or =2 Hard Place
Hard Place >or =2 Rock

Go figure!

O_o
LMAO :lol:.

Jaffo
27-09-04, 20:34
Well, after reading that, I dont give a shit about what I lost.

Hell whats abit of XP loss between friends

*reactivates account*

ermm u will give it a shit what i lost wen i have to ppu ur ass ;p

atm from just breif checking dr nick i have lost over 100 million int exp 5 slot holy heal. i know my 5 slto ultiamted res was made before but i cant find that either

i lost all the lomming from my cster to pure droner

fuck knows what else ive lost

what a nice way to come back from a 10 hour shift at work hearing all this an quite a few of friends and clannies have quit.

thx alot kk thx a fuckign lot

plague
27-09-04, 20:34
just seen this anouncment and it realy sux......roll back to sep 5th?
if that to happen it would be last thing kk need to do to make me quit....
since sep 5th: recaped monks psi 2lvls(about 27 million points), recaped tank 5 lvls (50 mill points), and set up me ppu for transfer(got psi core and make 5 slot heal and S/D), not counting minor preparation like all 5 sloted spells for me hybrid.... am not about to do all this work again....so unless kk want to recap me chars am not going to nc2, had just about enough of this "inconviniences"....
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Disturbed021
27-09-04, 20:35
'Sall I got.
Best idea tbh.

Tho I dont see why you guys can't make it both ways...on the transfer screen why can't there be "SS from 9/20" and "SS from 9/28".
That way ppl can choose which ever is better for them...

awkward silence
27-09-04, 20:35
Let us saturnians get our gogo aswell...might help alot to stay.
I would leave but i know ill be back atleast once to check doy.
I cant really blame KK cuz i know mistakes happen but they should compensate ie gogo or no upgrade payment since we get a shitty one neways.

It would show real character of KK to give us a free upgrade and not just a good post.

Seth T. Vice
27-09-04, 20:37
Oh this just sucks! After a 1 1/2 year long pause I just recently started to play Neocron again. Please guys don't use the backup from the 5th of septembre - I invested so much fucking time into levelling that if you would use this backup I would be 1/8 again! Pleeeeaase don't!!!! 8|

Drake6k
27-09-04, 20:39
heh heh heh

My only reaction to reading this thread was to laugh. KK we have put up with so much crap. Yesterday I gave up preparing one of my characters on Pluto because I crashed 6 times trying to do citycom missions... I made a Saturn character four days ago for pvp in DoY and guess what. The servers went down when I was in the middle of leveling him and now he is gone forever. In the process of leveling that character in two hours I warped into two different apartments when I was leveling... I guess after over two years I have come to accept the bullshit that comes with this game.

KK you did admit you were wrong and went about this (imo) as good as you could. I know you have like 3 devs and they do the best they can (even if sometimes it isnt enough) So I can forgive you.

Just keep fucking over Saturn :eek: :D and leave Pluto alone (but still gives us a 2 slot international) ;)

Ryman
27-09-04, 20:40
Ok Since We Have To Keep All The Fuking Posts Here Give Us Some Fuking Answers To Go With Them .....not Just Bundle Them All Here Where No One Can Read Them

mishkin
27-09-04, 20:46
[/QUOTE]Best idea tbh.[QUOTE]

No, the best idea = Total wipe of all servers.

Backup from the 5th: I lose loads on my tank, including a marine, ppu goes back to being useless with no spells.... lose my droner alltogether, a friend loses his tank which he had gotten to like /56...

Snapshot from 20th: Tank gets only one weapon with him, which he can't use, and a load of stamboosters :D My ppu has everything she'll need, but hey, that's just pure luck if it happens...

I don't care really, it's just... sad... I don't know if I'll continue playing if they chose the 5th, might go try [Insert forbidden game-name here] instead... Anyway, the way I see it, if they take the 20th, everyone gets to keep their current setups, and someone might lose a few rares... not that many anyway... if they take the 5th, people will lose whole characters and LOADS of stuff... o_O

Original monk
27-09-04, 20:46
also, as a sidenote, i dont think that its all saturnplayers that are voting here

i think everyone is votin here :)

i see guys yelling on trade encouraging people in wich vote to pick, crazy situation lol

i aint saying this poll is wrong, im saying some people seem to be goin nuts here lol :eek:

JustIn_Case
27-09-04, 21:00
We do not go into this and say "Oh, it's not a big deal... the community will take it anyway.",

Sorry to say it, but you do.....
There are several things you could do to help out, but you wont do it, dont know why, but you refuse for some reason.

1. Skill release would help all thoose that have LoM:ed since the 5:th.
2. Faction belonging free of choise (before the transfer snapshot is made) would help all thoose who worked their arse off since 5:th to change faction.

Thoose 2 suggestions above might convince me (and a few others) to stay, but now we only get an "we are sorry". Have you ever heared "Sorry doesnt cut it".

The 2 suggestions above wont cost you any money FFS....

bluelights
27-09-04, 21:00
KK arnt going to replt to this thread, they dont know what to do

its a huge pile of crap now....... they are just hopeing that N2 will have better publicity and they cab capture new audience,, they dont care about the old faithful memebrs from DAY 1...............

i am still shocked and appalled at this........... in my business i would get shot for a stunt like this...... very sad very sad........

NC has gone downhill,,, seems like to big of a project to handle.

you have 1 unhappy customer here

br

ArgieD
27-09-04, 21:01
Please refer to the following points.

-) To the players: The fact that the Developer managed to compose such an apologetic post is really touching. No matter how upset we are at present (some more, some less) it is kinda our duty to make sure that we maintain a positive atmosphere. So I really hope that we will have another chance to prepare for a snapshot.

-) To the Developers: WHY on earth did you start with the Saturn Server? Not only it would have been the more challenging transfer to implement, but you now gave the excuse to non-german players to claim that your international clientbase were used as guinea pigs. I would have imagined that you would have picked the least busy server first.

