PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer NC1 or NC2

NeoChick
11-09-04, 08:11
Just wondering about general opinion, since most people seem to be on NC1 instead of DOY

Wanted to make a poll but don't know how that works

I have attempted DOY several times, but still find NC1 more exciting and interesting. Especially DOY area is kind of boring.

jnky
11-09-04, 08:30
Spent all this week exploring NC2 and last night went back to work in NC1 preparing my char's for the move.

As i was totally Pluto/combat based i have started trade based runners on Saturn to help me on the 4 char int server, im assuming i can transfer my pluto runner along with 3 Saturn runners to the 4 slot server. :confused:

I like DOY but still get the feeling im running around ind sec, but i have always liked pvp in this sort of environment and fighting in DOY and NC is going to be fun.
I just hope people will leave the trade skillers and nooobs alone or there will be none, and thats why i feel there should be a safe zone in both NC and DOY. ie CC doy and P2 NC.

So i will have to say NC2 even though i cant still tell what class everyone is yet unless there using a weapon/spell :confused:

FatDogg
11-09-04, 09:08
I popped into BDoY the other day just to check out what was going on. It is a really cool thing, don't get me wrong, but the problems I always found with the game were never with technical issues as those generally eventually get sorted; but then again, my tank was melee in NC Beta and never picked up HC through all the bugs that used to exist. I've come back and forth with NC in the past, and will probably do it again in the future. Generally my problems with NC involved more features of the way the NC system has been setup. I never have and probably never will like the fact that I cannot make a clan that cannot pick and choose enemies by either faction, clan, or player basis. I've seen numerous ways of fixing up this problem and numerous others, but regardless of what I've ever tried to show anyone else in the past be it in a brainport thread or a recomendation to other players nothing has gotten done. There is no such thing as a Trader Union, Anarchy Breed, or factionless option for a clan. My droner can still take every dex drug available and use a punisher to power level my ass off, but he can still fly his drones not only after drugs wear off, but they move just as perfectly through a drug flash. Quite frankly, I think that I'm not extensively testing the BDoY open beta for the same reasons I never extensively "tested" (played around with setups) on the NC Test Server. I really don't think that this oversized patch and new engine will be affected in any way by me. ReaKKtor has a design for a game, and they need to make sure that it works like they want it to. Enter the player/tester/customer who can help to find issues on his own free time without any compensation, unlike a developer who is working to find and fix any flaw in the system that KK wants to eventually have perfected. I play normal NC because I get my reward in another capped character or some items I could use. I simply do not feel the rewarding pleasure of playing a game I know is broken, I'd rather have something tangeable done by the time BDoY goes live instead of getting even more of the shit that I've tried to get accomplished destroyed by wipe. I'm not going to try to re-read this I've been typing on and off for a while now. If you understand where I'm coming from you'll know what this is about to me.

[TgR]KILLER
11-09-04, 10:46
nc2 ! so much new shit around the wastelands if you can find it.. and found some pretty wicked new place to level my apu to :p

Richard Slade
11-09-04, 10:47
NC1 actually.. I can't burn 500k (IE all I had) on furniture :p

Benjie
11-09-04, 10:50
Neocron 2.

I can't stand the old models and old textures in plaza anymore, and it doesn't feel right not having DoY at the other side of the wastelands. The old rpos is shit too. Plus you get patches every 3-4 days on Neocron 2, and there is something important to do; beta test.

Maxwell Smart
11-09-04, 10:54
NC1 of course. DOY sucks big time.Makes no fun to be a sniper anymore.

Maxwell Smart

Endar
11-09-04, 10:54
Neocron 2.

I can't stand the old models and old textures in plaza anymore, and it doesn't feel right not having DoY at the other side of the wastelands. The old rpos is shit too. Plus you get patches every 3-4 days on Neocron 2, and there is something important to do; beta test.

I agree completely. I just looked some old screenshots and I dont know if I could live with those character models anymore.

