PDA

View Full Version : Bit torrent / neocron 2 open beta.

mr murb
02-09-04, 22:53
Is it a given that the open neocron 2 beta will only be available via bit torrent?

If this is the case.

Can any of you recommend a bit torrent client for windows? And explain why your client is better than any of the others?

Do any of these clients stop / reduce uploading? I can’t shut down uploading on the client I have without affecting the download speed.

And I wish to reduce, better yet stop the uploads to speed up my downloading.

Or is just the way bit torrent programs works. To make you share stuff.

Are there add on programs that reduce the upload speed without affecting the download speed on bit torrent?
I have heard of net limiter but not have tried it. Do these type of programs work with bit torrent. Does anyone have experience with these type of programs and can you recommend ones if they work well.

I have read this FAQ http://dessent.net/btfaq but you help would be appreciated.

joran420
02-09-04, 22:55
you can stop uploads on most programs...but it will slow your D/l down quite a bit....

Shareaza is what i use just for sake of easy interface

Spermy
02-09-04, 22:59
The upload is you sending whatever fragments of your download are there - you may have a higher upload rate than D/L but AFAIK, you won't actually be sending that volume, for the sake of all the other peeps D/ling NC2s client - keep the upload at default,as more seeds make a faster d/l for everyone - and if you have an uber connection - when the D/l is finished - just leave it on while you install the client - every little seed helps.

Jaenus
02-09-04, 23:13
I'm partial to Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) myself. Even lets you limit the download/upload speed so you don't max out your connection. Play nice though, keep it running until your ratio is at least 1 :)

zii
02-09-04, 23:13
Another programme I have to install once and then delete :( Long live the crapulator.

mr murb
02-09-04, 23:15
I don’t have a uber connection. And I am a selfish bastard.
My allowed upload speed is a lot smaller than my allowed download speed and based on my experience with other P2P programs. If I upload at my max speed it really slows down my download speed. Even if the number of bits going thru my pipe overall is a lot less. This never made sense to me. But that is the way it is. Hence why I want to reduce the amount of uploading.

alig
02-09-04, 23:19
I just get shit speeds anyway uploading and downloading. I download through bittorrent at max 100kb/s and the last couple times i did i uploaded at 0kb/s. Which doesnt bother me but the download speeds is kinda off-putting when your running a 1.5mb line. Fucking NTL.

Oh i use bittornado and shareaza.

Cytaur
02-09-04, 23:59
bit tornado...
www.bittornado.com

Terayon
03-09-04, 00:02
i use G3torrent (http://g3torrent.sourceforge.net/) and it has always seemed to work well for me.

oh and i like it becouse you can change your dload and upload rates and only need one window for as many torrents as you want at a time. lots of options.

if you want somthing simple with some upload options try experimental bittorent.

Vampire222
03-09-04, 00:04
I use http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ works for me... and im pretty sure itll be on regular fileservers soon after, but torrents can be freaking fast (talking about legit ones, not warez ones, where a big ass server seeds)

Sakletare
03-09-04, 01:52
I'm sure some of the nicer community members will post the beta installer on their sites within a few hours of release so you can download it without using bit torrent if you want.

sanityislost
03-09-04, 02:02
shareaza.....its sexy

SiL ..:..

Mumblyfish
03-09-04, 02:05
G3 Torrent here. It has a sleek interface, it's VERY user-friendly, and gets faster speeds than Azareus (from my experience). If you ever want to, it's also got loads of advanced options and graphs you can fiddle with to look important. I can't recommend ANY client higher than G3.

amfest
03-09-04, 02:16
I'm sure some of the nicer community members will post the beta installer on their sites within a few hours of release so you can download it without using bit torrent if you want.Yea I'm sure if they can handle hosting the actual size. It's over a gig remember. Not only that but just a few people downloading and you'd have sent a crapload of data. This shouldn't have to happen. KK should give another alternative.

Basically we shoudln't have to share amongst ourselves. I sure hope we don't have to download the paid client this way also. Not sure anymore if we were going to have that option, but if we do we shoudln't have to give our upload for something that we paid for to other buyers. Sure we can disable the upload on our BT clients but umm that isn't how BT is suppose to work, It's a P2P share client. The more seeds the better it is for all.

It just seems to me someone said . . . hmmm BT works were the clients download in chunks out of the file and then the peer downloading begins to upload the chunk to someone else. I know we can save on Bandwidth costs by using this and forcing the players to give to other players!

:\

Oh yea and I use Bittornado ;) since it was what became of the Experimental Client to Shadow's Experimental Client to Bittornado ^^

Drake6k
03-09-04, 02:27
bit tornado...
www.bittornado.com

Yep, the best!

kurai
03-09-04, 03:28
I've fiddled with most of the BitTorrent clients around, and find Azureus to be the best by quite a margin.

