PDA

View Full Version : Stupid idiotic annoying game design...in EVE.

MrChumble
25-09-04, 14:53
I don't play it much, but I do kinda enjoy logging in every other day to find a new skill trained up. For anyone who's not played it, skills level in real time whether you're in game or not. Start a skill training, log off, come back after x minutes, days or weeks depending on the skill and it'll be ready to use.

I've got a char I started a couple of weeks back. I began as a miner, but have drifted to combat. Cos of low willpower this char will never be good at combat, so I made a new char (each account allows 3 chars) and guess what...you can't train a skill on two chars at the same time O_o

I hereby take the Bad Game Design award from KK (originally rewarded for their Monk system) and pass it to CCP. It's like giving a kid three toys and saying 'well one of them is useless for a year, and the other one will never work'. Sigh.

The only option is to create a new account, and I don't really like EVE enough for that, especially with NC2 finally at the door.

Spermy
25-09-04, 15:16
Strange game is EVE.

I always restart it wondering why the hell I quit, and with in three days I know the answer.

It's absolute Bab.

It sucks.

Sucks with a capital ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Shadowbreed
25-09-04, 15:39
Willpower has nothing to do with being good at combat in eve....
only the speed at which certain skills train, take a look at the skills that enhance willpower int etc.

Weaponizer
25-09-04, 16:02
@Spermy

Why does it suck? How does it suck ? Do we need straws to suck at it ? :lol:

MrChumble
25-09-04, 16:27
I can't help feeling that if excel was a multiplayer game it would be called EVE :D

It's wierd, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be doing while I train my skills, especially the 3+ day ones.

Spermy
25-09-04, 16:27
I dunno - exactly I can't put my finger on it - everytime i go back it sucks in a new way - this time it's the tedium of mining - last time it was the no skill in combat - whoever had the beefier char/ship generally won.

Richard Slade
25-09-04, 16:34
I can't help feeling that if excel was a multiplayer game it would be called EVE :D

It's wierd, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be doing while I train my skills, especially the 3+ day ones.
reason: it's all lined up, and what you got to work with is different pages (zones) and numbers (everything that isn't a zone)
simple as that, and ye, I know the feeling

ALSO the fact that you can't train more than one skill on your account at a time is for one single reason: Time.
The whole skillsystem is built around one thing: You have to wait, and therefor, also pay.
It's not poor design, it's perfect.

Ryuben
25-09-04, 16:38
any EvE stuff u don't want can be donated to me

in game char name Ryuben

:D danke

Richard Slade
25-09-04, 16:41
Or me, on my trial account : Dead Nextweek
It will be void, but you won't have it alteast ;)

Ryuben
25-09-04, 16:48
mines an actually act

:( and im scrougeing for a Battle ship skill + a battle ship

i have 4 mill cash

skill costs 4.8 mill

a battleship costs like tier 1 60 mill tier 2 104 mill

:(

and they i got to fit it out and insure it

IM POOR

MrChumble
25-09-04, 17:10
that you can't train more than one skill on your account at a time is for one single reason: Time.
The whole skillsystem is built around one thing: You have to wait, and therefor, also pay.
It's not poor design, it's perfect.
Not if I get pissed off with it and cancel my account :)

LiL T
25-09-04, 18:13
With eve unless you happy to sit there for hours and hours mining or killing npc's PvP pirating is the only way to go about getting some cash . This is how I play I use direction scanner to pinpoint people in roid belts then I warp in I get within 20km from them. Then its Warp scramble ! Target jam Fire a wreaking blow then DM them " Give me 10 Mill Or I wreck you in the next 15 seconds!!" Some pay some don't the ones that don't pay get destroyed :)

Clownst0pper
25-09-04, 18:22
With eve unless you happy to sit there for hours and hours mining or killing npc's PvP pirating is the only way to go about getting some cash . This is how I play I use direction scanner to pinpoint people in roid belts then I warp in I get within 20km from them. Then its Warp scramble ! Target jam Fire a wreaking blow then DM them " Give me 10 Mill Or I wreck you in the next 15 seconds!!" Some pay some don't the ones that don't pay get destroyed :)

that I LOVE

Ryuben
25-09-04, 18:24
that I LOVE
great way to play :D i love doing that

best way i found to makemoney is people leave ships in safe spots in space :D and then u can steal them

mwahahaha but first u got to find the ship

Clownst0pper
25-09-04, 18:25

best way i found to makemoney is people leave ships in safe spots in space :D and then u can steal them

for real?

wow, piratings the only way I take it then?

Do u need a joystick to be good in combat? 8|

LiL T
25-09-04, 18:30

Thats also rewarding ;) hard work sometimes they put it into a place you can't get too unless you discover exactly how they got there. But if you do the maths you can find anything/anyone down to the nearest 100,000km :p

for real?

wow, piratings the only way I take it then?

