PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from a researcher?

Jonax
14-09-04, 17:05
First things first, Blue Star Researching (http://www.icybluestar.co.uk) may be closing temporarily at any time this week - The reason is because I'm trying to finish the preparations for uni before I leave on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be back when I've got my access to the uni network some time next week (hoping Monday :D)

Anyway, while that's happening I'm taking the opportunity to overhaul BSR, the site & the business. The question I have is about the service you get for research - If you could get what you want from a researcher, what would it be?

Fact is that I don't like to be grouped with the researcher alts of players or those who see researching as a "high cash for little work" profession - I actually enjoy being a researcher and helping others with rare parts & blueprints. Which is why I want to know what you guys would want :)

Here are some of the things that have been done, and have been planned for the overhaul:
Simple site without the flashy crap, makes it easier to find things - Done
Blunt & honest explanations of how BSR works - Done Q&A for answering popular questions - Done (though the request to come to NC still comes up a lot ;)
Guestbook to put comments & testimonials in - Planned A PHP-driven calculator to work out the price of a job with BSR - Planned (I need to learn a bit of PHP for that first :))
A MySQL/PHP-driven blueprint library to display what BPs can be ordered - Planned (I need to learn a LOT more PHP for this :D)
Forums for queries but also for business outside the game, to include private areas for "returning customers" to place orders to be done when I'm next in the game - Planned
Guide to researching so customers know all about it (The NC1 was actually almost done in conjunction with FN at SynergyX, but it now needs to be updated to NC2 & DoY when I have the time)
Offices in Tech Haven & Dome of York to act as bases of operations (Bought the TH one, just need to raise the cash for the furniture. Waiting until DoY ones come out)

Only question is what else can I do to better your experiences of research? :confused:

I'm asking for serious input, but only for the next 24 hours - After that, knock yourself out with hijacks and spam ;)

Siygess
14-09-04, 17:16
I probably skipped over this and you've already mentioned it, but fixed pricing is good, as is a catalogue. See this (http://www.freewillstation.net/kbb.htm) for an example.. it dates back to the days when my PE used to research..

greendonkeyuk
14-09-04, 17:20
ok one question only, well no sorry 2, number 1 the fa faction specific items? i presume they will be included and available for purchase as and when needed. The second, you talk of identified rare parts yet i cant find a database/list of whats available. Is this going to be a service offered by blue star? Never used your site until now but ive gotta say i really do like it.

In the words of one of uranus true legendary tanks....

Stay Frosty.

Jonax
14-09-04, 17:24
ok one question only, well no sorry 2, number 1 the fa faction specific items? i presume they will be included and available for purchase as and when needed. The second, you talk of identified rare parts yet i cant find a database/list of whats available.

1. I have no idea of what the items will end up being as there's the small problem of not being able to raise FA symph unless I gank enemy runners (and I don't usually do it anyway ;)), and KK might change the items before retail anyway ;) Come retail when I can have a look at them, I'll start setting charges on them.
2. I don't sell identified rare parts - I research clients' rare parts as a service. There isn't much on that yet as I haven't found a suitable rigid pricing scheme for the service yet, but hopefully I can find a decent pricing system soon.

Jonax
15-09-04, 00:14
Come on - I've heard some of the comments in the past about research but not all so let's hear them :p

Lexxuk
15-09-04, 01:14
without readin the actuall post bit, my answer is - the ability to research :p

Jonax
15-09-04, 01:25
my answer is - the ability to research :p

Everyone's a comedian :rolleyes:

Lexxuk
15-09-04, 02:25
Everyone's a comedian :rolleyes:

true, and there is one in every village <3