Agent L
11-09-04, 11:29
New models are shit as they don't conform with human anathomy. They also are made against every superhero-design rules. And animations were perfectly matched to this wimpy scheme.
New graphic is shit coz it's incoherent and WORSE than nc1. It is much harder to make moody dirty textures than clean ones, and what was done wrong in TH rework has been done even worse now. KK may have enuff skillz to accomplish easy clean look, but dirty feeling is beyond their reach.
Rpos looks maybe nice, but like designed only to veil as much vison as possible. Person who designes it should have work on interfaces forbidden to rest of his/her life.
While fonts it NC1 was pretty borked (!-I-l problem, etc), new fonts are state-of-the art fuckup. Looks like KK tried to save space wasted on rpos dead areas by decreasing font size - it made chat hardly readable (what is very harsh for me as I play on chat, not 3d) and letters are even more unified. Anyone tried to tell difference between weaponpart 5 and weaponpart 6 ? Only 2 pixels differ '5' and '6'. Pls kk hire a professional to design font, this is no place for homegrown amateurs.

On the other hands nc2 has some advantages like important and usefull faction HQs, haxnet, interesting design of DOY(geometry, not textures).
The complicated trade is interesting now, I wonder how long it'll last until ppl like me complete BP library and how things'll be after.

I hope KK will include some options to bring what was good in nc1 to nc2, like choice between 2 RPOSes and (!) option to benefit nc1 veterans by letting them keep NC1 avatars. And characters as are now need work. Alot of work.

Nash_Brigham
11-09-04, 11:36
Sound slike your PC is jsut shit, cause eveything I seen in NC2 is better than NC1.

Benjie
11-09-04, 11:38
KK may have enuff skillz to accomplish easy clean look, but dirty feeling is beyond their reach.
How can you say that Reakktor can't do dirty? Have you even played Neocron, or do you just play it with your eyes closed?

After reading your post, I conclude that there must be a general competence of understanding that is beyond your reach. While I agree with many of your points, such as how annoying the rpos is in low resolution, and how the font needs tweaking, you still fail to grasp the simple fact that this is a beta of Neocron 2 and it is your job to point these out in a constructive way. Instead you are dismissing it as if it was retail.

I disagree with several of your points too. I do not think older veterans should be allowed to bring over there old character models, and I do not think there should be two r.p.o.s. to choose from. Instead I think that Reakktor need to further improve the new models, and redo the existing r.p.o.s. with more support for lower resolutions.

naimex
11-09-04, 11:39
NC 2 ANY day..

If we are comparing the retail-1 vs Beta-2 that is.

Clownst0pper
11-09-04, 11:42
Same for me benjie, finding DOY far more fun despite lag issues atm!

MrChumble
11-09-04, 11:43
New models are shit as they don't conform with human anathomy.
Niether do the NC1 models with their stupid wide shoulders and midget heads. No one ever complained about anatomy before, but just go look at the tank PA. That guy must have had his shoulders moved out 2 feet in each direction to fit into the PA.

Regardless if anatomy, I still think the new models look much sexier, and they're so much more customisable. It's gonna rock when there's accessories to add, and maybe even visible armour (although if it's the same texture quality as the hair perhaps better not to bother).

rob444
11-09-04, 11:49
I think NC2 is better.

NeoChick
11-09-04, 11:57
I think there is good and bad, actually. I like NC2 in the city, I don't like the DOY area. Why do I want to live in crap if I can live in luxury.

In NC1 even the BD apartments had a bit of character.

I like TH in NC1, TG area in NC1, it is distinctive. In NC2 it is all the same.

I think my gripe with NC2 is purely visual and I guess I'll get used to it because I have always loved this game itself.

The new interface is incredibly distracting and covers too much of the screen, hopefully they will have a feature where we can switch it off to have the old NC1 interface if we want

The typeface, and the size of it are horrible. It has gone from bad to worse. Those devs must have binoculars on when they design this stuff.

Hacknet is exciting and a lot of other features. Can't wait to furnish my apartment. PvP should be interesting too with the shift in factions.

I have quickly ensured that I am in a faction that lives in the city. I am drawn to TG and FA but don't want to live in that horrible slum.

But actually my question meant what do we prefer playing right now. Beta test NC2? Or rather carry on playing NC1 till retail?

I know we are supposed to be 'testing' but I want to have some fun with it too. Not having fun if whatever I achieve is no point to it. (usually I enjoy playing beta despite this, not in this case unfortunatley).Do not enjoy Dome of York area, looks all the same to me and hardly any mobs. Wasteland looks the same too, I guess there are other mobs but I rather enjoy myself playing NC1 until there is a point to it all.

Just wish monks looked like monks instead of spies, pe's or whatever.
The only time you can see it's a monkey is when the monk throws his spell, then he truly looks like a monkey :)

Also, wish men did not have the same hairstyles as the women, and vice versa

SjanTeN^
11-09-04, 12:02
NC1, im very disapointet in BDoY...

