PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle PKing and the Vehicle Interface

___T-X____
05-09-04, 16:40
Im a mid level H-C tank 54/58* (STR Base 87)

And I have recently got into Vehicle PK'ing, inparticularly the Reveller as someone gave me a key. And I have to say that this thing is great ( I wish it was a little faster but hey). The gun absolutely shreds any character, its cuts ppu's down too which is a bonus.

However my main gripe is the interface to get into the vehicle its awkward and slow, especially if you need to get the fuck out of dodge and do a quick escape. Ive died to the slow interface a few times now.

I propose that when the owner of the vehicle clicks onto it, they should just enter the vehicle as a driver as in UT2004. However instead of having to get out then to re-enter it to gun it there should be difineable keys to move around positions in the vehicle if you qualify for the gunner etc. Again this is something in UT2004k and allows you to effectively use a Vehicle like the Hellbender.

Any thoughts ?

RayBob
05-09-04, 16:45
It's a suggestion that many people, myself included, have made many times.

athon
05-09-04, 17:21
I say no.

The Reveller isn't built for operation by a single person driving and shooting. If you want to do that, use one of the vehicles that is.

If the Reveller becomes too effective for PKing they'll just nerf the gun anyway.

Athon Solo

-=BlackBeard=-
05-09-04, 17:23
i like the general thinking of it.... but how about if u click on the driver seat u go straight there, the passenger seat u go there and the gunner u go there

-=bb=-

athon
05-09-04, 17:36
i like the general thinking of it.... but how about if u click on the driver seat u go straight there, the passenger seat u go there and the gunner u go there

-=bb=-
You've then got to divide a Reveller into 5 seperate regions (driver, 3 passengers and a gunner IIRC - maybe it's only 1 passenger). Overall you'll have a much smaller area to click to get into the vehicle, and IMO it would be less intuitive for newer users.

And don't forget this would be 8/9 regions for a troop carrier.

Athon Solo

greendonkeyuk
05-09-04, 17:46
there are 9 number keys on the keypad too. how about a menu pops up and you hit the button you want. gotta be faster than current menu doesnt it.

Doc Holliday
05-09-04, 17:53
You've then got to divide a Reveller into 5 seperate regions (driver, 3 passengers and a gunner IIRC - maybe it's only 1 passenger). Overall you'll have a much smaller area to click to get into the vehicle, and IMO it would be less intuitive for newer users.

And don't forget this would be 8/9 regions for a troop carrier.

Athon Solo

put down the crack. think about what u write. then look again. the reveller is a 3 seater. oh and t-x. u stole my idea mate but thanks for posting it ;)

athon
05-09-04, 18:14
there are 9 number keys on the keypad too. how about a menu pops up and you hit the button you want. gotta be faster than current menu doesnt it.
Altho they could be moved, the numberpad keys are already being used for weapon mods - and the key configuration control panel can't currently deal with 2 keys for different operations.

Athon Solo

athon
05-09-04, 18:14
put down the crack. think about what u write. then look again. the reveller is a 3 seater. oh and t-x. u stole my idea mate but thanks for posting it ;)
*cough*read what is inside the brackets*cough*

Athon Solo

Endar
05-09-04, 19:05
Hell no. Vehicles are NOT supposed to be some fecking bigass armor thing with a huge gun. I mean, if you could drive and jump to cannon seat in 5 secs whats the point of calling it a vehicle. Just call it "ULTIMATE KILLINGMACHINE ARMOR THING WITH UBAH GUN OF HELL!1!!!1"

Scikar
05-09-04, 19:41
Altho they could be moved, the numberpad keys are already being used for weapon mods - and the key configuration control panel can't currently deal with 2 keys for different operations.

Athon Solo
What use do you have for weapon mods when you're driving a vehicle/shooting a vehicle weapon? There's no reason why the numpad keys can't do both.

@Endar: Says who? What else is a Rhino for?

QuantumDelta
05-09-04, 19:49
Tanks and things are meant to be crewed vehicals.
TBH I wonder if it should be possible to Gun a Rhino/Reveller without someone in the driver seat at all ¬.¬

Opar
05-09-04, 19:50
The gun absolutely shreds any character, its cuts ppu's down too which is a bonus.

So you need a fast escape because? 8|

Genty
05-09-04, 19:53

Speaking for experience you need a fast escape when the crowd chasing you gets to about 6 :D

Spermy
05-09-04, 19:57
What use do you have for weapon mods when you're driving a vehicle/shooting a vehicle weapon? There's no reason why the numpad keys can't do both.

@Endar: Says who? What else is a Rhino for?

Basic keybinding rule - You are only supposed to assign one function per key as in heavy CPU loads (among other things) it tends to misbehave...

Scikar
05-09-04, 20:11
Basic keybinding rule - You are only supposed to assign one function per key as in heavy CPU loads (among other things) it tends to misbehave...
I don't seen any reason why that would still apply. Take BF1942 for example. The number keys select your weapon when not within a vehicle. When within a vehicle, the number keys select the vehicle position you want to take control of. Never seen any problems with it.

Clownst0pper
05-09-04, 20:20
Trikes need roofs, so to kill the driver you need to destroy the roof, or destroy the vehicle.

would be so much better.

athon
06-09-04, 00:00
Because he's just been in the gunner seat killing everyone and since all he does is grief play he's become johnny nomates, so he's got no one to be the getaway driver, and he doesn't want to use anything but the Reveller because if it gets destroyed then he'll end up throwing his keyboard through the monitor - again - and bawling on the floor like a baby. :lol:

Athon Solo

Doc Holliday
06-09-04, 00:42
*cough*read what is inside the brackets*cough*

Athon Solo

catch the dummy. put it back in the pram. athon we dont always get along but i was trying to have a bit of banter with you seeing how your one of the only peeps on our goddamned server who bother posting. it was HUMOUR. sorry if it was poorly recieved.

T-X listen to what he says. lol. if u do join ncat u will have zero friends rofl. i tbh might not stick around too but we will chat im sure.

___T-X____
06-09-04, 01:42
Because he's just been in the gunner seat killing everyone and since all he does is grief play he's become johnny nomates, so he's got no one to be the getaway driver, and he doesn't want to use anything but the Reveller because if it gets destroyed then he'll end up throwing his keyboard through the monitor - again - and bawling on the floor like a baby.

Couldnt care less what you or anybody thinks tbh, if you cant take it ingame go play TheSimms, Prisontale or something. Dont bitch about what may or may not be my playing style on the forums.

i tbh might not stick around too but we will chat im sure.

Im still for sticking to the original plan we discussed, a few things are happening and im just talking about stuff which is going on, but this thread aint the place ;)

athon
06-09-04, 09:53
catch the dummy. put it back in the pram. athon we dont always get along but i was trying to have a bit of banter with you seeing how your one of the only peeps on our goddamned server who bother posting. it was HUMOUR. sorry if it was poorly recieved.
My apologies. No offense was intended by the comment.

Athon Solo

winnoc
06-09-04, 10:54
Just use two computers and two accounts :-)

I got a capped HC tank and a melee tank that can gun it...... rules :-)