PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Dragon Empires canceled

Cubico
03-09-04, 12:44
Hi,

I just heard in another forum that Codemasters stopped the development of Dragon Empires. :(

Can anyone confirm?

I really liked the idea that a clan can takeover a city and set taxes and such.

Richard Slade
03-09-04, 13:42
What?
Might aswell just kill myself then... :(

Clownst0pper
03-09-04, 13:42
I was right looking forward to that :(

Morganth
03-09-04, 13:46
I was looking forward to that too. Looked like a wicked game.

EDIT:

Its official: http://www.codemasters.co.uk/press/?showarticle=6188

Vampire222
03-09-04, 13:52
The more people will play neocron 2 :D

Genty
03-09-04, 14:01
Well, that is what I call a shock. :(

Eddie
03-09-04, 16:49
Damnit. Here's a copy and paste off MMORPG.com:

In yet another shocking blow to the MMORPG community, Codemasters announced today that their highly acclaimed fantasy game "Dragon Empires" has been cancelled due to "technical issues". Here is the official, and very sad release from them:

Dragon Empires development ceased due to technical issues

Codemasters has taken the decision to cancel further development of Dragon Empires, the company's massively multiplayer online role playing project.

Dragon Empires received incredible support from its online community and won acclaim from PC and online media while in development. However, technical issues have resulted in the project's discontinuation.

Many of the game's development team, including programmers and artists, are being transferred to Codemasters' internal development studios to work on current and future titles.

The decision to close Dragon Empires' development does not impact on Codemasters' long-term ambitions in the massively multiplayer online gaming market and the company remains very active in evaluating future opportunities.

The Dragon Empires website and its popular community forums will remain live at www.codemasters.co.uk/dragonempires for the immediate future.

We will be keeping Dragon Empires on our game list as well as our forums for at least 2-3 more weeks to allow our members to absorb this painful loss. We at MMORPG.com would like to thank Codemasters for their innovations and contributions to this ever-evolving genre and their cooperation with our community and staff. We wish all of the development team there great success in their new projects.

*sigh*

Eddie

Biznatchy
03-09-04, 16:59
all you can say is WOW.

(yes there is a pun in there)

Rade
03-09-04, 17:05
technical issues have resulted in the project’s discontinuation.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

SypH
03-09-04, 17:13
Well bugger=/ Apart from NC that was the only MMO I ever really had any interest in.

mr murb
03-09-04, 17:15
my first email from them was from feb 2003. They just never produced the game or went very far in the beta process. Back then I thought the game would be cool. But it dragged on for so long I gave up on them.

Judge
03-09-04, 18:17
I was really interested in it... but I reckon that murb is right, wasn't the Beta meant to end relatively early this year or something? And then the game released a few months after that. Fuck, some people are going to be severely pissed off.

It sucks that another MMORPG has gone down, looks like the bandwagon is starting to fall apart.

Rade
03-09-04, 18:22
It sucks that another MMORPG has gone down, looks like the bandwagon is starting to fall apart.

What, you think people wont make/play mmorpgs anymore? That reminds me
of something I heard someone say once.. "This internet fad will blow over."

Clownst0pper
03-09-04, 18:29
"This internet fad will blow over."

Dotcom's have :p

Judge
03-09-04, 18:31
What, you think people wont make/play mmorpgs anymore? That reminds me
of something I heard someone say once.. "This internet fad will blow over."

Obviously not, but there was a massive boom of MMORPG development a few years ago, and now recently Warhammer online, that M$ norse game and now DE have all been canceled. It just seems like the companies overestimated the amount of people who would be interested in MMORPGs in the coming years or something. Obviously people will still play/make them, but there were just too many being made or already around atm for the amount of people who want to play MMORPGs.

Rade
03-09-04, 18:40
Obviously not, but there was a massive boom of MMORPG development a few years ago, and now recently Warhammer online, that M$ norse game and now DE have all been canceled. It just seems like the companies overestimated the amount of people who would be interested in MMORPGs in the coming years or something. Obviously people will still play/make them, but there were just too many being made or already around atm for the amount of people who want to play MMORPGs.

There are 100s of mmorpgs in development right now more than ever before.
But computer games get canned 95% of the time, mmorpgs are no
different. No need to get worried its all normal ;)

Judge
03-09-04, 19:10
But when three rather high profile ones do get cancelled, you have to start worrying?

Seven
03-09-04, 19:25
Damn, another Fantasy MMORPG aborted. There's hardly any left... :p

Rade
03-09-04, 19:36
But when three rather high profile ones do get cancelled, you have to start worrying?

I wouldnt sweat it. MMORPGs are a rather new concept and people still have
problems coping with the massive amount of organization thats needed to
back such an undertaking.

dem0n
03-09-04, 19:52
- Black Isle got shut down
- Interplay stopped developing FO3 [for years until the rights were bought off by some other development company]

and now this? *sigh*

[edit]
in the end I realise that the MMOs which went gold [from the financial point of view, the one and only reason a development exists at all] were the first ones... UO, EQ, DAoC.

VerbalPEZ
03-09-04, 20:15
I believe that the market is still there but the amount of money/technology it takes to develop/launch/run/sustain an MMORPG is often underestimated. Especially now that our standard for graphics has risen and our expectation of content was originally set so high.

I was watching DE and was wondering what ever happened to that beta but really... I like PvP... I like guns... I like perpetual worlds... I like ownership... I like CyberPunk... Neocron is the only game that meets all these requirements... although I think it needs about three times the content and a lot more effective marketing.

