PDA

View Full Version : City Mercs

Xylaz
12-09-04, 02:45
Can someone tell me the reason for CM loosing their most important enemy (BD) ??? TG was much less important faction-wise, yet they remain our only enemy?
What's about the NEXT epic now? Is it changed or do we still are known as the guys who deal with the 'black dragon scum'?
So now we are neutral to everyone but tg, though it means we will be attacked by all doy factions (TG allies) and we'll be loosing SL fighting them...

I just dont see any sense in this...

Another little questions
Why our faction office isnt a safezone??? (feature or bug?)
Why there are no psi vendors in MB? (feature or bug?)

I'm confused...

ah and one more thing - i assume PA are now buyable at "faction symp 90" guy at the faction office, right?

MkVenner
12-09-04, 02:48
yeah alot of us have been wondering that....but theres rumors of them removing SL...which would mean we can fight any of them....tho id prefer the clan wars system...

ezza
12-09-04, 02:57
well im off two minds about this.

one hand, its like mercs were always good fight for BD and vise versa.

however its a new time, neocron is changing, im sure there must be some story line reason for this shift in aligance.

personally i dont mind now being neutral to mercs, and like stated above i recon it should be all FS based since the good items are all FS based

Gotterdammerung
12-09-04, 03:56
yeah alot of us have been wondering that....but theres rumors of them removing SL...which would mean we can fight any of them....tho id prefer the clan wars system...

Whoa, slow down pardner.

Nobody anywhere from reakktor has said anything about removing sl for cm. A poster here made a thread yesterday with that suggestion but thats all. 1 post does not a rumor make so if you are holding your breath it's ok to breathe again.

MkVenner
12-09-04, 04:05
lol nah this was in game....or IRC...or in a dream mebbe...

it wasnt only for CM tho, and i couldnt see it myself...

LiL T
12-09-04, 04:09
Being ex TG and then moving to BD cos of frustrations in TG CM has allways been top of my list for the faction to attack don't know why but its allways been my worst enemy never have I had the time to talk to a CM in a normal way. Maybe its cos there just another proto faction a faction I truely hate there the worse allied killing mother fukers ever and they do it in warzones so they don't lose soulight. LOL people wonder why many in BD pked proto and crahn with out questions and it was because of a few dicks that pked at CRP and pked BD raiding CM or TG

Xylaz
12-09-04, 14:51
It will be a nightmare for everyone, not only CM but everyone who will dare to fight with us, because it will mean soullight loss for everyone...

TGs as a main DoY faction (which is wierd, tbh) are enemy for us, yet all other DoY factions are neutrals (they are TG allies...)??? How can that be possible??? What is the reason for BD and us changing their standings and went on neutral stance?

The longer i think of it, the more wierd it seems.

Herbitt
12-09-04, 14:54
CM's onnly enemy is TG, who are allied to the whole of DoY. If CM attacks TG its almost certain that another faction from DoY are gonna help their allies. Who's gonna stand around watching their allies die?

I dont understand why only TG are the enemy, maybe it will evolve from the storyline thats goin on at the moment.

MrChumble
12-09-04, 14:54
BD = KoS. I don't care if they're neutral. To be honest BD would be KoS whatever faction I was in, even BD :p

There's no conceivable reason CM would suddenly be neutral to BD. There's more chance of KK fixing drone bugs tbh.

Mr Kot
12-09-04, 15:14
Can someone tell me the reason for CM loosing their most important enemy (BD) ??? TG was much less important faction-wise, yet they remain our only enemy?

There is a lot of the storyline that we havent seen yet. Also, the new anti city epics reveal a lot of new information, particularly where it comes to faction relations. For example, Crahn has always been a sworn enemy of the Fallen Angels, ever since the angels escaped from their PSI monk captors in the days when they ruled Neocron. Further epic storylines reveal that the Angels carried out cruel experiments on captured PSI monks.

However, in NC2 the Brotherhood of Crahn has become neutral to the Fallen Angels. The reason for this is revealed in the first Crahn epic mission which i did yesterday on the Beta server.

So to answer your question about the neutrality between CM and BD, you will have to do one or both epics to find a clue there. Having said that, there may be a new storyline yet to be published in a future Neocronical, so all may be revealed......

Why there are no psi vendors in MB? (feature or bug?)

