PDA

View Full Version : How many people do you think will be on the Int. Server?

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 17:04
I was just wondering how many people will be on the international server. I mean its basically gonna be Uranus, Saturn, and Pluto combined, that and some people from Jupiter coming over too (Fang?), and then combine that with the people in beta currently and people that are gonna reactivate and complete and total n00bs who will play Open Beta...

For some reason I am expecting at least 1000 people on that one server.. Is my hopes too high? What do you all think?

Richard Slade
02-09-04, 17:06
I belive germans will go back to german server.. hope might be a word too..
Most likely not tho, so 622 just about..
310 uranus 310 saturn and 2 pluto.. Somewhere around there

edit: Hey, we get the chance to hunt those plutonians that's always running around plaza shouting how good pluto is.. neat :D

shodanjr_gr
02-09-04, 17:07
1000 players would ROCK!

I just hope that the server infrastucture (cool word :P) can handle it...

ezza
02-09-04, 17:08
im fairly optomistic about start, i think anumber of germans will still stick with the saturn/uranus crowd.

maybe around 1000 to start , however will it be sustained

enigma_b17
02-09-04, 17:32
depends how many new players come along as personally i think most of the pre nc2 players will leave, or at least a good few of them, then again what do i know, but id say ud be lucky to hit 300 on the best day.

ezza
02-09-04, 17:34
i dont think that many pre NC2 player will go, we still have a few hundred on saturn atm, i know if i was leaving i wouldnt even bother playing anymore, so its fairly safe to assume that they will go NC2, some people will be back also.

i recon we should be getting at least 700 but can get the 1000.

of course if the game sucks then ya it will be back to 300 before you know it

eldiabloz
02-09-04, 17:41
Dunno depens by many factors btw i say 700-800 i hope server hardware can support huge loads :p

ezza
02-09-04, 17:42
Dunno depens by many factors btw i say 700-800 i hope server hardware can support huge loads :p
well if it turns out we get a shit load of lag with that number, i can see a lot of long term people checking out.

after this length of time i recon the slightest problem could send long term vets over the edge

amfest
02-09-04, 17:51
why guess now? Open beta is around the corner then we'll be able to see how the stress testing will go and we can have a realistic idea of what the servers can hold. Then we can speculate on how many people we think will actually come to NC2 ;)

enigma_b17
02-09-04, 17:51
well if it turns out we get a shit load of lag with that number, i can see a lot of long term people checking out.

after this length of time i recon the slightest problem could send long term vets over the edge

agreed. Any bugs in nc2 that are in nc1 = ppl leave
lag = ppl leave
kk slapping customers in the face = stay and have fun

Geth
02-09-04, 17:59
Seeing Saturn and Uranus can hit 300 on a good day I bet for at most 700. Sure there will be some from Pluto, but I'm use to not having many plutoians online so at most we'll add about 100.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but lets hope I'm wrong and many more come along.

ezza
02-09-04, 18:01
Seeing Saturn and Uranus can hit 300 on a good day I bet for at most 700. Sure there will be some from Pluto, but I'm use to not having many plutoians online so at most we'll add about 100.

gotta remember tho that a lot of sat and ura are german, so they may not all come to 4 slot international, but hopefully they will

Spermy
02-09-04, 18:03
I'm a bit worried about the pluto players TBH - more than 3 people is an interaction overload. The poor buggers won't know what to do with themselves.

I guess they could just sit around...

Old habits die hard.

:)

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 18:05

Thats if they combined it now... Hell even if they combined the servers just for NC1 more people would play just because of the ammount of people, then you got the major upgrade with NC2 which alot of people will reactivate for and newbs will play just because its a free open beta.

Endar
02-09-04, 18:08
From 500 to 1000+. I dont know why, but I just feel like there are going to be around 750 ppl playing at the international server.

Thats the players that play now + old players that will join + new players that we need to take good care of.

Dirk_Gently
02-09-04, 18:19
From 500 to 1000+. I dont know why, but I just feel like there are going to be around 750 ppl playing at the international server.

Thats the players that play now + old players that will join + new players that we need to take good care of.

However given that about a hundred of those players will make it their life's work to gank every noob they see I think it's unlikely that there will be alot of new players staying.

I reckon the server count will start out at around 1000 (maybe more) and then by the begining of December be around 500.

