PDA

View Full Version : Seeding NC2

Spermy
06-09-04, 10:28
Okay Some very nice peoples have sacrificed thier chance to see beta in all it's lovely fluffiness for you guys. But some of you are not keeping up your end of theh bargain.

I'm counting peoples DL rates into the mid 90s and no one is uploading, save for a few. If you don't uplaod as well, other people are going to lose out.

I've left my Torrent file to seed. But I WILL NOT continue to do so if no one is inclined to help each other out and share the data

The upload speed shows the speed at which data is POTENTIALLY uploaded, you can only transmit as much data as you have, so you aren't losing anything else, but for the love of god - share you files or this will take forever.

Richard Slade
06-09-04, 10:32
I'll second that.
Been seeding since it released yesterday.
Its not like you'll get to play faster if you stop seeding,
you'll just make others grumpy

naimex
06-09-04, 10:35
I would if I could..

but with 128 in upload... thats 16 kb max transfer speed, I donīt see any point in doing so, and the 125 mb webspace i have on my domain isnt going to save anyone, since it isnīt enough to hold any of the files except the ones below 1 mb....

FeeNiX
06-09-04, 10:36
Perhaps you can help me then, I have completed the download. It is still uploading, and i intend to leave the computer on, is there some mode in BitTornado that I can switch to or something that would make it send data better? I have it in automatic, but i have noticed a Seed and Superseeder mode, any ideas you may have for how i could assist in the spreading of the file, let me know how i can help.

OTIS
06-09-04, 10:38
i let my torrent dl at like 30 kb/s till it got to like 20% i got pissed and restarted it and then got 400-500 kb/s till it was complete. Try that.

FeeNiX
06-09-04, 10:41
im done with the download...im trying to upload now...send it to other people....i want to know how i can best do that

Vampire222
06-09-04, 10:43
Theres a mode in your bt client called "Super seed" use that

Spermy
06-09-04, 10:46
im done with the download...im trying to upload now...send it to other people....i want to know how i can best do that

The best thing you can do is just free upload space really, not a clue how your client works... I'd try setting to seed or superseed and seeing what happens though.

I'm just very Irked that people are just taking for themselves and not helping out the 56Kers... Shame really... Off to get some DVDs today to put the client to. Lemme know if ya want one and I'll ask for the snailer when I've burned em.

FeeNiX
06-09-04, 10:49
it seems on this super-seed mode that my transfer rate to others is going down, now if i am exclusively serving out the pieces that no one else has i suppose that is good...i dunno exactly how this all works but if you say this is best, then...okay

Weaponizer
06-09-04, 11:30
I recommend leaving superseed mode off. Unless you're the first seeder (eg Reakktor), it would degrade the torrent stream.

Read here for more info on superseeding
Brief - http://azureus.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Super%20Seeding
Long-winded - http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/superseed.txt

Endar
06-09-04, 11:38
In BitTornado just switch it on the "Seed" mode and move the Upload Rate bar to set the upload speed, dont try to seed more than your network really can. Also set the max uploads somewhere from 1-> depending from your network connection. Right now Im uploading at rate of 80kB/s to 5 peers.

Everyone whos seeding the file post here, I want to see how many people really share the file :D

[TgR]HusK
06-09-04, 11:52
it seems my upload rate has been increased a bit by my ISP,

set it to superseed.
-upload max 35KB/s
-max uploads 5
-upload speed per seed 7KB/s

leaving +-6KB/s for myself (tested my upload caps between 40 and 42 KB/s)
More than enough for me to play any game online and do some the things I do.

Currently downloaded: 1623.3 MB
Currently Uploaded: 965MB
Share rate so far: 0.595 :-|

Its not the best, but atleast I'm sharing :p

Richard Slade
06-09-04, 11:55
My share ratio is off the charts now and seems borked...
Happened when it went over 10.000

kurai
06-09-04, 11:55
Turn Super-Seed mode *off*, mate.

The thought is appreciated, but it actively degrades the overall torrent rate once there's more than 2 completed seeds around.

Darken
06-09-04, 11:59
dudes so what you have 128 upload ?
it still helps if you upload with 10 bkps
ive finished it downloading over FTP
now im seeding with 10 kbps.

