PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Cooler and heatsink

Revslad
08-09-04, 02:02
i cant seem to decide on a cpu cooler and heat sink, i have a p4 2.6 and its currently on average idle at 42c and during/after a session of cron its like 52c
and its gets a temp i don't like the look of.

current case setup is 4 fans blowing in form the front, one from the window.
2 exaust fans at the back and 2 inside hovering above the mobo.

the mobo temp is fine and the surrounding temp inside the case is ok its just shit cpu temp,

can any of you guys recommend a cpu cooler/heat sink combo or separate heat sink and fan. price is not a problem but must be within reason ;)

thx

speed

Plight
08-09-04, 02:27
http://www.aerocool.us/cooler/dp102le.htm

GET IT!
Its basically just a huge chunk of copper with 2 fans :D . My cpu temp never goes above 45C at maximum load, usually around 36 idle. And thats with using a 2500+ mobile overclocked to 3200+ speeds with 1.7 voltage. This thing is a beast. Definately worth the price though.

edit: If you do get it, i recomend dumping the fans it comes with from some that have at least 4500 rpm. The 2500rpm fans it comes with suck.

Seven
08-09-04, 06:32
Be VERY careful moving your computer around with a heavy HS on it.
I've heard of the entire cpu socket falling off some boards as these types of sinks are much heavier then the sockets recommended HS weight. (unless you have a bolt on)

I have the one in the link below and it's scary seeing that thing hanging over my $390 video card.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/thermalright/slk900a/page2.htm

cornelius5
08-09-04, 07:59
ahh you crazy kids....
if your not overclocking, 52c is well under normal recommended temp.
i think the threshold for that cpu is like 80c. and at 85 or 90c , it has
a shutoff circuit on die so u dont fry your chip.
if your getting freeze ups at that temp(52) it has nada to do w/ cpu die temp.
and make sure u check your temperature in the bios,
because its usaully different from what a mobo monitor program will tell you.
i ran an overclocked athlon at 70+c for months without any probs.
i can see more problems coming from your gratuitious use of case fans than
your 52c temp.

Seven
08-09-04, 08:21
I R overclocking. :D
I'm running an XP 2500 barton at 1.85 volts and am getting 50c 122F with house temp at 78f while running Neocron.

That's according to the Asus Probe program which seems to give higher numbers than the bios.

Nice to know you were running at 70c with no problems. :cool:

Samhain
08-09-04, 08:37
Barton 2500s are rated to survive 85C internal temperatures.

However, it's ballparked that every 10C over nominal (don't ask me what the actual number is) is 1/2 your chips lifespan gone. at 70 c you're probably looking at your chip surviving 1/8th or so of it's original intention...

Also 85C is internal die temperatures, asusprobe might not be reporting that, in fact, it might not even be giving you a temperature that's close to what the surface of the chip is, let alone internal. It might just be monitoring a diode that's near where the heatsink sits, or underneath the zif socket.

winnoc
08-09-04, 08:49
Thermalright SP-97 for amd and the newer one for intel chips.
Slap on a 92mm papst fan or for high performance a delta fan and you're set to go.

mobile 2500+ running a 2535mhz here stable as hell, load of 54°C running neocron, can get it to 2600 mhz but then it gets to 60°C and i don't like it, it becomes unstable in prime 95 and 3dmark2001.

Seven
08-09-04, 09:11
Barton 2500s are rated to survive 85C internal temperatures.

However, it's ballparked that every 10C over nominal (don't ask me what the actual number is) is 1/2 your chips lifespan gone. at 70 c you're probably looking at your chip surviving 1/8th or so of it's original intention...

Also 85C is internal die temperatures, asusprobe might not be reporting that, in fact, it might not even be giving you a temperature that's close to what the surface of the chip is, let alone internal. It might just be monitoring a diode that's near where the heatsink sits, or underneath the zif socket.

It's what came with the Asus A7N8X board, there's motherboard temp which I think is underneath the zif socket and cpu temp which I have no idea where it gets that from.