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 18:22
However given that about a hundred of those players will make it their life's work to gank every noob they see I think it's unlikely that there will be alot of new players staying.

I reckon the server count will start out at around 1000 (maybe more) and then by the begining of December be around 500.

You do realise there are gonna be tons of people trying to help out the n00bs as well right? Alot more than PKers I should think.

ezza
02-09-04, 18:24
also with the segragation of the 2 cities, noob in neo are less likely to get killed as they are now since neo enemies wont have such easy access to the city and same with DoY

Dirk_Gently
You do realise there are gonna be tons of people trying to help at the n00bs as well right? Alot more than PKers I should think.

Yep my constructor and researcher will be available for noobs. However that may not make up for them getting ganked all of the time. I remember when I started (granted you had to remove the LE then due to the side-effects) I got killed the first 5 or 6 times I left a safe zone. I considered leaving but just stopped playing Saturn instead.

also with the segragation of the 2 cities, noob in neo are less likely to get killed as they are now since neo enemies wont have such easy access to the city and same with DoY

I think i have been ganked by a red maybe 4 times (outside of warzones) in the about 2 years I've played NC. It's always Allies or Neutrals.......so I don't think that will make much of a difference.

Spermy
Could always take them off to TH for the day - and let em level there, after all - it's a safezone now isn't it?

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 18:26
Could always take them off to TH for the day - and let em level there, after all - it's a safezone now isn't it?

Isn't TH gonna be made like a giant op or something like that and FA being moved to DoY? Maybe I don't remember it right.

Spermy
02-09-04, 18:28
Dunno - I just read somewhere about it being made a safe zone. Would be good if we had a nibby taxi services to take new peeps to level in the cores - a bit of PPu support and they'll be whacking aggys in no time.

ezza
02-09-04, 18:33
I think i have been ganked by a red maybe 4 times (outside of warzones) in the about 2 years I've played NC. It's always Allies or Neutrals.......so I don't think that will make much of a difference.
well ive been attacked by a lot of neutral allied but its always been reason based not just a fuck it ill kill anyway thing.

Dirk_Gently
02-09-04, 18:36
well ive been attacked by a lot of neutral allied but its always been reason based not just a fuck it ill kill anyway thing.

Well as far as I'm aware there has never been a reason for it.

I do hope the asshole brigade can content themselves with attacking the NC1 vets for a while after NC2 comes out.

El_MUERkO
02-09-04, 18:50
I'd like to see close to 1000 but if there is they'll be split between DOY and NC so hopefully we wont get mega lag like in Beta 4 when we had 600/700 but all in NC.

ezza
02-09-04, 18:51
lets hope its a even split as well, would suck if it was like 900 anti 100 pro

El_MUERkO
02-09-04, 18:53
Well with 4 char slots and people transfering their runners over I dont think there will be a huge imbalance, maybe 60/40. Add to that new runners and I think it should all pan out.

I just hope the ass hats dont go nuts with the lowbie PKing and we keep some of the noobs longer than a week.

Lareolan
02-09-04, 19:07
Well with 4 char slots and people transfering their runners over I dont think there will be a huge imbalance, maybe 60/40. Add to that new runners and I think it should all pan out.

I just hope the ass hats dont go nuts with the lowbie PKing and we keep some of the noobs longer than a week.

Newbie ganking = banned account. That makes this easier, no? :D

Spermy
02-09-04, 19:12
Well anyone who has some kinda decenecy wouldn't kill anyone who couldn't fight back...

But then Nobheads don't have decency.

People are gonna get PKd... it sux but, thats life.

ezza
02-09-04, 19:13
well if nubs dont pull the anti pk chip out there head to early they will get along just fine

evs
02-09-04, 19:21
I think 1000 players (plus alts) would suck big time.

The maps arent designed to hold that many, and trade-nc would be horrific.

