PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a webpage thingie question -

Heavyporker
18-09-04, 03:19
Is the windows font "terminal" a common one on the 'net?

I'm asking because I'm finally getting around to setting up a NC site...

At first mainly a second place to get the RP stories that I consider quite good - you know, Delmann, Jest, me... :D

I might actually get around to putting up NC data as well, you know, something to help the noobs. Yup, you guys know when I was around to coach you in your early days :P

NS_CHROME54
18-09-04, 03:24
i actually don't know the answer to that one.

but if you need help, don't hesitate to ask. i'm a full time web designer, and i'd love to help design a neocron site

MkVenner
18-09-04, 03:27
couldnt you put the text as an image sorta thing?

Lexxuk
18-09-04, 03:32
no, its not, there is a way for you to intergrate the font into yuor webpage so its downloaded by the person viewin though, but its too early in the mornin for me to remember, and I'm goin bed now :p

Heavyporker
18-09-04, 03:32
The text as an image?!?

Wouldn't that get unholy huge in terms of filesize/loadtime?

MkVenner
18-09-04, 04:05
dunno lol

NS_CHROME54
18-09-04, 04:07
couldnt you put the text as an image sorta thing?

if there are a 7 deadly sins of web design, one of them is putting all your text into one huge blocky image. no good.

MkVenner
18-09-04, 04:09
hehe guess not then lol

Underground
18-09-04, 04:10
if there are a 7 deadly sins of web design, one of them is putting all your text into one huge blocky image. no good.

second one would be frames without getting rid of the fugly default colour and width :p

Then theres the tards that use yellow fonts on white backgrounds for example.

or those REALLY DAMN ANNOYING cursors that have shit following them around the screen.

NS_CHROME54
18-09-04, 04:14
of course the WORST thing you can do is use neon animated gifs as background images. granted, ANYTHING neon is worthy of being destroyed, even if you have to take an eraser to the harddisk. and animated gifs are rarely a good choice.

and using dreamweaver/frontpage is also. (ironically my job requires me to use dreamweaver, that doesn't mean i have to like it)

naimex
18-09-04, 04:16

yes it is.....

If you make it the proper format... and the right size.. and with the right program.. and have a good webhost.. and expect your target group to have a dsl connection as minimum, then you can easily use images for everything and it will still load in less than a second

NS_CHROME54
18-09-04, 04:28
yes it is.....

If you make it the proper format... and the right size.. and with the right program.. and have a good webhost.. and expect your target group to have a dsl connection as minimum, then you can easily use images for everything and it will still load in less than a second

ok. or you can use text and have the same results without all those conditions.

Heavyporker
18-09-04, 04:33
I promise - no neon (in anything that's not pepper park related, anyway), no cursor frillies, no eye-bleed color clashes, and such. I mean, I'm a noob, but I'm not some sadistic bastard.

I been web-surfing since I was crawling (well.. figuratively).

I know what I like.

Underground
18-09-04, 06:14
I been web-surfing since I was crawling (well.. figuratively).

I hope that doesent mean since last friday night 8|

athon
18-09-04, 10:44
I would include relying on particular fonts to be installed among the deadly sins. And AFAIK font embedding is basically a feature invented by Microsoft for IE, and certainly can't be relied upon as in any case clients can ignore it if they wish.

Personally I wouldn't include using Dreamweaver - it's a lot better than many of the HTML editors available.

Athon Solo

Lexxuk
18-09-04, 13:42
I use Dreamweaver for WYSIWYG and Ultra Edit for hand codin stuff, aint found anything that can compete with them two, cept maybe caffine

WarBrain
18-09-04, 16:23
That font is not a standard so dont use it unless u use flash...
And please dont embed fonts in html pages - that plain sucks.

You could use Images, but since u are not experienced web designer i dont recommend it. (many good design sites use images for text and are fast as if they used plain text - optimization)
In the attachment u can see a block of text with only 3Kb :eek:

My suggestion - use Images for Titles, menu, etc then use standard Arial/Helvetica for all the text... simple ;)

[TgR]KILLER
18-09-04, 16:54
yea it aint a standard font.. well i don't have it on this comp :x always use verdana myself :p

BaDDaSS
18-09-04, 17:09
Follow naimex and my example ... go work for neocron2.org :D

hehe

btw, Verdana is the font of lurrrrve.
I couldnt live without my Verdana

NS_CHROME54
18-09-04, 21:09
yes verdana has always been my font of choice also.

Heavyporker
22-09-04, 00:15
Well crap. I was hoping I could use terminal as a default font for my Fan Fiction section of my homepage, because that font + red text color + black background = teh win. I like it so much I'm calling it Datacube... ^ ^

Think I could still get away with it if I designate a secondary font to load if the user doesn't have terminal?