-) To the Developers: Many players including my good self, decided to create another character in order to carry more stuff to nc2. Though, as ususally, people always tend to level like crazy at first and somehow, these sidekick characters have become somewhat good, not only to carry stuff, but to be used properly in nc2. Problem is that they were created after the 5th of September. Does it mean that they will disappear along with the main characters' stuff if the second snapshot option is selected?

-) Good luck to all :rolleyes:

LiL T
27-09-04, 21:02
the 5th backup is the most fairest I think as some people would be starting NC 2 with nothing if they used the 20th backup. This is what happens when people leave things to the last minute tbh people should not take things for granted things will go wrong at the worst possible times

Lord Black
27-09-04, 21:05
:confused: :( 8| :mad: :p :lol: :angel: NC 2 LETS ROCKE IT KK !!!!
Whats hell whitout a little fire :lol:

SyncError
27-09-04, 21:08
No, the best idea = Total wipe of all servers.

FFffuuccckk YOU and your ideas! :D

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 21:08
...This is what happens when people leave things to the last minute tbh people should not take things for granted things will go wrong at the worst possible times
What are you talking about. I dont understand when people make this claim. Are we susposed to get geared up a month before and not play anymore...

H

LiL T
27-09-04, 21:09
KK just press the big red shiney button and wipe the fucking lot :lol:

I would not care starting a fresh would you people care?

Ryman
27-09-04, 21:10
only way i would stay is if they run a virgin server ......... your call martin

Darken
27-09-04, 21:10
Fucking hell yes, i would care

Darkana
27-09-04, 21:11
I fear KK wants to force this problem to be solved before DoY goes retail. The damage is done, but forcing everyone into line now for whatever reason is a nice way to drive even more customers away. I really hope someone says "stop" to the current flow and makes up a real rescue plan which covers the majority of the players (picking the higher of a roughly 2:3 vote isn't really the majority IMO).

JustIn_Case
27-09-04, 21:11
the 5th backup is the most fairest I think as some people would be starting NC 2 with nothing if they used the 20th backup. This is what happens when people leave things to the last minute tbh people should not take things for granted things will go wrong at the worst possible times

Sure, but i wouldnt expect anything to happen 4 days before the snapshot FFS.
And it wouldnt been a problem if KK would have clicked the "VERIFY BACKUP AFTER JOB COMPLETION CHECKBOX" FFS. Every fucking backup software in the world has this option.

LiL T
27-09-04, 21:12
What are you talking about. I dont understand when people make this claim. Are we susposed to get geared up a month before and not play anymore...

H

Well I still played I just remebered to chuck my items in quick belt befor logging off

mdares
27-09-04, 21:12
rollin rollin rollin keep that server rollin rollin till it's back to the 5th >_<

o well better than nothin ya know. Thanks for the statement tho; the candor was very much appreciated.

forgot to ask is it already rolled back to the 5th?

mishkin
27-09-04, 21:17
Sure, but i wouldnt expect anything to happen 4 days before the snapshot FFS.
And it wouldnt been a problem if KK would have clicked the "VERIFY BACKUP AFTER JOB COMPLETION CHECKBOX" FFS. Every fucking backup software in the world has this option.

What are you on about then? They lost the backups due to a hardware failure. The backup from the 20th was a snapshot of the player-data, ie qb, armor, imps and skills... although, I agree, they fucked up by not backing up EVERY SINGLE DAY, which is like, common practice... :rolleyes:

-DM-
27-09-04, 21:17
Come on KK this is one major screw up. Offer both 5th backup (re-snapped asap) and the 20th snap in the transfer window, its the only way and you know it.

OTIS
27-09-04, 21:20
i lost my 4 slot termi...sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

KazuYa.
27-09-04, 21:21
the errorr is HUMAN MJS dont joke and i dotn mean about the hardware that got broken... thats normal thing.
I mean its fucking IMPOSSIBLE that KK have no backup from 5th to now.. thats means they never controlled them before the hardware got broken and thats an human error and stupid ones that a good company shouldnt make...

HoneyMonster
27-09-04, 21:26
I fear KK wants to force this problem to be solved before DoY goes retail. The damage is done, but forcing everyone into line now for whatever reason is a nice way to drive even more customers away. I really hope someone says "stop" to the current flow and makes up a real rescue plan which covers the majority of the players (picking the higher of a roughly 2:3 vote isn't really the majority IMO).

Well said !
KK sure seam to have there priorities wrong :(.

Rith
27-09-04, 21:26
I don't think it matters anymore, you've probably killed your launch of NC2.

Well done.

I can only hope you fired whoever was responsible for your operational processes / procedures.

OTIS
27-09-04, 21:28
i lost my 3 slot cs sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

JustIn_Case
27-09-04, 21:32
What are you on about then? They lost the backups due to a hardware failure. The backup from the 20th was a snapshot of the player-data, ie qb, armor, imps and skills... although, I agree, they fucked up by not backing up EVERY SINGLE DAY, which is like, common practice... :rolleyes:

What are you on about then?
Like this?
-recorded from KK tech.office-
-"Lets use the tape from the 26:th"
-"OK"
-"Fuck, the machine trashed the tape, lets try the one from the 25:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 24:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 23:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 22:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 21:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 20:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 19:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 18:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 17:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 16:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 15:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 14:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 13:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 12:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 11:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 10:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 09:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 08:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 07:th"
-"Fuck, it trashed to, lets use the one from the 06:th"
-"No wait....i think the backup hardware might be broken" <- Duh
-"OK; lets replace it"
-"Woot, now it worked...."

Dont think so...My guess is that they havent verified the backups and was hit by surprice that it was all crap.
So i repeat, if KK would have clicked the "VERIFY BACKUP AFTER JOB COMPLETION CHECKBOX" FFS

shodanjr_gr
27-09-04, 21:33
Although i am saddened to hear this (i believe it is really iresponsible on KKs half), i am really happy that i waited for the last minute to fix my chars (havent played for a month :) ). So i say go for Sept 5.

