PDA

View Full Version : MERGED - Quake Iv

Opar
11-09-04, 10:31
I just cracked open my new PC Zone that just popped throught he letterbox. Front cover.

QUAKE IV
8 pages on id's next masterpiece.
Doom 3 was just a warm-up...

And the screenshot shown, all I can say is. WOW. It continues the storyline of Quake 2, Multiplayer game that picksup where Quake 3 left off, and its being developed by both Raven Software *AND* id Software. Published by Activision.

Im still flicking through now. It says 'Instead of scaring you, we're going all out to deliver a fast-paced adrenalin rush of combat'. sex :p

The more i look at these screens, I see that it look a HELL of a lot better than Doom 3.

This is amazing @_@

viscious666
11-09-04, 10:44
holy crap! lol, i was one of the biggest fans of one, 2 was alright, 3 lost me, lets see wat 4 does =P

Benjie
11-09-04, 10:55
http://www.planetquake.com/images/photo/big/potd-09-09-04-big.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_01.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_02.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_05.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_25.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_27.jpg
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_18.jpg

Opar
11-09-04, 10:58
http://www.geocities.com/aragorn_39th/unf/

:D :D :D

Benjie
11-09-04, 11:13
http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_07.jpg

http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_06.jpg

http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_13.jpg

http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/57/Downloads/quake4_17.jpg

athon
11-09-04, 11:19
Quake IV isn't being made by id.

Athon Solo

Agent L
11-09-04, 11:30
Id will never get close to feeling of Doom1&2 and Quake.

naimex
11-09-04, 11:37
Quake 4 - was scheduled 26th december 2004 Last I heard of it.. Think it was 2-3 months ago...

Loooked really cool, had a mech on the front cover of the box.

Benjie
11-09-04, 11:42
Id will never get close to feeling of Doom1&2 and Quake.
Because... Pure pessimism?

Benjie
11-09-04, 11:53
I must admit, I do miss this.

http://www.denken.com/dzone/screenshots/q1shot104.jpg

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:02
How do u delete posts??? ffs

Genty
11-09-04, 13:07
Wish people would quit making new versions of old classics and start making some actually genre breaking (or making) material that may be remembered for more than being just one in a long line of same games.

Originality > Sequels.

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:09
Face facts, ID doesnt have a sense of scale, all their environments feel cramped & enclosed, & their level designs for Q4 only further their outdated game designs, Doom3 even worse, hundreds of miniature matchbox sized rooms, with no space for gameplay, or running around.

Also the Gothic look went out ages ago, bring it upto date already ffs, decent looking monsters who dont look like the backside of a Hunchback wld also be nice...

The gameplay in Doom3 ruined by the crappy interior, wanna see decent well designed layouts, see the Unreal 1 or 2 or any of the Tournie series, hell any other shooter out there, only ID keeps churning out the same badly designed gameplay & interiors, Doom3 shld have bombed to give ID a good kick in the ass...

Only reason 10xtimes more ppl play CS & UT more then quake 3 outdated gameplay & incompetent level design. In comparison UT's addictive as crack...
CS & UT both have wide spacious interiors & landscapes in UT3...

& no im not gonna mention the MOH & other war crap for middle aged farts...

Opar
11-09-04, 13:09
Quake IV isn't being made by id.

Athon Solo

Its been developed by id AND Raven....

MrChumble
11-09-04, 13:11
Why did you create a new thread for this and not post it in the other Quake IV thread? O_o

SilentEye
11-09-04, 13:13
Please continue this in the original thread here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=111004).

Closed.

N

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:25
silenteye you cant close a thread unless your an admin freakin noob.. adding the word closed won't do it lmao :lol:

SilentEye
11-09-04, 13:31
Maybe your brains ARE that dumb... But I was acting like Nidhogg!

Look at the damn "N" at the end.

Now, who's the noob? noob!

Ryuben
11-09-04, 13:32
silenteye you cant close a thread unless your an admin freakin noob.. adding the word closed won't do it lmao :lol:
owned

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ezza
11-09-04, 13:37
last time i heard mod impersination was a bannable offence

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:39
dmn cant you delete posts in this forum?

Dajuda
11-09-04, 13:40
last time i heard mod impersination was a bannable offence

Ya i think it is. Doom3 was suppose to feel you feel cramped and enclosed, and I'd say judging from your post it worked.

