PDA

View Full Version : OT - Guitar Rig or Decks setup?

Spermy
22-09-04, 21:10
Okies - so I have a dilemma -

I play guitar

I can use the decks as well.

I want to get a new setup using some of my student loan - seeing as it turns out, I'm at home this year -

Guitar - Marshall HDFX100 Head and 4x12 Cab with a gibson les paul studio.

OR

A Behringer DJM700 Mixer with 2 Technics Sl1210mk2's

I'm not sure which though...

a lil help - or maybe some alterations within the price limits of things?

as a side note - As far as I know - The DJM700 is just like the pioneer 5 channel. I've used the pioneer 5 channel before, but never a behringer - anyone offer me any comparison on this?

Genty
22-09-04, 21:11
Guitar > Decks.

Nuff said on that matter.

Oath
22-09-04, 21:16
Decks = Ned - townie - chav scum.

Guitar = the pwn - 1337 - teh win !1eoneneo.

Guitar all the way.

Spermy
22-09-04, 21:45
Decks = Ned - townie - chav scum.

Guitar = the pwn - 1337 - teh win !1eoneneo.

Guitar all the way.

How dare you!

*Gets out his 3 slotted ultimatted Burberry brassknucks*

Not really a chav, not really a trendy, not really a rocker.

I Like allsorts of music! From killswitch, through to ben folds to tiesto!

Leaning myself towards decks, on account of a gig in a club is a lot easier to find, than getting a band together in a town with no drummers, and no places to practise!

And I do a Mean trance buildup mix! But that all counts on me being close to the start of the lineup. Still finding it hard to continue from where the previous dj left off, I suppose a large vinyl collection helps!

Used to always practise sets and stuff @ uni - because we had 3 Trance dj's and a house dj in our halls! Not bad when it comes to wasting a night!

greendonkeyuk
22-09-04, 22:52
progressive house + decks = the win.

Trance died in the late 90s. sorry but it did.

Spermy
22-09-04, 22:55
Progressive house eh? Now thats actually interesting, Used to mix a bit of the funky house on account of it's way easy to cue the next up and bring parts from one vinyl into another - might be more of a challenged with progressive tho.

cRazy2003
22-09-04, 23:08
i prefer guitar since i play one myself.

WarBrain
22-09-04, 23:09
Marshal head = crap
Marshall cab = good (vintage ones rock- i have one myself)
Guibson = rocks (tho its a studio one but well... )
Behringher = Sucks bad
Pioneer = cool
Technics = own

btw im a sound engeneer in RL ;)

Spermy
22-09-04, 23:14
Marshal head = crap
Marshall cab = good (vintage ones rock- i have one myself)
Guibson = rocks (tho its a studio one but well... )
Behringher = Sucks bad
Pioneer = cool
Technics = own

btw im a sound engeneer in RL ;)

:) MG series - The combo I had did the job, but any suggestions as to an affordable head - 250 squids max?

Like wise for the mixer - 250 squids - must be a five channel - familiarity issues.

Lethys
22-09-04, 23:19
Guitars - Gibson SG Special, Ibanez S1625
Amp - Ashdown Fallen Angel 60W head and 4x12 cab
FX - Marshall Jackhammer, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Digitech Whammy

Vampire222
22-09-04, 23:21
If you plan on getting DJ decks rather buy the "super-oem" than the 1210... its cheaper, and has more torque.. same quality

Darken
22-09-04, 23:25
Guitar!

NS_CHROME54
22-09-04, 23:45
warbrain was on track with the guitar gear. while marshall heads (newer ones anyway) don't necessarily "suck," they're not great. I tried one of the new Marshall MF350 heads at a guitar store, and was very dissapointed.

I think you should go with a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier head, and a matching rectifier cabinet with oversized voice coils. great combination, it's what i'm gettin for myself. plus, it's the best possible match for a les paul (assuming you're playing metal, it aint bad for other stuff either).

(yes, I play)

Oath
23-09-04, 00:35
I'm surprised that marshall stuff has gone downhill tbh, my first amp was a marshall and it pwned...

Took me through the wonder years of the "i wanna play at a million notes a second and still sound cool" phase and kept on ticking. :wtf:

cRazy2003
23-09-04, 00:53
lol oath on his posting spree :p

marshall was a good amp too, nice quality for what you got.