[TgR]HusK
06-09-04, 12:02
Turn Super-Seed mode *off*, mate.

The thought is appreciated, but it actively degrades the overall torrent rate once there's more than 2 completed seeds around.
(turned off now)
Why? Every client can connect to as many seeds as he/she wants... why does it degrade the rate then? o_O

trigger hurt
06-09-04, 12:07
I got tired of waiting for people to do the right thing yesterday and downloaded from one of the few public ftp's. Then, for the 6 or 7 people I know, I made my own tracker and seeded it to them. 2 of them had 90% of the file when I started it, after that, everyone is almost done.

If the rest of you people who finished the download so quick had been seeding instead of being a bunch of kims...people would not have had to resort to putting up public ftps

kurai
06-09-04, 12:13
HusK'](turned off now)
Why? Every client can connect to as many seeds as he/she wants... why does it degrade the rate then? o_OThe basic version is that in Super-Seed mode you client keeps track of the chunks it sends to individual peers and works out how quickly they get shared out to others.

Clients that share the recieved chunks fastest then get preferential speed from the super-seeder.

The downside is that when there are several complete seeds already it just wastes time sending only small bits of timed chunks to everyone and waiting for the timing - clogging up connection slots and stopping the rest of the partial chunk from being requested by the peer it's testing.

kurai
06-09-04, 12:21
...people would not have had to resort to putting up public ftpsPublic FTP/HTTP sites will still be neccessary - not everyone has a network setup (or in some cases sufficient brain cells) to use Torrent methods.

Bit Torrent's primary function is to get the files to the biggest number of people possible in the shortest space of time. (It's a *much* more efficient use of finite source bandwidth than FTP/HTTP)

It's not designed to be a total distribution replacement method.

Leebzie
06-09-04, 12:26
http://www.firenewt.f2s.com/Images/unfair.jpg

This is my only problem really, people just seem to be being unfair :(

hope there will be an FTP version with retail as generally, people dont seem to be helping out, very big thank you to those giving what they can, thats all thats needed.

kurai
06-09-04, 12:32
The overall torrent cloud bandwidth is somewhere over 7MB/s right now.

Something is non-optimal at your end (or at your ISP).

sn8
06-09-04, 12:34
First thing is that I managed to take today off work just so i can play the beta.

Second is that I been using BT like evey one else and it going SOOOOO slow.
I been DL'ing for 11 hrs and i still got 10 hrs left to get the beta. I got a 512/256 connection and i max'd my upload jut to be nice.

I'm not happy tbh. I was hoping tha i'll be able to play all day but its not going to happen at all. 2day is gonna be a shit day :(

Would it be worth me just getting it from an FTP?

Leebzie
06-09-04, 12:38
Ah its started to pick up now theres 40 something seeders... im aproximately getting what im giving exactly in the statistics pages so i spose to a degree its fair. (getting 30kBps down peaking now, so long as it pars my upload , i dont mind)

Looks like it will be another day tho, dissapointing, BT's usually quite reliable...

rob444
06-09-04, 12:41
I totally agree, I've had this download over night and normally I would have it downloaded by now but Im around 50% only. The downloading is slow because not many are uploading, there are several 100% users (and some of them is uploading to me in less than 1 kb (netlimited, how lame..))
When my download is done I will go into seeding mode, at least I and several others do the rest of you non uploaders a big favour. Assholes.

Spermy
06-09-04, 12:51
They bitch for compliance and KK comply - when it comes their turn - a lot of em are just giving the rest of you guys the finger. Shame really.

CarniFlex
06-09-04, 13:15
this morning i started with a dl of 10kbit and a upload of 30kbit, nice happy green smiley told me I had 2700 in sharerating...

5hours later
40% done 6 hours to go

dl 42kbit up 38kbit share rating of 0.805p
Since I have to much studies tonite ill put my comp on superseed... just to be nice... altough I wish I could block certain people I really dislike from dl from me like all the DOY faction members, they really dont deserve MY bandwith... LONG LIVE REEZA!!!

I must say im very impressed with how the torrent is working, hope other companies follow this path with other betas (and some *cough* filesharing for private people aswell)

MjukisDjur
06-09-04, 13:30
I are nice.

I are superseeder :p