Nidhogg
11-09-04, 13:41
Thread merged.

N

/edit - leave the moderation to us, eh?

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:45
Dajuda even to the detriment of gameplay? most modern shooters've learned not to annoy the crap out of players by placin giant boxes in the middle of a room, which is what Doom3 basically is & ID's gamedesign consists of...

Benjie
11-09-04, 13:47
leave the moderation to us, eh?
You said that to me via PM when I brought forward the very important issue of spam on the open beta forums. I sincerely hope it does not become your new catchphrase. I like to believe that when there is a genuine issue on the forums, that we can bring it forward to the moderators without having to worry about slimey comments like that.

Why has nobody commented on my linkage? I spent ages trying to find those shots on the internet! :p
Does anybody else have anything to share?

Nidhogg
11-09-04, 13:51
You said that to me via PM when I brought forward the very important issue of spam on the open beta forums. I sincerely hope it does not become your new catchphrase.
I might introduce some variation into it, like, "piss off and stop telling me how to do my job", or "4) You may not impersonate any NEOCRON Customer Support representative or other employee of Reakktor Media - banned". I've not decided yet. BTW, the irony of being told that I should be stricter by someone who is about one edit from a permanent ban was not lost on me.

N

Conduit
11-09-04, 13:53
Face facts, ID doesnt have a sense of scale, all their environments feel cramped & enclosed, & their level designs for Q4 only further their outdated game designs, Doom3 even worse, hundreds of miniature matchbox sized rooms, with no space for gameplay, or running around.

Also the Gothic look went out ages ago, bring it upto date already ffs, decent looking monsters who dont look like the backside of a Hunchback wld also be nice...

The gameplay in Doom3 ruined by the crappy interior, wanna see decent well designed layouts, see the Unreal 1 or 2 or any of the Tournie series, hell any other shooter out there, only ID keeps churning out the same badly designed gameplay & interiors, Doom3 shld have bombed to give ID a good kick in the ass...

Only reason 10xtimes more ppl play CS & UT more then quake 3 outdated gameplay & incompetent level design. In comparison UT's addictive as crack...

1) Quake 4 is being made by Ravensoft, with a little help from ID.

2) Ravensoft have made some classic first person shooters like Hexan, Heratic, Soldier of Fortune, Elite Forces and Jedi knight, and as a rule their level design is very good.

3) Have you played it? That's right, you haven't.

4) Get a freaking clue

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 13:55
[ edited - I said leave it to me ]

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 14:06
I HAVE seen the level designs, hence my well formed & VERY clued repose, yep loox like Raven is developing, but with a clear agenda & what looks like Very close input by ID, hence the same cramped enclosed environments..

Wots with the attitude btw? I need to get a clue? 'cos judging by the level designs 2 year old shooters ie UT STILL have better designed gameplay then quake will have, even if its being devoloped by a different developer, go look em up for yourself if you want.

Learn to argue the point.. :o

SilentEye
11-09-04, 14:07
[ edited ]

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 14:10
lol wot dont you understand silenteye? lmao... :rolleyes:

SilentEye
11-09-04, 14:21
I understand it all just perfectly... But since you got an edit, I thought I'd get one too!

Niddy, :( You make me so sad :(

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 14:27
[ edited ]

MrChumble
11-09-04, 14:28
Edit: n/m

SilentEye
11-09-04, 14:49
[ edited ]

Oh my god? Can you not read the sarcastic manner? Damn dude I was joking!
Go to the Newbie forum :p

athon
11-09-04, 14:59
AFAIK the 'id' part of the partnership is maybe some help engine wise and almost certainly an "it's our franchise, we get the final say on everything" clause.

Athon Solo

Genty
11-09-04, 15:00
Oh my god? Can you not read the sarcastic manner? Damn dude I was joking!

Yeah, because Sarcasum is real easy to spot over the internet :wtf:

Benjie
11-09-04, 15:28
Anyway, back to the discussion about Quake IV(:rolleyes:), visit this (http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/Archives.asp) page and scroll down to find the website I found those screenshots at. Now I don't know much about bump mapping, but is that it? I mean if not then the polygon count on those models is insane.

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 15:41
That links in french??! :wtf:

SilentEye
11-09-04, 15:47
Yeah, because Sarcasum is real easy to spot over the internet :wtf:
You join him back to the newbie forum, kthxbye.

