PDA

View Full Version : Open Beta: The Upload is running

Holger Nathrath
03-09-04, 21:50
We have been really busy working on Neocron 2 the last few weeks. None of the team members has worked less then 14-17 hours every single day. But now the time has almost come. The Beta Version is done and the whole package is beeing uploaded at this very moment :cool:. But as you all know, the real launch has yet to come. :D

The client is 1.622GB. If someone is willing to host a Mirror, please send a PM to DaFire. He's the upload dude :)

You will be notified as soon as the client is available (download as well as multiple seeds). Then it is almost Beta Time, since downloading the client can be a bit time consuming.

We promised Monday - We'll give it Monday ;)

Doc Holliday
03-09-04, 21:51
ooooh. just ooooh. be nice to finally see what it is for its self and not have to listen to all the bollocks people spout.

Leebzie
03-09-04, 21:55
Yay :) :cool: :)

Cant wait to test this out

john irons
03-09-04, 21:55
whoooo 3rd :angel: :)

Spermy
03-09-04, 21:57
Sex Sex Sex Frikin Cool Sex Sex Yay Sex In The Face!

kurai
03-09-04, 21:58
Woohoo ...!

*gets ready to halt his Emp0rnium torrents for a while*

err ... I mean ... umm ... game demo torrents.

Yes.

*cough*

joran420
03-09-04, 22:01
omgomgomgomgomgomg

cant wait...cant think of anything but NC....

yay yay...NC2 is commin

Judge
03-09-04, 22:10
Sounds awesome. :D

Glad to be kept informed, it sounds like things are really started to get going.

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 22:23
If upload started now, does that mean download will start today?
Or should I go back to bed again?

Psycho_Soldier
03-09-04, 22:24
Can you let use download the client over the weekend? Just don't give us the server IP so we can't play. That way we can start playing right away on Monday.

eldiabloz
03-09-04, 22:24
I may need a new download manager :D

BTW kk should contact Ngi.it - Multiplayer.it - Mmorpg.it - tgmonline.it

This sites usually hosts open beta and big size files on cool server ;)

Dribble Joy
03-09-04, 22:27
If someone is willing to host a Mirror, please send a PM to DaFire. He's the upload dude :)
*pokes G.O.D.*

Vampire222
03-09-04, 22:31
<3 kk

People, also if you got a big ass connection *upload* then seed it too... sharing is CARING :D

Frotto
03-09-04, 22:40
I will be graciously donating my companies OC3 connection... alteast for the first week or so. (we needed a good bandwidth test anyways) right?

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 22:42
I will be graciously donating my companies OC3 connection... alteast for the first week or so. (we needed a good bandwidth test anyways) right?
DM DaFire dude dude

Satocastix
03-09-04, 22:44
Put it on FilePlanet! People will rush in en masse!

Frotto
03-09-04, 22:45
dude... i already did... dude (inresponse to sending dafire a message)

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 22:45
Put it on FilePlanet! People will rush in en masse!
We're going BT, not some shitty http/ftp crap

Spermy
03-09-04, 22:46
Random SEX KK COMMENT

ZOOOOOM!

Vampire222
03-09-04, 22:48
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html

BT roz

Satocastix
03-09-04, 23:24
I meant to submit to have it put on the FilePlanet front page. Who is "we," anyway?

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 23:25
I meant to submit to have it put on the FilePlanet front page. Who is "we," anyway?
We? As in not only me?

Dribble Joy
03-09-04, 23:34
The torrent file should be put on file planet anyway, if only to get more people in it due to the added publicity.

Jonax
03-09-04, 23:35
I'm just wondering Holger - Are the clients for the closed & open betas essentially the same, or are there any significant changes?

If there are the same client with changes in it, then maybe our closed b-testers can start seeding it on BT for the rest of us :D

MrChumble
03-09-04, 23:36
If anyone needs a BitTorrent client, I recommend http://www.torrentstorm.com

There are some other good ones, but that was is reliable enough.

