PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard stands in troubled waters......

ShadowStriker
06-09-04, 05:01
Recently posted from
http://www.geocities.com/shadowstriker2004/

Major news on the gaming front just in. It appears World of Warcraf(R) is in serious trouble of getting its feet off the ground. This chain reaction appears to be set off by Blizzard(R) employees, blatantly ignoring users abusing map hacks, cd key generators, and other unknown forms of cheats on their newest game to date, Warcraft 3(R). And instead going after users expressing their opinions that they do not agree with about the most popular map modifaction to date, DOTA(R). With this unforseen mistake, their MMORPG project which has been years in making, now hangs in the balance of brilliant success, or blazing failure. More news on this current even soon to come.

joran420
06-09-04, 05:20
sounds like a bitter beta tester....i see no breaking news.....just someone complaining about customer service

seraphian
06-09-04, 05:22
MMOs live or die by their community...

if you don't respect it... your MMO dies.

I think a LOT of MMOs are in trouble over that issue. SWG with their massive and indiscriminate bannings, WoW with their player issues, ect.

Honestly I think the BIGGEST mistake an MMO can make is surpressing negative opinions about the game in the forum and such, everytime I've seen it done the surpressed players find another venue to bitch on and now they have a new (and probably more legitimate) complaint.

One thing I've always respected about neocron and KK honestly. They let people out and out say the game is shit on the forums if that's the way they feel without IG and forum banning them. Other games (*ahem* swg *cough*) banned users for complaining and now those users are going around bad-mouthing the game to anyone that will listen (and yes, I am one of those people... banned because I said it was bullshit I got IG banned for reciving a tip of duped credits)

Chaos81
06-09-04, 05:54
Recently posted from

Major news on the gaming front just in. It appears World of Warcraf(R) is in serious trouble of getting its feet off the ground. This chain reaction appears to be set off by Blizzard(R) employees, blatantly ignoring users abusing map hacks, cd key generators, and other unknown forms of cheats on their newest game to date, Warcraft 3(R). And instead going after users expressing their opinions that they do not agree with about the most popular map modifaction to date, DOTA(R). With this unforseen mistake, their MMORPG project which has been years in making, now hangs in the balance of brilliant success, or blazing failure. More news on this current even soon to come.

Credible website:
http://www.cnn.com

Non-credible website
http://www.geocities.com/shadowstriker2004

Cite sources or delete your own post.

hivemind
06-09-04, 06:13
No shit, what the fuck is that drivel? Shit, he's not even talking about WoW, he's talking about Warcraft 3....

ShadowStriker
06-09-04, 07:18
1st hand information is probably the most credible source out there

everything on that particular website is quoted either from the author's first hand info, or gathered from multiple reliable sources

nuff said
flame on

MaGn0lia
06-09-04, 07:39
And now remind me, wich community (one of the larges gaming communities out there) has had trouble with THE MOST INSANELY TIGHT RULES. Oh yeah, you agree with me, that is correct, the battle.net.
No, seriously, they ban guys from talking about cheats and hacks, and if this isn't enough, blizzard allready has more GM's HIRED (yes those guys who are professionals and do it as a profession, not some halfassed fanbois that think they can GM just because they have played through the 10-day trial).

So, I'd like to hear real facts and links to your so called reliable sources, and if that was a straight quote from someone, I'd like to hear from him too, I believe your site is bit far away from the "loop".

joran420
06-09-04, 08:47
of coarse its all quoted from the author.....

It says your name under it ....so you citing yourself :rolleyes:

tbh i dun think anyone on this forum cares..... Ive played WoW btw and it is a pretty bad ass game imho

Vithar
06-09-04, 09:11
Moved to Community Talk.

V

Dajuda
06-09-04, 09:17
Honestly I think the BIGGEST mistake an MMO can make is surpressing negative opinions about the game in the forum and such, everytime I've seen it done the surpressed players find another venue to bitch on and now they have a new (and probably more legitimate) complaint.

Amen.

Samhain
06-09-04, 09:19
Credible website:
http://www.cnn.com

Did that make anyone else laugh?

Vampire222
06-09-04, 10:03
Not me...

phunqe
06-09-04, 10:08

You should always take news from such large agencies with a grain of salt. There's always a peer pressure on such agencies since they are usually affiliated, or connected to in some other way, to politics.

I don't remember exaclty now, but there was this reporter on CNN who bashed Bush over something and you could clearly see how his colleagues reacted. I think he was even fired or received other reprocussions.