I suspect feature. Just like in the City and the Dome, the shops sell far fewer items now, and traders of particular wares are few and far between. The main reason for this, as has been stated by KK staff in the past, is to encourage more player to player trade and smuggling. PSI vendors do exist, but you have to look harder to find them. When you do, they only sell very basic spells. The different categories of spells (energy, fire, poison, support, defense, etc.) have been divided too and split amongst more vendors. These vendors are more scattered around, particularly in pepper park. I guess it's to keep people occupied by encouraging more of a "treasure hunt" as well as encouraging more player to player co-operation. There's always a help channel to ask for advice from those in the know. For high level spells, such as level 2 and 3 booster spells, high TL apu spells, beam spells, etc. u need to be a member of the Brotherhood with 90 sympathy. Again, u could always find such a person and do trade with him or her.

I must say, i like the way the game is going. It may be frustrating not being able to find the stuff u want, but it's only annoying because you know differently. It's like when your local supermarket moves all its stock around and you can't find anything any more. Yet somebody new to the game (or supermarket) wouldn't have a problem as they don't know any differently. Thats what MMORPGs are all about, trade and co-operation.

Agent L
12-09-04, 15:24
I think that CM vs TG hostility that is a mistake. If CM has to be a all-neutral faction, it should be neutral to absolutelly everybody.

maver!ck
12-09-04, 15:52
There's no conceivable reason CM would suddenly be neutral to BD.
That's a problem with many factions. I hope the upcoming storyline events and the neocronicle will explain more.

I think that CM vs TG hostility that is a mistake. If CM has to be a all-neutral faction, it should be neutral to absolutelly everybody.
I don't think so. Technically there has to be a single enemy, otherwise you would never be able to raise faction symp by fighting. Now, if you are below a level to do CM missions and want to become CM you need someone to kill to raise symp.

Jesterthegreat
12-09-04, 16:15
mercs are mercinaries... they need as much neutrals as possible.

winnoc
12-09-04, 17:21
The problem is, that if we get paid for an op fight, the next day we're kos to half the faction fromwhom we helped take the ops.

It will end up with cm being kos to everyone.

MkVenner
12-09-04, 17:36
ok in story mode, CMs SHOULD be neutral to all, they are after all mercs. But the limits in the game engine means that while being neutral, waht is practicly the most military oraganisation cant practicly BE mercs...

ezza
12-09-04, 17:44
The problem is, that if we get paid for an op fight, the next day we're kos to half the faction fromwhom we helped take the ops.

It will end up with cm being kos to everyone.
thats a problem people wont just accept that you were paid to do a job, its always personal.

you helped my enemies wtf!!!!1111 KOSKOSKOSKOS!!!

meh whatever

shame theres no bounty system where the mercs could take jobs of killing people with bountys on there heads(and i dont mean the chocolate bar :p )and there would be no SL loss like when you do epic kills

MkVenner
12-09-04, 17:47
i had an idea, what if on the citycom, a TT clan hires a CM clan to fight a BD clan. They put in all the names of the clans, plus the payment for the CMs plus 100k (just a number can be changed) thats goes to CM HQ. The cm clan now dont loose SL for fighting said BD clan for say a week. After which the payment goes to CM and the CM clan and SL gets restated

maver!ck
12-09-04, 18:25
Then I am sure there will be some between you and me, who will open up a second TT char just to claim to be hired and to peekay like hell.

MkVenner
12-09-04, 18:28
yeah but thats why there would be a heavy money thingy on it, and it would expire after say, 2 weeks, so it wouldnt be very economical

Radamez
12-09-04, 18:42
thats a problem people wont just accept that you were paid to do a job, its always personal.

you helped my enemies wtf!!!!1111 KOSKOSKOSKOS!!!

meh whatever

Yeh, agree here and it's a shame,

but if CM clans operate as mercenaries and not as powermongerers themselves, perhaps people will get used to it and the whole "hitman for hire" thing will thrive.

