PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Vets? Eh? o.0

Spermy
21-09-04, 11:59
Okay - so I see all these people all over t'interweb, slating games they themselves couldn't produce, Insulting people randomly with the reckless abandon of a pssed up idaho wheat farmer, and generally being 'tards, acting like they should recieve special treatment or their word is law...

K...

They cite thier reasons for such misguided activitys as:

"I'm a veteran gamer"

"Because I happen to be more experienced in the field of games then you, you moron"

"I R UBER l33t |-|4><0R" - Might i just add to this - :wtf:

Okay, so you're a veteran gamer... So that means you deserve the same rights as other veterans - like ww2 vets or whatever? ( One guy I asked actually had the temerity to say yes!) Basically the responses I got were "I am doing the games industry a service - THEY OWE ME" etc...

K, Rant mode ON!

What the crap?! :wtf:

You bitch and moan about people working thier arses off on 17 hour days, fucking up thier social life, thier diets, thier sleep patterns etc, to make you a game? You don't happen to like this particular offering, okay fine, just say you don't like it then - NO WAIT! it's not enough to just say ya don't like it!

Out comes - "As a gaming veteran i am disgusted to see what company X has fallen to, the game is piss poor unplayable and seems to have been designed by monkeys - Insert obscure SCIFI quote - "

Okay Fuckass - READ.

A veteran gamer? Well done! You have succeeded in rephrasing the sentence - "I spend all my time in front of my screen - the only freinds I have are my right hand and my buddy list. I have no life."

Okay... Yeah - so I'm pissed - I went to ask about an online game ( saga of ryzom - Feel free to edit it tho mods.) Which I happen to think looks pretty damn cool, So I asked around for people's opinions, Now a few people didn't like this game, but rather than say that and why, I was leapt upon and torn limb from limb - Okay slight exaggeration, but my fingers did get cramp while i was writing this post... And my nose is all stuffed up. :(

Now The first guy - Whoa big whoop - I'm supposed to respect ya because you do sod all else apart from play games and bitch... Thats a five year olds job dude. Same goes for the second one, Okay so the more you bugger up your social life, the more authority ot gives you over what I do for a bit of fun on an evening? Ooookayyy...

Special award for biggest Epenis - Uh, I mean post count goes to the third quote - I really could figure out whether i was being insulted, or whether, if this was real life some 13 year old kid would have streaked through the room, screaming "I R LEET!!!11Oneeleven!!1" .

I forgot my point - Oh yeah - just thought I'd explore the term veteran gamer - cos - to me it makes no sense - you play more games than me - so what - I see more pussy than you. :p

Anyone feel the same?

sanityislost
21-09-04, 12:05
ok first dude....chill a lil

ok in my frame of mind vets are people who play have played the game for
awhile, help out the new players and use the time they have spent learning
more about the game to help make it better.

SiL ..:..

phunqe
21-09-04, 12:06
Lol, good rant... excellent vent. I can feel the rage. Good work :p

It's relieving isn't it? :p

Falen
21-09-04, 12:09
roflmfao i found this post pretty damn ammusing..... and no vet gamers do not have really a right to trash games but their opion still can matter..... say mr.x has been playing game c for q many years =) mr.x after playing for q many years has grown a tad chemically imbalanced and will prove this too you with his amazing hacker talk and know how of the game....

people like that should still be taken seriously just as a warning that one day you could turn out like that if you play this game =)

but for the most part games are a product and products should be criticized and its always good to share info but the crap you speak of people doing is not productive at all and yes maybe they do need their epenis caught in a door but ohwell with those ones just remember not to play the game to much or you'll turn out like them =)

other then that i got little to say as my brain is mush from all the nyquils cough medican and jager ive been downing to help me sleep im not even sure if im on topic anymore no im not... must end reply before i hurt self... *hits head on enter button worth 4 stitches and a keyboard imprint for days to come*

Jonax
21-09-04, 12:14
Gotta agree with you Spermy :)

I'll admit it, I've been doing MMOGs for a while now - Six years, 15 games, countless clans etc. But TBH, that doesn't really mean shit in itself when I'm in-game. What matters is my reputation based on what I do and how I act in-game, and that's how I like it. :D

There's a popular saying: "It isn't about the cards you're dealt but how you play them". A similar one works for games: It isn't about how long you've been on them but what you've done when you have." ;)

deac
21-09-04, 12:24
Stfu nib...

evs
21-09-04, 12:27
I think you have missed the entire point.