VerbalPEZ
03-09-04, 20:17
Demon you forgot: CoH, SWG, Lineage, and Lineage 2 all of which have a 6 figure subscriber base.

Benjie
03-09-04, 20:37
I bet techincal issues means they don't think they can compete with Blizzard.

- Interplay stopped developing FO3 [for years until the rights were bought off by some other development company]
Tbh Fallout 3 looked a bit crap. I actually trust Bethesda more than I do Interplay.
Fallout 3 Screenshot (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=128)
Fallout 3 Screenshot (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=127)

rob444
03-09-04, 20:40
That was one hell of a nice engine they had in that game :(

Benjie
03-09-04, 20:56

What, you think people wont make/play mmorpgs anymore?
There is a "Hay, lets make our franchise into an mmo!" bandwagon, and I hate it.

I don't ever want to see Elder Scrolls Online. Elder Scrolls 4 with a co-operative component would be nice though.
I really resent that interplay are considering a Fallout Online too.

Shadow Dancer
03-09-04, 21:03
Elder Scrolls 4 with a co-operative component would be nice though.

Omg, that would be awesome. Exploring caves, mountains, and dungeons with a friend.

I'll play a wizard while my m8 plays a warrior. omg leet. :p

MkVenner
03-09-04, 21:07
I didnt think those FO3 screens were "official"?

n e way if u want a fallout MMO the closest u gunna get in fallen earth, which atm looks and sounds fecking great

Benjie
03-09-04, 21:10
Omg, that would be awesome. Exploring caves, mountains, and dungeons with a friend.

I'll play a wizard while my m8 plays a warrior. omg leet. :p
Elder Scrolls Online is being considered. I have been into Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall back in 1997, and I hate all these new fans (people calling it Morrowind 2 is a dead give away) who think Elder Scrolls would be good as an MMORPG. It would be terrible. That is one enviroment I do not want kids to ruin. Basicly, kids ruin mmorpg's.

n e way if u want a fallout MMO
I really don't, and interplay are heavily considering one. :(

shodanjr_gr
03-09-04, 21:13
There is a shitload of irony in this actually...

When Warhammer Online got canceled, i was reading in PC Zone that a member of the Dragon Empires team came out and said that their game didnt face such problems at all :p

Worst of it was that PC Zone hoped that Dragon Empires wouldnt suffer the same fate as WH:O. Damn i would stay far away from that magazine if i was a game developer.

MkVenner
03-09-04, 21:16
well i dont want a FALLOUT mmo, but one that captures the character and scene of a post-apocolyptic world like fallout did, i wouldnt want a fallout mmo to stain the name of fallout, but a decent post-apoc game wit hthe same sorta scope would be sweet

and imo fallen earth is that :p

Benjie
03-09-04, 21:26
fallen earth is that
Or Twilight War.

jernau
04-09-04, 00:51
FMR :(

Tbh Fallout 3 looked a bit crap. I actually trust Bethesda more than I do Interplay.
Fallout 3 Screenshot (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=128)
Fallout 3 Screenshot (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=127)
Looks like Fallout to me so that works :D.

I tend to agree on the Fallout as an MMO thing. I can't see how the humour and atmosphere would work at all in an MMORPG. I wouldn't worry about it though - I can't see anyone even trying it in the foreseeable future.

dark_reaper
04-09-04, 22:32
No wonder I cannot log into my Codemasters beta account.

Jesterthegreat
04-09-04, 22:55
had been on the beta list for like a year...
didnt get an invite so far...

lost interest

-=Daz=-
05-09-04, 01:46
Damn tht game did look good :( jus means more time for NC2 for me i guess ;)

dark_reaper
05-09-04, 05:41
I think I signed up for Dragon Empires the same time I have signed up for Neocron Beta 3. I got accepted for dragon empires. Without notice I do not have a beta account for Dragon Empire.

Leebzie
05-09-04, 09:58
In reply to most of the posts on page #1, refering to the MMORPG industry

I seem to find for some reason the biggest offput for nearly all my mates who I simply cant seem to talk into neocron is the cash :/

Its like they're all interested and stuff and talk about going out and getting copies etc until suddenly it becomes an issue involving credit cards. (and the alternate payment solutions seem too complicated or too much hassle)surprisingly to me people still seem to be afraid of using thier cards on the net.

The only people ive really managed to get into the games are the ones ive let sit and play my account for a few days. Even despite their initial discomfort with paying with thier CC's etc, or the hassle with the alternate methods, they went to the trouble and now play NC alongside me.

NC2 should do what SW:G did, with that 14-day free trial. I have to admit, I was *very* tempted for a while, it was probably only the fact that i went on holiday a few days before the end of my trial that i got it out of my system.

(A free trial with no CC's, no payment, nothing, just register and sign up, several systems could be employed to stop exploiting of this, i certainly couldnt find a way round SWG's, and I tried :P)

Shakari
05-09-04, 12:56
Damn I was looking forward to playing that :/ bleah oh well Just better hope NC2 lives upto my hopes :D

[TgR]KILLER
05-09-04, 13:26
just watched there forums a bit.. the devs ( well ex devs now ) said it is cannceld because there were loads of bugs and stuff in the server code and even after months and with external companys they couldn't fix it so the game got canceld as it was a to big risk or something..

ow and yea beta was planned for jan this year. so they overshot that by miles.