MrChumble
11-09-04, 12:10
NC1, im very disapointet in BDoY...
Why?

For the most part NC2 is NC1 with better content and graphics. The gameplay hasn't changed much, and where it has it's an improvement (new economic system, streamlined faction system).

If you like NC1, what's not to like about NC2 O_o

Benjie
11-09-04, 12:29
If you like NC1, what's not to like about NC2 O_o
Not to forget customisable appartments, hacknet, a restructure of Pro-city vs Anti-city gameplay, a complete restructure of trade, a decent econamy, the prospect of Neocron 2 actually becoming popular, people hanging around in Viarosso(!) , the faction HQ music, the new weapons, and the (hopefully) continuation of NEMA once NC2 goes retail.

Dribble Joy
11-09-04, 13:46
KILLER']nc2 ! so much new shit around the wastelands if you can find it.. and found some pretty wicked new place to level my apu to :p
Indeed, I bumped into a TG outpost in J06 yesterday, and a little launcher compound in J07.

Ozzon
11-09-04, 15:04
NC2.

Hacknet, new models (altough not perefect), animations rule!

alig
11-09-04, 15:17
Spent all this week exploring NC2 and last night went back to work in NC1 preparing my char's for the move.

As i was totally Pluto/combat based i have started trade based runners on Saturn to help me on the 4 char int server, im assuming i can transfer my pluto runner along with 3 Saturn runners to the 4 slot server. :confused:

I like DOY but still get the feeling im running around ind sec, but i have always liked pvp in this sort of environment and fighting in DOY and NC is going to be fun.
I just hope people will leave the trade skillers and nooobs alone or there will be none, and thats why i feel there should be a safe zone in both NC and DOY. ie CC doy and P2 NC.

So i will have to say NC2 even though i cant still tell what class everyone is yet unless there using a weapon/spell :confused:

There is a safe zone for Tradeskillers and the like, its called Tech Haven :)..its entirely safe, supposedly thats where runnerNPC's will be and has all the suitable things you need like crytons.

Wolf
11-09-04, 15:29
I do prefer NC2 better - tickles me how people are now saying NC1 was better, a few weeks ago it was the scum of the earth to some people. Now NC2's out, they look back fondly on the "good old nc1 days" all i can say is WTF? o_O

My Whole clan seems to have quit nc now - so although i like it, i dont know if im staying :(

MrChumble
11-09-04, 15:59
My Whole clan seems to have quit nc now - so although i like it, i dont know if im staying :(
They always come back eventually :)

If not...there will be plenty of new clans and new people to meet.

Dirk_Gently
11-09-04, 15:59
you still fail to grasp the simple fact that this is a beta of Neocron 2 and it is your job to point these out in a constructive way.

Benjie mate, it's OPEN BETA around 2 weeks before scheduled release.

-Open Beta is primarily used for polishing off your product and for marketing purposes, you would not expect to have any major issues with it. All bugs should have been reported and dealt with in Alpha and closed Beta, all that the people in Open Beta should be dealing with is testing server load, checking any modifications since closed beta and checking the "finish" of the game.

-2 weeks before release games are usually all but complete (It is amusing however to see that that which cannot be mentioned isn't). You keep saying that people should be being constructive but tbh if Beta really does have as many problems as people suggest then KK are rushing release.

KK's problem has always been bug fixing, given this they have not allowed enough time for testing (I get the impression that the actual dev staff have been dropped in the shit by their bosses on this).

The vast majority of people play an Open Beta to decide if they are going to play the game when it hits retail, not to actually test the game. Testing should have been virtually completed in the (horrendously short) succession of closed beta cycles, and only very, very minor bugs that just slightly take away from the feel of the product should be left.

Neocron is a very good game however it has always suffered badly from bugs, NC2 CANNOT be like that and what is being said is worrying.

solling
11-09-04, 19:01
NC2 scenery and everything

but the models tho i liek em makes PvP kinda wierd and a lot harder
guess i just have to get used to it

and we NEED a off/onn button on the monk emotes when casting spells so u can decde urself if u want it on or not its sooooooooo distracting

Agent L
11-09-04, 21:02
I disagree with several of your points too. I do not think older veterans should be allowed to bring over there old character models
I played with this model for nearly 3 years. I feel it as "me" and many ppl recognise me by it. There was situations like players pointing out that my shirt lost it's purple colour and I don't look like I should or ppl recognise me from far away just by model.
That's why I want to keep it. If you consider it ugly, let me be ugly.