Selendor
27-09-04, 21:39
Well if it is the 5th September I'm currently in the middle of throwing 400 rare parts and 30 rare weapons for the hard up Saturn people :) Can't take it with me after all ;p

OTIS
27-09-04, 21:39
i lost my 4 slot exe....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Seven
27-09-04, 21:41
HOLGER.
Step in and do what's right please.
Put yourself in our shoes.

Thank you.

|R@zor|
27-09-04, 21:43
Im for the rollback to the 5th, but saying that either decision does'nt really affect me, my characters have been set up for a few weeks due to me not being able to play much lately.

DigestiveBiscui
CAN U GIVE US AN ANSWER KK???

5th or 20th

not hard now is it?

LexiconAlpha
This thread is getting more heated i see since page 1 :(

I think it would be nice for another 'official' response answering some people questions here. Saturn makes up a very large proportion of your 'bread and butter' customers and as disappointed as you may be that this has happened, it may be a good idea to remember who pay for these 'incidents'. We are paying for this problem...!

Do we have any other alternatives???

pissed
27-09-04, 21:44
hmm oki since the rollback my DS is gone thx alot

DigestiveBiscui
Also KK

i have already sorted my chars - so if the 5th does go ahead will i have to do it again or not??? (beaing in mind - i sorted my chars out today, just incase they do rollback to the 5th :))

OTIS
i lost all the lvls on my pistol spy... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Egeon
27-09-04, 21:46
And KK lost no word about any compensation :lol:
That would be the single "fair" action.

Ok, you lost your stuff to an accident. We give it back to you... but noooo :mad:

Spermy
27-09-04, 21:46
CAN U GIVE US AN ANSWER KK???

5th or 20th

not hard now is it?

Well, dude - it's a vote - you guys decide - there won't be an answer until a large sum of people have voted to make sure it's fair. If you've voted your going to have to wait till the poll closes.

Carinth
27-09-04, 21:48
Ohno, the 5th's are pulling out ahead, must go recruit more people to vote for 20th!!!!!

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 21:48
Well, dude - it's a vote - you guys decide - there won't be an answer until a large sum of people have voted to make sure it's fair. If you've voted your going to have to wait till the poll closes.

643 people

thats like, double KK's player base

so yea - thats abot all your going to get KK

Darken
27-09-04, 21:50
well, i think their going for 5th.

They cant go like omg the 20th!!

and then everyone says, YOU CANT EVEN FUCKING COUNT VOTES !!!!

and bitchin goes ahead

FatDogg
27-09-04, 21:50
I remember an old game I played, another mmorpg, when the servers went down for an extra hour beyond what they were supposed to be we all got 2x xp for a week and 3x gold drops for 2 weeks. Not that it matters since KK devs probly won't read this far and nobody really cares...

boombang
27-09-04, 21:55
I'd prefer a game where we were refunded for downtime, especially if extensive - or in fact one which backed up really often, and didn't crash.

Its not likely I am going to get one though is it?

Tostino
27-09-04, 21:57
Oh if anyone wants to give me some spells it would be greatly appreciated ;)
If you have any holy shelters reg shelters reg heals and holy heals PLEASE give em to me :) I hope i can get my internet up before i get fucked in the ass over and over again...

jerrymaguire
27-09-04, 22:00
In the time Saturn has been up after the "unfortunate incident", I have tried to make the most of a VERY BAD situation. I have managed my 4 chars inventories and quickbelts as best as I can. Now there is 2 things I need to know...

1. Will anything that happened in the hours after saturn came back up stay, or will it be wiped???

2. If the server is rollbacked to sept 5th, when will it happen, and how long will we get to "fix" our chars???

One other thing.. since this poll has been merged with the one posted earlier, I have to point out I have been able to vote twice on the poll. Once when it first went up, and just there now.

You will get wrong numbers when the voting is closed.

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 22:02
2. If the server is rollbacked to sept 5th, when will it happen, and how long will we get to "fix" our chars???

thats what i want to know

i've sorted mine, but will i have to do it again

evs
27-09-04, 22:04
thats what i want to know

i've sorted mine, but will i have to do it again

I can't as mine havent 'existed' yet

plague
27-09-04, 22:07
Oh if anyone wants to give me some spells it would be greatly appreciated ;)

heh, id give ya bunch, but since we all going back to sept 5th about 30 4-5 sloted holy spels r gone not counting thousands and thousand built to achive those slots.........

OTIS
27-09-04, 22:11
WTF MY SPY HAS NO LVLS OR WEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 22:11
Nid Made me move it here but i dont want this to be burried in all this....

I apologize for the font size but i think this is important:

I just logged and found all my characters in sectors where they were when my account expired a few months ago.

Here from my other thread:

I re-activated on Aug 19th (KK you can check this for fact)

Immediately upon re-activation i move all my characters back to my clan apt to start gearing up and then proceeded to build/lvl/trade...etc...

So why are my characters where they were pre Aug 19th when i log now? I really dont thin the servers were backed up from teh 5th of september!

Anyone have anything like this they know for Sure?

Cause i am sure i knew where my characters were and at what dates.

H

Vryce
27-09-04, 22:13
[QUOTE=Martin J. Schwiezer](Deutsche Version folgt in wenigen Minuten!)

......... But complaining about it is like beating a dead horse with a stick. :( [QUOTE]

"No horse is so dead that it can't be continually flogged" said some Wise Guy. :p

Anyway, thanks for the info Martin; we'll manage to get on with our lives, despite the perceived losses.

Spermy
27-09-04, 22:14
WTF MY SPY HAS NO LVLS OR WEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I thought you were playing swg? O_o

LexiconAlpha
27-09-04, 22:14
Best idea so far is merging the snapshot with the backup (it *HAS* happened before on Saturn)

Has it? Tell me more..and why is this not a viable option this time?

Kreb Slyvian
27-09-04, 22:19
So what is running on Saturn right now? The Sep 5 backup?

Kreb

LiL T
27-09-04, 22:19

Because the backup from the 20th is only our characters and what there carrying no world data like what we have in our gogo or appy cabs are stored on it. So if there put that backup onto the NC1 servers it would wipe out what we have stored in gogo or appys I guess its a kind of no can do :(

BaDDaSS
27-09-04, 22:20
I thought you were playing swg? O_o

ROFLMAO tbh. So true.