OpTi
23-09-04, 00:53
mesa boogie for guitar amps/cabs = win

Spermy
23-09-04, 10:04
mesa boogie for guitar amps/cabs = win

Mesa boogie for guitar equip = Bankrupcy...

But cheers fo teh info you lot

winnoc
23-09-04, 10:10
I played in a professional band for 5 years, and i've bought and sold two cars worth of equipment :-)

I went from a small combo setup to large flightcases with amps and cabinets.

Then i got smarter...........

Buy a Roland VG8 system, and you'll be faster to setup and leave with a groupie than the keyboard player (while the drummers is getting even more sweat on him disassembling his collection of cookieboxes).
Honestly i love this system, it's compact versatile and gets you any sound you want.

Clownst0pper
23-09-04, 12:51
Decks all the way, although Vinals (spelling :\) are expensive.

Get a good set together and its extremely satisfying

hinch
23-09-04, 13:18
my home jamming guitar setup is

bc rich - mockingbird custom
les paul - standard with seymour duncan alnico pro 2 humbuckers,

amp is marshal powerbrake, jcm 800 head and a jcm 900 green back cab

pedals are assorted mainly boss with a nice little crybaby

for gigging i change the setup slightly

djskum
23-09-04, 13:50
Done both, prefered decks...

Get a mixer with an adjustable x-fade curve so u can chop it in about out, great for transforming, orbits and crabs. Anyone can mix beats but only the talented become real turntablists!

DjSKum

/EDIT Oh and if your keen on scratching and u have guitar pedals, plug em into your decks! A Crybaby sounds ace when ur wrecking the phat scratches up!

SynC_187
23-09-04, 13:59
I don't play guitar so I guess my reply is bias, but go for the decks and mixer ;)

Allen & Heath stuff is great!

I've got a Xone62 (http://www.allen-heath.com/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=17) and I love it, maybe a bit expensive (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR44749) though. I couldn't afford it until I left uni.

winnoc
23-09-04, 14:16
Just go for a small deck, the VG8 system from roland for your guitars and then use a program like REASON on your computer to record and make music.

Spermy
23-09-04, 15:51
Done both, prefered decks...

Get a mixer with an adjustable x-fade curve so u can chop it in about out, great for transforming, orbits and crabs. Anyone can mix beats but only the talented become real turntablists!

DjSKum

/EDIT Oh and if your keen on scratching and u have guitar pedals, plug em into your decks! A Crybaby sounds ace when ur wrecking the phat scratches up!

:) Me and crabs DO NOT MIX!

Have a monumentally fucked up left hand from an accident at work 2 years back, Only just got my original fretboard antics back - working once again up to soloing.

If I could crab with my right hand it wouldn't be a problem, but I mostly used my right hand for effects and cd Deck usiness. - I can't see a scratch session appearing in any trance breakdowns any how to be honest - but It's something I want to look into if I start mixing Hip hop.

Just got a hold of reason, used it a little at uni, but I'm still rooted in Fruityloops and cubase - I'd love to learn pro tools though.

Once again cheers for the inputtage :D

hinch
23-09-04, 16:10
cubase is teh win tbh unless you happen to have an amiga lying around when they have the best software ever on them :)

djskum
23-09-04, 16:33
I've got a right handed mate who crabs with his left. I personally crab with my right.

You don't have to limit yourself to only scratching hip hop tho (altho it helps ;-)) I've seen house, techno, jungle, techno DJ's mix it up like hip hop. IMHO it sounds like teh bollox! Ever heard of the x-men? DJ Sneak et al, 4 man house mixing like hip hop madness (8 decks or somthing)! Claude Young, used to be a hip hop DJ now plays techno/tech house. Scratches with his elbows! Amazing stuff! My style is usually breaks mixed with 4x4 chopped up and mixed like hiphop. But I've done all sorts (mixed for about 13 years now). I've even done a ska set on a CD mixer, 2 x sl1200, a laptop and 2 mixers. Mixed it like hiphop and the punters loved it!

If your playing 4x4 then think about getting a beat -> midi box and attach drum machines, laptops etc to your kit. Me and a mate used to mix records in with live sets, used to work really well (till he got put in jail, but thats another story...).

Another one of my mates is the best guitar player I know. He makes music now and his current project is being produced by Roni Size! Oh and when he started mixing it took him about a week to learn how to beat mix! Bastard! I guess if you've got it, you've got it ;-)

As for reason etc. Can be alot of fun, if you can get cheap outboard stuff, get it. Get a sampler, a good one, hardware or software. Thats when you really start producing your own sounds and your own styles!

