PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War.....

Opar
26-09-04, 14:59
Okay, so I went out yesterday, and bought myself a copy of Warhammer 40k : DoW. Amazing, as im sure all of you who played the beta/demo will know......

Anyways, I just came off a 3 hour Skirmish game on 'standard' difficulty, in which I got ********** by like 700000000 Eldar. No worries ^_^

My only niggle though, no Tyranids, Tau or Necron. They better bring out an Expansion which adds some new classes/release patches....

Clownst0pper
26-09-04, 15:02
Okay, so I went out yesterday, and bought myself a copy of Warhammer 40k : DoW. Amazing, as im sure all of you who played the beta/demo will know......

Anyways, I just came off a 3 hour Skirmish game on 'standard' difficulty, in which I got ********** by like 700000000 Eldar. No worries ^_^

My only niggle though, no Tyranids, Tau or Necron. They better bring out an Expansion which adds some new classes/release patches....

Eldar and Tyranids are my favourite races, luckily Ive got one :D

As it stands, and how well the game has sold, expansion packs are inevitable.

Gaurenteed m8, so just enjoy the game while you can :D

MrChumble
26-09-04, 15:05
Without wanting to give too much away, the campaign ends on a 'too be continued' type note, and there's a drop down selection menu for the campaigns with only one campaign in it (the DoW one). If DoW is a commercial success - which I'd say it is already - then a sequel/expansion is all but guaranteed. I'd love to see Tyranids and (going back a bit here) the Slann :)

I've not played the tabletop version in 7 years or so, so gimme the older races I remember, none of this Tau nonsense :D

Opar
26-09-04, 15:05
Heh, I hate Marines, Eldar, Orks and Imperial Guards. But me <3 Chaos.

DoW > Warcraft 3.

Nuff said !

Yeah. I'd like to see an original Warhammer sequel/expansion. With the old skool stylee Orks, and the undead and the like.

Opar
26-09-04, 15:06
Double posteh, sowwy

MrChumble
26-09-04, 15:07
An Imp guard army would be sweet, could be murder on the frame rates though. You need 5 imps to every marine to get the same firepower :D

Sigma
26-09-04, 15:11
I bet Imperials will be in the first Xpansion, seeing as there are already Imperial Guardsmen and Leman Russ Tanks integrated.

Clownst0pper
26-09-04, 15:16
I bet Imperials will be in the first Xpansion, seeing as there are already Imperial Guardsmen and Leman Russ Tanks integrated.

I am really suprised they chose they first races that they did.

Usually I have found it to be more genestealers vs space marines, would have been a good campaign, no doubt Tyranids will be in the expansion..

They still seem a popular race! :eek:

Sigma
26-09-04, 15:18
I am really suprised they chose they first races that they did.

Usually I have found it to be more genestealers vs space marines, would have been a good campaign, no doubt Tyranids will be in the expansion..

They still seem a popular race! :eek:

Actually in the DoW-Forums in polls which race to add next, it was like:

Tyranids
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
Other
|---|

:s

Clownst0pper
26-09-04, 15:25
Actually in the DoW-Forums in polls which race to add next, it was like:

Tyranids
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
Other
|---|

:s

Really? Wow, nice to hear, cant say I ever got into the table top, painted aload as a kid but aghh the cost, so expensive!

Rather see it in lush 3d tbh :p

Darth Slayer
26-09-04, 15:28
OMG Games Jerkshop geeks ALERT......... :lol:
Anyways seriously I bought Star Wars Battlefront and next week it's now a toss up between DoW and Rome Total war, h'mmmm decisions decisions.
Not to mention the fact Fable is also out soon. BAH too many good games coming out at the same time......... :(

Scorpius.

OpTi
26-09-04, 15:49
shoulda just not bothered with battlefront cuz it's crap, and got DoW and rome:total war instead :P

Judge
26-09-04, 19:24
Playing DoW online is so fucking hard... Most of the guys are completely obscene. :o

Possessed
26-09-04, 19:45
Yeah. I'd like to see an original Warhammer sequel/expansion. With the old skool stylee Orks, and the undead and the like.