Aside from asus probe, the bios has MB temp and CPU temp, wouldn't that be an accurate way of measuring since that's all intergrated into the board itself?

Also the A7N8X has CPU COP or something (don't have the box in front of me)
that prevents overheating.

I'll take any advice you have, I'm fairly new to OC'ing. :o

winnoc
08-09-04, 09:21
General rule for bartons and the onboard temp sensors:

Go over 60°C on your monitor and you become unstable.
Unless your fan just stops and the motherboard doesn't shut down then, it's hard to kill a barton from overclocking, as it tends to shutdown and reboot once it starts to overheat slowly.
If your fan fails it can be seconds for it's death. (had two die on me that way).

juvestar15
08-09-04, 09:40
I was just about to make a thread about CPU temperatures so i'll ask here instead. I got an AMD 2600+ and i think my setup is borked.

Motherboard Monitor 5 readings.......

When my computer is boxed up and slipped into my desk i started at 59C and get to 90C.

When i put it ontop of my desk and took the sides off i get around the 70C mark, I'm currently at 73C and it's been running 2 hours with me just doing some programming on it.

This CPU isn't overclocked or have any weird shit done to it. I bought the motherboard + CPU + Heatsink all from a PC store. I put the PC together but they connected the CPU and heatsink to the mobo.

As of late my PV has been running like absolute shit, that's with 1 gig of ram and a format 1 month ago. Do you think the sensor is screwed or am i going to fry my chip?

Genesis
08-09-04, 09:57
I've got a barton 2500 in my computer, clocked to a 3200, and it never goes above 50 c. I use this fan. (swedish page) http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=CMJET7

winnoc
08-09-04, 10:12
I have been reading up on a LOT of sites about coolers before i bought this one, and trust me, except for watercooling or a peltier, NOTHING beats a Thermalright SP-97 with 92mm delta fan and artic silver5 paste under it.

Also having a 120mm fan blowing cool air in on the side and two 80mm fans sucking it out through the back helps a lot for your ambient temperature, hence also the amount of cooling you get.

You know, some stock coolers aren't even capable of handling the cpu they were delivered with?

Samhain
08-09-04, 10:15
Also the A7N8X has CPU COP or something (don't have the box in front of me)
that prevents overheating.

Yeah, it's good stuff, the Abit one has it too, and it saved the chip a few times on me.

I'll take any advice you have, I'm fairly new to OC'ing

I'll give you this advice: Run away. This is one addiction that will take you and turn you in to a twisted mutant who salivates at any mention of "better O/C" or "performance boost". I just got done soldering 3 variable resistors to my video card that are grounded with a fan header connector so I can activate/deactivate the mod as I desire. It's a sick addiction. It really is.

and artic silver5 paste under it.

Have you tried this? I stopped at AS3 and have been using Shin Estu forever

Seven
08-09-04, 16:22
Hehe, yeah it is addictive, but fun. :)
I'm using artic silver 5 paste on my cpu, first time I've tried it so can't compare it to anything.

With the stock POS HS that came with the chip my idle temps were 114F with 78F in the house and the chip at stock 1.65 volts.

With the Thermalright SLK-900 and artic silver 5 my idle temps are now 109F
with 78f in the house with the chip at 1.85 volts.

I also have a big copper HS and fan on the NorthBridge chip as well.

..here's a couple of pics...

winnoc
08-09-04, 16:29
Hehehe, actualy the learning process of overclocking is expensive :-)

In two years time:

2 cpu's burnt
1 motherboard broken
changed over 5 coolers, finaly stuck with the sp-97
1 dead geforce2mx400
1 dead leadtek5900xt(which ran with a 5950ultra bios)

Ah, did i mention a pissed off gf too? :-)

"But honey, honestly I need this stuff to make it work realy good!" hehehe

Seven
08-09-04, 16:51
LOL, sounds like what I tell my wife when I need upgrade parts.
I can't go too crazy with the OC'ing though because we just can't afford it right now.