:edit: Hell, a hired CM clan comes to assist someone in taking your OP.. offer to double their pay-packet to fight on your side ;) it's all about the benjamins after all..

solling
12-09-04, 19:09
MAKE CM neutral to everyone including TG so they can move about nc and doy freely without being ganked would make a lot more sense

they are mercenaries their role is to be hired and then fight only fight cuz of money

Xylaz
12-09-04, 19:17
MAKE CM neutral to everyone including TG so they can move about nc and doy freely without being ganked would make a lot more sense

they are mercenaries their role is to be hired and then fight only fight cuz of money

what about SL loss then?

solling
12-09-04, 19:25
what about SL loss then?

u dont loose sl in a warzone
most time u can do ur buisness there

Clownst0pper
12-09-04, 19:42
Being ex TG and then moving to BD cos of frustrations in TG CM has allways been top of my list for the faction to attack don't know why but its allways been my worst enemy never have I had the time to talk to a CM in a normal way. Maybe its cos there just another proto faction a faction I truely hate there the worse allied killing mother fukers ever and they do it in warzones so they don't lose soulight. LOL people wonder why many in BD pked proto and crahn with out questions and it was because of a few dicks that pked at CRP and pked BD raiding CM or TG

You talk to koro normally on saturn :(

DigestiveBiscui
12-09-04, 19:46
this is why the war system should be implemented

i made a poll on the beta forum last week, but nid pwned it good

it was 48-1 in favour anyway lol

Clownst0pper
12-09-04, 19:55
it was 48-1 in favour anyway lol

I was the 1..

LOL JK :lol:

Dribble Joy
12-09-04, 22:16
BD was only CMs enemy because they needed a second hostile faction for the mercs, it's a somewhat (imo) tenuous relationship, a simple feud over an ex BD member, hardly a reason for all out war.
TG is hostile because CM have taken one too many jobs against them and they don't agree with their methods.

In theory Cm should be totally neutral, but that can't really happen.
As said, if we actually hire ourselves out as mercs, the recipients don't view it as business or the hiring clans actions but as a seperate attack by the mercs.

Unlike the rest of CM (as I have experienced so far), I have no desire to hold a large number of OPs or engage in a war with a faction/empire. My mission is to maintain some sort of peace at the MB and surrounding areas and to hold the closest OPs (rockshore, Jankins, sieger) as the traditional home territory they are.
Unfortunately, people are cunts, and I will never manage that.

ezza
12-09-04, 22:24
well DJ i think with NC2 you will find you will hold them, because pheonix mercs(former 101st and FLR) on saturn have held the NW ops for long time on saturn, they have the runners and in some cases the skill to hold them.

so as a merc you may find mercs on the rise(like pheonix from the ashes :p ya nibbish i know but wtf )

MrChumble
12-09-04, 22:33
BD was only CMs enemy because they needed a second hostile faction for the mercs, it's a somewhat (imo) tenuous relationship, a simple feud over an ex BD member, hardly a reason for all out war.
That may have been the original reason, but on all servers I've played on the Mercs and BD are mortal enemies. Where the storyline left off we filled in the rest, and BD will never be anything other than kos to my Merc chars :)

ezza
12-09-04, 22:35
so your going to be one of those lamers who are carrying wars over from NC1 to NC2 :rolleyes:

in that case mercs im down with all of you but this chumble character, so if you see me fighting the said person its nothing against mercs just some people wont let the past die

ive been fighting FA ever since i started yet im prepared to put all that behindme and start over with them

MrChumble
12-09-04, 22:53
so your going to be one of those lamers who are carrying wars over from NC1 to NC2 :rolleyes:
Neutral != allied. It's as logical to be at war with them as to be allied to them. The City Mercs are neutral, they have no prefered position. I'm sure the Eye won't worry too much about a few dead BD :p

ezza
12-09-04, 22:56
well it would be a shame to make the mercs unwelcome in the dome from the word go, but guess thats how its going to be

maver!ck
12-09-04, 23:09
yeah but thats why there would be a heavy money thingy on it, and it would expire after say, 2 weeks, so it wouldnt be very economical
huh? The CM clan who earned the money could give it back to the TT-clan who hired them. So there is no real money sink.

u dont loose sl in a warzone
most time u can do ur buisness there
how should someone gain CM faction symp if it is too low to raise with missions?

OMG man - this is a game!

but if CM clans operate as mercenaries and not as powermongerers themselves, perhaps people will get used to it and the whole "hitman for hire" thing will thrive.

Unlike the rest of CM (as I have experienced so far), I have no desire to hold a large number of OPs or engage in a war with a faction/empire. My mission is to maintain some sort of peace at the MB and surrounding areas and to hold the closest OPs (rockshore, Jankins, sieger) as the traditional home territory they are.
Unfortunately, people are cunts, and I will never manage that.
We tried that in the past. We stopped taking our own ops and seriously offered our services in several city faction meetings. Noone was interested. It was really frustrating. Also our enemies did not accept that we stopped fighting them and followed us into the MB.
Finally we got bored and started taking ops again. Maybe we can try to be real mercs again in NC2, but it's not up to me to decide that.

so your going to be one of those lamers who are carrying wars over from NC1 to NC2
I agree, it's lame. Also some of my clanmates seem to play that way in the beta. Hope we can really start over again.