Plus you couldnt go ANYWHERE without getting attacked multiple times.
I'd be into neg SL within minutes
o_O

Lareolan
02-09-04, 19:27
well if nubs dont pull the anti pk chip out there head to early they will get along just fine

Yes, sadly there are far too many reasons to pull it out. LE still has many restrictions even though they removed the money/xp hit of it. It STILL takes up a valuable implant slot (I posted long ago about making LE a separate LE-only slot, but that post went unnoticed). And perhaps the worst one of all is that LE'd players can't have a clan. I mean, I like playing tradeskillers. I also like having a company. But it pisses me off that if I want to have my own company, then I have to pull the LE out, and ofcourse, what better target for a ganking asshole than a defenceless tradeskiller? (One who has only his fists for self defense and absolutely no combat skills). Now, in the past I have avoided problems by staying in city limits and in the safe zones (Still got killed once when I was constructing a large batch and some shitheads pushed me from my gogu all the way to PP, yay for them, they got some chems off me, but it pissed me off badly AND took a while to find a poker to put back my SS).
But now in DOY there will be no safe zones. So what the heck do those of us who do not use guns do? I can't even get my god damned LE in it seems because KK wouldn't allow it.

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 19:37
But now in DOY there will be no safe zones. So what the heck do those of us who do not use guns do? I can't even get my god damned LE in it seems because KK wouldn't allow it.

Faction HQ's and Clubs will be safezones.

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 19:38

Exactly. Very simple solution.

Dirk_Gently
02-09-04, 19:39
Faction HQ's and Clubs will be safezones.

But a tradeskillers has to get from his apartment to NPC traders he can't just stand in the HQ.

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 19:40
Why can't tradeskillers(who are mostly spies) just invest in stealth?

Dirk_Gently
02-09-04, 19:40
Exactly. Very simple solution.

It's also a crap solution. Apart from meaning that people who want to opt out of PvP can't have clans it is also ridiculous from a gameplay front. Why is my having a behaviour modification implant going to stop someone killing me???

Richard Slade
02-09-04, 19:41
I'm sure KK thought of something nice, so don't worry too much will ya,
back to topic?

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 19:43
It's also a crap solution.

I don't think it is. It was intended to have SOME type of penalty. You can level in complete peace, that's pretty big if you ask me. What's the problem? The whole clan thing? I don't even think people should worry about that until much later in their char life.

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 19:43
But a tradeskillers has to get from his apartment to NPC traders he can't just stand in the HQ.

Well we hardly know everything about NC2... or at least I hope so.. So maybe there might be a way to get around that and if not you can always take the risk or have someone transfer the items to you.

alig
02-09-04, 19:48
I voted 900. Im hoping that they will properly advertise this game, make it more user friendly and less buggy and stop adding useless shit before fixing old bugs.

Hopefully all the germans go!. I know some will stay and i dont mind them being here but when they start to flame me in german this red mist comes over my eyes and i have this urge to be v.offensive to them. :mad: I also dont particually like there approach to fighting either, its pussyfied for a start, requires several factions and 2-1 numbers, but yeh apart from them ones there welcome to stay.

Dirk_Gently
02-09-04, 19:48
I don't think it is. It was intended to have SOME type of penalty. You can level in complete peace, that's pretty big if you ask me. What's the problem? The whole clan thing? I don't even think people should worry about that until much later in their char life.

My problem was more that it is completely illogical from a storyline point of view. They must be able to come up with something better.

Lareolan
02-09-04, 19:53
Well we hardly know everything about NC2... or at least I hope so.. So maybe there might be a way to get around that and if not you can always take the risk or have someone transfer the items to you.

Oh sure great idea. Now let me just adjust the prices to account for the extra express courier and bodyguard surcharge... Ok, anyone want to buy a 4 slot TAR for 500k?

I mean seriously, it's hard enough earning money as a tradeskiller already since they changed the formulas to make construction more expensive. Tradeskiller rank still has very little effect on slot chance. So tradeskillers are really getting shafted as is. Adding ANY additional costs would just make tradeskilling other than as something for a clan mule simply worthless waste of time.

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 19:55
Oh sure great idea. Now let me just adjust the prices to account for the extra express courier and bodyguard surcharge... Ok, anyone want to buy a 4 slot TAR for 500k?

I mean seriously, it's hard enough earning money as a tradeskiller already since they changed the formulas to make construction more expensive. Tradeskiller rank still has very little effect on slot chance. So tradeskillers are really getting shafted as is. Adding ANY additional costs would just make tradeskilling other than as something for a clan mule simply worthless waste of time.

As Shadow Dancer said, whats so hard about investing into some T-C for stealth...?

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 19:55

What about stealth?

Lareolan
02-09-04, 20:10
As Shadow Dancer said, whats so hard about investing into some T-C for stealth...?