I just wanted the 2500 to run at 3200 and that's all that's Oc'ed in my box.
Almost started screwing around with the vid card, but stopped myself. :D

juvestar15
08-09-04, 16:55
Is it better to have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust rather than 1 intake and 2 exhausts? And do you have a fan on top of the case?

Mr Friendly
08-09-04, 17:06
for a heatsink, it dont really matter much, but make sure its copper & well ventilated on the area the fan will blow into.

for the fan make sure its a cooler master, has metal outsidings instead of the reg black plastic (that holds the fan) the only thing plastic above that cpu should be the fan's blades, nothing else. (plastic gets hot easy)

also i recommend newegg.com if ur gunna buy online

& heres an example of a good fan im talkin about:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=35-103-142-02.JPG/35-103-142-04.JPG/35-103-142-03.JPG/35-103-142-01.JPG

[TgR]KILLER
08-09-04, 17:13
lol i oced this comp both cpu and vid.. and on my old vid i oced to.. never broke a thing.. temp is 50 stressed and atm around 45 idle.. but when winter comes its gonna drop around another 10 degree's its f00king hot in my room lol.

juvestar15
08-09-04, 17:22
Hey dont you complain, i get 3 months off uni and it just happens to be the 3 summer months. All i want to do is play games so i have to sit in a room with no air-con, it can higher than 35C in here. :D

Dru Blood
08-09-04, 18:11
revs i was running a p4 2.4 at 3ghz on a stock supplied p4 cooler at 37c idle 46 underload

the only mod i did to the cooler was peel the thermal adhesive pad off underneath and sanded the underside of the block using fine grit sand paper got it to an almost mirror finnish, artic silver smooted into it using a tissue, then cleaned up the cpu core, added a tiny amount of paste onto the core smoothed it out with a biro lid. then plonked the heatsink back on works a treat

since then ive gone to water cooling using an asetek rig, nice results and no noise

Seven
08-09-04, 18:46
Is it better to have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust rather than 1 intake and 2 exhausts? And do you have a fan on top of the case?

Depends on things like fan placement, the way your cables are set up, etc..
I read about what can happen to air inside a case where you can get dead spots. (will try and find the link)
IE. My comp runs cooler with the front fans on medium compared to the highest setting.

I have two intake fans with 3 speed settings, an exhaust fan in back and the power supply has 2 fans which helps with exhaust also. No fan on top of the case.

It's trial and error for each set up.

Samhain
08-09-04, 21:37
for a heatsink, it dont really matter much, but make sure its copper & well ventilated on the area the fan will blow into.

It certainly matters much. Every heatsink has a different C/W capacity. I don't see how you can dismiss thousands of reviews on the internet comparing different heatsinks (with identical fans and thermal pastes) that show drastic differences even as much as 15C.

for the fan make sure its a cooler master, has metal outsidings instead of the reg black plastic (that holds the fan) the only thing plastic above that cpu should be the fan's blades, nothing else. (plastic gets hot easy)

Plastic gets hot easy... that doesn't mean it melts. You're chip is producing heat that gets convected to the thermal paste, then the heatsink, and then the fan. If that fan gets hot enough to melt, then odds are your chip is going to melt too (note: shitty graphics cards have extremely shitty fans and graphics cards tend to run hotter anyway due to poor cooling care, so their fans melt sometimes.). While those coolermaster fans are probably better, I'd rather focus on a decent heatsink and just get a generic fan, than get any old heatsink, and focus on a specific fan like you suggested.

Neither, really, if you have too much intake and not enough exhaust, you will get dust buildup, if you have too much exhaust and not enough intake, I read that you can get some static buildup. I've never investigated the latter, but the first one is clearly true. (Although they might be backwards, I can't really remember the order, all I know is that in one of the two scenarios, you will get more dust buildup than normal)

really, you just want your exhaust to be equal to your intake. And not by the number of fans, but by their CFM. If you have 2 exhaust fans that are 40cfm each, then you should try to get an intake of 80cfm.