There's so much to do that has/hasn't been done, or seen properly! Get on it!

DjSKum

winnoc
23-09-04, 16:35
I still have a working amiga STFM lying in the attic, including the cubase program for it and a roland midi synthbox.

God those were the days, we would write music on that thing and then transfer it to sheetmusic and work from there.

Some things we could NEVER play right as it was too difficult for us to play lol.

djskum
23-09-04, 16:38
cubase is teh win tbh unless you happen to have an amiga lying around when they have the best software ever on them :)

Agreed!

DjSKum

hinch
23-09-04, 16:40
if i ever find my old tape boxes i'll hook up a walkman to mic in on pc and mp3 up some shit i made when i was about 14.

mainly all guitar stuff but was done using a little amiga 500 with midi a little roland keyboard and a 4 track jobbie :) i had to overlay the 4 track onto its self several times so get me upto 16 tracks

winnoc
23-09-04, 16:45
The band i started when i got my guitar was made up of 16-17y old kids, all new to their instruments. Two years later we made a demo cd and eventhough it was out of tempo and some notes were off, i still think it was pretty good shit for a bunch of kids rehearsing in a garage.

and1guy
23-09-04, 16:48
my setup :p :D
guitars: Jackson V style and a fooking SAMICK!! its a copy of an ibby =)
amp: first one was a big fucking Kustom bass amp with head/cab but i sold it and then got a small ass peavy pos, now i got a nice crate

i dont really play much anymore cuz i live in an apartment.. and its only so much fun when you gotta play with headphones all the time :( plus neocrack is fucking poopy

OpTi
23-09-04, 17:04
Basses
Ibanez EDA900
Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman

Amp/Cab
Hartke HA2000 200w Head
Hartke TP115 15" Cab

Effects
Boss ODB3 Bass Distortion Pedal

desperatly want to get an ampeg svt-3pro head and an svt 410hlf cab which would make my beloved warwick sounds soo much better.

Spermy
23-09-04, 17:06
Just trying to find a spot to do this, but just dug some stuff out from a few years back - I'll make a torrent out of em - They're not good - but they ain't too bad.

Be right back

EDIT - screw it - I'll put em on acidplanet later - I'll give ya the addys when they're up for anyone interested

hinch
23-09-04, 17:18
could just make a post and attach them on my forums think i allow most .mp3 files and size's

NS_CHROME54
23-09-04, 19:03
as soon as you're up to it, you better post your "Eruption" and your SRV "Little Wing"...

can play the srv version of little wing, but i can't be bothered to learn how to use a whammy bar to the same extent as Eddie Van Halen, plus my guitar lacks a floyd rose bridge. it'll be a little while before i really try and learn that one all the way.

if you're lookin for some cool new stuff to work up to, have a listen to Alter Bridge. it's essentially Creed with a new singer (if you haven't heard of them), except Mark Tremonti busts out some awesome shred solos. the album is called "One Day Remains" and it rocks.

Netphreak
24-09-04, 04:51
Lets see Mixer: Pioneer DJM500 or DJM600 if you want the sampler
Denon make a mixer comparable to the DJM600 and its in most ways a better mixer although its slightly more expensive and probably harder to get.
Decks: i'd have to say only get a pair of technics if you can find a cheap set (they last forever if you get them serviced) otherwise get a pair of Stanton ST8-100's or ST8-150's.

As for music odviously i'm biased here so no progressive shit.
Hard and bouncey, with some nice melody's vocal's not necessary when the tune's good.
Personnally i'm a hard house person, but i love the good old hardcore (not happy hardcore although great to chill to or have a laugh pure hardcore is better to dance to) bangin beats and great melody's.

And yes guitar's are cool. I've a nice gibson acoustic which i haven't played in probably 5years and even then i wasn't very good. But i wish i had the pateince and time to learn the guitar properly.

NS_CHROME54
24-09-04, 06:03
guitar, like many instruments = easy to learn, hard to master.

hinch
24-09-04, 09:15
16 years of playing and i still struggle with some of slash's stuff :)

though i'm down with teh hendrix :)

Spermy
24-09-04, 11:02
Tis funneh - learn the basics in a day - actually master the bloody thing - never.