Default settings are sensible, but you can change virtually every setting in a simple manner if you wish, either globally or per torrent, or even per self-created catgeory.

garyu69
03-09-04, 10:18
I just use the standard BitTorrent Client.

I also use a program called NetLimiter at the same time to limit how much i upload.

I've found limiting my upload to 18k gets me a decent download speed too.

amfest
03-09-04, 11:15
I just use the standard BitTorrent Client.

I also use a program called NetLimiter at the same time to limit how much i upload.

I've found limiting my upload to 18k gets me a decent download speed too.
Umm I do believe you can limit the upload on the standard by opening up a dos promt and putting in some commands. NetLimiter shouldnt' be needed unless you're just using it for everything you do ;)

garyu69
03-09-04, 11:17
Umm I do believe you can limit the upload on the standard by opening up a dos promt and putting in some commands. NetLimiter shouldnt' be needed unless you're just using it for everything you do ;)
But i'm lazy.
And Netlimiter gives you a funky Graph :D

amfest
03-09-04, 11:20
But i'm lazy.
And Netlimiter gives you a funky Graph :D
oooo gotta love funkky graphs . .. ^^

Akuji
03-09-04, 11:28
Personally i use Azureus (sp)

Has lots of handy little plugins.... for those special times..

garyu69
03-09-04, 11:34
or those special times..oooooo, thats sounds better than graphs. What kinda of special times?

Glok
03-09-04, 11:34
I've never used bittorrent, I never download anything aside from patches for games. I guess I better learn. :o

CkVega
03-09-04, 11:42
Azureus and Bit tornado are both very good clients. G3 torrents is nothing but a leechers client so steer clear of that unless you wanna annoy people, in which case, go ahead. O_o

Personally, I use Azureus. Its reliable and allows me to give priority to cirtain files in a single torrent download (Tornado can do this to, I just prefer azureus)

Akuji
03-09-04, 12:13
Personally, I use Azureus. Its reliable and allows me to give priority to cirtain files in a single torrent download (Tornado can do this to, I just prefer azureus)

That and the bad ip blocking plugin...

Frotto
03-09-04, 12:40
not to sound mentally challenged or anything but we dont have access to the beta client yet do we? I am planning on hosting the beta client, and it will be on a server that has a 14 mb upload to the internet so it should be fast enough to help out... though i'll only be able to leave it up for a week or so. More info to come.

Viper Venom
03-09-04, 21:16
erm, hjow many of the nice users have 1.6gig storage on there sites and have enogh bandwith on there sites to alow transfer lol

QuantumDelta
03-09-04, 21:19
I'm partial to Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) myself. Even lets you limit the download/upload speed so you don't max out your connection. Play nice though, keep it running until your ratio is at least 1 :)

That one.
And I doubt anyone is on BT more than me :P

Far too many series.
Far....
Far too many.

CkVega
03-09-04, 21:49
That one.
And I doubt anyone is on BT more than me :P

Far too many series.
Far....
Far too many.

So ur the one hogging my bandwidth? :p

kurai
03-09-04, 22:00
614Gb grabbed, according to my Azureus statistics :wtf:

joran420
03-09-04, 22:05
im up to 10 GB worth of D/l's since i put shareaza back on meh puter about 2 weeks ago...

(i didnt have it earlier cause i had a really small hard drive and didnt have room for movies and shit on it)

Jaenus
03-09-04, 22:48
Decided to try G3 Torrent just to see what it was like (hadn't tried it before).

I don't know what worries me more, the fact some trackers ban it as a client or the fact it automatically tries to evade the ban :wtf:

Spermy
03-09-04, 23:28
Azereus thingy is being a bit of Ein pain...

I dl'd it three times and the installer is corrupt 3 times...

kurai
03-09-04, 23:35
Azereus thingy is being a bit of Ein pain...

I dl'd it three times and the installer is corrupt 3 times...

Did you use a real JVM, rather than the exploit ridden MS abortion ?

Lev
03-09-04, 23:41
And I wish to reduce, better yet stop the uploads to speed up my downloading.

thanks to the miracle of full duplex maxing youre upload speed does not max your download speed, bascially how it works is that you have X amount of bandwitdth, not over all but for up and down, however if you upload a lot, the ACK's you recieve when using TCP can imapir your downloading speeds only because you have to DL the Acknowledgements saying the piece of data you sent last made it there (every piece of data you send has to be acknowledged by the person you are sending it to or your computer will assume it didnt not get there and you will have to resend it)

Spermy
03-09-04, 23:42
Great - now i'm testing ports and I get a nat error - how do I configure it?