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 23:39
I'm just wondering Holger - Are the clients for the closed & open betas essentially the same, or are there any significant changes?

If there are the same client with changes in it, then maybe our closed b-testers can start seeding it on BT for the rest of us :D
They could, if it wasn't for the NDA,
they're not allowed to share any stuff they got from the beta
including the client
Didn't you read it?

Holger Nathrath
04-09-04, 00:12
People who played the closed Beta can still use their client. But there is a little patchload of about 300MB what you have to download ;)

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 00:18
When can we start downloading the schiznitz?

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 00:30
yay finaly open beta ^^ 1.6 gb shouldn't be to bad if its hosted on a fast connection.. if i download @ night without my bro and dad online then ( duh they need sleep to :p ) i think i can download it in 1 night..

playing offline games anyway so it can take all time it wants :p

ow btw.. make sure the people hosting it got the space / limit.. i remember alot of people hosting the trailer and after 2 days half the mirrors shut down due passing their download / upload limit.

Jonax
04-09-04, 00:43
They could, if it wasn't for the NDA,
they're not allowed to share any stuff they got from the beta including the client
Didn't you read it?

You mean the NDA that the beta testers have access to? Why would I have access to it? :rolleyes:

Besides - If the NDA is a standard one, then KK would likely have say of what material under the NDA (if any) can be released to the public for one reason or another. Hence the question :)

virgil caine
04-09-04, 00:45
Wow, this is great, I'm so excited, thanks guys

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 00:48
You mean the NDA that the beta testers have access to? Why would I have access to it? :rolleyes:

Besides - If the NDA is a standard one, then KK would likely have say of what material under the NDA (if any) can be released to the public for one reason or another. Hence the question :)
It was posted on some page around here for one reason?

And also what says the closed is the same as open?
NC1 beta had new clients all the time IIRC
But ye, if they got the same as open, let it rip!

Omnituens
04-09-04, 00:53
good fucking job i got monday off.

Xizor
04-09-04, 01:08
Yay, this looks good..oh wait, I just got an email saying my new PC won't come until 22. sep instead of today o_O

Great nonetheless.

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 01:13
on the nda bit.. everybody saying that he/she/it is in closed beta gets his ass ripped out of it.. tho then again.. with open beta so close i gues some people would risk it..

/me runs off to some friends and asks to put their beta download online :p

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 01:18
KILLER']on the nda bit.. everybody saying that he/she/it is in closed beta gets his ass ripped out of it.. tho then again.. with open beta so close i gues some people would risk it..

/me runs off to some friends and asks to put their beta download online :p

Risking that might get people banned you know..
Which = no forums and no open beta either if yer unlucky

You run off and do that :p o_O

CR@SH
04-09-04, 01:18
So will this be up on fileplanet? I wanna take full advantage of my file planet subscribers only servers :D . And torrents = teh suck

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 01:19
So will this be up on fileplanet? I wanna take full advantage of my file planet subscribers only servers :D . And torrents = teh suck
Torrent ownz any ftp there is since it hasn't got bottlenecks and no downtime if just enough people want it.
And it's on BT not fileplanet :p
Why? Cuz half of us don't give a **** ***** about fileplanet and isn't to keen on signing up there either..

That's what I've heard

amfest
04-09-04, 01:25
woo hoo . .. I won't be able to play because my main pc is broken (although not like it matters since it's a p3 500 mhz >_< ) Anyhow I can't wait to read all the Praise threads . .and the people who crash once and start badmouthing neocron 2. Then I can search all the other boards and see all the people who hate neocron who won't even try neocron 2 just crap on it to get people to look away from it because they got nothing better to do ;)

w00t!

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 01:26
woo hoo . .. I won't be able to play because my main pc is broken (although not like it matters since it's a p3 500 mhz >_< ) Anyhow I can't wait to read all the Praise threads . .and the people who crash once and start badmouthing neocron 2. Then I can search all the other boards and see all the people who hate neocron who won't even try neocron 2 just crap on it to get people to look away from it because they got nothing better to do ;)

w00t!
Is that a good thing in any way?