Spermy
27-09-04, 22:22
ROFLMAO tbh. So true.

I'd like to have those abbreviations stricken from the record, on account of the suck balls. With a capital LAME.

trigger hurt
Ingame Support is not handled on the forums.

If you have already submitted an Ingame Support ticket for this, then please be patient as I'm sure the GM team is very busy handling several concerns on Saturn right now.

What concerns do they have to handle? The screw up has already taken place.

So, if I submit a Ingame Suppor ticket, will a GM spawn my DS and all my rare spells that I lost when my char was deleted because you can't figure out how to verify data integrity.

And...now I am supposed to take a backup from the 5th, which will completly delete the char or I can take the backup for the 20th which noone wants to do.

Thanks alot kk.

naimex

because half the snapshot is damaged... (the 20th september one that is... )

they said so themselves in some part of a thread.. that the snapshot had been damaged so it could only successfully bemoved to an nc2 server, otherwise the structure of it might get even more fucked up if put on the nc1 server again, because its b0rked.

plague
27-09-04, 22:24
Unfortunately there is no way to satisfy both sides
heh, it seems to me that tere is only one side.....ppl who r pissed about their loss and kk incompetence and this solution will not satisfy them....kk say they can't do anything about it well at least they could reset skills to sept 20 image after rolling evrything to sep5 backup or is that too much trouble?

we decided to keep all servers online so you can still have some fun
.......blah edited it, why bother?

edit: well dont matter either way, just waiting to c me chars with 27 - 50 mill point to cap again and no spells/weapons and after its over.

Deckard Cain
27-09-04, 22:25
Please lets roll back to sept 5th (my saturn chars are bound to just have a load of boosters on them on sept 20th :( )

Never usually post - this is just too important.

If we do roll back to sept 5th, when will this happen???????? :confused:

edit - thanks :lol:

DigestiveBiscui
27-09-04, 22:26
Please lets roll back to sept 5th (my saturn chars are bound to just have a load of boosters on them on sept 20th :( )

Never usually post - this is just too important.

If we do roll back to sept 5th, when will this happen???????? :confused:

well the poll fniished at 11am CEST....so sometime after that :p

naimex
27-09-04, 22:26
To allow all of you to vote, we will let the poll run until tomorrow morning 11 AM (CEST). The poll result at that time will determine which way we will go, as it is the opinion of the majority. Unfortunately there is no way to satisfy both sides .

from here http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=113489

Agent FunHead
27-09-04, 22:27
But complaining about it is like beating a dead horse with a stick.

what? fun?

mishkin
27-09-04, 22:32
To allow all of you to vote, we will let the poll run until tomorrow morning 11 AM (CEST). The poll result at that time will determine which way we will go, as it is the opinion of the majority. Unfortunately there is no way to satisfy both sides .

It's bullshit, is what it is... a large number of the playerbase don't know there is a forum, and the ones voting are all lazy mofos who've sat around for the last months spamming the forum and NOT getting ready for a transfer.... Do a total wipe, and start everything from scratch, it's still doable yaknow... NO SPECIAL TREATMENT!

kratoc
27-09-04, 22:34
i know many wanna have the rollback ...

but ... if i look at the stats of my clan its just not fair. one out of my clan got _NOTHING_ . im not talkin about items or such things ... all his chars are gone. he played all the time for nothing. he paid for a month and was levelin at least 2 out of his 4 chars to max, 1 is at his mid-lvl and the last one ... well its just created.

now he is supposed to do the work of nearly 3 weeks in about 1 day ? u must be kiddin

me personally, i hope that the snapshot-option will win. i will loose much of my transfer-items, but at least these persons played just the last 2-3 weeks would have all their chars back (even if they arent made ready for equip).

thank you for your attention :)

Peeping Tom
27-09-04, 22:37
Great Job KK..... mebby time to get a job at mc Donalds ? oh wait ye would screw that up to..

dont think the poll matter for most of us.. we ARE screwed either way

K4F

Selendor
27-09-04, 22:41
300 Rare Parts and 100 Built / Slotted Rares just deposited into the Saturn Populace.....2 years of City Admin graft...continuing now (if the game will stop syncing) ;)

ZyproN
27-09-04, 22:43
KK This time you realy fucket it up. Its so sad to see all my mates leaving and its not helping to stay here I hope that you learn something out of it.

NeoChick
27-09-04, 22:45
I purchased two extra accounts and levelled chars to hold my crap.
I have one char I brought from Lvl 5 to Level 44
I constructed rares into chips, wheeled and dealed to get the parts

I wish you would give me back my money for the two extra accounts I bought because that was a useless exercise
No way I am going to throw good money after bad.
I'd rather kill myself than run out and get four copies of DOY

There are other games in this world. I am not going to take the chance to purchase four copies of the game to find out tht perhaps the 'hardware problem' came back and none of my crap is in my chars any longer.

Forget it.......my patience is over.......have a good day

NS_CHROME54
27-09-04, 22:45
well that's a real pisser.

i think some kind of compensation is in order, it would only be proper.

Ryman
27-09-04, 22:46
the be all and end all is >>>>>>>

IF saturn was a german server KK would do a lot more to put things right .

Fact.......

and they could do more if they wanted to

hudsonbeck
27-09-04, 22:47
Just give me one item of choice per character and i will be "ok" with things and continue my subscription...

oh and a skill reset cause i can not stomache loMing again for two weeks.