I do not think there should be two r.p.o.s. to choose from. Instead I think that Reakktor need to further improve the new models, and redo the existing r.p.o.s. with more support for lower resolutions.
I just don't think KK will suddenly believe that rpos is bad and rework it.
Of course you're right, that's how it should be done - one _good_ RPOS. I just threw 1st quickest solution I thought about.

How can you say that Reakktor can't do dirty?
Well, after seing new TH in nc1 and now seeing nc2 Plaza, Via and DoY. It takes alot more effort to make dirty look than just add dark vertical bruises. I say - they can't do dirty.

After reading your post, I conclude that there must be a general competence of understanding that is beyond your reach.
(...)you still fail to grasp the simple fact that this is a beta of Neocron 2 and it is your job to point these out in a constructive way. Instead you are dismissing it as if it was retail.

Oh, Benjie. I was like you when I was younger. After few years in game development and more importantly - NC1 open beta I have experience you lack. When ppl was bashing beta4 I was one of screaming "IT IS ONLY BETA FFS !".
When open beta continued for EN and german retail started - I was amongst ones who believed KK "Retail is on completly different code and it is far more stable than beta". I believed all beta problems came from long patching route, servers running on debug versions etc.
And when retail hit (mind that I had few months ofdelay after retail started) guess what I found ! Most old beta bugs, instability and no more than beta contents.
So there is a chance you are right - KK can do what they couldn't do then - and afaik noone in the world could do now - and in two weeks from now deliver us fully polished product. But I give that less that winning at lottery.
So keep your faith - someone has to - but prepare for what you see is what you get.

And - I am not dissmissing it. I just pointed arguments what is better in nc1 than nc2. I also pointed what is better in nc2.
I will play nc2 and I will addopt. I always do.

/edit : GRAPHICS !!! OMG KK hired shitty polyzoom. Now I'm sorry, I'm calling back what I said about KK's noskill. They just hired company which hires noskillz to do their job : /

Agent L
11-09-04, 21:15
Niether do the NC1 models with their stupid wide shoulders and midget heads. No one ever complained about anatomy before, but just go look at the tank PA. That guy must have had his shoulders moved out 2 feet in each direction to fit into the PA.
There are some rules that artists follow to make creation look more (or better than) lifelike. Look at every comic - at superman, batman, etc. There is general rule saying that superhero head should be smaller to make his body look more athletic.
3d modells are usually made bit wider to countereffect perspective which makes everything look slimer. Look at domes on churches or other buildings. Although they look like a perfect half of spehere, infact they're elliptic.
About shoulders, yeah, these new models looks like me, spending entire live infront of computer and having no muscles. But once in a club I saw a doorman, about my height and he had shoulders over TWO times wider than me.
I'd rather expect fighting for living neocron population to be more like him or a superhero than a computer wimp like me.
Somtimes somethings should be done better than reality did : D

Inchenzo
11-09-04, 21:20
Even in it's beta state, i like NC2.. can't even wait to migrate.

and alot is gonna hapen till release, so it's actually not really the time to judge the game,.. cos ya can't it ain't RETAIL yet :rolleyes:

Vryce
11-09-04, 22:14
Neocron 2.
I can't stand the old models and old textures in plaza anymore, and it doesn't feel right not having DoY at the other side of the wastelands. The old rpos is shit too.

Hmm, I've been on NC2 for a week now, and I have to say that I can't agree with you at all. :p
The new characters look like elfs of the future, and the new hud display is too cluttered and intrusive.

joran420
11-09-04, 22:50
NC2 > Nc1 anyday of the week.....

Its far from perfect but its improving rather fast, and theres so much cool new gameplay things....

Increased all around difficulty(which is good imho)

Shakari
12-09-04, 10:15
Neocron 2.

I prefer the RPOS in NC1 the new one is far to garish and cluttered so much so I have to look at which slot somethings in closely before selecting it :/

-=BlackBeard=-
12-09-04, 10:26
Nc2 its a whole new game to explore

char transfer was disappointing though only got my CS and imps (no marine)

Benjie
12-09-04, 10:28
(no marine)
I got my marine. o_O
I've just noticed how stupid the name of that implant is.