A mod for Rome: Total War would fit that perfectly tbh.

DoW is good...very good tbh, but it's going to be hard to decide between playing DoW and Rome: Total War when Rome finally gets released in the UK.

Opar
26-09-04, 21:34
tbh, im not expecting much of Rome : TW. I think it'll be Shogun : TW, or Medievil : TW with a 3D map, and a few features.

I could be wrong, but...

Possessed
26-09-04, 22:02
tbh, im not expecting much of Rome : TW. I think it'll be Shogun : TW, or Medievil : TW with a 3D map, and a few features.

Why fix something which isn't broken?

From what I've heard it is basically the same... but with bigger battles, better sieges, more options in the world screen etc.... guess we'll see for ourselves in 5 days.

TheDuckMan
26-09-04, 22:10
Played the Warhammer Demo... All i can say is Im still playin it lol. And holy crap... puttin the difficulty on standard is brutal enough.... im afraid to turn it up to hard or insane lol.

Also downloaded the Rome Total War and it wont install lol. So i guess Ill come back with opinions on that once I've checked it out. But Medeival total war was rly good. Love playin that game.

Scaramanga
26-09-04, 22:17
Downloaded DoW demo from Game Daily. Purchased it from Play.com same night. Best RTS i ever played and imo best game from GW. (Although Chaos Gate was damn good).

Can't wait to see if they do add many more races in the expansions, be nice to see the Ordo Malleus get a look in ;)

*for any 40k fans out there under 30 yo try dl original Space Hulk from somewhere*

giga191
26-09-04, 22:41
anyone played the first warhammer game on the playstation?

OpTi
26-09-04, 23:37

I could be wrong, but...

shogun TW rocked, medieval TW went up a gear, rome TW screwed going up a gear and just went and installed rockets :P

think the battles in MTW were big? just watch the into to rtw :D

MrChumble
26-09-04, 23:44
I gave up on the TW games when in the tutorial my archers on a hill managed to kill an entire two light infantry before being butchered.

I'm obviously in the very small minority, but I just don't get the appeal of the Total War games at all. I love DoW, was quite fond of the C&C games, despised Starcraft and WC3 (spit) and am still madly truely deeply in love with TA and Homeworld/HW2. Funny thing the RTS genre, I've no idea why I love some so much and hate others.

But DoW...certainly the best RTS since TA, and has so much promise for add-ons. I hope they release a mod kit of some form, but I can't see it happening :(

OpTi
27-09-04, 00:20
how did light infanty get to your archers? oh and those light infanty were probably in loose foramtion which is why you never hit them.

TW takes alot of micro management and knowing what to use against your enemy. Archers are best vs units in close formation, which tends to force them into loose formation which gives them worse defence/offense.

There's alot to think about in TW, more than i could be arsed to explain, but i'd give RTW a try.

Spermy
27-09-04, 12:25
Came in teh post this morning.

*Makes with the happy*

Capt. Rik
27-09-04, 12:52
Bought it on saturday, started the campaign yesterday.

I'm really really impressed. I haven't touched my 40k models for 5 years but the game actually feels good.

Got to mission 4 on the campaign so far. It doesn't take too long to build a pretty invincible army or Marines, hell on missions 3, I lost 3 marines in total 8|

Gonna play some more tonight unless Saturn comes back up. Haven't even touched skirmish or multiplayer yet.

Ratboy
27-09-04, 13:23
DOW really rocks. I worked for GW for a long time (before i got to Reakktor) and i´m still hooked by the whole 40K setting. Maybe you can find some of my Model-paintings in some really old White Dwarfs. :) - But only 1 Campaign with the Marines ? .... thats a bit cheap... :(

deac
27-09-04, 19:35
I say its time to go back to GW.

Dow is the thing that will hold me over untill i can find another mmo.

Great game

Oath
27-09-04, 19:41
Downloaded it...

Now I'm going to buy it, awesome game, bloody awesome...

beta sucked though tbh.

.Cyl0n
27-09-04, 20:08
Downloaded it...