PLEASE

H

GIJ0e
27-09-04, 22:50
fortunately i aint played saturn for months so not majorly bothered, all my dudes are at a level they would be now anyway, maybe QB not sorted but wtf. i feel sorry for all the peeps that have spent lots of time sorting out their dudes only to have this happen.

the thing is, questions NEED to be answered, what was this freakish sequence of events? it would have to be truly freakish indeed to affect a DECENT back up routine, i.e your server room got struck by lightning and burned down at the same time a monkey rubbed banana into all the backup tapes. (i've had smoking UPS's after power downs / power cuts [shit ups's lol) in my ER and it didnt affect the backups one jot)

you see if you dont tell us what went wrong, we all think " so whats to stop it happening next week or the week after, so whats the point in me bothering to level or play"

you really fucked the p00ch on this one KK, i suspected NC2 would be a clusterfuck, now i am pretty sure it will be. i know 3 genuine new players me and evs got to play the game who have lost characters they were levelling for DoY on saturn. lets just say they arent happy. two fucking years and still the same tired old shit.

Rieke
27-09-04, 22:52

Fact.......

Thats not true ... i am a german woman with 20 chars at saturn and in the german forum are a lot of anti-kk threads and we all are pissed off a lot and we heared about a lot of german people canning kk at phone today to tell them how much they are pissed off and a lot of germans give away there stuff to close the accounts now .. .. there is no difference between the servers ...

You can say alot of bad things about kk , but u cant say theres a difference beteen the servers/support ..

-Demon-
27-09-04, 22:53

Fact.......

Oh here we go. I know you pissed and all but didn't you quit already?

Also by the sounds of things they have done all they can, these things happen to backups...also KK probably don't directly deal with backups anyway and level3 do.

Being german will not help a hardware failure and then the restore and by the sounds of it, it sounds pretty bad.

Probably lucky to get a choice in the matter and not just a simple rollback. Yes its a pain and I got shit etc that I need to do on saturn...I need to relom which dunno if i can do in time anyway and simply sort spells out again as I can't remember if 5th will cover the stuff i got.

Disturbed021
27-09-04, 22:57
I think you guys at kk should try a little bit harder to fix this fuckup.

1. NPC added that will allow whoever wants to change factions to change factions. Many ppl have spent several days to get into another faction just to get that work erased. Either now or in NC2 for like a week.

2. You should have a skill point release, either now or with the first patch of NC2. I personally spent 3 days loming my hc tank to mc on Saturn cause I have a hc tank on Pluto I'm bringing and don't need 2 hc tanks. I can only imagine the pain other ppl who have more than 1 char that they lomed.

3. You guys should give each char 2 snapshots that they could choose to transfer from; one from 9/20 and another on 9/28. Obviously it looks like Saturn atm was rolled back to 9/5 and some ppl want to get those chars setup now and transfer those. Some ppl had their chars setup on 9/20 or don't want to loose the exp they got between 9/5 - 9/20.

This was your fuckup! Either way most ppl lose something. Only reasonable fix would be to let ppl setup their 9/5 rolled back chars and take a snapshot tomorrow pm. Then on the char transfer screen show 9/20 snapshot and 9/28 snapshot. Choose one. Makes both sides happy.
If it will take you a couple of days to get that worked out through the transfer tool, then delay NC2 retail for a couple of days.

But ffs, dont ask us which way we wanna be fucked cause neither option is great.

Argent
27-09-04, 22:59
I'd like a clarification on why did the daily backups get damaged? The backup from the 5th day seems to be backup of a backup, so what on earth caused the loss of the real daily backups AND the current game data at the same time and render them both unusable?

--------------------------

I reactivated yesterday.

And now I'm very close to cancelling today. This depends on the final backup decision.

This whole situation would be simple if it considered just me, just use the DB from 5th and it would be all right. Using the backup from 20th day would be the direct opposite.

But the situation is not that simple, this conserns the whole population of the server.

Good friend of mine and me have been leveling few chars to use/transfer imps and items to NC2, but all that leveling will be lost if they use the backup from 5th day. Also his main char would lose a ton of important exp (Monk capped int anyone?) and for example multiple MC5 chips among other items and exp on other chars. On the other hand, if they used the backup from 20th, he'd lose majority of his important items because the chars had odd items on them to test the char-transfer.

Lose-lose situation. Not just for us, but for the whole Saturn.

Using just one of of the old backups is not the solution.

Using a mixture of both of them is, and it's the only reasonable solution I can think off.

Character stats data - From the 20th backup
Item data - From both of the backups, 20th & 5th.

This would result in smallest possible exp/item loss. But yes, it would lead to duplicate items, yet that would be only compensation for the rest of the exp & stuff people lost (5 days can be pretty long time when you think about it).

By now you're thinking : "WTF? Why should you saturnians be allowed to get multiples of your items?!"

Well why should we saturnians be forced to lose stuff/exp while other people from the other servers are allowed to keep them? Think it the other way around : Would you rather lose a big bunch of your items & exp while others get to keep it all? Also note that this would only be the situation before the final char transfer, we can still take only limited amout of items with us.

This situation wasn't caused by the players, thus we should not be punished for it.

naimex
27-09-04, 23:01
getting multiples of items wont help you anyways.. since you can only take 10 in total with you...

So I donīt mind....

StrongSad
27-09-04, 23:05
[ edited ]

[ edited ]

Oh, PS. We need to help swing the undecideds to Sept.5th rollback!!! They hold the power!!!

GIJ0e
27-09-04, 23:08
[ edited ]

cool, if only you can find someone to use them on. that "a-hole" is but one of few leaving. and they are also "weeding out" the people who have worked very hard on getting the items they want / need.

do try thinking before you post.

LiL T
27-09-04, 23:08
Why can't they just like move the back up from the 20th to NC2 then take the items from whats in the 5th backup and have them placed in our gogo's . would that work :\

bling
27-09-04, 23:11
Rollback to Sept 5 and make a new snapshot on Tuesday/Wednesday .

Alles andere w#r unfair, da ich z.B. nix vorbereitet habe.

Das heisst keine wichtigen sachen im Quick belt aller meiner Chars /bzw nicht alle implantate drinnen.

