PDA

View Full Version : [OT] stoner rock?

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 22:12
hey guys... this isnt one of those "rnb vs rock" threads... i wanna know what kida music you would class as stoner rock (or similar) and if you have any suggestions. i know all of VENOM like this kinda music, and i know Kid Kapow (ZorkSmork? i forget his forum account) does too...

personally:

Kyuss
Queens of the stonage
Natas

are the 3 main bands i listen to

Herbitt
18-09-04, 22:22
I dont listen to stoner rock, but i'd class anything like Kyuss, QOTSA, Nebula(not actually heard them but i think they r , not sure ;o )

Anything with bassy distorition , low treble, on the guitars i'd say was stoner rock. The music's quite simple too from what ive heard. Theres also a song called 'Pigeon Toe' which my band did a cover of and ive forgotten what the band was called (cos it was so long ago :S )

-edit - Ah ha, found them, Fu Manchu was the band with the song pigeon toe, i think they're stoner rock too, but, as i said, i dont listen to stoner rock so i could be wrong.

BroHam
18-09-04, 22:26
Slayer
Metallica
Type o Negative
deicide
sulpultara
pentera
any norg death metal band

Herbitt
18-09-04, 22:28
Slayer
Metallica
Type o Negative
deicide
sulpultara
pentera

personally i wouldnt class these as stoner rock

i considered stoner rock to be slightler slower than this music, specially slayer and pantera.

For me, slayer = thrash metal and panter = metal, sepultura = heavy metal.

not heard much by the other 2 bands.

I dunno what id describe as stoner rock, maybe i can find a proper definition of it on the web somewhere..

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 22:29
Slayer
Metallica
Type o Negative
deicide
sulpultara
pentera

death metal != stoner rock

Herbitt
18-09-04, 22:32
Did a search for stoner rock and these are the bands it came up with :

The Atomic Bitchwax
Fu Manchu
Kyuss
Electric Wizard
Mannhai
Masters of Reality
Monster Magnet
Nebula
Orange Goblin
Queens of the Stone Age
Sleep
Spirit Caravan
Unida
Sixty Watt Shaman

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 22:34
Did a search for stoner rock and these are the bans it came up with :

The Atomic Bitchwax
Fu Manchu
Kyuss
Electric Wizard
Mannhai
Masters of Reality
Monster Magnet
Nebula
Orange Goblin
Queens of the Stone Age
Sleep
Spirit Caravan
Unida
Sixty Watt Shaman

masers of reality are a band i have been meaning to download for a while... cheers :)

Herbitt
18-09-04, 22:35
Dont thank me, thank google :p

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 22:54
hmm...

after reformating my PC a few days ago i am not stuck...

apparently kazaa lite now charge a subscription fee... anyone got an install file?

i had it on my old system but now cant find an installer file

kin
18-09-04, 23:00
For that stuff, I am into:

Kyuss
Orange Goblin
Fu Manchu
Sleep
Eletric Wizard
and Eternal Elysium. Not too much, but great bands.

Slayer
Metallica
Type o Negative
deicide
sulpultara
pentera
any norg death metal band None of these are death metal bands, exept really old Sepultura.

Ch1n Th3 M4g
18-09-04, 23:24
wait u all for got PRIMUS!!!!
not really stoner rock but are stoner funk

my favs are
QOTSA
primus
kyuss
brant bjork
mark lanagan
masters of reality
natas
sgt sunshine <-- would recomend to anyone!!

small but effective list of bands!

Jesterthegreat
wait u all for got PRIMUS!!!!
not really stoner rock but are stoner funk

my favs are
QOTSA
primus
kyuss
brant bjork
mark lanagan
masters of reality
natas
sgt sunshine <-- would recomend to anyone!!

small but effective list of bands!

ch1n mate? you got a copy of the kazaa lite installer? lol

james_finn
kazaa lite ............. for......... uhum........ pr0n?

