PDA

View Full Version : second life MMORPG

nobby
26-09-04, 22:10
i think this looks quite neat...thing is....sign up page seems a bit poo poo, aint working for me!
try it, anyone have any problems, ask me

www.secondlife.com

TheDuckMan
26-09-04, 22:13
Are those prices for owning an island for real? Thats some crazy ass shit

nobby
26-09-04, 22:15
hhe...well forget about that but see if u can creat a 7 day trial account.....mine has bloody probs.....it says i did something wrong....but doesnt say where. o_O

TheDuckMan
26-09-04, 22:17
ya i tried... i gotta enter in credit card info... and seeing im only 16... well that makes it a bit difficult... now i gotta go look for mommy's purse

Satocastix
26-09-04, 22:32
I played Second Life for a few months, until I got banned for being underage. I'm sixteen fucking years old!

I was actually quite adept at making guns. I was also very good at griefing. I have to thank Second Life for one thing, it inspired me to take up 3D modelling. Now, I'm modelling weapons and objects for a mod for HL2. Even if SL taught me just prim modelling, it was just enough.

If anyone remembers me, my name was Victor Lorentz. I'm working on coming back very soon, but good luck finding me. They banned me by my MAC address, but it was easy to find a way around. :cool:

nobby
26-09-04, 22:48
lol, hows the money to get...easy or hard?

nobby
26-09-04, 22:52
and did u have to pay per month to create stuff?
or is that for cirtain objects?

Shadowbreed
26-09-04, 23:10
Tried it a while back
Have to say the graphics suck bigtime, otherwise it's a nice concept just not something i wanna pay for

Prankster26193
26-09-04, 23:13
I played Second Life for a few months, until I got banned for being underage. I'm sixteen fucking years old!

Yes, but you were 14 when you were banned :angel:

Coid
26-09-04, 23:39
ive played it the games so retarded...its like a java based game...the gfx stink!

Richard Slade
26-09-04, 23:54
1) The game is slow and waaay to sandbox for my taste
2) I REALLY dislike the ingamebucks = RL bucks... Making money in games isn't something I support
3) Don't you think recommending other games in a specific game forum is.. wrong?

Prankster26193
27-09-04, 00:27
ive played it the games so retarded...its like a java based game...the gfx stink!

You havent seen the new graphics engine

Its written completely in C++

The game has everything streaming directly to your computer, nothing except the engine is downloaded to your computer.

Satocastix
27-09-04, 04:14
Yes, but you were 14 when you were banned :angel:

And may I ask who you are?

Prankster26193
27-09-04, 04:34
nope :angel:

rubaduckythug
27-09-04, 04:39
thas some wird ass shit. next thing ya know we wont even be getting up and driving to work, will jsut get up poor our selves a cup of coffee and and log onto second life. and do all our shopping from there to, food will be broguht to us instead of us going to get it... this game is kinda scary :p

Prankster26193
27-09-04, 05:09
Ruba, you just described the internet :)

naimex
27-09-04, 08:33
i think this looks quite neat...thing is....sign up page seems a bit poo poo, aint working for me!
try it, anyone have any problems, ask me

www.secondlife.com

I´m playing it... got a nice little demon in there ;)

Naimex Solvang

part of the Paradise Island group..

well I have construction permissions there anyways until i can afford to buy a piece of land of the owner there.

Wraith Guard
30-09-04, 15:05
looks like the sims

BaDDaSS
30-09-04, 15:10
I tried SL, I have to say it was the shittest, ugliest, most boring game I have ever played in my life.

Heavyporker
30-09-04, 15:22
Holy mothafuck! almost 1k $ to GET an island, plus huge monthly fees! 0_0 omfg.

Who'd think of ever using that, huh?!?

amfest
30-09-04, 15:55
I remember when there was a thread about second life put up .. they also had another game link to another one and after a bit of searching found it also

http://www.there.com/index.html

awww they used to have a trailer for it .. it had the silliest stuff. You could get in a buggy and go flying them off cliffs and such .. rocket boards . . you could kiss with someone else's avatar .. change clothes and redesign your avatar .. lol. Not really sure what else you could do. . I thought it the funniest when I saw a girl lean over to a guy to kiss while sitting on a bench

Prankster26193
30-09-04, 16:11
Holy mothafuck! almost 1k $ to GET an island, plus huge monthly fees! 0_0 omfg.

Who'd think of ever using that, huh?!?

Thats what it costs to buy an entire server, you can buy smaller pieces of public land for ingame money.

And you call a 10$ one time fee 'huge'?

J. Folsom
30-09-04, 16:14
Thats what it costs to buy an entire server, you can buy smaller pieces of public land for ingame money.

And you call a 10$ one time fee 'huge'?
I suspect he was talking about the monthly fees for an island.

On the other hand, $1000 and $200 a month isn't that much if you agree to share the costs with others. Let's assume you have a fixed population of, erm, 50 people. That's an initial cost of $20 per person, and $4 per month per person. Of course, you'd have to know 50 people crazy enough to be willing to do that, but still.