You pay your money for something - you expect it to do what its supposed to.

For example: A brand spanking new car.

You expect it to do what you were told it does when you were sold it.

If you do something to break it - fair enough, if it breaks through normal use within a few days- you are quite right to want it fixed from whom you bought it as it wasnt 'right' when you bought it.

Buying a new car, nearly all car manufacturer's will replace faulty parts under a warranty.

Neocron is different to this - Many of us were sold this game on promises.

According to the box and the advertisment blurb - it had a hell of a lot more stuff in it than it actually even has now.

Most people bought neocron and were met with crashes and bugs within their 1st hour of playing.

As it uses an online cdkey, many shops dont refund online only games - and many felt 'ripped off'.

Still with the promises of "it'll be all right soon! stick around please!" many gave reakktor the benefit of the doubt and decided to stick with the game for a while.

I can totally sympathise with anyone who pays for this in the 'hope' it can be the game that it we were originally sold it as.

We also pay every month to play this game, again with the promises of fixes and extra's. Which dont come.

People often feel the need to vent their frustrations - and fair enough, let them. Everyone deals with disappointment in different ways.

hinch
21-09-04, 12:28
i trash games not because im a gaming vet though at my age you could possiably call me that but because i CAN write/make games like the ones i slate.
i do it for a living oO

Spermy
21-09-04, 12:36
Evs - I'm talking about saga of ryzom!

I'm used to people bitching about Neocron - stuff needs doing - simple as.

SoR however is finished - released - and looks sweet as, what I'm Ranting at is not the fact that people bitch, it's the way people take themsleves to seriously, or have overinflated egos over something like playing a shitload of games all day, A person who demands respect and the right to bitch all he wants purely because he does sod all else but play video games, is one sad fuck.

Bitch with a reason - Fine - Just make it

A) Valid
B) Less laughable than the "I'm a veteran" crap.

evs
21-09-04, 12:48
Fair does spermy - that'll teach me to skim read :D

Ryzom does look good, and was buggy as hell in beta (many many blue screens on installation for a lot of people)

It's like anything really, armchair football experts think they can pick better sides than the manager of their team - often it's wrong, but sometimes if enough people have the same view, well, the old saying of 'no smoke without fire' is very apt.

Again, even if you are in the business, doesn't mean you know everything either.

If we take the idea of football again, a pundit or other manager may offer his opinion on a player, but that doesnt mean he's right.
In reality the only person who matters is the person in control (i.e manager again) as really, it's up to you who you listen to.

So in another example: As hinch states he makes games - does that neccessarily make him right on his opinions on how neocron should run?

No it doesnt.

It's still an opinion and although he's got experience in the field of game creation and arguably more so than your average gamer - it all comes down to whoever's managing it to listen. (i.e KK in reakktor's case)

(sorry hinch - but you offered up a great example mate :P)

As human beings we love to criticise as its so easy and its nice to thinj our voice is heard.

But in reality - the manager just looks over and blatantly ignores you :)

Spermy
21-09-04, 12:59
Ah - Touche!

SEX

Mobius
21-09-04, 14:42
I love rants hehehe =) And yea, some vets can be pricks but then again.. some nibs can too. Good rant though..

Doc Holliday
21-09-04, 15:15
i fuckin hate people who whine about people being good at something or know alot about something. thats a veteran in some senses. its the people who use the old adage of get a life u play games 10 hrs a day. theres little kids in all of us it seems but in some people its the little kid who is in control not the man. spermy let your brain take over for a change.

people play games to have an ego as its escapism they can be who the fuck they want. i know i do. what is your point exactly?

