PDA

View Full Version : how to disable video memory?

Terayon
04-09-04, 01:17
im waiting for my 5900 replacment to come in but my onboard gives me 3-30 fps in p2 and i cant play counter-strike on it. so im using my geforce 2 with burnt out ram on it osmewhere.

so my question is is there a way to disable some or all of the video memory and use the system memory instead? the clock freqs on my geforce 2 mem is 166.5 right now. i have my GART stuff installed aswell.

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 01:23
since your waiting for a 5900 replacement i gues you fried one already ? you already friend your gf 2 to ? maybe you shouldn't oc them that much or do whatever your doing to the poor hardware :p

i still had 20/25 fps in p2 when i used the other comp for one night waiting for my new mobo to arrive ( old mobo wasn't compatible with my new ram ) and that was just a geforce 2 mx with 32 mb ram to ^^

anyway i think you should have some option in the bios were the vid can take some system memory and use that besides its normal memory.. but it wouldn't do fuck all cause it would be just as slow as using the onboard vid imho.. and there aint a way to disable the memory on a gfx card afaik.. unless your gonna rip it off ^^

Terayon
04-09-04, 01:32
mmm well yes i fried my gf2... but my 5900 arrived broken. i know a bit more about overclockign then i did with my gf2. static wrecked my geforce 3. and i cant find any option to disable it. though i changed a setting called agp apature size from 64 to 16 mb. my gf2 is only 32 mb though....

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 01:38
you know.. just to make sure... running a comp with half broken parts useually results in more broken parts ^^

@ least i wouldn't put a fried gf 2 in a good comp who knows how fried it is.. if it shorts out or whatever and fries your agp slot to.. then your fucked :p anyway.. might be better to watch the site of the company were your mobo is from.. but my advise.. keep it to your onboard vid and wait for your geforce 5900.

Lanigav
04-09-04, 11:55
you know.. just to make sure... running a comp with half broken parts useually results in more broken parts ^^

Indeed. Using half broken/half functional parts can occasionally send power surges or fluctuations though the motherboard and/or power supply, affecting other hardware. Its particularly bad with video cards since those are physically connected to the motherboard instead of through a cable, and now use one of the larger power supply connectors as well.

As for overclocking, well, feel free if you have money to burn or are really good at it and have a really great cooling system. Personally I've always believed that if its not broken then don't fix it, but that's just me. ;)

Agent L
04-09-04, 12:28
Agp aperture size is how much of SYSTEM memory is used as window to shift data back and forth between card and mobo.

I don't know of any way to disable card mem. If there is, I think you'd have to mess with card bios, maybe flash it up with bios from smaller mem version? Unless it's "written" in hardware rather than firmware...

alig
04-09-04, 12:38
Just turn the computer off. Leave it off as its broken and go out and enjoy real life until your new stuff arrives otherwise you might end up breaking more stuff in your computer as one thing leads to another.

You would'nt put a half inflated tyre on a car would you? No because it will fuck the car about.

Terayon
04-09-04, 18:39
my bro aparently had a radeon 9700 in the room but i didnt know tell he got home. so i just got rid of nvidia and ran a cleaner and using the radeon tell my 5900 gets here :P i took it out right after i read from killer.

alig
04-09-04, 20:17
Ya know dude, the 9700 is probably better than the 5900 depending which type the both cards are. Like a 9700 NP wont be better than a 5900Ultra but a 9700PRO probably would be for the vast of games.