Now I'm going to buy it, awesome game, bloody awesome...

beta sucked though tbh.

same here :angel:

...sex kyle :o

Judge
27-09-04, 20:20
JUst have a massive 3 vs 3 battle Space marines against Orks on skirmish. Fuck me its not massive.... like 100 Orks rushing in, being fended off by around 60 space marines with a load of heavy bolters... then sending Dreds wading into the fray... Awesome. Just brilliant. :D

Opar
27-09-04, 20:28
Meh, just played a LAN with my bro. 3 v 3, was fighting for 3 hours against two Ork teams and one Chaos on hard mode. We were ********** :p

Damn good though, 2 dreadnaughts vs. 1 of those Chaos spider things, wewt for Dreadnaughts TBH ^_^

Ithaqua
27-09-04, 20:44
Uncle Ithy to the rescue with a link to the "What we know how to mod so far" (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=37046) thread on the relicnews forum including how to make the imperial guard usable in a marine army (leman russ from the machine cult anyone?) .

Btw, anyone who fancies getting stomped by Chaos , giz a PM :P

Oh, and watch the Relic Developer Network (http://www.relic.com/rdn/) for the mod tools on the way soon... maps, models, you name it you will be able to slam it in there.

Is anyone else scared by the "Dawn of Squirrels" mod that's in the works? or just me?

and remember, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR KHORNE!

EDIT: oops, linked the wrong thread :P and typos

Opar
27-09-04, 23:09
2 Termintor squads + 2 of those huge ass tanks (Land Raiders?) = owned TBH.

So, what do you guys think, Rome : TW vs. DoW?

GIJ0e
27-09-04, 23:15
tbh DoW > all and has replaced empire earth for "lets get pissed and play something that takes 15 hours per game" at lan parties.

dreadnaughts > all

one thing though i found the single player a little easy on normal? just a case of hanging back at the start, building an army then a long slow gentle raping of the map :)

Judge
27-09-04, 23:31
lol yep GIJoe.... however I'm at mission 7 now, (possibly spoiler) and its just got a little harder, as those bastard Eldar have attacked me from behind. :o

shodanjr_gr
28-09-04, 01:19
STOP TALKING ABOUT DAWN OF WAR!!!!

Play.com kept rejecting my CC when i tried to buy DOW (odly enough it would let me buy DVDs)...So i have to wait till tomorrow to go to a retail and buy it (with the possibility of it being sold out...).

ARGG!!!!!!!!!!! The pain!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW can anyone tell me what are you online experiences on an ISDN 64K line?

Oath
28-09-04, 01:40
Giving Oath some love.

Thanks
;)

Judge
28-09-04, 11:57
W00t.... I just won my first battle online. :o

And it wasn't in a shite ass first rush either. We actually had a pretty much pitched battle... however his turrets just couldn't compete with my two CC dreds... :D

His commander got completed double teamed by my commander and a dred. 'Twas awesome. :p

QuantumDelta
28-09-04, 13:05
I gave up on the TW games when in the tutorial my archers on a hill managed to kill an entire two light infantry before being butchered.

I'm obviously in the very small minority, but I just don't get the appeal of the Total War games at all. I love DoW, was quite fond of the C&C games, despised Starcraft and WC3 (spit) and am still madly truely deeply in love with TA and Homeworld/HW2. Funny thing the RTS genre, I've no idea why I love some so much and hate others.

But DoW...certainly the best RTS since TA, and has so much promise for add-ons. I hope they release a mod kit of some form, but I can't see it happening :(
Weird.

I disliked TA, loved RA1, hated almost all of the rest of the CnC series - liked Generals, Loved Zero Hour (hated EA for making me buy two packs to get one 'real' game, though), LOVE DoW, and easily compare DoW to WC3, WC3 was good, but DoW took so many elements from it, and just made it better, it's a series of tweaks away, but the intial gameplay is amazing.

OpTi
28-09-04, 13:22
STOP TALKING ABOUT DAWN OF WAR!!!!