Carinth
04-09-04, 00:00
I use Bittornado and Netlimiter. The reason I use both is that almost every bt client has built in mechanisms to slow down your download depending on how much you cap upload at. It's a gimmick to force people to share and not be so greedy like they usualy are in other p2p programs. Netlimiter takes care of that for me, I can tell bt I'm allowing unlimited uploads, but then knock it down to 20k in netlimiter.

As for Bittornado, I love it. It's got all the feature ya need, including being able to select which files to download in what order or not at all. You can also do a manual announce to refresh the list of hosts from the tracker.

Only problem is my cable modem hates bt : ( It's super sensitive, if I download too much, too often, or from too many people at once, it'll hang my net connection.

kurai
04-09-04, 00:07
Great - now i'm testing ports and I get a nat error - how do I configure it?
Assuming Azureus, try ...

View -> Config -> Server

Enter your external IP (not the internal NAT one) in the
"Override Address setn to tracker" box and save.

Without any further info about your network setup that's the best advice I can offer so far.

kurai
04-09-04, 00:17
Only problem is my cable modem hates bt : ( It's super sensitive, if I download too much, too often, or from too many people at once, it'll hang my net connection.

I seem to have arrived at some sort of bizarre Azureus fanboi position ;)

It has no restrictions or forced up/down speed ratios. Both are independently user selectable.
It's done the manual announce forever, and also does a cache of seeders/peers persistent across client restarts which is handy if the tracker fails/dies.

It also allows for a slow peer list connection mode and an offers an alternate (as well as normal) method of socket polling - both things that can comonly cause disconnections on some types of network kit.

jernau
04-09-04, 00:18
I don’t have a uber connection. And I am a selfish bastard.
My allowed upload speed is a lot smaller than my allowed download speed and based on my experience with other P2P programs. If I upload at my max speed it really slows down my download speed. Even if the number of bits going thru my pipe overall is a lot less. This never made sense to me. But that is the way it is. Hence why I want to reduce the amount of uploading.

The A in ADSL is for "asymmetric" ie 1 byte up does not equal one byte down. usually the upchannel is limited to either 50% of download or to a fixed 128 or 256k depending on the supplier. Unlike most other communications protocols ADSL doesn't reserve a seperate band for it's own signalling data (things like "gimme more data" or "hold on that was wrong") so if it gets full in either direction it breaks in both. Netlimiter is an excellent workaround for this.

@Carinth - I thought BT used it's own data to work out contribution ratios. Does that Netlimiter definitely trick work? The router thing may be translation overload - a common problem. Are there any clients that allow more control of polling ports or timings? If you can reduce the number of active ports over time it may stabilise.

-Demon-
04-09-04, 02:02
614Gb grabbed, according to my Azureus statistics :wtf:

All game demos and drivers of course kurai :lol:

kurai
04-09-04, 03:14
All game demos and drivers of course kurai :lol:
Naturally.

Are you trying to insinuate something ? :D

-Demon-
04-09-04, 11:00
Naturally.

Are you trying to insinuate something ? :D

Not at all...good to see you back btw. Can't wait to have some sniper wars again hehe.

MjukisDjur
04-09-04, 12:36
Bittorent sucks in the cases I have used it.
I tried downloading a thing that had 1200 seeds a many, many peers. I got 100kb/s as greatest (thats the best DL speed I ever had had on BT).
I know my line is ok since I can download from other BBB users with 1.1mb/s

And yes, I have disabled the max connections thingy since I run sp2, tried a few internet boosters and I have tried bittorrent, burst and ABC. Still teh suck.
Someone need to put it on a BIG ASS line somewhere and give me the link :)

edit:
hmm just read Carinths post and he is most certainly onto something. I got a 10/1 line so that would explain my 120kb roof. Ill test this shit asap

MjukisDjur
04-09-04, 12:49
Just another quick question, dont want to hijack the thread:

I have downloaded both now (netlimiter was really cool. Didnt think anyone had made such an app...) and the DL is still like 56kb dl / 70bk ul.
What tweaks will I have to do on a 10/1 line. SHould I tell bittornado that I got 10/10 or 10/1? He does not look that easily fooled by setting it to 10/10 :)

kurai
04-09-04, 20:27
Just another quick question, dont want to hijack the thread:

I have downloaded both now (netlimiter was really cool. Didnt think anyone had made such an app...) and the DL is still like 56kb dl / 70bk ul.
What tweaks will I have to do on a 10/1 line. SHould I tell bittornado that I got 10/10 or 10/1? He does not look that easily fooled by setting it to 10/10 :)
Try setting the port used to something other than 6881.

*Your* ISP may bot block or limit that port, but many of the peers' ISPs do, so the overall torrent bandwidth is reduced.