Oh? So I guess Repair, recycling and run speed are useless skills, huh? Not to mention the fact that stealth is not such a great invincibility tool either. It can be countered fairly easily. Especially with the number of times a spy needs to run back and forth between shop and gogu or apartment or whatever...

anyway, off to work...

Shadow Dancer
02-09-04, 20:12
Oh? So I guess Repair, recycling and run speed are useless skills, huh? Not to mention the fact that stealth is not such a great invincibility tool either. It can be countered fairly easily. Especially with the number of times a spy needs to run back and forth between shop and gogu or apartment or whatever...

anyway, off to work...

Since you're a tradeskiller, you could put all your con into athletics. :p

How is stealth countered fairly easily? If you're smart, you won't die with stealth. It's all about sacrifice. You want to have a bajillion tradeskilles, and be able to go anywhere without getting hurt??? :wtf:

Psycho_Soldier
02-09-04, 20:13

anyway, off to work...

You dont have to get rid of all 3 for stealth do you? I don't know how your setup is but I think you can trade off repair or recycle and agl.. Since you are pure tradeskill, cap con and get alot of ATL.. With high ATL and stealth I dont think you should worry much about resist/health and you can get rid of AGL right? I don't see many people whining because they can't construct/hack/barter/research all at the same time properly.

-REMUS-
02-09-04, 20:13
I'm a bit worried about the pluto players TBH - more than 3 people is an interaction overload. The poor buggers won't know what to do with themselves.

I guess they could just sit around...

Old habits die hard.

:)

pwn all j00 nibblers is the answear matey.

500-800 but im hopeing it will stay stable at 500 which is a good number.

OP warfare isnt designed for 1k+ people you wouldnt be able to hold an op.

Judge
02-09-04, 20:35

anyway, off to work...

You can't have your cake and eat it. From what it sounds like you want to be invincible to other players, in a clan, not lose the extra head slot and have every tradeskill under the sun.

How about GM tools next, eh? I'm sure thats not too unreasonable.

CR@SH
02-09-04, 21:02
Well i feel sorry for all the "ubar l33t pkars" that plan on taking advantage of no safezones. I look for them to be chased out of the city the first day after they have the whole population of DOY or NC on their ass for killing tradeskillers. Should be kinda cool somehow i bet each city has its own police force setup before its all said and done.

joran420
02-09-04, 21:17
DOY freindlies will have a damn hard time getting to tradeskillers in the heart of NC.... and city freindlies will have an equally hard time getting into DOY...

so unless you wanna lose loul light the tradeskillers should be fine....cept in the case of big raids on either city in which case im sure tradeskillers will have plenty of warning to clear out

Judge
02-09-04, 22:27
I really want to make a spy with stealth and go on some assination mishes in the enemy city. Would be so cool. :p

Agent FunHead
03-09-04, 01:20
My problem was more that it is completely illogical from a storyline point of view. They must be able to come up with something better.

I agree that from a storyline POV the LE Chip has no place in NC.

From a storyline point of view why would anyone be bothered or need a LE chip when death means nothing other than a short trip to a GR and maybe the loss of an item.

I have always seen LE users as not part of the population of NC anyways, no RP can be done with em (oh heres my friend who has been blessed by the church, as long as he doesnt kill anyone God will protect him from harm)

As for tradeskillers just do your trading from your shop and use stealth 3 or Oblitorator for travel. If for some reason your trading with someone in the wastelands then only trade at an OP so you wont drop an item.

If your using ur LE chip to get your char off the ground (what i think the LE chip should only be used for) Then you probably wont be RPing yet anyways.

I personally enjoy the task of finding hunting locations or traveling the map trying to avoid pkers without a LE at low lvl and if i do die im not gonna cry over it because death in this game means nothing.

To rap up my point (and make it a bit clearer to see lol) I have nothing against players choosing to use an LE to help em level without hassle of being killed (although i find it more fun not to) but when it comes to RP and using LE chip for long term basis (i.e. capped char) I feel LE has no place in the RP world and is kinda lame.

I have a capped CST who has no form of attack and no LE but that isnt going to make me too scared to step outside my own appartment.

P.S. this is pretty off topic lol so eh i'd reckon (hope) the numbers for the int server will be around 700-1000.

If all the ppl who keep saying each week that they are quitting acctually quit (instead of saying they are gonna quit and then not) then there would prob be around 50 ppl rofl

amfest
03-09-04, 02:04
Oh no .. a non-le'd tradeskiller who gimps himself on purpose will now have to take risks to get to his shop or maybe even supplies. >_>.