MrChumble
12-09-04, 23:50
Omigod I'm being called lame. Kinda ironic cos every other breath someone seems to be calling me a carebear.

Oh well. I'm going NEXT anyway, so it's a bit easier to KoS BD.

I'm sure they'll KoS CM anyway, it'll be hard not to if CM are hostile to TG.

Glok
12-09-04, 23:53
Looks like my CM monk might have a hard time...

Dribble Joy
12-09-04, 23:55
The real problem that I am concerned with is... cirtain clans coming to CM and causing rifts, simply because they suddenly think that they run the show and expecting other mercs to help them in personal fights, and then 'denouncing' them when they don't.

Uranus CM is so split and fractured it's just mad.
The WC incident and all the other mindnumbingly stupid things that have happened has left CM devastated with only a few handful of players left.

Oh and Neutral != enemies either :rolleyes:.

BaDDaSS
13-09-04, 02:31

Agreed.

I think CM should be neutral to all. Theirs mercs ffs? :/

Glok
13-09-04, 03:02
The one thing that needs to be done to give Mercs their role is to eliminate SL for merc, but make faction sympathy more important. If a merc spends a lot of time helping anti city factions for example, he will go negative in pro city, and the (hopefully fixed) guards will attack.

djskum
13-09-04, 17:46
101st tried to RP as mercs a long time ago. The CMA was created to enable CM to RP as Mercs. Guess what? It failed miserably! Why? Fuck knows. Something to do with saturn being treated as an MMO-UT type server. I, for one, would be prepaired to try again. If the game mechanics allow it, then I'm game! CM have totally given up on RP on Saturn. Can only take a certain amount of shit TBH and if certain players and clans are determined that we fail then, we will fail.

I hope that NC2 will give us all the opportunity to make the game into what we always wanted.

DjSKum

Xian
13-09-04, 18:06
I would love just to work as a merc with Phoenix, but I know it won't happen. A few people will carry on some stupid war from NC1 and drag the whole faction down by being CM and going on stupid PKing runs, or KoSing us for no reason other than old fights.

Plus, anybody who fights us after we accept a contract on them will get half their faction to put us on KoS.

craio
13-09-04, 19:07
I originally thought that TG were supposed to be the anti-city counterparts of CM ,but the fact that CM is allied to doy in NC1 and neutral to all the doy based factions kinda throws that idea to shreds.

The biggest issue raised is the way people respond to mercs, they tend not to look at us like mercs but just like another faction. Who knows what kk might do to the zones, you never know that the zones in which sl can be affected will still change. i doubt that they just said 'we'll make them neutral to everyone -except tg- and see whatever comes from it' atleast thats what i hope... allthough there arent any sings of it in beta..

Maybe make it so that when a clan/faction hires a CM clan the clantag no longer just shows the name of the CM clan but shows the name of the one hiring instead maybe followed by the initials of the CM clan.
Allthough people still wouldn't see it like mercs, fighting for whoever has the most cr's to give.

ezza
13-09-04, 19:43
TBH and if certain players and clans are determined that we fail then, we will fail. its sad that some people would set out to do this :(

djskum
13-09-04, 22:41
its sad that some people would set out to do this :(

I've seen it happen mate. And I agree its fucking sad! I hope there will be no place for them in NC2...

DjSKum

Rith
13-09-04, 23:10
its sad that some people would set out to do this :(

amen

another reason why I'm all in favour of a "hardcore" server - although, I expect most of the wankers who would try this would find a hardcore server frustrating and end up back on mainstream servers.

Samhain
13-09-04, 23:18
Runner vendettas != storyline. CM's faction alignment changes have nothing to do with your desire to make yourself feel important by maintaining a KOS list. Also, you're a runner - that's actually a pretty low position when you consider the guards are much much stronger than you and you've got all sorts of other NPCs carrying shit out int he faction. The fighting between runners is more akin to kids fighting and not getting along, while parents can have friendships or hostility independant of what the little brats are fighting about.

I think it's part of the storyline.

HINT:

Bomb on TG. From DoY? TG still allied with DoY? Only faction hostile to City Mercs is the one who got a bomb dropped on them from what SEEMS like the people they are supposed to ally with?