CNN and the like is good when you want a brief and swift overview of something. When it comes to building your opinion on the matter, you cannot go by all the /alleged/ facts they state.

Chaos81
06-09-04, 10:14
1st hand information is probably the most credible source out there

everything on that particular website is quoted either from the author's first hand info, or gathered from multiple reliable sources

nuff said
flame on
1) It seems to be your own site.
2) All the information given is largely subject to opinion.
3) I see no sources quoted.

"This chain reaction appears to be set off by Blizzard(R) employees, blatantly ignoring users abusing map hacks, cd key generators, and other unknown forms of cheats on their newest game to date, Warcraft 3(R). "

Now here is how I can refute this:

"
Warcraft III Accounts Closed
Thursday, August 5, 2004
A number of additional accounts and CD keys have been tied to the use of a hack or cheat program while playing Warcraft III on Battle.net. In keeping with our aggressive stance against cheating, we have permanently closed 18,000 Warcraft III accounts. 7,600 of the Warcraft III CD keys used with the now-closed accounts have been banned from ladder play for one month, and 1,400 more have been banned from ladder play permanently. Repeat offenders risk having their CD keys disabled, which will result in the permanent removal of their copies of Warcraft III from Battle.net.

We will continue to monitor Battle.net for cheating and take action as needed. If you would like to report additional instances of hacking or cheating, please notify us at hacks@blizzard.com. A false report filed by one player against another will not result in the actions described above.

As always, thank you for your continued support; with your help we have been able to keep Battle.net a fun and safe place to play Blizzard games. "

http://www.battle.net/ (You can view this news item near the bottom of the page). <--- That is what we like to call a source. Its where you can go to find the information you just read or find out who initiated the info so you can sue thier ass if they made it up.

Credible website:
http://www.cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com/)

[ edited ]

Chaos81
06-09-04, 10:16
You should always take news from such large agencies with a grain of salt. There's always a peer pressure on such agencies since they are usually affiliated, or connected to in some other way, to politics.

I don't remember exaclty now, but there was this reporter on CNN who bashed Bush over something and you could clearly see how his colleagues reacted. I think he was even fired or received other reprocussions.

CNN and the like is good when you want a brief and swift overview of something. When it comes to building your opinion on the matter, you cannot go by all the /alleged/ facts they state.

Case in point don't believe everything you read. Credibility is the quality of being trustworthy. CNN provides us with who they spoke with, which gives up the oppoturnity to go to them to verify the facts if need be.

Samhain
06-09-04, 10:55
Lots of people aren't going to stop and think "oh, I should verify that fact and check sources." They worship their television and think that if it made it on TV, then it MUST be true.

kurai
06-09-04, 11:38
Man ... that Geoshitty (http://www.geocities.com/shadowstriker2004) site is pure ass.

Even JeffK (http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/)'s retarded crayon-chewing younger brother would puke if he saw it.

In fact - it's so ass I'm halfway convinced it's a joke/troll.
I'm no great optimist about the general intelligence of humanity but even I find it hard to believe *that* is a serious effort.

There's one major problem with this if it's a gag - it's been executed by someone with no apparent sense of humour.

juvestar15
06-09-04, 11:50
I think a LOT of MMOs are in trouble over that issue. SWG with their massive and indiscriminate bannings, WoW with their player issues, ect.

Head over to SWG official site and you'll find out the true story.
Once the exploit was found, they took the servers down and fixed the exploit. They then SUSPENDED all accounts that had duped credits. The servers were then put back online. SOE then said "If you think you were wrongly banned then file a complaint". SOE then took each case and investigated further to see who the real exploiters were. I at first said how stupid they were, but now seeing what they did........ i think it was a brilliant thing to do, couldn't have thought of a better way.

As for the WoW thing, i don't think anything/anyone will stop that from being successful(at release).

Original monk
06-09-04, 11:52

hehe thanx for the infoz O_o

dunno bout the site tough, whats that about fighting the system and hackers/carthieves/vandalism etc ? :)

and then the thingie about dope :) is it under construction ? is it pro or contra ? :)