Delphi

Ch1n Th3 M4g
18-09-04, 23:27
na jest i use soul seek
kazzar just pisses me off

Genty
18-09-04, 23:27
It really frustraits me when music gets over sorted into too many groups.....would be much simpler to just sort it into 2 different piles. One for the good stuff, rest for the popular stuff.

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 23:29
kazaa lite ............. for......... uhum........ pr0n?

Delphi

no... i had a folder with 8 Gb of *not* pr0n before i reformatted...

:angel:

Ch1n Th3 M4g
18-09-04, 23:30
It really frustraits me when music gets over sorted into too many groups.....would be much simpler to just sort it into 2 different piles. One for the good stuff, rest for the popular stuff.

isent the popular stuff the shit stuff though :p
i found that going back 2 good groups roots
u find another path 2 a good band ;)

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 23:31

thing is... if i just said rock i would get suggestions varying from metalica to blink 182... niether of which i would listen to :p

:edit: and if i said "good stuff" i would have half the server suggestin rap or something... and it would end up in an arguement as to what is "good stuff" :p

Genty
18-09-04, 23:34
isent the popular stuff the shit stuff though :p

My point :D

i found that going back 2 good groups roots
u find another path 2 a good band ;)

Yeah,
QOTSA -----back-----> Kyuss
TMV -----back-----> ATDI -----forward-a-different-direction---> Sparta

:P

Ch1n Th3 M4g
18-09-04, 23:35
thing is... if i just said rock i would get suggestions varying from metalica to blink 182... niether of which i would listen to :p

:edit: and if i said "good stuff" i would have half the server suggestin rap or something... and it would end up in an arguement as to what is "good stuff" :p

true
u cant say somthing without some sob coming out saying some shit like
*thats bullshit bla bla bla*
but seeing as it will happen

we win !!!!!!!!!!AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH1111222223333

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 23:37
the only thing i liked about kazaa lite was that you could sort the files by estimated time to download, taking into account filesize / bandwidth / traffic etc

with soulseek ill have to guess and hope :p

Genty
18-09-04, 23:37

Thing is, before i saw this thread, if you said stoner rock to me I would have zero idea what the hell kind of music that is.

Jesterthegreat
18-09-04, 23:44
soulseek sucks...

it only uploads one file from each person at a time and the max i could get is 10kb/s. it has a small selection of files too!

ill keep looking for kazaa lite i think

Spermy
19-09-04, 00:07
Ugly kid joe.

As for P2p - I use warezP2p client - even comes up with similar music to what you wanna d/l - thats how i discovered a lot of cool choons!

And winmx

Kazass is pretty self explanatory

ASS I SAY! ASS!

darknessfairy
19-09-04, 00:29
jest get your ass on msn, i have a pressie for you...

OpTi
19-09-04, 00:32
hmm...

after reformating my PC a few days ago i am not stuck...

apparently kazaa lite now charge a subscription fee... anyone got an install file?

i had it on my old system but now cant find an installer file

a number of sites are attempting to charge for the kazaa lite codec packs now even tho they are completely free o_O. AFAIK kazaa lite was always free and would be wary of any site that attempted to charge, as they are probably charging for somethign completely different.

was this OT? i havent got a clue :wtf: oh well

KeithMyath
19-09-04, 05:22
Gah, I don't want to complain, but no one has mentioned Tool, Eagles of Death Metal, or The Desert Sessions (vol. 1 - 10). Also check out Nick Olivieris baby: Mondo Generator. Shit yeah!

*Pollyyyyy wants a crack rock
Pollyyyyyyyy's on the wrong block*

and1guy
19-09-04, 06:12
i know a bunch of stoners.. they like sublime..

NS_CHROME54
19-09-04, 07:30
Everclear comes to mind...

and Audioslave for some reason...