Genty
11-09-04, 15:50
You join him back to the newbie forum, kthxbye.

omg that kthxbye make you uber cool I wanna be like you!!!111 LOLZ

Please, if you wish to speak to me, don't use kthxbye or any other word adopted by the morons of this community.

Benjie
11-09-04, 15:51
That links in french??! :wtf:
Yes it is.

The screenshots are about a third of the way down on the same page.

Here.

The question was, is that an extremely high polygon model, or bump mapping?

http://gotdoom3.mauhin.be/News/54/Downloads/Quake4-Player2.jpg

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 16:09
Gent I'm jus ignoring the troll, he's not worth a response....

Benj its bump mapping, supposed to b the big thing with id's new engine. Hence mould plastic feel, they shld start modelling barbies...

jernau
11-09-04, 16:44
@Benjie - I don't think that's bumpmapped. It is probably the original model before they drop the polycount to make the final mesh. (TY for pics btw - saved me looking :)).

@MackRoo - Maybe people like those environments. I do see where you're coming from but I can also see how they can be easier when making a scary single player game. MP is a completely different matter and needs more space but who's to say the MP maps aren't very different.

Oh yeah and - Quake 2 had a story? :eek:

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 17:23
jern i was referring to most of Id's games, not jus Doom :)

bd*
11-09-04, 17:27

1) The darkness, clostraphobic levels were designed intensionally to create atmosphere and anxiety, and for most people it worked. Doom 3 is the most immersive game i have played to date.

2) Mabey in your warped judgement the gothic style went out ages ago, but its acutally still highly popular. Reference: Vampire - The Masquerade, Painkiller, Theif.

3) Sorry, the Mars landscape is habitable? Great! Ill go tell NASA. Face it, Dooms levels suit the Doom 3, o wait let me guess, you dont think Doom had a story? Unreal was great, both for levels, graphics and Ai. Unreal 2 ... was crap, and it bombed. The tournie series is a matter of opinion and taste, imo, its shite.

4) 10x more people play CS then UT and Quake 3 ... COMBINED. UT cant hold a flame to the number of people playing CS. And i dont actually recall UT making an appearce at any CPL while Quake 3 has headlined it. CS, wide, spacious? HAHAHA, good one, and Quake 3 had plenty of outdoor areas, especially in comparison to CS.

And finally about Quake 4, its being developed by Raven Software and being overseen by ID software, as others mentioned, namely Tim Willits i believe. I expect both indoor and outdoor levels as its set in the Quake universe and anyone saying it will all be cramped up like Doom 3... id ask for some proof not baseless accusation from an Unreal fanboi.

jernau
11-09-04, 17:32
jern i was referring to most of Id's games, not jus Doom :)
Quake 2 and 3 had open areas.

Tech-wise it made sense before that to keep things up close.

IMO ID's main failing isn't level layouts, you only need to look at the number of people that play their games online to see that. I do agree on the graphics style though - all ID games look very similar and usually very brown.

Personally my biggest gripe at ID has been their stories are all rubbish.

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 17:49
Nothing to do with tech, look at Duke3d, had way better level design then quake 1 or 2, hell even q3, the online figures back up Id doesnt know what its doing & Quake 4 hasnt got any vehicles etc, as far as i'm concerned they wasted the edge they had by not concentrating on decent teambased play when it comes to mp, i'll probly check out Q4 for the eye candy out of curiousity, & head back to ut2004 & neo for my main gaming, what else is there nowadays apart from cs on the pc neway?

jernau
11-09-04, 18:01
"the online figures back up Id doesnt know what its doing" - :wtf: All the biggest online FPS games are either written by ID or based on their engines. That's pretty convincing to me.

Duke 3D was a very different design all over. The rendering engine was much less complex - no curved surfaces, lower poly counts, simpler lighting, etc. Instead they concentrated on other areas like destroyable environments and interesting physics trickery. These aspects worked exceptionally well in a 1P game but didn't do anything for MP.

Since Doom 2 ID have concentrated on MP gaming in their own releases and sold licences to third parties to make good stories and 1P games. This is an excellent business model and also gives players the best of both worlds.

The Unreal games are all good and in some ways better than their ID equivalents but it's just silly to say ID can't make a good game or that Unreal has ever been a more successful series. ID are the biggest developer in their field by a long way, next is Valve who are an ID licensee.