Play.com kept rejecting my CC when i tried to buy DOW (odly enough it would let me buy DVDs)...So i have to wait till tomorrow to go to a retail and buy it (with the possibility of it being sold out...).

ARGG!!!!!!!!!!! The pain!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW can anyone tell me what are you online experiences on an ISDN 64K line?

play kept doing that to me when i was trying to buy zero hour, i was worried about it happening again, i think it's cause of the start date, which switch cards (at least mine) don't have. I think i set it to the earlest date and it went through for dow.

Edit: i'm a spanner and meant switch card not cc

GIJ0e
28-09-04, 14:26
lol yep GIJoe.... however I'm at mission 7 now, (possibly spoiler) and its just got a little harder, as those bastard Eldar have attacked me from behind. :o

i fluked out on that one i dumped about 6 turrets in that roadway, it just turned up got spammed to half health then buggered off. then when i had about 8 lascannon dreds i tore it a new pie hole. didnt even kill a single marine :lol: still only half way through that mission at the mo, i like to spend time filling the area around cap points to full with turrets (4 deep) rocket turrets on outside and normal inside. your cap point is pretty much untakeable by the puny squads the computer sends against you then. if its still looking dodgy, just whap a squad of plasma and rocket marines in amongst the turrets, maybe a dread if they are sending vehicles, its quite comical watching waves of eldar smash themselves to bits on your turrets. oh and another tip, have a main advance, send 2 builders with them, if theres a cap with space round it, build a hq, the zone you can fill with turrets then is truy ludicrous :lol:

Birkoff
27-10-04, 21:44
Its a big shame that there is only curtrently 1 campaign (or did i miss something)

Spermy
27-10-04, 22:25
I am a wee bit dissapointed that it only came with one campaign - but as soon as a map tool is out there, I can see people making a lot more.

I'm gonna be doing one myself - I know how t model and setup 'Nids to work with the game as an extra race - so I'll have a whack at that sometime in the future.

Was a little let down by the open ending - but N/M

SypH
27-10-04, 23:01
I want an Imperial Guard army. The soldiers may suck a nut, but like in the table top game (never played it...too geeky for me, I just like to paint them) they have the best tanks in the game hands down.

Vithar
27-10-04, 23:10
Moved to Off Topic Discussion

V

SigmaDraconis
27-10-04, 23:11
it murders my PC, but ive been dreaming of a PC game ever since getting hooked on 40k years ago :D I think they strayed a bit far from tabletop for my liking but still the best RTS ive ever seen.

P.S. anyone looked at Firewarrior? I know its been out for awhile but I never got the chance to play it, thinking about getting it for PS2.

StryfeX
27-10-04, 23:28
P.S. anyone looked at Firewarrior? I know its been out for awhile but I never got the chance to play it, thinking about getting it for PS2.Not sure about the PS2 version, but the PC version sucks some major ass. Control is just.... wrong. Voice acting sounds like it was ripped from a sci-fi version of a Godzilla movie. Etc, etc, etc.

--Stryfe

Spermy
28-10-04, 11:05
Yar - there's ALWAYS some fundamental flaw in any GW based game.

Shadow of the horned rat - Well - It had frikkin skaven in it. There's your flaw. Apart from that - Only 1 Race to play

Dark Omen - Buggy

Final Lib - Turn based - Not a sensible choice of units - More fatals than NC when using air units.

Fire warrior - Not nearly enough content - A couple of weapons - and nowhere near enough variation in enemies - Oh - look, a guy with a helmet and a pistol OMG NEW UNIT!

DoW

One campaign - would also be nice if you could recycle units - IE send them back to teh battle barge - I dunno about you - but some units - I build for one task and then they sit around being pretty useless for the next 45 minutes before I need them agan. in the meantime - if I coulda recycled them - I could have actually done something.

QuantumDelta
28-10-04, 19:55
One campaign - would also be nice if you could recycle units - IE send them back to teh battle barge - I dunno about you - but some units - I build for one task and then they sit around being pretty useless for the next 45 minutes before I need them agan. in the meantime - if I coulda recycled them - I could have actually done something.

Delete button.