Endar
19-09-04, 07:50
Ok first, dont EVER touch a thing like Kazaa (lite). Grap your self a BitTornado for anime, games & movies. Then for music and other stuff, download ShareAza (also supports bittorrent files) or DC++. Other programs are not usually worth even looking at.

And I dont have any idea what stoner rock is, but is Queens of the Stone Age really stoner rock? Well I dont know but you might want to try Radiohead and Muse. Well those are not really rock but you might like em anyway.

KeithMyath
19-09-04, 10:09
Stoner rock sounds like mario feels when he grabs a star, smoot sailing.

Songs I would download if I were you:

Desert Sessions - Polly wants a crack rock
- Punk Rock Caveman
- Subcutaneous Plant

Eagles Of Death Metal - Speaking in Tongues
- So Easy
- Flames go Higher

Right,

Judge
19-09-04, 14:10
I dunno.... I would kinda thing of Stoner Rock as anything which is a little more chilled out than your average metal and stuff.... Going by that description you might want to try out 'And you will know us by the trail of the dead', normally shortened to 'Trail of the Dead' who on their album 'Source Tags and Code' actually have a song called 'Another morning stoner'.... so stonerness is built right in!

SorkZmok
19-09-04, 14:40
Kyuss
QOTSA
Masters of Reality ("live at the viper room" is one of the best live albums ive ever heard)
Desert Sessions (all of em)
Fu Mancho
Nebula
Monster Magnet (mostly the old stuff)
Unida (with John Garcia from Kyuss)
Slo Burn (also with John Garcia from Kyuss)
Hermano (and again John Garcia from Kyuss)
7 Zuma 7
Spiritual Beggars
Acid Kings
Atomic Bitchwax
Mushroom River Band
Lowrider
Screaming Trees
Melvins
Mudhoney ("superfuzz bigmuff", also a bit OT but a great album)
Alabama Thunderpussy
Smoke Blow (german band, might be hard to find songs)
Demon Cleaner
Orange Goblin
Tight bros from way back when

Thats all i can think of right now. :)

boombang
19-09-04, 15:42
I dunno.... I would kinda thing of Stoner Rock as anything which is a little more chilled out than your average metal and stuff.... Going by that description you might want to try out 'And you will know us by the trail of the dead', normally shortened to 'Trail of the Dead' who on their album 'Source Tags and Code' actually have a song called 'Another morning stoner'.... so stonerness is built right in!

its called post rock BTW. Its merely deconstructed rock.

Real stoner rock makes you want to gurn slightly and nod your body, even when not intoxicated. Post rock may well be assoc. with stoners, buts its more about getting so mashed you can't move and passing out whilst humming to Mogwai etc.

i know a bunch of stoners.. they like sublime..
O_o

Stoner rock is generally done in low C tuning, and ranges from the more commercial (QOTSA) with lots of riffs, to funkier stuff like older BB and Mondo.

There are loads of other bands classified as stoner when in reality they have far more in common with psychadelic blues based 3 piece bands... like Colour Haze.

Try http://www.stonerrock.com/

Herbitt
19-09-04, 16:51
C tuning, fat strings, fuzzy distortion is what would be part of the stoner rock genre

OmegaVII
20-09-04, 03:12

ack damn thee judge i was gonna sudgest trail of the dead, both souce tags and codes(winner of the most boring album cover of 2002, i kid thee not) and there self title album are great, have yet to find a copy of madonna :( .

And the have been in the studio recently and have a new album to come out some time around late 2004/early 2005.

And i too fail to see the link with this music and getting baked, for some reason my and my mates tend to opt for something more funky and upbeat like some ska; subline ,LTJ, captain everything ect ..... or some primus if were realy going for it, and try to sing along to tommy the cat :D during which much hillarity ensues.

and i must say mondo rocked when i saw there set at reading this year, although nick and his lack of clothing was slightly scary.

ShadowStriker
20-09-04, 05:26
wuts a stoner?
and whats this rock thing you speak of?