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 18:38
All the biggest ??? Quake 2 & even worse Quake 3 are pretty poor examples of MP design, a different company licencing & using their technology for a completely different product doesn't say they know what they're doing., if they're the biggest why dont they back up with decent & upto date MP, instead of playing catch up in terms of game design, gfx design aside the main arguement here is if Quakes gonna be anygood as a MP game, something its never going to be as Id insists on rehashing its old tired Quake crap.

Team play is where its at & Id arent even considering team based components vehicles etc., Id seriously needs to rethink the genre the same way the unreal series did with UT2004 which imo is doing exactly everything what Id's too incompetent to do.

The death match bs of Quake 3 won't cut it in todays Halo's, Tribes, MOH, Battlefield, UT2004 market, gamers want complexity in their mp's, not patronised, which is all Id's concerned with nowadays, hence the crappy bs 4 player online wtf?? thrown in to save face. Patronising & talking down to their gamers is all Id's about, which is all Quakes gonna prove when its released...

btw the unreal series wiped the floor with the quake series a long time ago, the first unreal Tournament was groundbreaking, TEAM based weapons, gameplay modes etc, & as for UT2004 Q4's not even going to come close, Id doesnt have the genre breaking balls for it.

As for not liking UT as with anything else it all comes down to taste, but taste without a good reason & facts to back up that matter of taste, without a damn good reason to justify it, becomes a matter of bad taste, yes you need to reason & rationalise if you want to acquire a taste for something, no such thing as arbitrary.

jernau
11-09-04, 18:52
In what way is ID "playing catch up" exactly? o_O

Team-play is only one aspect of online FPSs. The Doom and Quake games were always about 1v1 combat - something a LOT of people prefer.

When ID are no longer a clear and justified number one you can call them "incompetant" but until then I'm sorry to say you have all the symptoms of terminal-stage fanboism though so it's probably not worth going any further.

seraphian
11-09-04, 18:58
is it just me or does that floating monster thingy (The one in the first post) look EXACTLY like a REALLY high-res version of a launcher?

jernau
11-09-04, 19:02
is it just me or does that floating monster thingy (The one in the first post) look EXACTLY like a REALLY high-res version of a launcher?
It's not just you :).

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 19:08
erm, most players DONT prefer 1on1 play, chck the figures, teambased games even in your own post outstrip deathmatch type games, "100xtimes". & I didnt say they were number one, YOU DID. Try arguing the point rationally. No i'm not a fanboi of anything i've got better things to do with my time, ie a life :p

Doc Holliday
11-09-04, 19:16
he has a point jernau up to a point. look at the amount of mods there are made for ut for example. community made mods. lots. how many are team based not for solo play. ALL? pretty darn close. how many game types are not team based in ut2k4 for example. 1 vs 1 and deathmatch. thats out of 6 or 7 game types. online gaming in its essence is moving towards the idea of bringing more and more people closer together via the internet regardless of languages spoken or place of residence. u cannot dispute that fact at least.

jernau
11-09-04, 19:26
I never said they weren't hugely popular - just that they are only one game format.

By his logic* UT "sucks" becuase it's not a good RTS.

*- obviously not referring to his last post which is incoherent nonsense.

Spermy
11-09-04, 19:28
In what way is ID "playing catch up" exactly? o_O

Team-play is only one aspect of online FPSs. The Doom and Quake games were always about 1v1 combat - something a LOT of people prefer.

When ID are no longer a clear and justified number one you can call them "incompetant" but until then I'm sorry to say you have all the symptoms of terminal-stage fanboism though so it's probably not worth going any further.

I agree with J here. Doom and quake and thier ilk are pure blasters - point, click, boom, swear, respawn, die ,respawn, die, respawn, get a shot off and die again. Perfect for getting all that aggression out - and none of that ASS bomb defusal bollocks a la C/S.

If ID wanted to make a different kinda game - I'm positive that a team of their calibre and resource access could knock up a team based game to blow ya mind!

