PDA

View Full Version : Twilight War

SyncError
22-09-04, 04:31
Concept Trailer Video (http://www.twilightwar.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=3)

If you've seen the latest news on Shack, you've probably heard of Twilight War (http://www.twilightwar.com/) a MMORPGFPS game that they just announced as using the Half-Life 2 Source engine to power it... it reminded me of Neocron in a few ways, and thought that many of you would enjoy checking it out. Its not expected out until 2006, and no betas available until Q4 2005 most likely, but its site is a good read and has some nice concept art in addition to the videos.

trigger hurt
22-09-04, 04:54
saw this about 3 months ago when I was looking for a new game to play. They didnt have the concept video up then, but it sounded hauntingly familiar. It all depends on how it turns out, I guess.

Seems like everyone wants to make the post apocolyptic mmo these days. maybe THEY will get it right.

SyncError
22-09-04, 05:04
everyone wants to make the post apocolyptic mmo these days.
1.) Cause its frickin' cool.

2.) [ edited ]

Clive tombstone
22-09-04, 05:15
1.) Cause its frickin' cool.

2.) [ edited ]

Lol, so true

Ixiod
22-09-04, 07:42
Holy schniekes that looks badass!

Burgeri
22-09-04, 10:26
Video opens into a page of garbage. What am I doing wrong?

Ozambabbaz
22-09-04, 12:41
Video opens into a page of garbage. What am I doing wrong?

most probably a codecs problem, try getting some :D

mebbe xvid will do it, dunno havent got the vid

evs
22-09-04, 13:55
Pity its nothing more than sketches and some semi ropey cgi :(

Dribble Joy
22-09-04, 14:11
'Factions refer to in-game groups of associated characters, such as the Silics or the Hell Riders. Factions are not player-controlled entities, though player activity can influence them. Every character has a faction rating with each of the factions, based on many factors such as race (Human or Mutant), how many of the faction members they have slain or wounded, and the results of faction-based missions that they choose and complete.'

HMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Anyway, thier forums say that they are still looking for an engine....

Original monk
22-09-04, 14:26
checked the site out, concept art looks a bit like neocrons -> chittin queen, mz ? and sumkind of fake drom ..

anyways i also checked there forums and in the thread about what games ya play ffcourse i see spermy's stupid smileyface avater, promoting neocron no prob with that but its yust the way how :/

yeah yeah, no pointing to "runners"

but still i point and laugh at em

SyncError
22-09-04, 14:45
Anyway, thier forums say that they are still looking for an engine....

They have officially been licensed by Valve Software to lease and use Half-Life 2's new Source Engine to power Twilight War.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33681

Dribble Joy
22-09-04, 14:47
How much did THAT cost 8|.

/edit.. it was in your first post :p.

RayBob
22-09-04, 14:54
Anyway, thier forums say that they are still looking for an engine....They just licensed the Half Life 2 Source engine. 8| At least we know the graphics will be awesome.

'Factions refer to in-game groups of associated characters, such as the Silics or the Hell Riders. Factions are not player-controlled entities, though player activity can influence them. Every character has a faction rating with each of the factions, based on many factors such as race (Human or Mutant), how many of the faction members they have slain or wounded, and the results of faction-based missions that they choose and complete.'I'm not sure if TW is doing it the way that some other unmentionable game is, but if so, it is an interesting concept.

Player made clans come and go quickly and have only a loose association with their faction. By loose, I mean that while each clan in NC belongs to one faction, players don't really have any effect on the story of their faction and often fight against other clans in the same faction. But in THAT game, the players ARE the faction. This includes the ability to rise up to the highest leadership position in their faction and the faction itself has no guarantee of existence if it is unsupported. I have no idea if that concept will work but it is interesting.

SyncError
22-09-04, 15:06
How much did THAT cost 8|

It probably cost more than downloading a free open source engine off of the Internet, contacting the creator and asking for permission to use it, obtaining that permission because the author really doubts that a game would go anywhere using their free open source 3d fps engine for an mmorpg, and then laying in a terrain generator for the wasteland regions and then renaming the new engine as your own.

If that is what you were getting at...

Original monk
22-09-04, 15:13
It probably cost more than downloading a free open source engine off of the Internet, contacting the creator and asking for permission to use it, obtaining that permission because the author really doubts that a game would go anywhere using their free open source 3d fps engine for an mmorpg, and then laying in a terrain generator for the wasteland regions and then renaming the new engine as your own.

If that is what you were getting at...

indeed yes, hell alot more is my guess

i dont think valve is giving engines away lol

Spermy
22-09-04, 15:15
Tis looking good - Got my beta slot reserved when the site first went up =P

2005 Is the first beta test though.

Looks like it's worth having a test of - just one thing - those devs are overly perky!

RayBob
22-09-04, 15:36
...just one thing - those devs are overly perky!It's the Florida sunshine. :)

Edit: By the way, Fallen Earth isn't looking too bad either. That's 3 new post-apoc MMOGs coming out in the next 12-18 months.

SyncError
22-09-04, 15:43
indeed yes, hell alot more is my guess

i dont think valve is giving engines away lol

Well I would never imply that as a possibility. I was merely summarizing how KK obtained the engine which they expanded upon. Its still up for download at sourceforge. =p

phunqe
22-09-04, 15:47
Seems like they're having website problems again...

Original monk
22-09-04, 16:13
I was merely summarizing how KK obtained the engine which they expanded upon. Its still up for download at sourceforge. =p

yeah youre totally right, i approved twice even !

the valve-enginethingie was meant sarcastically, i dont even wonna guess what there source-engine costs lol, so if they really bought it then they sure trew some topdollar towards valve (the people from twilight war that is)

i wonna see screens of the game btw :/