PDA

View Full Version : Energy Beam v Fire Beam v Chaos Queen FlameAvalanche

MrChumble
02-09-04, 19:43
I need some help please :)

I've got a hybrid and I need to know which spell is best for PvM (mostly v fire mobs) out of the ones in the topic.

Not sure whether it's worth the extra LoM pills and slightly lower psi pool to spec the fire beam over the energy beam.

All this time playing NC and I know nothing about APU stuffs.

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 19:46
Energy beam>fire beam>chaos queen

Tyranny
02-09-04, 19:46
If you going fire mobs then energy beam all the way..... fire mobs = high fire resistance...

MrChumble
02-09-04, 19:48
fire mobs = high fire resistance...
Whoops, I forgot about that :D

I guess it might be worth speccing for fire if I go warbie hunting as they'll have energy resist, but then I'd need hack as well, and I hear the drops aren't so good.

steweygrrr
02-09-04, 20:06
Or you could spec 67 MST, 121 APU, 128 PPU and bang the rest in PPW. Get a PSI 3 buff and use HL, Holy deflector, Blessed shelter and blessed heal. Nice way to hunt mobs ^^

MrChumble
02-09-04, 20:08
Or you could spec 67 MST, 121 APU, 128 PPU and bang the rest in PPW. Get a PSI 3 buff and use HL, Holy deflector, Blessed shelter and blessed heal. Nice way to hunt mobs ^^
Yeah that'd be sweet, but I don't have a DS or a PPU :)

At the moment I'm speccing enough PPU for basic shelter and dmg boost, and using the energy beam. It seems to work pretty well for PvM, but I think I'd die in seconds in PvP.

Original monk
03-09-04, 08:59

getting a psi3 buff everytime isnt ideal tough, then ya better use an apu if ya have a ppu present :)

Candaman
03-09-04, 09:18
hunt wb's and use cqfa 105/min on fire spell and better range than any beams

Original monk
03-09-04, 09:25
hunt wb's and use cqfa 105/min on fire spell and better range than any beams

it even looks pretty nice, following the target and all :)

and for closer distances and not having to cope with the LoS ya can use a firebeam or sumthing :)

garyu69
03-09-04, 10:29
Get a PSI Attack 2

evs
03-09-04, 11:00
Energy beam>fire beam>chaos queen

The man is spot on with that one.

Fafhrd
03-09-04, 12:41
but the CQ Flame Avalanche looks so beautiful ....

better go for warbots and use the cqfa.

hose187
03-09-04, 13:39
Fire beam is only one or two more MST. The versatility is worth it, even if fire beam or avalanche isn't usually too useful in PvP. If you only consider PvM, go holy lightning. You won't need to be runcasting against mobs, so you don't need really high damage percentage. HL would still out-perform E-beam.

El_MUERkO
03-09-04, 13:57
CQFA used to rock but they nerfed it a while back when they did the big APU spell req. changes, I used to kill stealthers and warbots a plenty but now its pants :(

paolo escobar
03-09-04, 20:42

so how much will you end up with in the mana pool?

Viper Venom
03-09-04, 21:05
i got 120 psi in int so far :P and my int is low low low. u dont realy needs psi pool, u just need a good carry wieght, and load up on psi boosters

steweygrrr
03-09-04, 22:38
so how much will you end up with in the mana pool?

I can't quite remember atm, but I know with 122 PPU, 121 APU, 67, MST rest in PPW and pure PSU, you get pretty damn close to 300 :)

BTW, those specs are what you need to use HL and holy def, blessed s/heal with a PSI 3 and no PA. Alternatively you could go for 126 PPU, 118 APU, 68 MST, rest in PPW and pure MST and use all holy buffs (with PPU PA2) and holy NRG halo (with a PSI 3) for PvP. If you use that setup for PvM, you don't need any PA or the buff and get a slightly better defence than the HL hybrid with only a slightly reduced damage output vs the unbuffed HL hyb.

MrChumble
03-09-04, 22:49
I can't quite remember atm, but I know with 122 PPU, 121 APU, 67, MST rest in PPW and pure PSU, you get pretty damn close to 300 :)

BTW, those specs are what you need to use HL and holy def
HL is 141 APU...are those the base stats? Which imps?

steweygrrr
04-09-04, 00:44
Ah yes...thats with imps....I'm using the standard DS/Core/Exp Psi 2+3 setup there(yes, I know it's hard to get that DS, took me nearly a year!)....so base your stats would be PPU 112, APU 111 MST 57 and I think you can manage maybe 40-50 base PPW there (don't know....don't have access to a skill manager...out of the country and on an NC-less friends PC).

Using a base of 45 PPW that would give you PPU 122, APU 121, MST 67, PPW 90 and around 230 or so in PSU so you would get fairly good stats on your spells. Add in a PSI 3 buff and you get PPU 122, APU 141, MST 83 and about 240 in PSU...IIRC that gives you around 480-510% dam and 85/min on a 120/120/120/120 HL, 500% on a blessed heal, 450% on blessed shelter and about the same on holy def (only one or two TL's higher than blessed S).

Using that you are wicked scary for the following reasons:

a: You can use holy antishield and holy antideflector
b: You can then pull a PSI attack 2 or HL
c: You have extremely good defences, if played right probably next to impenatrable

If you specced 1 more MST and 2 more APU you can even use an FA....

Promethius
04-09-04, 01:29
I need some help please :)

I've got a hybrid and I need to know which spell is best for PvM (mostly v fire mobs) out of the ones in the topic.

Not sure whether it's worth the extra LoM pills and slightly lower psi pool to spec the fire beam over the energy beam.

All this time playing NC and I know nothing about APU stuffs.

Energy beam is by far better, the others aren't even worth using. (maybe a capped chaos but not fire beam)

-Prom

Heavyporker
04-09-04, 14:57
I remember wailing and beating my breast when KK nuke-nerfed the CQFA.

Before that, the psi module was just awesome when the quality stats got upped - it could then easily hold its ground against the fire beam on damage and range, even with the fire beam's no-LOS advantage.

Now... CQFA is just fucking sad. It's a forking LOS fireball spell that you have to practically strike a match to get it out of your vicinity.

Birkoff
04-09-04, 15:52
Why would anyone want to used a blessed hybrid for hunting :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

got for like low lvl ppu and u can probably dam near cap HL, keep ur PPW lowish though or ull hit the 90...or 100s in rank.