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 19:33
jernau sounds like a syndrome of changing the rules & not wanting to converse rationally, ie more interested in winning points as opposed to talking bout the subject matter at hand, so now its just one game format... as opposed to being in the wrong first place about 1on1 more people preferring it, & "by my rules" whats RTS got to do with anything??? We're talking bout 1st person here, & YOU'RE calling me incoherent?? :p

Sp the point here is, that games like UT, Halo etc. do the whole bang, shoot thing alot better AS well as the teamplay, that is they can do BOTH, instead of being forward thinking & leveraging their technology to FURTHER the genre ie GAMEPLAY, as in companies such as epic, all they're interested is in rehashing the same old tired 1on1 deathmatch format. They totally ripped the Quake 3 community off with their leave it to the community mentallity to come up with decent maps etc. Compare the amount of maps the original UT & the newer series comes with, maps mods etc. For a market leader Id isn't doing much leading, & q4 isnt going to change anything, except for most ppls graphics card & system specs.

jernau
11-09-04, 19:57
I'm happy to debate the topic but if all you can offer is nonsensical "I don't like ID becuase I don't" comments then I see no point.

ID make the BEST 1v1 FPSs out there - no contest. Halo (for example) isn't even in the same league. Some of the UT games are OK but none are as good 1v1. Saying that ID don't know their business while they are the leaders in it by a huge margin is stupid.

If you want team-play then CS is better but that's a different kind of game and has no bearing on what ID do other than the fact CS is an ID license and therefore ID once again win in terms of knowing exactly what they are doing.

StrongSad
11-09-04, 19:59
I thought quake 4 was on dx10!!!!

:confused:

Oh well.

athon
11-09-04, 20:07
I thought quake 4 was on dx10!!!!

:confused:

Oh well.
DirectX 10 does not and never will exist. Microsoft have ceased the DirectX API and started work on a new API.

There's more on this, and the release of OpenGL 2.0 spec, plus a DirectX vs OpenGL flame war available on Slashdot for those who're interested.

Athon Solo

LiL T
11-09-04, 20:15
I love quake I have play all quake games and they are very fast and fun

KillingMackRoo
11-09-04, 21:48
Jern don't put words in my mouth, the whole reason I think Id's heads up its ass is because it doesnt apply teamplay correctly, no vhcs etc., IF quake was supposed to be 1v1 why the hell does it have CTF? Log onto any quake server & you'll see MORE ppl playing CTF then dm. MY MAIN POINT in case you still DONT get it is that with the huge TIME TO MARKET lead Id had, that is IT GOT THERE 1ST they never bothered with the teamplay side, they overlooked what the majority of gamers really want, decent teamplay in their online games, the whole point of going online in the 1st place. Why go 1on1 when you go 5on5 10on10 etc.

BIG DEAL if Quake 3's supposed to be the best at 1on1, the majority of ppl WANT teamplay in their online games, check the online stats yourself, Q3 failed miserably AND Quake 3 Team arena failed even more & Q4 judging by the level design weapons etc., Id obviously havent learnt a thing.

Quake 3's dull as hell 1v1, games such as UT added area weapons, dodges jumps etc., Halo added self charging heal & vehicles, what the hell did q3 add? vary the gameplay, is THAT saying i dont like quake because i dont? a games only as good as the maps regardless of the mechanics & quake 3 had a handful of these at best, & even then they all pretty much looked the same, trying saying that bout UT & Halo maps. Sorry but your quake 1v1 arguement ENDED a long time ago.

As for Id being leaders in their field, so why the hell are the numbers showing less ppl play Q3 then UT, Halo, CS, what sort of market leader can't even compete in the market THEY literally created... the 1st person, sorry but Id doesnt have a clue what its doing & probly will never.

Face facts the gameplay in Q3 IS monotonous & dull, how many times can you dodge a rocket, or a nailgun & run up & down the same dozen half decent maps, for your info UT HAS been in a LOT of international Tournaments, hell Q3's even been dropped in favour of UT due to the small number of players playing Q3... & no i cldnt give a dmn about UT

Q4's going to go the same route as Q3, if Id doesnt start adding to the genre IT created & innovate the same way their competitors did, instead of hawking their game engine, which is all they're doing atm with doom3 & quake, they won't even be market leaders for much longer. Newer & better games WITH BETTER engines then Id are coming next year Id doesnt stand a chance. I know what i'll be playin

jernau
11-09-04, 22:36
"don't put words in my mouth" - look up, read and think.

I haven't played on public servers for ages but CTF certainly wasn't dominant when I did. Maybe this has changed but even so I'd hardly call CTF the peak of team-play. I could gladly join a CTF game with people I've never met before and do pretty well - that's not true of the more advanced teamplay-based games.