-=BlackBeard=-
12-09-04, 11:04
I got my marine. o_O
I've just noticed how stupid the name of that implant is.

ermm why tanks are the "elite" fighting class in nc and the "elite" fighters in rl is the marines

MrChumble
12-09-04, 11:07
ermm why tanks are the "elite" fighting class in nc and the "elite" fighters in rl is the marines
No they're not O_o

Marines are just grunts in the navy. If you want the best of the best you need Delta force or the SAS (or that diplomat guy, I dunno what he's for).

-=BlackBeard=-
12-09-04, 11:09
No they're not O_o

Marines are just grunts in the navy. If you want the best of the best you need Delta force or the SAS (or that diplomat guy, I dunno what he's for).

the SAS is the "elite" force fighting in the army. as is delta force in America

the Marines go through the hardest training to become one

Shakari
12-09-04, 11:24

probably Special Forces (USA) SAS (UK) are the elite fighting prof in RL as they require the most training and skills :)

Benjie
12-09-04, 11:32
In England it means sea stuff. :p

[TgR]KILLER
12-09-04, 12:24
In England it means sea stuff. :p

same in the netherlands :p but i can see were he's looking from haha.

Agent L
12-09-04, 12:37
the name is "Marine's CPU" not "marine CPU" (+15 swimming +10 underwater breathing +10 resist salt) : P

BaDDaSS
12-09-04, 12:39
I popped into BDoY the other day just to check out what was going on. It is a really cool thing, don't get me wrong, but the problems I always found with the game were never with technical issues as those generally eventually get sorted; but then again, my tank was melee in NC Beta and never picked up HC through all the bugs that used to exist. I've come back and forth with NC in the past, and will probably do it again in the future. Generally my problems with NC involved more features of the way the NC system has been setup. I never have and probably never will like the fact that I cannot make a clan that cannot pick and choose enemies by either faction, clan, or player basis. I've seen numerous ways of fixing up this problem and numerous others, but regardless of what I've ever tried to show anyone else in the past be it in a brainport thread or a recomendation to other players nothing has gotten done. There is no such thing as a Trader Union, Anarchy Breed, or factionless option for a clan. My droner can still take every dex drug available and use a punisher to power level my ass off, but he can still fly his drones not only after drugs wear off, but they move just as perfectly through a drug flash. Quite frankly, I think that I'm not extensively testing the BDoY open beta for the same reasons I never extensively "tested" (played around with setups) on the NC Test Server. I really don't think that this oversized patch and new engine will be affected in any way by me. ReaKKtor has a design for a game, and they need to make sure that it works like they want it to. Enter the player/tester/customer who can help to find issues on his own free time without any compensation, unlike a developer who is working to find and fix any flaw in the system that KK wants to eventually have perfected. I play normal NC because I get my reward in another capped character or some items I could use. I simply do not feel the rewarding pleasure of playing a game I know is broken, I'd rather have something tangeable done by the time BDoY goes live instead of getting even more of the shit that I've tried to get accomplished destroyed by wipe. I'm not going to try to re-read this I've been typing on and off for a while now. If you understand where I'm coming from you'll know what this is about to me.

If you look under backspace there is a key for Return.
You can use this to great paragraphs and new lines.

Nasher
12-09-04, 12:46
Overall I think NC2 is better, it has much more than NC1 does and is a LOT more stable (not crashed for about 3 weeks now).

One thing that does annoy me is the interface, I think all the extra fancy bits waste to much screen area. Then there are other small things like when you wair PA your player model is suddenly 2x wider and uses the old animations again etc. The guards and cops are way to dumb and react to slowly to stuff, some dont react at all or walk in cercles unable to find the target when attacked (not good if there are no safe zones now). Also the DOY guards sometimes flip out and randomly kill people, unless this was fixed :)

But its only a beta, hopefully this stuff will get sorted :p

Killall
13-09-04, 16:55
Ok, just played the NC2 beta and am VERY dissapointed... RPOS is crapp, textures look crappy and the same old stupid fatals and sync probs r there. KK will looze big time with this "mod" for Neocron 1. Cant think of anything good to say for NC2 atm.. sorry.

Wolf
13-09-04, 21:16
You forgot the flying cabs in plaza 1!!!!! what more could u possibly want??? :eek:

ZzarGladius
14-09-04, 03:09
To me NC2 = NC1 plus a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't experience as many of the game halting bugs as everyone else, so for me it's a no brainer. NC2 is far superior to NC1.