PDA

View Full Version : The core of a good MMORPG.

Seven
14-09-04, 08:33
I was reading about an upcoming game and no it's not the one we can't mention nor is it anything like Neocron. :)
I feel that Neocron would probably be one of the best MMORPG's out there if the people making the big decisions had the mindset that games are supposed to be fun, not a chore or something that upsets you on a weekly basis.

Make the game fun and treat people fair. That's all you need to get and keep customers. The money will come, no need to play silly games and word wars.

This is what the author wrote.

“Part of making a fun game includes knowing what is not fun to most people and making sure it has no place in your game”

When creating a game, one of the ‘musts’ on the top of any list is to ensure that the game is fun. No fun means no players and that translates to a colossal waste of time and money.

‘Fun’ was one word that kept jumping up during a booth visit at E3 with the development team for ****** pending massively multiplayer online game, *********. The tour guides at the May event made certain that everyone knew that ‘fun’ was paramount on the game designer’s lists when crafting this game.

Benjie
14-09-04, 08:36
But Neocron is fun. It's just the fun is limited after 2+ years and the engine is somewhat buggy.

Dirk_Gently
14-09-04, 13:20
But Neocron is fun.

Parts of Neocron are fun.

System
14-09-04, 13:33
I have fun, I still get pissed off everyday due to bugs and runners, but in the end most the time its fun.

MkVenner
14-09-04, 13:44
i enjoy it still :p, neocron ruined me tho, ive tried almost all of the big named MMOs and most of the little one and none of them grab me lol. Neocron is the only game thats been able to keep me, that and project entropia but thats just coz i got alot of friends in it

Benjie
14-09-04, 15:15
and project entropia but thats just coz i got alot of friends in it
Thats because you lost loads of money in it and you refuse to walk away without making a profit. :p

MkVenner
14-09-04, 15:27
hehe, pretty much :p

Clownst0pper
14-09-04, 15:47
Loming isnt fun

Impairment isnt fun

Fighting against PPU's isnt fun

Lag isnt fun

Parashock isnt fun

Soul Light isnt fun

My, neocrons a barrel of laughs

Benjie
14-09-04, 15:55
Sadly, all of those issues have been raised by the community, but Reakktor do not listen. It makes me so angry that this game could be 50x more fun if they would just LISTEN TO US! :mad:

Loming isnt fun
It used to be a long time ago, before reakktor decided to make them evil. Remove SI, there is no point to it and it screws over people with lmited playtime. The XP loss should be the deterrent and the penalty.

Impairment isnt fun
Pointless time sink. What is it supposed to be, roleplay? I would only consider supporting this for Gen Rep teleportation and death, which was how it was planned originally.

further decrease the effectivness of foreign cast shelter and deflectors. Make it so a PPU effects the outcome of a battle, not determins it. That is after all the true role of a support class.

Lag isnt fun
I don't get lag.

Parashock isnt fun
Parashock is horrid! Why can't Reakktor see this?

Soul Light isnt fun
Being replaced with more dependance on sympathy apparently.

Of course we are only flogging a dead horse here. Reakktor why don't you LISTEN TO US! :mad:

Jesterthegreat
14-09-04, 16:01
Parts of Neocron are fun.

i have yet to play an MMORPG that is fun 100% of the time.

the end game of NC is fun provided there arent too many PPU's and there are a nice amount of enemies :)

ezza
14-09-04, 16:09
Loming isnt fun

Impairment isnt fun

Lag isnt fun

Parashock isnt fun

Soul Light isnt fun

yup yup yup yup yup yup

though amount of lomming i do i must just be a sucker for punishment

Radamez
14-09-04, 16:13
Without the bad, you cannot enjoy the good.

Without struggle, there is no progress.

For example, If you didn't have to grind your way through leveling, you would not value your character, or have become attached to it in any way. Hence making the game less immersive.

Going out on a friday night is so much more rewarding if you've had a hard weeks work as opposed to doing fuck all.

See what i'm getting at?

Benjie
14-09-04, 16:16

For example, If you didn't have to grind your way through leveling, you would not value your character, or have become attached to it in any way. Hence making the game less immersive.

Going out on a friday night is so much more rewarding if you've had a hard weeks work as opposed to doing fuck all.

See what i'm getting at?
Not one bit.
The moment I appriciate an Fatal Runtime Error for making me thankfull of the times when I am not getting Fatal Runtime Errors, shoot me. Same goes for being parashocked and lomming.

Clownst0pper
14-09-04, 16:37
Why cant they just remove impairment from loms? Its so fucking annoying.

the XP loss stops you from abusing it, yet you force us to wait hours for the end result.

OH THE FUN

Seven
14-09-04, 17:55

See what i'm getting at?

Yep, I do see, that's why losing 90% of two years work and paying more money for it isn't fun.

Dirk_Gently
14-09-04, 20:58
If that which cannot be mentioned wasn't totally crap, if there were any other half decent FPS style mmorpgs about then I wouldn't be playing Neocron.

There is no realistic competition so KK don't think that they need to change/fix things. In my case they are right I'm still here paying my money after a couple of years and they haven't changed any of the things I hate about the game.

Wish there was competiton. :(

Radamez
14-09-04, 21:23
Ok people talking about bugs etc - What I said was in reference to game design/concept, and that it can't all be fun, fun, fun.

Yes bugs and badly implemented features aren't fun and there's no satisfaction to be gained from dealing with them. That's a seperate matter.

-=Daz=-
17-09-04, 21:32
Loming isnt fun

Impairment isnt fun

Lag isnt fun

Parashock isnt fun

Soul Light isnt fun

lmao, dude y do u play this game? :lol:

Jesterthegreat
17-09-04, 21:33
lmao, dude y do u play this game? :lol:

same reason i do i guess... theres nothing comparible and im addicted :p

:edit: if it was a genre full of high quality games it would be a different matter (and an even smaller playerbase)

-=Daz=-
17-09-04, 21:39
yeah i know wat you mean its just, i know this game has its flaws..... but clown seems to really hate this game :eek:

Jesterthegreat
17-09-04, 21:46
yeah i know wat you mean its just, i know this game has its flaws..... but clown seems to really hate this game :eek:

i believe he has posted his leaving thread (hes still here as he is still a paying customer)

and depending on how many crashes / bugs / deaths we get... we all hate the game :p

joran420
17-09-04, 22:35
ummm afaik they removed the XP penalty from LOMs :P

I think the synaptic is good...i just wish it could stack

Jesterthegreat
17-09-04, 22:43
ummm afaik they removed the XP penalty from LOMs :P
o_O

I think the synaptic is good...i just wish it could stack
o_O

joran420
17-09-04, 23:10
i was lommin in NC2 beta and i didnt lose a single XP
I think it should be rather time consuming to totally remake char....while minor tweaks can be done in 15-20 mins

[edit] rofl and why dont u link to that interview i think it sounds like u just made that up....I have yet to see a MMO that doesnt have any grind or at least a few things that are not fun....NC gives me much more enjoyment than any other MMORPG(and ive played pretty much all the major ones)