Spermy
21-09-04, 15:32
i fuckin hate people who whine about people being good at something or know alot about something. thats a veteran in some senses. its the people who use the old adage of get a life u play games 10 hrs a day. theres little kids in all of us it seems but in some people its the little kid who is in control not the man. spermy let your brain take over for a change.

people play games to have an ego as its escapism they can be who the fuck they want. i know i do. what is your point exactly?

Hey dude, Engage brain - I never said they knew a lot - I said their attitude stinks - As In " I demand special treatment cos I'm a gaming veteran". :wtf:

My point is certain people have this misguided vision that just because the do nothing but play games all day they desrve a special status over other gamers, the only thing they deserve is a reality check, some vitamin C and a treadmill.

Juat because you play games more than anyone else doesn't mean you have the god given right to demand special; treatment - or spout off the mouth at anyone who disagrees or whatever - nor does it immediately make you an uber programmer or modeller who could "crank out something 10x better than what they did, and 10x faster"

I dare them to.

They may have better gaming skills tactics etc, but thats it, it doesnt' mean they deserve to be elevated above all others.

Etc

THATS my point.

JustIn_Case
21-09-04, 15:43
Im a true game vet :cool:

My first computer was a ZX-81 (0.9KB ram, woot) and only had b/w ascii graphics :). You had to make your own games in basic since you couldnt buy any.

So im a game vet in the true sence :D , Playing 24x7 doesnt make you an vet, only makes you 1337 kiddie with no social life...

G.0.D.
21-09-04, 16:15
At no point during that entire rant did you form anything that even remotely resembled a rational thought. I actually feel like my knowledge base has receded having read this.

Mobius
21-09-04, 16:54
Im a true game vet :cool:

My first computer was a ZX-81 (0.9KB ram, woot) and only had b/w ascii graphics :). You had to make your own games in basic since you couldnt buy any.

So im a game vet in the true sence :D , Playing 24x7 doesnt make you an vet, only makes you 1337 kiddie with no social life...

That is pretty hardcore =) I was too poor to get one of those (boohoo), had to wait a few years while coding/messing around with my friends old puter. My first very own one was a 286 laptop with smashing 2 megs of ram =) it was so uber that i could choose between 8 and 10 mhz with a dipswitch! was enough for me to make my very first 3d-engine in good old mode x though =)

Kids, can we say int13? ;)

JustIn_Case
21-09-04, 17:03
ZX-81:

- Z80A Microprocessor clocked at 3.25MHz.
- 1K RAM, expandable to 16K, 32K or 56K.
- 8K ROM containing BASIC.
- A single ULA for all I/O functions.

My big brother and i could only afford the 1k version (0.9kb actually).

Thoose wore the days...Best game was shooting "." at lost of "*" scrolling towards you :lol: . I could play that game for hours... Kids today are to spoiled :angel:

Spermy
21-09-04, 17:36
At no point during that entire rant did you form anything that even remotely resembled a rational thought. I actually feel like my knowledge base has receded having read this.

Thats why it's called a rant little dude.

Say it with me

R-A-N-T! :D

Endar
21-09-04, 18:20
ZX-81:

- Z80A Microprocessor clocked at 3.25MHz.
- 1K RAM, expandable to 16K, 32K or 56K.
- 8K ROM containing BASIC.
- A single ULA for all I/O functions.

My big brother and i could only afford the 1k version (0.9kb actually).

Thoose wore the days...Best game was shooting "." at lost of "*" scrolling towards you :lol: . I could play that game for hours... Kids today are to spoiled :angel:

True, but no one would not play those games anymore. What is the ultimate game console/pc?

SNES of course :D I still love those games so much. The RPGs that were made then beat the crap out of any RPG games that have been made now.

Seriously I got to dig up that console. Now when Im sick I can make a bed in front of tv and play Tales of Phantasie, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Star Ocean and all those awesome RPG games!!

Woo this thread is awesome, but I dont know why I started talking about SNES when Spermy made a rant about vets. Well who knows..

MkVenner
21-09-04, 18:34
yeah i know the kinda people you're talking 'bout, twats, a vet imo is some one who knows the game like the back of his/her hand, and pass that knowledge on, they dont even have to be very good at said game, and chances are, if they call themselves a vet they aint....

man i remeber my first computer, an old Amiga 600 lol, played Falcon F-16 all the time lol...