rob444
06-09-04, 12:14
Lol, who the hell believes in a site like that? Looks like a hacker wannabe website hosted on geocities. No, Blizzard DOES CARE about maphackers in their games. I've emailed techsupport about cheating issues and they have stated several times that they are working on it. I know for a fact that MANY uses maphack in Diablo 2 without getting banned, that is because the maphack program doesnt do any illegal moves that the server will catch, for example if the maphack program would attack a monster that is outside of the screen or pick up an item outside of the screen (by teleporting etc.) it would be classified as an illegal move and the server will then know you are using a third party program that does the impossible for you (maphack doesnt do anything I described, it's pure clientside and it just draws the whole map and where all the monsters are etc., which makes it kinda impossible to detect unless Blizzard makes another update which improves clientside security but that will of course be wrapped by d2l****r before you can say pancake). And since latest maphack doesnt do anything of these illegal moves at all it's hard for Blizzard to track the maphack users. Also the latest maphack costs money and Blizzard wouldnt want to buy a cheat for their own game and there is a cracked version of maphack out there but they wouldnt want to download that either since it's piracy. (They want to have it so they can see how it works)

The only way they know if a player is using maphack is if the player says on one of the battlenet servers that they are using maphack, hopefully they are logging all chat on their servers and hopefully people will report people saying that they use maphack. And those TPTK (script) users, bunch of newbies.

Shakari
06-09-04, 17:56
MMOs live or die by their community...

if you don't respect it... your MMO dies.

One thing I've always respected about neocron and KK honestly. They let people out and out say the game is shit on the forums if that's the way they feel without IG and forum banning them. Other games (*ahem* swg *cough*) banned users for complaining and now those users are going around bad-mouthing the game to anyone that will listen (and yes, I am one of those people... banned because I said it was bullshit I got IG banned for reciving a tip of duped credits)

The massive banning in SW:G were for a good reason and were not indescriminate, 200 players approx were banned/suspended being involved in the duping of 550 Billion Credits :/

anyone who had touched the money was suspended and investigation launched into there activities whether they had anything to do with the duping, if they hadn't they were allowed back. this was don't to stop the spread of the duped cash asap. thats way SOE banned/suspended everyone who had touched the duped credits 1st and asked questions later.

Also not some of the ppl who were caught, admitted duping and admitted trying to ruin the games economy :/

so you should appeal against the ban then if you only recieved a tip from the dupped cash you will be allowed back into the game!!

don't slag something off without good reason!! and what u said isn't good reason!!

SOE don't ban anyone for slagging of there game but will ban ppl for exploiting and cheating.

seraphian
06-09-04, 18:46
The massive banning in SW:G were for a good reason and were not indescriminate, 200 players approx were banned/suspended being involved in the duping of 550 Billion Credits :/

anyone who had touched the money was suspended and investigation launched into there activities whether they had anything to do with the duping, if they hadn't they were allowed back. this was don't to stop the spread of the duped cash asap. thats way SOE banned/suspended everyone who had touched the duped credits 1st and asked questions later.

I talked to SOE and their response was something along the lines of: "you recived a diproportionate amount of duped credits, therefore we belive you may have been involved in trying to hide the money for the dupers... we will not reinstate the account involved, but you are free to begin a new one"

In other words: we have a wild guess that you were involved somehow so we're deleting that account and taking the time you paid for... if you want to pay us more money you can still play. Pure Bullshit.

When I complained on the board... *bam* forum-banned.

I wasn't slagging without cause, I have a VERY good reason to be pissed. SOE is NOT reinstating everyone who was innocent, only those who suck up to the GMs and never dare say anything bad about the game...

PS: there's a difference between banning hundreds and banning THOUSANDS... they ban more people each month in SWG than the entire server pop of saturn.

Mattimeo
06-09-04, 22:15
Head over to SWG official site and you'll find out the true story.
Once the exploit was found, they took the servers down and fixed the exploit. They then SUSPENDED all accounts that had duped credits. The servers were then put back online. SOE then said "If you think you were wrongly banned then file a complaint". SOE then took each case and investigated further to see who the real exploiters were. I at first said how stupid they were, but now seeing what they did........ i think it was a brilliant thing to do, couldn't have thought of a better way.

As for the WoW thing, i don't think anything/anyone will stop that from being successful(at release).

You will find the skewed propaganda version of what happened. the suspeneded everyone who had ANY duped credits on their account, and it depended ENTIRELY on who you got from CSR on weather or not you got your account back.

2 friends of mine played. I know they're not cheaters or dupers. One got his account back, another was permanently banned.

And WoW will succeed just fine, but not in the numbers they're hoping for, too much competition that is not Everquest: Rehash. There's another game coming out in November I think people should pay much more attention to, blows everything else out of the water, but NDA forbids me from saying anymore :(

bd*
06-09-04, 22:21
I think WoW will be extremely successful, everyone playing it right now loves it from what i can see on their forums and in-game chat. People cant wait for it to be launched, we wants it, its our precious.