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 01:27

who is so mad to subscribe from fp never get something from there.. can't be botherd everything there i can get by some other way to :p any download link i click and FP comes up i just hit f4 asap :p

Risking that might get people banned you know..
Which = no forums and no open beta either if yer unlucky

You run off and do that :p o_O

well if i contacted you on msn telling you to put the beta download online so i could download it.. then after monday ask you to put the 300 mb updates online to..

who's gonna notice ? ^^ ( btw not stating your in beta or something to get that clear :p ) btw missing open beta wouldn't be THAT bad i gues.. alot of people will get me info anyway :p and playing x2 atm and building my empire r0x :p

but errr.. i'll quit bsing.. /me waits for monday....

Judge
04-09-04, 01:51
I have 4th and 5th block free on Monday, and basically I'm going to mission it home to play on the Open Beta. Will be awesome.

boombang
04-09-04, 01:58
I hope that its more complete than the closed beta, have heard from some people who are involved, that its not absolutely finished - lots of bits missing

[TgR]KILLER
04-09-04, 02:10
I hope that its more complete than the closed beta, have heard from some people who are involved, that its not absolutely finished - lots of bits missing

why you think there is a 300 mb "patch" for the closed beta download ? :rolleyes:

Dribble Joy
04-09-04, 02:11
Why would it be complete if we are having a open beta.
Yes the open beta is really a stress test, but why rush stuff when you still have time to test things.

joran420
04-09-04, 02:12
it could very well have lots of bits missing.....keep in mind it is still beta...even if it is open beta almost retail

Richard Slade
04-09-04, 02:14
it could very well have lots of bits missing.....keep in mind it is still beta...even if it is open beta almost retail
No. Not almost retail
A guideline for retail.

mystery8
04-09-04, 03:09
Awesome.

Cypher_Psy
04-09-04, 04:17
Is there an e.t.a for when the upload is complete and download is available?
:D :D :D

Impatient (for once), I would like to set the download going overnight ;)

Lanigav
04-09-04, 11:43
Torrent downloads are usually 1/4 - 1/3 as fast as an FTP or HTTP transfer for me. I really hope someone uploads it to a server like that so I don't have to wait three to four times as long, particularly for such a large download.

El Barto
04-09-04, 11:52
Sexeh

RayBob
04-09-04, 12:14
Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :D

Maarten
04-09-04, 12:50
Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :D

Are we there yet?
Yes.
Really??
NO!!!

:D

garyu69
04-09-04, 13:00
I thought it was being BT'ed?

landofcake
04-09-04, 13:05
I thought it was being BT'ed?
Even if that is the case, there will need to be an initial seed, or no-one will be able to get the file ;)

garyu69
04-09-04, 13:07
thats easy enough, just release the Bit Torrent file now and don't start the seed until Monday.

nobby
04-09-04, 14:06
Yeah! Comeon Comeon!!!!

Dribble Joy
04-09-04, 14:33
There will probably be a few seeds from the KK servers.

sPooT
04-09-04, 16:04
Can't wait... *fires up Azureus and cancels the cough*warez*cough

Btw, am I the only one who thinks Richard should get some sleep? He responsible for like half this thread lol :)

(j/k m8)

joran420
04-09-04, 16:30
damn guess they just left it to upload over the weekend...I thought he meant it would be available for early DL :/

Subdue
04-09-04, 19:02
bah, i start college on monday :( guess al have to play it when i get home.

best not lead to me failing college..... again :mad:

Satocastix
04-09-04, 19:17
bah, i start college on monday :( guess al have to play it when i get home.

best not lead to me failing college..... again :mad:
And I thought I was unlucky. I won't be able to play until Tuesday, and you have to go to college. Sorry to hear that... :(

zcasper420
04-09-04, 20:17
Is it ready yet? How long does it take to upload this file? Maybe KK should upgrade to 56k technology to speed up the upload!