BroHam
21-09-04, 19:09
wow please close this thread since it is nothing but blatant RANT, Ive seen mods closing threads right n left if anyone mentions shortcommings of there supported, published product, but yet they leave this noobs thread open for flames. Yes some people are proffessional gamers maybe a shocker to you but most MMORPGS have a Ebay or player auctions market there for making playing the games a profitable buisness.

There are alot of people that purely play MMORPGS just to make money. possibly there are obsesive compulsive players such as myself that play every single MMORPG they can get there hands on. Therefore playing just about everygame that comes down the line making them/Me see alot of content and maybe making there/My standards go up for the gaming community IE gaming companys.

Espcially ones that Have not been doing anything to there game since beta except for minor bug fixes, that take little to no time to fix Just kinda disapointing to think about. I for one do not feel that Reakktor has been working on this expansion (nc2) for the last 3 years this is widely open to speculation, but once I played the Open expansions beta ( which means it went passed in house and closed Beta testing first, and is now being stress tested for the public servers) it made me feel as if they were going to realese a unfinished product and my many years of playing MMORPGS was worthless because my feedback falls on deaf ears or in this case blind eyes.

thanks

-J

greendonkeyuk
21-09-04, 19:10
assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, and opinion is a powerful word. As is fanboi, but i wont go there.

In english then, if someones opinion means nothing to you ignore them, if they (in your eyes) are worthy of mention or u feel the need to listen to them when they choose to speak then good for you, and them, if not, please dont moan about someone else as it makes you look jealous.

word.

Koshinn
21-09-04, 19:27
Spermy was RANTING! He's venting frustration that people think they're "better" than everyone else just because they've played longer. Sure they may be more knowledable about the game, they might be better in the game, but that doesn't give them the right to act like asses with a "greater than thou" attitude.

In english then, if someones opinion means nothing to you ignore them, if they (in your eyes) are worthy of mention or u feel the need to listen to them when they choose to speak then good for you, and them, if not, please dont moan about someone else as it makes you look jealous.
Green, if you don't like spermy's opinion, why did you post instead of ignore him?

wow please close this thread since it is nothing but blatant RANT, Ive seen mods closing threads right n left if anyone mentions shortcommings of there supported, published product, but yet they leave this noobs thread open for flames.
That's what makes the Neocron forums great. They do NOT censor threads because they criticize the game... they actually read the forums and try to fix a lot of the problems/balace issues brought up by players in the forums. So how does your reasoning on why this thread should be closed have any relevance on this forum? And why do you call him a noob? For all you know he could be a professional gamer too, but disgusted at how his "peers" act.

There are alot of people that purely play MMORPGS just to make money. possibly there are obsesive compulsive players such as myself that play every single MMORPG they can get there hands on. Therefore playing just about everygame that comes down the line making them/Me see alot of content and maybe making there/My standards go up for the gaming community IE gaming companys.
It is not the responsibility of the game creator to pay special attention to people who play more or play less, as it is also not their responsibility to cater to the needs of "professional gamers" who make a living off of their product without their consent. In fact, many MMOs do not approve of selling ingame items for real money.
And you're missing the entire point. Spermy isn't angry with ALL vets. Many help people who are newer than themselves and are an overall helpful member of the community. Others flaunt that they're "vets" and use that to try gain special treatment, or substitute being a vet for a valid argument. Those are the people Spermy is ranting about... so plz plz plz read posts entirely first.

Spermy
21-09-04, 19:30
But... But... Chumby rants....

CHUMBY RANTS!!! :lol:

Anyhoo - I bend to the will of the peoples - It's a little inflammatory - so MOds please close the thread!

In other news - I failed to stay away - I fired beta up today to have a run around... Bleh... Doesn't mean I'm back - I just like talking to you lot :)

greendonkeyuk
21-09-04, 19:31
jus coz i needed to get my plus one. nah seriously, i posted because i wanted to offer an alternative to his rant. i rarely get mad at a game, or for that matter a forum. I cant see why so many people have been banned tbh for flaming etc. I cant remember the last time i flamed someone here or in the game. i might have been sarcastic, or i might have thought jack ass at someones opinion but for me to post it would be an entirely different thing. jus my opinion thats all.