Do u need a joystick to be good in combat? 8|

You use the mouse in Eve you are looking At your ship from a camera drone its fairly easy control just click doubble click where you want to go. Being good at combat well alot of it is how you setup your ship to counter what they might do. Like my little ship is fitted too make sure they are not going to get away :p and so that I can target jam any crusier so they can't shoot back at me cos LiL T don't like that I got no shield boosters fitted and I bloody hate them little drones :mad: .

Ryuben
25-09-04, 18:44
Thats also rewarding ;) hard work sometimes they put it into a place you can't get too unless you discover exactly how they got there. But if you do the maths you can find anything/anyone down to the nearest 100,000km :p

You use the mouse in Eve you are looking At your ship from a camera drone its fairly easy control just click doubble click where you want to go. Being good at combat well alot of it is how you setup your ship to counter what they might do. Like my little ship is fitted too make sure they are not going to get away :p and so that I can target jam any crusier so they can't shoot back at me cos LiL T don't like that I got no shield boosters fitted and I bloody hate them little drones :mad: .

thats why i love my thorax

even thow i been threw like 6

cos it can cary 8 drones :D

LiL T about scanner i got a ship on my scanner i got it down to 60 angle but its still out of range, no objects near :confused: how do u find it !!!

Clownst0pper
25-09-04, 18:46
Have they a free trial?

I really want to try it now :(

Keyol45743241
25-09-04, 18:51
... wanna try, too.... :D

Ryuben
25-09-04, 18:52
www.eve-online.com

14 day free trial :)

Clownst0pper
25-09-04, 18:56
www.eve-online.com

14 day free trial :)

i dont have to pay anything or enter any card info do i? :O

Ryuben
25-09-04, 18:59
i dont have to pay anything or enter any card info do i? :O

nope :)

Clownst0pper
25-09-04, 19:00
nope :)

w000, 3 hours to go..

"If" it will work on this stupid fire wall.

How stupids that, UT, CS, Halflife, all that shit works, Neocron doesnt! :mad:

LiL T
25-09-04, 19:04
thats why i love my thorax

even thow i been threw like 6

cos it can cary 8 drones :D

LiL T about scanner i got a ship on my scanner i got it down to 60 angle but its still out of range, no objects near :confused: how do u find it !!!

can you get stuff down to 5 angle :) ? do this to practice warp to a moon where you see the roid belt triangle icons. Zoom out so your ship is the same size as the icon then put your ship inside the little triangle set your scanner to angle 5 hit scan and it will show you everything thats in that belt including other peoples ships. As for finding that ship finding out its exact range in KM's is what you need to do too get an idea of where it is 1 AU = 149,597,870 KM 's I think the scanner goes up to 14 AU's. If its like 7 AU's from you try getting to a planet or moon or in the middle of space you got too get closer to it like 1 - 2 AU or a few 100,000km's. Then you have a look around to whats near and try work out how he got there :) you do press F11 to bring up that little map yeah?

/EDIT I could explain in great detail but I don't think its the sort of thing I would put in these forums :p your best bet is checking the eve forums for that

Shadowbreed
25-09-04, 19:19
There are complete guides for exploring (in this case finding ships) on www.eve-i.com forums

Ryuben
27-09-04, 00:18
yeah yeah but i was hopeing u would give me an easy answer :p

Lexxuk
27-09-04, 01:49
the levelin system is actually just right, say on Saturn, you have 4 chars, you can only level up 1 at a time there too :p

mining, blergh, takes forever, but I wanna save up for a nice cruiser, learnin cruiser 1 atm, cost me like 500k to learn, now I just gotta save up enough for a thorax (thats like, chest) before I get lvl 3 up n runnin, wont take long O_o

Ryuben
27-09-04, 11:44
the levelin system is actually just right, say on Saturn, you have 4 chars, you can only level up 1 at a time there too :p

mining, blergh, takes forever, but I wanna save up for a nice cruiser, learnin cruiser 1 atm, cost me like 500k to learn, now I just gotta save up enough for a thorax (thats like, chest) before I get lvl 3 up n runnin, wont take long O_o
thorax costs about 7 mill 2.2 mill to insure fully

to make one u need

Thorax ME 10 with PE5

Zyd: 514
Tritanium : 528,584
Pyerite : 132303
Noxcium : 2052
Mexallon : 34408
Isogen : 8339
Megacyte : 131

with a thorax you need some seriouse skills to be able to be good at PvP thow, but saying that its a handly little miner

as u can carry 7 heavie drones and i think 5 mineing drones, mineing drones to help you mine, heavies to help you keeeeel :)

personally i go threw thorax's like.....well lets just say i go threw them k

Lexxuk
27-09-04, 15:16
I been using a Frigate, the umm, Tristan I think, got it set up with a 125MM Railgun, some blaster thingy and a rocket launcher, civ shield 1, and some booster thingy, a speed upgrade, engine upgrade and stuff like that, only use it for missions, but it rocks, the rockets do 70dmg per hit, the guns about 30 for a decent hit, along with 2 light or 1 med scout drone, I r a lean, mean killin machine (still only 0.0 sec though, I wanna get 0.1 :mad: )

With a crusier, omg yes, I can mine in 0,3 space AND kill the npc's there :D