Hab heute alles fertig machen wollen, da aufgrund von Downtime garnixmehr zu machen war. :wtf:

LiL T
27-09-04, 23:12
EDIT self

solling
27-09-04, 23:13
Bye a-hole. This is actually good in a few ways. KK is weeding out all the whining, e-thug, "I have nothing better to do than farm rares and horde them" people. AND I get back my 2 thunder bolts and DG which I lost pvping after sept 5th

well as much as the roolback this does suck and i can imagine and understand why peops are pissed i gotta agree with ya somewhat

it is nice to root out the spammers and morons that frequent the server
and peops who can get so upset over a game on the forums are most likely gonna be the same way in-game

just hope we dont loose any *good guys* in the process

mishkin
27-09-04, 23:15
Only real way is a total wipe, and the destruction of all backups of any data from the days of NC1 ;)

zii
27-09-04, 23:19
I voted for the 20th snapshot.

The roll-back of the 5th will mean I loose a lot of items, which I spent a lot of time trading for. Nor have I the time to do it all over again.

MrChumble
27-09-04, 23:19
people have lost whole characters :wtf:
Yeah but lets be honest, how long does it take to get a char to combat/good tradeskill level if you know what you're doing? A week? Two at most, even with the handicap of no money in NC2.

Yeah, it's a bummer for the people who lost chars, but anyone who's made a char this close to NC2 isn't going to have items etc that they desperately need to take with them, so all they've lost is they're play time which they (presumably) enjoyed, and now get to do again.

I'm sure there will be experienced players to help them if they're genuine noobs, and if they're mule alts to carry stuff just recreate them, then no harm done at all really.

Mind you I'm a bit biased. I geniunely feel sorry for the noobs...but the mules...welcome to the world of pluto, the world of 10 items not 40, the world of extra accounts forced into redundency, the world where getting shafted by KK is just the business as usual. Sorry Saturners, I feel your pain, but ours is worse :p

Shame
27-09-04, 23:21
so everyone who did cross server trades now is screwed

this proving saturn is the crappiest server ever

way to mess up yet one more last thing before doy
and from the past we all know what to expect with that thx alot kk

your very good at taking the fun out of everything

LiL T
27-09-04, 23:22
I voted the 5th thinking it would be better for the community
(Basicly the people who did not setup there chars)

Now why the fuck did they not do as many other people did >.< put there items in there quick belts befor log off !! and there we have it people are losing whole chars becuase of a few. TBH KK should go fuck it and use the 20th backup who the fuck needs 20 MC5 chips and 30 rare weapons o_O

StrongSad forget what said I kind of agree

trigger hurt
27-09-04, 23:28
Well I still played I just remebered to chuck my items in quick belt befor logging off
You know. My char had all his items in his quick belt. And whever he went when he got deleted because they dont know how to verify a backup, he still has all his items in his quickbelt...so this line of thought doesnt hold any water.

borlegan
27-09-04, 23:29
If sept 20 data will be used, there is a way to know the status of the chars/items on that day ?. I dont make an schedule on my NC agenda to manage all items and stats and I would like to know how my chars set up are... because Im not sure about moving to NC

And KK... I have to say that there are two words called
REDUNDANCY AND BACK UP !!!!!!!!, believe me... I work with servers.

I dont like to see you crying and worried about that, believe me, I dont like it, but its not a serious way to manage a server... or do you think there is someone at Oracle telling a customer that he lost the data of his db ?

Guys... dont like this, I just tried to sit down and relax, having a good time with my favourite game, now Im thinking about leaving, because I wont spent a dime if I dont know what will be the status of my chars on NC2. Ive spent last days capping some skills and dont want to start again.

Thx for reading.

LiL T
27-09-04, 23:32
rollback to the 5th = people losing characters plus items

use the 20th = people having there characters but may not be setup

Its a fucking tough choice :( lose lose either way

/Edit I'm just glad I'm now setup either way but I feel fucking really sorry for the people that will get fucked over in this one

StrongSad
27-09-04, 23:38
Edited for speaking the truth.

I dont get why everyone is whining? Sh!t happens so deal with it. KK and everyone else doesnt care if your mad and leaving because you built 999 SAs and bought 30 accounts. Or capped 20 chars on saturn. THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO SO DEAL WITH IT AND START THINKING ABOUT WHAT TO DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!

Its impossible to read these threads because they are 90% whine.

Anyway. Will saturn go down with the other servers on wednesday?

Bl$st3r
27-09-04, 23:42
C) Quit neocron

Hey man I appreciate you personally explaining what's happened, I know mistakes are made its part of learning but what I don't understand is how those would be the only backup saves? Both choices A+B present me with loss of all my rares and all my characters are at highest >>> because of this and before I had a ** and 2 *'s. The DoY beta snapshot isnt much better because although this would restore one of my *s it would not restore the massive amount of things I have recently acquired. I loved neocron, I played it since beta 4 on and off and It was one of the best games I've ever played but I have to say that I expected more from NC2 and this wasnt it...

To everyone else, don't quit, these guys did make a great game and you can possibly expect more good things from them in the future. I just cannot continue under these conditions. Also , if you worked hard for everything only to have it erased as If it never happened I think you would be a bit pissed, there is no whining about it, we arent like WAAAAH KK im f*x0r3d!! Its more like OMG, NOOOOOOOO! Goodbye friends

borlegan
27-09-04, 23:46
Whining ? SHUT UP !
After many years of nerfs, fails and lacks I have not said a word about it.
Now I have the right to speak about it because I paid for a service that I have not received.
But I agree with you on one thing, they dont care...

Anyway I would like to be a bit constructive... maybe its my fault that I dont receive any email, but can KK send us an email to inform us about any change like all other companies over the Net do ?

I would like to receive any official communication and not manage all the info on a forum.

Have to say one more thing...
NC COMMUNITY IS THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVER MEET.

mishkin
27-09-04, 23:49
I would like to receive any official communication and not manage all the info on a forum.

Agreed... It's kinda hard to keep someone informed through a media they don't even know exists. I suggest someone sends a mail to kk describing how to set up a hotmail account, since they clearly can't afford to have their own mail-server...

Seven
A) Go back to the 5th of September and have the opportunity to manage your assets before you go to NC2.
OR
B) Keep the status from the 20th of September, which does not give you the oportunity to manage your assets before the transfer.