Mobius
21-09-04, 19:42
haaaay don't close the thread, it's funny! =) people ranting about people and some others ranting back. it's great! me love rantings..

and to say something with actual content i should add that vets are only truely uber if they add something positive back into whatever area they are vets in. if not, they are just old greedy bastards.

edit: oh and SNES > PC ^^

BroHam
21-09-04, 19:59
That's what makes the Neocron forums great. They do NOT censor threads because they criticize the game... they actually read the forums and try to fix a lot of the problems/balace issues brought up by players in the forums. So how does your reasoning on why this thread should be closed have any relevance on this forum? And why do you call him a noob? For all you know he could be a professional gamer too, but disgusted at how his "peers" act.

I feel somehow that what you have stated to be false on the front page alone I found several closed or edited post's by mods

I myself have been playing for 3 months (since i quit in beta5) and now have 3 capped characters and nothing to do as I have no clan, and have no point in joining one untill im forced to leave for NC2. So basicly all i do is sit around building stuff for noobs in plaza 2, handing out loots or rare parts which are worthless and as for tips what do i need money for ? I mean its all going to be wiped anyway. :(
So from what I can tell companys need to focus on end game higher lvl characters if they want a succesfull product and to keep there customers interest in playing and keep lvling to reach a goal. Really only thing going past lvl 30 is a drawback like not being able to put LE's back in. It seems most part time players would be motivated and have alot more fun not lvling and just dicking around.

NS_CHROME54
21-09-04, 20:00
Chrono Trigger + Super Mario RPG = Best RPG's EVAH (well, there's fallout too, but we'll talk about that some other time).

*I will not say "I'm the oldest neocroner around, other than ppl who've been hired by KK already."... I will not say "I'm the oldest neocroner around, other than ppl who've been hired by KK already."...*

I'm very young, but my first computer was some old XT. 4 mhz, hercules graphics (Black & Yellow), 512K Ram, 20 meg hard drive, state of the art sound (a piezo buzzer)...

one day i bought a shitload of old game demo disks for like 5 bucks. those kept me entertained for hours on end.

from the XT, I went to a 200mhz machine, then to a 400mhz machine... then to my new computer, which just arrived yesterday :D

Spermy
21-09-04, 20:10
HEY! all the peeps ranting about the NC forum!

It's not about NC!

It's just my view on people who are being asshats - Just my opinion - feel free to disagree, but if ya do...

I'll Kill you. :)

NS_CHROME54
21-09-04, 20:15
I'll Kill you. :)

that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D

i know it isn't about nc, but my reputation demands that whenever the word "vet" comes up, I must give that speach...

JustIn_Case
21-09-04, 20:24
man i remeber my first computer, an old Amiga 600 lol, played Falcon F-16 all the time lol...

Bah, Amiga 500 was my 4:th computer, im the vet ;) (Darn i feel so old...)

G.0.D.
21-09-04, 23:12
Bah spermy didnt take my flame bait :(

<3 you really.

Judge
21-09-04, 23:22
Bah spermy didnt take my flame bait :(

<3 you really.

OMG Troll0rz.

Eeeeevil!!!!111!!1 :o

Sp3rmy j00 n008 stfu!11!!!!1!1one

Spermy
21-09-04, 23:36
Now I know I was involved somewhere in that previous post... just can't seem to decipher it.... O_o

G.0.D.
21-09-04, 23:53
/me goes to bable fish

The l33t sp34k to engrish translator returns:

Oh my Higher profit. Troll green

Really evil!

Spermy you noob please refrain from speaking in that mannor,
I use AOL

Judge
22-09-04, 00:47
Yeah, thats pretty much it. :p

What? AoL pwns..... :angel:

Mobius
22-09-04, 10:15
Oh my Higher profit. Troll green

Really evil!

Spermy you noob please refrain from speaking in that mannor,
I use AOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Fuck i allmost died choking on my breakfast because of you.. HAHA.. ooooooh god.. thats so funny