PDA

View Full Version : 754 socked amd

Terayon
12-09-04, 20:40
well my bro git his amd 64 bit 300+ today... and it fell out of the package the guy shipped it in and bent 20 or so pins. me bro bent em all back and inserted it but a single pin wasent bent back right and it was bent way to far and when he tried to bend it back it broke off. so my question. what do you think the chances are that a 754 amd proccesor with 753 pins working will still work :D

i know some pins on my socked a are just pointles. infact i shorted 2 out just to unlock the fsb. but as to how many pins on a proc are pointless or unecisary i dont know. he just bought a new amd 64 so i could use this and just buy a board to go with it. wadda u think.

Glok
12-09-04, 20:46
I can almost 100% guarantee it won't work. If you are really really good with soldering and have a soldering iron with a suitably tiny tip you could try soldering a new pin on it though. :rolleyes:

Terayon
12-09-04, 20:58
solder a pin onto a 754?i dont think it can be done. though it is on the outside edge, i still don think so. besides he lost the pin. mmmmmm.

Glok
12-09-04, 21:21
Find a suitable piece of copper wire and cut it to length then. I don't think it can be done either, but otherwise it's just a useless piece of fiberglass and silicon. :lol:

Rith
12-09-04, 21:35
it will never ever ever ever ever work - you take a soldering iron to that baby and you'll have a hard time convincing anyone it was an "accident"... bye bye warranty.

send it back - damaged in the post - claim on warranty for a replacement.

[TgR]KILLER
12-09-04, 21:40
bye bye warranty.

send it back - damaged in the post - claim on warranty for a replacement.

well my bro git his amd 64 bit 300+ today... and it fell out of the package the guy shipped it in and bent 20 or so pins.

by the sound of that i don't think he has warranty to start with lol.

and if so many were pointless why do some procs have 1 more or 1 less.. if they were all pointless why would they be on it ? :/

but i think it won't ever work.. lol.. just buy a new one.. at a company that sends stuff in packages sealed and protected :/

athon
12-09-04, 22:32
Buy it from somewhere that leaves the CPU's packaged up next time maybe.

Every time I've ordered a CPU they come in a nice pack that makes it fairly hard for them to get damaged in transit (and certainly not allowing pins to be bent - I guess you might be able to if you got someone really fat to sit on it, but not normal transit).

dabs.com is usually good for quality of service and pricing. I get my AMD's OEM from there usually - should come in a nice clear plastic, with a heatsink and fan (the HS&F is OK, but the last one I got had one of those crappy little square pads of heat gel on the bottom - it's a bastard to get off if you ever need to change your HS&F for any reason).

Under UK law, if you're still within 7 (working?) days of ordering you could legally cancel the order. If the store you use is half way decent they should accept it as a return and ship you out a new one if you want it anyway (make sure you package the damaged one up nicely so that the shop knows which way it was damaged in transit! =D And of course ask them to package the next one up just as nicely).

Athon Solo

Glok
12-09-04, 22:34
The place I order from puts the processors in a plastic ZIF socket mockup. It is nearly impossible to bend pins without completely destroying the chip.

Ascension
12-09-04, 22:39
The place I order from puts the processors in a plastic ZIF socket mockup. It is nearly impossible to bend pins without completely destroying the chip.

yeah.. cos its totally secured. if you were to take a hammer to it im sure it would give way thought..

@ whoever mentioned dabs.. i ordered some earphones off there they were in a tiny package then in a box the size of a shoebox :p

Terayon
12-09-04, 22:49
mmm well i think there are lots of pins on it that have no real purpose. or do such a small thing it wouldent make a diffrence if it where removed. but i could be totaly wrong :P. he did get a nice deal though..... amd 64 3000+ with a neo mobo. 250$ (cdn). infact with the new cpu he bought he is getting the exact sameproblem but its his power supply. the 10 volt is nearly an entire volt below what it is suposed to be. and he happened to buy that power supply from the same guys who shipped me my damaged video card. and im still waiting ti get it becouse they shipped it ground after they told me to ship it priority back to them. lessons learned? hercules power suplies are terrable, and so are tiny asian computer stores based somewhere in california.

so in the past month nearly everything i have ordered through ebay came broken with tons of delays and terrable support with huge shipping costs. exept for my nice 21" trinitron i bought localy. i love this baby. k im done ranting.

BTW anyone know how risky it may be to test the cpu in a mobo? any chance of damage? i think i already know the answer but i would like someone elses opinion.

mmmm waffles....

Glok
12-09-04, 23:03
yeah.. cos its totally secured. if you were to take a hammer to it im sure it would give way thought..Customer: My processor is broken, I need it replaced please.
Tech Support: Was it damaged in shipping?
Customer: No, I accidentally hit it with a hammer.
Tech Support: You WHAT?

lol

Doc Holliday
12-09-04, 23:11
Customer: My processor is broken, I need it replaced please.
Tech Support: Was it damaged in shipping?
Customer: No, I accidentally hit it with a hammer.
Tech Support: You WHAT?

lol

Customer: hrhrhr
Techsupport: *thinks* ( he obviously plays neocron and took some dodgy advice of their forum about what to do ). Good day sir enjoy your purchase :angel:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terayon
13-09-04, 08:34
mmm well the mobo said the proccesor without one pin was fine..... the problem is the mobo. so if i can get a mobo that works im going to try it out :D 120$ for a amd 64 proc sounds like a deal.

NS_CHROME54
13-09-04, 08:42
isn't there a new P4 socket where the pins are actually part of the mobo, not the processor? you line the pins on the mobo up to the holes in the processor, which has somekind of grid thing inside it (i'm not an uber hardware pro, tho i can get around on my own). this probably does a LOT to prevent bent pins.

Terayon
13-09-04, 08:56
mmmm. to bad there isent anyway to protect against idiots. send a proccesor in foam and only tape 2 of the 4 sides..... the whole story shows more of what i mean. but i dont think anyone cares.

Genesis
13-09-04, 09:04
Should have sent it back, not bent it back... gotten a new one from warranty.

LiL T
13-09-04, 09:28
You try to solder it back on and you fry the chip completely anyway there sensitive to heat best thing to do is throw it in the bin :p

Agent L
13-09-04, 10:21
There exist unused pins in processor. Like the pins that tell mobo what freq and voltage to provide - these work simply as jumpers, being either hardwired (inside processor) to another pin or connected to nothing. If your brother was lucky enough to tear one of these pins - there are 2 possibilities:
1) This pin is set to bit 0 for this particular speed - it was never connected anywhere so tearing it changed nothing.
2) This pin is set to bit 1 - so it WAS connected somewhere but no longer is - this processor will work on changed speed (random over/underclock: ) or will tell mobo to supply wrong voltage.

If 2nd happened - you can correct it by hardwiring socket. This is usually done in 2 ways : either taking a uberthin wire, bending it in U and putting into socket holes (under processor) or by soldering piece of wire to the backside of mobo (where all socket pins are soldered).

As the u-wire mod depends on wire beind squished between socket latch and exisiting chip pin, only option you're left with is soldering mobo (which always is best way IMHO)

Courage !

Glok
13-09-04, 12:11
You try to solder it back on and you fry the chip completely anyway there sensitive to heat best thing to do is throw it in the bin :pNah, the pin is on the edge of the chip. It won't fry anything if he tries to solder it. If it was in the center on the other hand...

Terayon
13-09-04, 22:49
do they work like there is one imput and one output or more? are all pins that do somthing conected to eachother in some way? becouse if so i could test for resistance on every pin with the broken stub and check if it does anything.