PDA

View Full Version : Do you find it reasonable to get SL penalty even if you only defend yourself?

ArgieD
13-09-04, 13:51
The other day I was just levelling my PSI down in Plaza 1 Aggies, minding my own business (no kill stealing etc), when all of a sudden, a playful chap thought of trying to kill me while I was on the infamous "droner's limbo".

As soon as I noticed something was attacking me, I dropped my drone (nowhere near where my spy was standing), asked him quickly to "stop", and after he carried on attacking me, I hit him only a couple of times with a PB drone to make sure that I didn't kill him; in case he was playfighting. Unfortunately, he didn't stop and left me with no other option but finishing him off.

That he was of a hostile faction combined with the fact that he attacked first did not matter at all; I got a negative SL, being really close to be hunted by Copbots as soon as I went upstairs and had to "rest" in my appartment for a couple of hours.

My question is: Is this fair?

PS. I know that sewers and aggies are still classed as Neocron, but I was only defending myself....

Dribble Joy
13-09-04, 13:56
What constitutes defending yourself?
How does/would the game recognise it?
A player attacks you, you gain 'immunity' from SL, so you can kill him without penalty, so you shoot him, so he gains the same, a bit daft.
What if you are in a fight that you both want to be part in and you want revenge when you loose. again how would you engineer it so that it is fair and (primarily) cannot be exploited by gankers.

Personally I want the SL system removed and faction symp to be the key.

Jaffo
13-09-04, 13:58
i had thsi same prob on me pe wen a bd au and a crahn apu atacked me. sum how i killed them both and got red sl.

th sl system atm sux and needs to change especially if u get ur bad sl in self defence

hose187
13-09-04, 14:11
The reason you lost SL is because the aggy cellars are hunting zones. You always lose SL when killing another player in hunting zones.

Aside from that, just like DJ said, there's no way to implement that sort of system. If you're so concerned about the time needed to get back to green SL, just take the death. You'll only lose a few minutes worth of SI and the time it takes to find a poker.

ArgieD
13-09-04, 14:18
......If you're so concerned about the time needed to get back to green SL, just take the death. You'll only lose a few minutes worth of SI and the time it takes to find a poker.......

what about losing the drone I used initially whilst in limbo, the second drone which is launched for defense, and a third from my quickbelt (if not something else of higher value)?

Genty
13-09-04, 14:23
In the eyes on the law, murder is murder, even in self defence the punishment remains the same in the harsh cruel city of Neocron, where a dictator rules with a plasma fist of doom.

hivemind
13-09-04, 15:34
there's no way to implement that sort of system.
Bullshit. I can think of a few different ways to code something that would start when you get shot, check to see if that runner took damage from you, and suspend the SL system for, say, five minutes in regards to that runner.

If KK can't do this, I think they need new programmers or better code.

But neither of us really know unless we look at the code.

Clownst0pper
13-09-04, 16:07
Bullshit. I can think of a few different ways to code something that would start when you get shot, check to see if that runner took damage from you, and suspend the SL system for, say, five minutes in regards to that runner.

If KK can't do this, I think they need new programmers or better code.

But neither of us really know unless we look at the code.

There code seems a mine field.

They fix something, and it breaks something else.

Seems a never ending cycle!

LiL T
13-09-04, 21:50
when some one shoots you they should get flagged and you can kill them for the duration of the flagging with out loss I don't think that would be to hard

Ascension
13-09-04, 21:52
The reason you lost SL is because the aggy cellars are hunting zones. You always lose SL when killing another player in hunting zones.

Yeah.. Just a like all of DoY sectors are hunting zones.. oh wait thats wrong, they should be anarchy zones :rolleyes: :lol: so thats why I got bad Sl for killing reds :rolleyes:

LiL T
13-09-04, 22:06
Yeah.. Just a like all of DoY sectors are hunting zones.. oh wait thats wrong, they should be anarchy zones :rolleyes: :lol: so thats why I got bad Sl for killing reds :rolleyes:

My apu is -32 sl because of that thank god its still beta :rolleyes:

athon
13-09-04, 22:40
We had this type of 'retaliation only' system in cities on the UO shard I used to play on. It was highly exploitable in certain circumstances. Someone with no skill in hand to hand combat would go up to someone armored (armor is mostly visible in UO) and start punching them. Most people would retaliate at this. However, because the attacker had no hand to hand skill against an armored opponent, they wouldn't do any damage, and thus wouldn't be flagged. All the oriignal attacker has to do is shout 'guards' (calls the town guards in UO) and the person who thought they were retaliating would get insta-killed. Not nice.

Just one possible exploit in a retaliation only system.

Athon Solo

Nidhogg
13-09-04, 22:43
Keep it on this thread, please:

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=111322

N