Did they decide?

Forgive me if they did, I can't find it.

Thanks..

NS_CHROME54
glad i didn't lose anything.

mishkin
27-09-04, 23:51
Poll's still going, and by the looks of it, the people with multiple inactive accounts that hang around the forums on multiple accounts have taken the lead :D

I still think a wipe is the only fair choice...

fokusu
27-09-04, 23:51
Both alternatives are equally bad. Let us choose for our own characters...

To make it less bad, skill release and free faction change.

I really like Neocron, been playing since first day of beta 4 and I've been paying for two accounts for two years. But I rather quit than put up with 2 weeks of lomming just to get back to were my chars were the night before the crash. And now it would take even longer since I won't have enough cash in NC2.

NS_CHROME54
27-09-04, 23:53
no matter how hard i try, I can't seem to find a german translation for the word "support"

plague
27-09-04, 23:57
no matter how hard i try, I can't seem to find a german translation for the word "support"

haha, thats cuz there is no such word in german as support...haven't u noticed it yet? lol

borlegan
28-09-04, 00:01
Does anyone knows when the decision will be taken ?

nugz420
28-09-04, 00:04
Does anyone knows when the decision will be taken ?

check this thread http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=113489

Seven
28-09-04, 00:09
11 AM (CEST) is what in New York?

-Demon-
28-09-04, 00:16

cba to work it out for you...use google o_O

LiL T
28-09-04, 00:18

Or use the the clock on your comp doubble click it and select the german time zone which is 1+ hour GMT ?

Edit about -6 hours ?

Sorin
28-09-04, 00:19
This should help. (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/) A bit.

[TgR]HusK
28-09-04, 00:28
There we go again...
Good thing I choose another server to build my new chars :p

In all serieusness, its pretty fuckedup, but you said that yourselve. Its good to see a reply like this, even though its hardly profesional, its far more suiting with this community.

I do hope your backup policys will increase, not sure what you got running, but a dayly 100% database to tape backup should already offer enough options to roll back just a day ago or so.
Simply put them server offline for half an hour each day to do those backups... whats in an half hour anyway?
It looks like your mostly just relying on mirrored discs atm... as I can't see another reason why else the data is from so long ago.
The 20 sept backup then is just the backup used to transfer chars to neocron beta... so the last full external backup you guys made was 5 sept?
Thats a very very long time ago for an external backup... or did you guys had a fire in the safe to? :p
Looking at it profesionaly, if I lost this much data on my work I would pretty much be a dead man... Serieusly.

Anyway I accept the appologys as they where sincere.

Though if I had chars on saturn that I needed so very much, I might not be so forgiving...:/

Satocastix
28-09-04, 00:32
I quit.

Sorin
28-09-04, 00:34
HusK']
I do hope your backup policys will increase, not sure what you got running, but a dayly 100% database to tape backup should already offer enough options to roll back just a day ago or so.
Simply put them server offline for half an hour each day to do those backups... whats in an half hour anyway?

I would be more than ok with this. If I had to suffer 1/2 hour or less downtime everyday so that full, verified, backups of everything (including backups of the backups :lol: ) could be made to ensure that the worse rollback possible would only be a day, it would be worth it.

Sakletare
28-09-04, 00:37
The problem is that both the options in the poll are the two easy ways out of the problem for Reakktor. If they really want to find the best possible solution for this huge blunder they should all put on their helpdesk hats and start sorting the accounts out, one by one, to rescue as much as possible from backups.
Sure it would take time and manpower and that would hurt economicly, it stings a bit to fuck up.

And how does Reakktor intend to compensate us for their inabilty to create a single usable backup in three weeks?

Edit:
Carbonite sums up everything in this thread very nicely in his signature: you did it, you fix it...

jernau
28-09-04, 00:37
And just hoped KK did the backup while you were offline? :wtf:

@All the muppets asking for a total wipe - go check out the numerous polls where the majority made their opinions clear on that particular brand of dumb.

NeoChick
28-09-04, 00:40
All good and well with Murphy's Law

Except Murphy's Law seems to be concentrating on KK. This is not the first time a big roll back has stuffed us up severely.

Oh well, good thing is knowing that Murphy's law always seems to hit KK, I will be fairly safe playing ANYTHING else!

jernau
28-09-04, 00:42
a lot of german people canning kk at phone today to tell them how much they are pissed off
If that means what I think it does (no offence meant - your English> my German) then that's the best thing I've read here so far. Warm their ears a bit for those of us that can't do it in their native tongue will you :).

borlegan
28-09-04, 00:43
I have decided something... I wont play this game if the day 5 back up is choosen.

I have discovered that MANY items as important chips and rares have disappeared from my chars and have been changed by beer and other shits.

Is this db corrupted or just a normal day on KK life ?

Satocastix
28-09-04, 00:46
I cannot bear to watch the poll. I almost feel sick watching you people pick the 5th instead of the 20th. While you're busy not getting every last rare item you can into your belt, I'm busy staring at my 0/3 character.

You're all a bunch of greedy bastards. I hope you all die. After two years, I quit on the Neocron community. May you now all take turns sucking my dick.

DigestiveBiscui
28-09-04, 00:48
You're all a bunch of greedy bastards. I hope you all die. After two years, I quit on the Neocron community. May you now all take turns sucking my dick.

and calling u a cunt, and telling u to fuck off

Satocastix
28-09-04, 00:50
Learn to type, asshole. Piss on this shit.

borlegan
28-09-04, 00:50
Guys... relax, please...

Egeon
28-09-04, 00:52
HusK']Anyway I accept the appologys as they where sincere.

They ARE sincere. But still I lost a lot of time&items and just with and excuse like may it be the most sincere thing in the world that doesn't compensate my loss.

Just imagine that such an error would be in a company and their billing DB would be fubared roflcopter

Seven
28-09-04, 00:56
cba to work it out for you...use google o_O

Yeah I know, just so fucking depressed right now.

Can't help but think KK is full of shit about all this and is just trying to get out of it as easy as possible as usual.