Satocastix
04-09-04, 20:27
I believe I heard that it will be available for download the day before the Open Beta begins. Of course, I heard that about a week ago. Just a rumor, too. 8|

naimex
05-09-04, 01:10
....mirror a 1.6 gb file ?? O.o

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.....

Well canīt say he didnīt offer the chance.. lol

Endar
05-09-04, 08:09
BitTorrent download is just as fast as the peoples connections that download it + seeders. So I REALLY hope there wont be some selfish morons that just download it on 100/10% ration... Just dont close the BitTorrent before you have atleast send as much as you have downloaded.

I usually try to seed 100/200% because I usually download anime and in those pages there are wayyy too many assholios that just download and cut the connection. Some of those morons even have tweaked the upload amount... Just tell me whats the point in that? Its not like your going to seed that file anyway...

Luckily one of the best anime-torrent sites started to check those UL/DL rations and started to ban people for only downloading and not seeding. Happy meh :D

ModeSix
05-09-04, 09:11
Sweeet... I've been waiting uhh... 2 years for this!

Tratos
05-09-04, 12:01
Its Almost Monday :p

Dargeshaad
05-09-04, 12:55
In Nuku'alofa it's Monday in 5 minutes....!

dem0n
05-09-04, 13:02
Can a correct MD5 sum be posted please?

Scarus
05-09-04, 13:02
Damn lucky Nuku'alofations they've been downloading the beta for 2 minutes :p

Can't wait for open beta, witnessing the mysteries which NC2 brings.. and the hilarious novelty items we all want!

-Scarus

MeWhiteWolf
05-09-04, 13:34
what time zones monday is the beta released?
i'm at GMT +10 is it GMT monday?
or something different?

Richard Slade
05-09-04, 13:40
what time zones monday is the beta released?
i'm at GMT +10 is it GMT monday?
or something different?
Think GERMAN

MeWhiteWolf
05-09-04, 14:06
yeah ok well there's more than one isn't there i meant which are they using...
geez i figured the german - u see i'm going to have to start it /ling and go to work and was looking to give an arrival time to the others at work

John Niba
05-09-04, 14:09
I think the torrent file will be available around 10-12 o'clock german time

cRazy2003
05-09-04, 14:15
People who played the closed Beta can still use their client. But there is a little patchload of about 300MB what you have to download ;)

shit :p

Spermy
05-09-04, 14:34
shit :p

Well, it's better than this mega client! BTW anyone in the Yookay, As soon as I've finished getting the files - I'm a whack it on a dvd - or maybe a few - Anyone let me know if they need a copy, and gimme the snail addy plz

:angel:

msdong
05-09-04, 14:58
I think the torrent file will be available around 10-12 o'clock german time

uh, bad luck. you posted on 14:09 german time :D

get yourself a world clock

-Demon-
05-09-04, 15:18
Thinking about the time...hmm I wonder hopefully it will before I goto work in the morning if not I'm to have to get my Gf to get it so its ready and waiting for me when i get in.

Btw how does Bit Torrent work is still click a link or wat...damn i need to read up about this...never used it before lol.

hmm might take the car tomorrow to get home early too muhahha

:p

cRazy2003
05-09-04, 15:19
am i the only one who isnt bothered about open beta?

-Demon-
05-09-04, 15:45
am i the only one who isnt bothered about open beta?

Yes probably...but be my guest and play with yourself on pluto haha j/king.

I'm interested it what it looks like now and testing out hacknet mainly.

SPIKE (pluto)
05-09-04, 15:52
im gonna hae to download it over the course of 2 days :(

f**king 1gb a day download limit :mad:

Jonax
05-09-04, 16:02
Btw how does Bit Torrent work is still click a link or wat...damn i need to read up about this...never used it before lol.

I'd recommend you check out bitconjurer.org (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html) for the official guide, but as a few will probably be asking the same questions I'll be as concise as I can :)

Although the BT network is primarily used for P2P nowadays, it was created to share large files (hence why people have been asking about using it for distributing the beta client :)).

