PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Faction Idea

RayBob
04-09-04, 04:48
In this INTERVIEW (http://www.gamergod.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=67) the developers of Twilight War mention a dynamic faction alliance system.

I think that is a very interesting concept. NC2’s new empire vs. empire system makes it meaningless now but this could have been a good way to deal with the politics that developed between clans as well as a way to allow players to actually affect the world.

It would have been interesting if the faction alliances changed over time depending on players’ actions. Buffing, healing, teaming, resurrecting, and even trading between enemies would over several months make these two factions neutral to each other and eventually allied. Pluto’s long-lived feud between DARK and FF would have eventually changed Crahn and TG into enemies. Etc.

I think it would have been interesting. Oh well.

kurai
04-09-04, 05:47
Yeah - sounds like a nice idea (in theory).

It would need a huge amount of historic data and long term data storage and would cane performance.

Plus systems like that have a natural gradient to the lowest `entropy` state, or `lowest common denominator.
i.e. after a while without lots of very subtle active manipulation things would just average out into one neutral grey lump .
(and we all know how KK have trouble with the concept of `subtle` :D)

However - just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not a good thing to think about.

For NC3/Tokyo Awakes ;) , perhaps ?

Shadow Dancer
04-09-04, 06:11
Ray that idea would own. But we all know it's not gonna happen. :p

dark_reaper
04-09-04, 09:05
Maybee if KK gave the faction counsel an option to allow neutrality or allieship. Have em put up a ballot or what ever and have the people vote if they want to become allies or hostle. If one wants to become allies and the other wants to become enimies, they will switch over to neutral. Let the people of Neocron and Dome of York decide for thier own, not the Devs and GM and stuff like that.

Agent L
04-09-04, 12:44
Yeah, dynamic factions, just like big uberclans. I'm saying that since 1st time I played NC.
Get rid of stupid good vs evil.

Eventually I'd implement some unchangable relationships, like BT-TT, CS-FA, TS-BD should always be enemies coz that's what storyline says.
Oh, wait, cancel that, KK already placed enemies at same sides and forced them to luv each other, nvm.