"the majority of ppl WANT teamplay" - says you. I'm not saying you are completely wrong but I think you are pushing your tastes onto others.

"Q3 failed miserably" - by what metric?

"UT added area weapons, dodges jumps etc" - All of these started in ID games.

"a games only as good as the maps" - I disagree. A game like quake is about instant gratification. That's not any one single factor, it's a surprisingly complex mix of gameplay elements that ID are FAR better at balancing than any other company out there. You say all their games are the same - I say so what. If it ain't broke don't fix it. ID's games have evolved though so I don't see your point. None of the features of Halo or UT would improve Quake one bit IMO as they all serve to slow the game down which is the thing they want to avoid most.

Please show me where you get the claim more people bought or play Halo online from. UT200x I could believe in the last year or so but you may want to compare release dates and add RTCW to your list.

"Q4's going to go the same route as Q3" - Number one on all the games charts for months and the defacto standard for online gaming for years you mean?

LiL T
11-09-04, 22:40
@ KillingMackRoo

quake 3 failed erm where have you been lol Q3 yes its now an old game be many many people bought it and enjoyed it but times have changed now mass multi players games are selling alot better

bd*
11-09-04, 22:41
lmfao, you crack me up.

Ok, not starting with you but Microsofts next APi will be "DX Next" to tie in with the next XBox. Or at least, thats whats on paper atm, it may change.

Now to Quake Vs UT ... LMFAO! Why is UT more popular now? Because it has sequels obviously. Quake 3 won the Q3 Vs UT battle, face it, it headlined the biggest event in gaming history, the CPL. Quake 3 now, is outdated, UT2004 holds the limelight between these too yes, but then its much much newer. UT2003 did little, it was only really used for deathmatch and team deathmatch, and mostly 1v1s for your information. Most people who played it referenced it as being more like Quake 3 then UT.

"As for Id being leaders in their field, so why the hell are the numbers showing less ppl play Q3 then UT"

"Q3's even been dropped in favour of UT due to the small number of players playing Q3"

In fact, for the Original Unreal Tournament Vs Quake, here are some real time stats -

12. Quake 3: Arena
2576 servers, 4261 players

13. Unreal Tournament
2564 servers, 3568 players

Now which were you saying was more popular?

Why dont i like UT? Its slow, its got fugly graphics, less skill, and im talking about the original Vs Q3 here, not the new ones. Yes, Quake is faster and requires better reactions thereby making it more fun. In the new UT games you can pump up the speed to 120% to get the Quake feel which is nice.

Quake is all about deathmatch, Doom invented deathmatch and Quake made it mainstream. When it comes to teamplay CS leads, when it comes to vehicles Battlefield is where its at, when it comes to deathmatch you go to Quake. UT sits in an uneasy second position to all. Its just about second for teamplay, its just about second for vehicles, and god knows where it would rank for 1v1 tournies.

If ID cant make a good game and isnt popular anymore ... why was Doom the fastest EVER selling game? Because people DO still like that gameplay. Because it is going to headline the $1,000,000 CPL World Tour, NOT UT.

Get it in your head that just because you like the fact that UT helps you dodge rockets doesnt make it a better game. Wow you can link up the link gun, omgomgomg best game ever! Erm, dont think so.

Take Fatality for example, world class gamer, probably the best, made his name in Quake, had a short stint in UT2003 while it was used in tournaments then moved to CS, CoD and painkiller and finally ... guess what? Doom 3. He goes where the money goes, as you can see, UT didnt make much of an impact, it dropped out too quickly. Yes its still used at events like the ESCW but it doesnt headline it like CS does and thus, less money. Quake isnt used as its been superceeded, but only due to age.

If Quake 4 can live up to standards it will likely take place at the forefront of 1v1s ahead of Doom 3. CS, or rather now CS S will likely continue to dominate the team scene for years to come.

O, and the Doom 3 engine is a true revolution, on paper the only ones that come close are the X-Ray engine and the Unreal Engine 3. It is likely that id will remain the leaders when it comes to gaming technology, and go tell JC he has no idea what hes doing, mind the F50 in his driveway and the shuttle in his backyard though :lol:

Omnituens
11-09-04, 22:48
how many people who prefer team based games actually PLAY as a team?

when i play a team game, all i get it "i won" "wtf thats all your fault, rest of my team was shit".