Dont forget, Diablo 2 at one time had the largest number of player accounts for any game (it was in the guiness book of records) so its clear blizzard have the pulling power and know how to keep their population.

NS_CHROME54
07-09-04, 04:13
even informed opinions can oft be wrong, so we shant persecute those who's opinion differs from our own, for it could be our head on the platter next time...

juvestar15
07-09-04, 04:35
You will find the skewed propaganda version of what happened. the suspeneded everyone who had ANY duped credits on their account, and it depended ENTIRELY on who you got from CSR on weather or not you got your account back.

2 friends of mine played. I know they're not cheaters or dupers. One got his account back, another was permanently banned.

And WoW will succeed just fine, but not in the numbers they're hoping for, too much competition that is not Everquest: Rehash. There's another game coming out in November I think people should pay much more attention to, blows everything else out of the water, but NDA forbids me from saying anymore :(

Ok so all these dupers were giving away of duped shit to anyone who walked past? Of course EVERYONE is going to plead innocense. :rolleyes:

I know of around 6 people that were suspended and they tried to get their accounts back but they got perma banned. You know what though? They were actually exploiters.

Mattimeo
07-09-04, 05:04
Ok so all these dupers were giving away of duped shit to anyone who walked past? Of course EVERYONE is going to plead innocense. :rolleyes:

I know of around 6 people that were suspended and they tried to get their accounts back but they got perma banned. You know what though? They were actually exploiters.

No, but said dupers bought items from players, and tipped entertainers. My friends worked together on their player shop. they shared the profits, and neither exploited.

it WAS given to innocent people. and innocent people were permanently banned for no fucking reason. I've known them for 5 years IRL, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they would not cheat.

The SOE version is the version that makes them look good. the real version is, they couldn't give a rats ass.

juvestar15
07-09-04, 09:00
hmm that is weird, the guy i knew had his account re-actived after dupers bought shit off his vendor. Do you know how much was spent?

But what can SOE do Matt? There is no way of knowing(from their point of view) that it wasn't a setup. It's unfortunate but probably the best way to stop cheaters. Collateral damage i guess. :(

Mattimeo
07-09-04, 09:08
hmm that is weird, the guy i knew had his account re-actived after dupers bought shit off his vendor. Do you know how much was spent?

But what can SOE do Matt? There is no way of knowing(from their point of view) that it wasn't a setup. It's unfortunate but probably the best way to stop cheaters. Collateral damage i guess. :(

I think far FAR less people would have been pissed off if they had their credits removed. they knew the duped numbers. At least in that event honest people would have been hurt, but not months and months of work hurt. my friend that was perma banned had 2 jedi holos done. My other friend, and actually quite a few other people, up and quit after this.

Yes, you need to deal with cheaters, but banning the innocent is a poor way to do it. You know several well known dupers got away scott free too.

And if I remember correctly, the guy bought out his entire stock of armor so it was a heavy amount of credits (which were then split my my other friend, was way up in the hundreds of thousands)

juvestar15
07-09-04, 11:05
Ye i dunno why they just didn't delete the money. I visit this SWG exploit site and the guys there always get banned. They just buy another account though and sell credits on ebay. I think it would save everyone time if they did just delete the credits.

Syphn
08-09-04, 03:09
If you think Blizzard stands in troubled waters i reckon you have to rethink that a little. The stress test alone a huge ass download and install.... where limited Cd keys where given out... already has 3x the population of Neocron... i tell you what Neocron is in troubled waters... dare i say Dead water.

G.0.D.
08-09-04, 03:29
Yes, anouther ground breaking story from "http://www.geocities.com/shadowstriker2004/". I go there all the time whether it be to get the lastest information about drugs, blizzard or rap music; That place has it all. Mind you if you hit refresh 4 or 5 times the website will shurly reach is hourly bandwidth cap and shut down, But there is so much content on each page why would you ever need to go elsewhere? If only larger more 'popular' websites were more like it. Then we would surly be living the life.

Sorry for the half assed flame, your post came off as an advertisment for your, dare I say it 'less then good' site.

Koshinn
08-09-04, 07:26
All Information and Art on this page courtesy of myself, Anthony Jamieson, is my private property. Any plagarism or theft on this page will be dealt with via legal action.
Hm.. actually some of the stuff on the site is property of geocities, like some of the layouts and backgrounds.
And um.. plagarism or theft of stuff on his site is slightly laughable and I doubt he will take legal action... and I doubt even more that he will win.