PDA

View Full Version : patches

john irons
01-09-04, 21:38
kk could you please for the love of god compress the patches into zip files when nc2 comes out so it doesnt take quite so long to download.

athon
01-09-04, 21:44
The download time isn't to do with their size, it's to do with the method used to download them. If you want to examine the size of patches look at ftp://ftp.neocron.com/retailpatches

Athon Solo

shenten
01-09-04, 21:49
well anyway, it can't hurt, and zlib is easy to use ;)

Nanook
02-09-04, 00:19
The patch files are already compressed, what made you think they are not?

john irons
02-09-04, 00:21
i sorry what the fuck???

109mb worth of patches and it's compressed.

and what is in thoes patches, a few guns some textures mabey a few .bsp's

ffs kk you manage to use loads of space for fuck all content.

i just dont get how they could waste so much space on not alot of stuff

Candaman
02-09-04, 00:31
[ edited ]

john irons
02-09-04, 00:41
[ edited ]

amfest
02-09-04, 04:11
well the patches appear to update in order. So when you reinstall you're updating to such and such patch then next patch comes and updates maybe overwritting what happened in the previous patch .. .it gets changed again in the next patch .. then something new is added in next patch . .then it's changed back in next patch . several patches later it gets changed back to the new added way . . .

I could be wrong but that would be my assumption on how it goes ;)

Then again to put together a patch for the people who already are up to date .. and then make a single patch for those who are reinstalling takes more time and testing . . . so I guess in the end most would take the easy way out when pressed for time ;)

Birkoff
02-09-04, 04:54
Doy caves? MC5? epics?

The patches arn't jsut a few minor changes.... and they are compressed.. jeez... next..

Ryuben
02-09-04, 06:28
[ edited ]

Omnituens
02-09-04, 06:52
[ edited ]
[ edited ]

john irons
02-09-04, 08:35
what is a troll?

if trolling is having a go at kk and your aiming that at me then [ edited ].read my first post, see that i am asking kk if they could make patches smaller and more efficent in nc2.

Ryuben
02-09-04, 08:39
what is a troll?

if trolling is having a go at kk and your aiming that at me then [ edited ].read my first post, see that i am asking kk if they could make patches smaller and more efficent in nc2.

smaller patch = less stuff in it

so you want KK to add less stuff into the game as it takes a while to d/l ? O_o

john irons
02-09-04, 08:57
no i belive they can get just as much data into a smaller space.

eg.
resident evil 2 on the n64.

10mb carerage with a cd's worth (thats about650-700mb)of data on it.

all cleverly compressed.
the way it is now is just lazy and inefficent

Endar
02-09-04, 09:33
Blah, I dont have any problems with the patches. Just dont use the automatic updating thing and your fine. Besides the large patches added new models, new textures to TH and all that stuff, so there is a reason why those patches are large.

Mighty Max
02-09-04, 09:36
no i belive they can get just as much data into a smaller space.

eg.
resident evil 2 on the n64.

10mb carerage with a cd's worth (thats about650-700mb)of data on it.

all cleverly compressed.
the way it is now is just lazy and inefficent

Uhm, no.

1. It has to work on every PC and every previous Installed Patchlevel
2. Non-Loss Compression algorythm are bound to Huffman and SelfBuild-Dictionary that limits the average factor to around 1:2.17. For sure, some things might get compressed upto 1:80, but thats most likely only for text files.
3. Loss Compressions like re2 are not suitable for data.
4. In re2, the game is programmed in the view to use less memory, that means, that they needed to use textures/images which are very easy to compress or calcable through a simple math. That way, the size limits the game, i rather have the game limits the size.

5. Google for Huffman, DCT, LZ77 for details on how compression works, and why. Maybe you will better understand what is possible and what is only a clever show.

Vithar
02-09-04, 10:01
Stop the flaming and trolling.

V