Well since pretty much it seems for the most part tech parts for the most part will be taken to constructor and researchers that can be handled by the client bringing in their own substance and grease and the parts. Repair and recycle can also be the client bringing their own fluid and such. Low end weapons will be able to be bought from the player run stores cause I'm sure there will be tradeskillers devoted to making all sorts of low end weapons for the levelers. Personally I think pure tradeskillers are lame. Now don't get me wrong I'm not dissing the fact that people do it I'm just talking about the fact that it's allowed. It pretty much negates the usage that tradeskill op bonus gives. I used to love it in beta where there were tradeskillers who would say My Clan owns such and such and have rights to use this factory or lab. Now taking orders. Then they'd collect parts from everyone and GR to said place to do their work . . . GR back and deliver their work to the waiting clients and collect payment. So the clients could go do something else while they were teamed or something and the tradeskiller would say something so they'd know to come back. Either way I think it's great that people who choose to take out their LE won't be able to rely on full city zones to be protected.

I think 1000 players (plus alts) would suck big time.

The maps arent designed to hold that many, and trade-nc would be horrific.

Plus you couldnt go ANYWHERE without getting attacked multiple times.
I'd be into neg SL within minutes
o_O

Do you just use the same zones over and over?? -_-;; The NC world is pretty big imo. There are just alot of unused areas because people find them easy to use. But if there are a crapload of people in those areas they won't be so easy to use because they will be too crowded. In those cases people will beging to move out more. You could maybe throw 1000 players just into the main sewers . . . that place is so damn big and topsy turvy >_>. Just an exeragerration but it feels like that in there. But if everyone just resides in the same NC zones . . .same DOY zones .. same cellers . . . same faction HQs, Save caves then yes..NC is very very small. And being able to GR all over the place makes it even smaller. There should be bigger penalties for GR'in. Not just payment and SI. Hell make it XP loss each time to GR to a location and I think people will start to think twice and use their feet or drive places more ;)

Glok
03-09-04, 02:07
1000+

I just hope the servers dont choke.

ZoneVortex
03-09-04, 05:25
I dont see why tradeskillers would complain.. Its exciting

Lareolan
03-09-04, 06:23
Since you're a tradeskiller, you could put all your con into athletics. :p

How is stealth countered fairly easily? If you're smart, you won't die with stealth. It's all about sacrifice. You want to have a bajillion tradeskilles, and be able to go anywhere without getting hurt??? :wtf:

That's why I want my LE back in, but KK won't allow it :(

Lareolan
03-09-04, 06:33
You can't have your cake and eat it. From what it sounds like you want to be invincible to other players, in a clan, not lose the extra head slot and have every tradeskill under the sun.

How about GM tools next, eh? I'm sure thats not too unreasonable.

That a somewhat unfair presumption. I want EITHER one OR the other. But right now, I can get nothing. :(
I'd be ok if I could at LEAST be allowed to put my LE back in my head so I don't need to watch my back peppered with green plasma with the absense of safe zones. It would be nice if LEs were modified a bit to allow LE'd players to have their own clans or companies that did not involve PvP. I mean, where does it say that clans all have to be PvP (other than in KK's minds?) And I DO have every tradeskill under the sun. At a damn high TL too, so you better be nice to me (Yes, Poke all TLs, high TL barter, high TL constructor, researcher, repairer, recycler. All would be available) :D

DOY freindlies will have a damn hard time getting to tradeskillers in the heart of NC.... and city freindlies will have an equally hard time getting into DOY...

so unless you wanna lose loul light the tradeskillers should be fine....cept in the case of big raids on either city in which case im sure tradeskillers will have plenty of warning to clear out

Um... And bad SL ever stopped anyone who's enough of an ass to gank newbies and tradeskillers anyway? I don't GO to enemy territory, so the number of times I was killed by someone who was an enemy to my faction can be counted on both hands only. The number of times I've been ganked by green, especially my own damn faction would take a supercomputer to compute that number. So, no. The fact that enemies can't get to me, won't mean I won't get ganked non-stop just trying to offer services in Plaza (or any other sector)

joran420
03-09-04, 08:00
there will still be safe zones..... just the city itself wont be

Bars and HQ's will be safe zones iirc