EDIT: Above figures are determined without any personal experience on Second Life, and thus having no idea how large one of those islands is. Far more (or far less...) people might fit on one island.

Prankster26193
30-09-04, 16:28
Its basically buying you own private server for use in Sl, either public or private.

Islands can hold 40 people by default, but can be increased for a (small this time, around 50 dollars) fee.

Islands can support 15,000 ingame objects, but this can be doubled, trippled, or quadrupled upon request, and agian, for the same small fee as above.

Islands are 16 acres.

Heavyporker
30-09-04, 16:28
well... 16 acre island... ppl in RL typically like 1+ acre lots for their houses and a bit of the backyard for a BBQ or such...

Perhaps.. PERHAPS... ppl will settle for less ingame... not really sure, TBH.

Prankster26193
30-09-04, 16:32
I did, I own 2048 meters of public land ingame for my workshop so I can develop new technologies ingame. And I find that too be plenty.

Heavyporker
30-09-04, 16:52
develop.... new technologies.... in a mmorpg? o_0

Prankster26193
30-09-04, 16:56
develop.... new technologies.... in a mmorpg? o_0

Yes. SL has a built in 3d creation tool (which is very good) as well as a built in coding language that is an offshoot of c++.

Heavyporker
30-09-04, 18:24
hm. sounds pretty neat.

I just found the currency exchnage for lindenbucks to RL cash.

Impressive, to say the least... wheew...

Do many people play on second life?

What's the ramp-up cost in terms of cash and time for a new player to get to a respectable position?

Prankster26193
01-10-04, 01:38
11K people play second life.

A respectable position is nothing more then being a respectable person :) Unlike NC there is no leveling or money grubbing you need to do.

Oath
01-10-04, 01:54
no fucking way am i parting real cash for ingame benefits.....

It's a game....its going to die sooner or later, and then what, you have nothing to show for it except fun.... thats great, so when the two ballbusting skinhead "repo men" come around just be sure to tell them its ok, because you had fun :rolleyes:

Games are a detachment from reality, bringing them into reality with real shit like money and certain "monuments" in a certain "game" need to be expunged.

real money to pay for it, and real life money for ingame benefits = neg, no way sir.

Anyways, i'll stfu now.

amfest
01-10-04, 03:17
Oath the same can be said about people who bought multiple accounts for pluto or just to have. Sure they get an ingame benifit but in the end it isn't going to last and they won't have anything to show for it either. But it is something that could increase your enjoyment in a game that for the time being is still going. So maybe I pay my subscription of 9 something .. then get some land for 5 bucks. And that could keep me busy for a while per month. Alot cheaper to occupy my time than going out every month to buy a 30-50 dollar game that I could most likely beat in a few days out of the month.

Prankster26193
01-10-04, 03:29
How about this, give the game a 10 day try, post your name on these boards, and ill contact you to help you out.

darkshark
03-10-04, 03:07
Well Ive played Neocron for ages and love it, I also love Second Life, and have succeeded equally well, own a large amount of lands, have created an entire virtual market in one or two themes, made many friends, same as in Neocron, and there is almost infinite versatility in the creation system, and a world that if made well rivals the scenery and quality of Neocron. Yes u can pay large sums for virtual land but you don;t have to, u can play this world for a one off fee of $9.95 to start with, one off !. It's maybe not everyone's idea as there is no combat but then many SL people may not rate Neocron. I love both worlds, and am hugely impressed by the incredible range of Avatar creation instant adaptation and creative vision of many of Sl's builders who make lands, builds and art worthy of any game environment produced by professionals.

Also.. if u want to talk sensible investment, how about this, last December I was buying SL currency (Lindens $) in 250 unit blocks which cost $0.98 dollars US. I am now able to sell those for $1.48 US....with virtually no transaction charges.... what real life investment do you know thats gained 51% in less than 10 months? see gamingonlinemarket.com for the SL currency history against the US $.

I am not saying how much money I have made in SL but I will tell you that it has amounted to the equivalent at times of over $150-300 USD for virtual landscaping or making virtual builds in a game world for other players, in one single day, although working spells were of a few hours spread across afew days. Also if you think SL is expensive in virtual lands and islands etc, you should try playing Project Entropia where the same things cost maybe 3 times.. now thats a more expensive game by far with MUCH less chance of making real money out.

Above all, I'd say the best thing is not to rubbish a world unless u really go live in it, I hear people in PE trashing Neocron all the time yet I tell them the same, u cant possibly know unless you play and get into it. Personally i Liike them ALL, great fun, a thrill, achievement and friends,...

Heavyporker
03-10-04, 03:42
well.. now I'm getting quite intrigued by this Second Life...

Gunner_turret
03-10-04, 22:35
Second Life makes my Grandma look good

Prankster26193
03-10-04, 23:33
Second Life makes my Grandma look good

Your the kind of inteligance we NEED in sl!