I mean WTF, last good backup almost a month ago?
Says a lot for what we have to look foward too as far as a "persistant universe" in NC2.

You guys (people running KK) are something else man.

Seven
28-09-04, 00:57
Guys... relax, please...

Why, you have a backup of our stuff?

DigestiveBiscui
28-09-04, 01:02
Why, you have a backup of our stuff?
lol

funniest thing i've seen here today :)

plague
28-09-04, 01:14
^ lol what he said.
|
|

borlegan
28-09-04, 01:14
Seven, I think that you are a bit slow... I will explain it to you.

I asked them to relax because insults on the community wont help any of us.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND SEVEN ?... IM TRYING TO BE POLITE, DONT MAKE ME EXPLAIN IT IN OTHER TERMS, YOU HAVE NOT CHOOSE THE RIGHT DAY, KID

[TgR]HusK
28-09-04, 01:17
They ARE sincere. But still I lost a lot of time&items and just with and excuse like may it be the most sincere thing in the world that doesn't compensate my loss.

Just imagine that such an error would be in a company and their billing DB would be fubared roflcopter
as I said:

HusK']~~~
Looking at it profesionaly, if I lost this much data on my work I would pretty much be a dead man... Serieusly.

Anyway I accept the appologys as they where sincere.

Though if I had chars on saturn that I needed so very much, I might not be so forgiving...:/
:p

And guys... you are pissed, but keep the honor to yourselve and keep your head cool, if you quit, tell us in a more appropiate way instead of all this swearing, its not doing any good, and I doubt its relieving you at all :p

And in addition to reakktor:
it takes a shitload of time to sort out every fragment for every player, but how about, letting people choose for themselves which backup to take?
the 20 sept backup is working for nc2... that means only the belt+imps+armour is av in those backups, its not that hard to convert that back to the old database, since you already have a tool to do it the other way around.
I know its possible to do a different back per player as you did it for me months ago :p

In all serieusness... you burned yourselves, you appologiced, appology accepted... and now its unfortunatly also your job to come up with a sollution thats best for both you and the customer at this time.
That means you REALY have to put in some extra time AND unfortunatly delay neocron 2 because of it.
Thats not something you can choose to do, thats something that you ow to your customer, as wherever you go, the customer is unfortunatly still king:p no matter what line of work you are in ;)

Coid
28-09-04, 01:22
Im glad i play on uranus ;) anyhow do u (KK) plan to somehow compensate the saturn players?

Ghanima
28-09-04, 01:24
Is there anyway for you (KK) to split the difference? People how want the role back get it and the people who don't, don't.
The problem I face with the role back is I spent the early part of September trading for the odds and ends that I needed, and although I get screwed by not having the chance to set up for a final time, I get even more screwed with a role back.
I don't have the time to get to my computer or the energy to deal with the mad amount of trading people will be doing to get the few items I already have lined up and ready to go.
The only other thing I could see that would help is to allow people more time (at least over a weeekend) to get there affairs in order.

Well after all that I ended up online tonight after all. I managed to get all the trades I wanted/needed finished and I have all my "life" back in order. So I would now opt for the second option of the new snapshot. So if you can switch my vote that would be fine.

djskum
28-09-04, 01:28
So if we go to a 5th of sept rollback, will it actually be rolled back again? The status of the server *is* rolled back right now. Gonna do it again? Or if the 5th Sept is taken, will u snapshot the server tomorrow evening or smthg (24 hrs notice ATLEAST pls).

All these questions, no answers...

Oh and half my clan have quit, half the fucking saturn server has quit! I'm thankfull that we have player built resources that allow us to stay in contact! But u fucked us proper with your "head in the sand" attitude to your clients data. I think we should get an SLA with NC2. I want to know what ur backup plans are, I want to know how *safe* my *data* is. Do you have a disaster recovery plan? If so publish it! U need the players to trust you again KK...

DjSKum

[TgR]HusK
28-09-04, 01:32
@djskum

Best idea yet... lets make it all a bit more professional.
Put everything in an clear and extensive SLA.

evs
28-09-04, 01:37
So according to the poll - 283 have lost out and are losing their characters / items/ time and experience then.

Wow that's an awful lot of accounts and money reakktor/10tacel won't be seeing for Neocron2......

borlegan
28-09-04, 01:44
A scandal !

I recommend you to check mmorpg.com and see the lastest news, where appear the db failure
What should a new potential player about joining a game like this :(

plague
28-09-04, 01:56
A scandal !

I recommend you to check mmorpg.com and see the lastest news, where appear the db failure
What should a new potential player about joining a game like this :(

ouch, just read that........seems like this is THE END.

Seven
28-09-04, 02:07
Seven, I think that you are a bit slow... I will explain it to you.

I asked them to relax because insults on the community wont help any of us.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND SEVEN ?... IM TRYING TO BE POLITE, DONT MAKE ME EXPLAIN IT IN OTHER TERMS, YOU HAVE NOT CHOOSE THE RIGHT DAY, KID

Actually it is you who is a bit slow, my reply was what is called sarcasm.

Unless you have something to offer to calm us down than please don't tell us to calm down.
As far as me being a kid, again you're a bit slow.
And yeah, THIS is the wrong day to fuck with me, so don't. ;)

borlegan
28-09-04, 02:56
Seven.... you dont deserve the time to tell you how silly you are.
If you dont want to relax, you can jump over the window and meet the floor with a big kiss.

How do you ask in this situation what do I have to offer ?... kid, again... you are slow or just you are too shocked to use your brain. If you are right, tell us what do you offer us ?

I typed relax to avoid this kind of posts... so dont mess with me today KID

Dan Szeen
28-09-04, 03:04
I want a month of free game time.

I put a lot of effort into levelling 2 characters since the 5th.

You can not just roll us all back and not get away with it without giving us compensation for it.

Weaponizer
28-09-04, 03:04
Hey everyone !!

Please read my solutions to this major cockup. If you have better solutions please post them there too..

Clickety click !!!
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=113542

:D :D :D :angel: :) ;)