Head to the site above, download the BT client and install it. After that, BT will automatically run when a .TORRENT file is downloaded and opened.

Large files are split into "chunks" and are downloaded from "seeds" (users who have the full file and connect to the network to upload to others) by downloaded. Those who have got a particular chunk upload it to others and the reverse applies (i.e. you download a chunk that another downloader has).

The benefit of this system is that hundreds of people aren't downloading from the same place; downloaders connect to however many are on the BT network with the file, and hence KK's servers aren't overloaded and Holger doesn't get a huge bill for bandwidth ;)

One thing though is that while it wasn't officially for P2P usage, there was a little anti-leech system installed - Basically, the speed at which you download is limited by your upload speed. It means that at the start of a download, you will get crappy speeds - But give it an hour or so though to download chunks and you can start to get very good speeds on it :) There are clients out there which can break the u/l-d/l proportionality (and I will not name any :mad: ), but if others are willing to share the client with you the last thing you want to do is arse-f*** them as thanks :rolleyes:

There ya go, hope that helped :) If anyone's still got questions, feel free to ask :) Except how I (or anyone else here) knew all of this :angel:

Jonax
05-09-04, 16:04
im gonna hae to download it over the course of 2 days :(

f**king 1gb a day download limit :mad:

If you're with NTL, note that they'll only say something with you go over the limit significantly on at least three days over a 14-day period.

And that's if they say anything at all :D

Hey Burner
05-09-04, 16:15
Ack! Don't even have broadband available where I live now. Will only take about 2 months to download it at this speed then, Cool! I think I'm gonna start playing Planetside again until NC2 is out. Yeah... You heard... Planetside! :eek:

roadkill
05-09-04, 16:45
Looking forward to it. Let just hope its as good as everyone wants it to be.

trigger hurt
05-09-04, 17:35
My one question is this. How are you going to ensure that people will seed after they have finished leeching? My experience with bit torrent is that most people just stop the transfer after they reach 100% download.

Satocastix
05-09-04, 17:57
It's a pretty damn big file. People will probably have motivation to leave it overnight, and by the time they wake up, they'll have seeded a lot of it. For example I set 3 GB to download at around 2 AM, got home at 3 PM from school, and I had seeded 2 GB.

CarniFlex
05-09-04, 19:01
Ack! Don't even have broadband available where I live now. Will only take about 2 months to download it at this speed then, Cool! I think I'm gonna start playing Planetside again until NC2 is out. Yeah... You heard... Planetside! :eek:

You dont have a school or internet cafe around that could burn it on a disc for you?

joran420
05-09-04, 19:20
give us the fuckin seed already i cant wait any longer

Spermy
05-09-04, 19:31
give us the fuckin seed already i cant wait any longer

Probly be available monday morning... Just started up NC1 and though - sod it... Tried fruityloops for a bit, made a choon... got bored wandered off. Dunno what to do with me sen...

It's only cos I'm looking forward to summat tho... ussually i have a million and on things I could do, but i just can't be arsed with any today... Mite just have a few beers...

*Toddles off to shop*

cRazy2003
05-09-04, 23:10
Yes probably...but be my guest and play with yourself on pluto haha j/king.

works for me :p

garyu69
05-09-04, 23:11
There are just probably way too many people trying to download off the seeds at the moment and not enough seeds for the amount of downloaders.

We'll just have to be patient until more seeds i guess.

Danae
05-09-04, 23:43
*points out we can see ips of who is sharing and who isn't and spanks the non sharers severely :p*

I'm on 56k so I feel your collective pain - I just to DL big files while sleeping.

[TgR]KILLER
05-09-04, 23:57
My one question is this. How are you going to ensure that people will seed after they have finished leeching? My experience with bit torrent is that most people just stop the transfer after they reach 100% download.

well if it keeps running as it does now i will shut down the client when finish downloading to free up con for the rest of the fam for one.. and on the other side downloaded 30 mb and uploaded almost 40 already.. uploading is going faster then downloading lol. ( looooooooooooooooong way to go till its finished tho )