There is no fucking I in TEAM.

Genty
11-09-04, 23:31

when i play a team game, all i get it "i won" "wtf thats all your fault, rest of my team was shit".

Thats why I stay away from games like quake. For team games, (OFP + Voice over net program) > all.

Spermy
12-09-04, 00:03

What if it's a team sexathon? - with hot womenz in ur team eh?

I would love to be fucked in a group.

There's definitely fucking I in team, or should I say me....

ino
13-09-04, 07:34
Hehe Quake only 1on1 game now someone just isnt really informed at all I see..

Quake is the grandfather of all teamplay based fps games arround plus the grandfather of 90% of every kind of mod you have ever seen in one. But teams arnt that big 4on4 but still the best feeling arround.

Qauke 4 probably can be a nice game if they leave out multiplayer. cause it wont be as good as quake anyways :). (Quake 1 QW that is)

jernau
13-09-04, 14:04
Hehe Quake only 1on1 game now someone just isnt really informed at all I see..
I don't know if you mean me but just to clarify - I was distinguishing between games where you are playing for yourself and those where you HAVE TO play well as a team to excel.

Benjie
13-09-04, 15:35
Yeah but tbh it's not a deathmatch if you can't put a tripbomb and tons of pipebombs next to doors then throw a holoduke to distract 'em while you Devastat0r there asses.

/me wants a Duke Nukem Tornament 2005.

ino
13-09-04, 17:31
You have to play well in a team in qw 4on4 to excell if you cant play extreeemly well with your team mates you will loose.. Its very dependant now that you know you team very well in todays qw team play, cause everyone is so damn good you make a mistake and it can cost you that match or a underlaying position for a loong time in the match.

But Qw do have 2on2 and 1on1 aswell so you are part right somewhere atleast :) most start as 1on1 fun then move on to teams. But a super 1on1 player isnt always the best choice in teamplay if he cant work with you. One player wont win the game for you vs 4 extremly good enemy players

jernau
13-09-04, 17:44
That's the minority that play in high-level leagues. For the majority that just use it to unwind after a day at work/school and to imagine turning their boss/teacher into a fine red mist it's a lot less team oriented than games that are built on the idea of teams.

Samhain
14-09-04, 10:27
That's not bumpmapping. The whole point behind iDs wonderful engine is that you can take a cinema-quality basemodel with millions of polygons and load it up and it's automatically scaled to run smoothly on whatever machine it's run on. The end result is really awesome prerenders that don't look any more detailed than any other game that is cutting edge. iD is notorious for just making wonderful bullshit that lacks purpose and is just there to sound jazzy. Carmack is a hell of a coder, but they like to crank the hype machine and buzzword nearly every fucking thing in their games, too.

numb
14-09-04, 12:18
I cant believe some of these posts? No team play in iD games? Games like Quake have always offered team play, I played in various clans from 1996 onwards and there are quite a lot of tactics involved and in my opinion just as much as in a game like CS. Various mods like CTF/TF came out almost as soon as quake did, there was no need for iD to incorporate additional team play modes because the mod community was already keen to work against the quake engine, which had really decent netcode.
It took quite a while for other games companies to produce games with similar internet performance, unreal certainly didn't have it when it came out.
When tribes was released, it was impressive, dont get me wrong, but wide open spaces and vehicles are not the be all and end all of a team game. I did play that for a few months until I went back to my QW clan for some more teaming.

@ KillingMackRoo - i take it all your comments are based around your opinion? Or do you actually work in the business of designing games?

jernau
14-09-04, 13:03
Various mods like CTF/TF came out almost as soon as quake did, there was no need for iD to incorporate additional team play modes because the mod community was already keen to work against the quake engine, which had really decent netcode.
You've answered your own point there. :)

It's not that ID don't make team-play games, it's just that it's not their core purpose. They know that licencees and modders can add that later so they work on making the best engine. IMO this is best for everyone.

ino
15-09-04, 10:25
There is more tactics in quake than in cs I promise. more to think about in games. 1on1 is awful when it comes to tactics and stuff to think about. you need to be good with timing stuff in your head. weapon spawns and armors, powerups, health packs, ammo packs, sounds on the lvl, teleport destinations, you probably know 90% of the time where the other player is. and he knows where you are by the sounds you make and what you pick up. So you need to think about trying to fool him aswell.