PDA

View Full Version : [OT] HardDisk Problem!!

Endar
31-08-04, 14:25
Ok so I got hungry for good computer and bought:

Abit NF7 (Nforce2 400)
Twinmos 1gbit 400mhz 3200 dual ddr (2x512)
AMD 3000+ 400fsb

The problem is that now when I installed those parts, my harddisks are running REALLY hot. Infact I burned my finger when I touched them.

My computer started to crash everytime when I started up the windows (XP Home Edition) after 2-5 mins. After that happened like 7 times I decidet to open the comp case and check the parts. My Sapphire 9800pro was cool and the CPU was warm (around 40c), but the harddisks were running fecking hot.

Now could someone give me some ideas what to do. Its both harddisks, and those are connected with one IDE cable to MoBo. Those harddisks still work, its just the heat that starts to crash the comp.

Argh I just fecking hate Modem connection how can someone send messages with this thing...

..i..DemonX
31-08-04, 14:43
I would

a) check HD Settings
b) install a cooler for them
c) try to run only 1 HD
d) use 2 IDE Cable for them

cRazy2003
31-08-04, 14:49
sometimes your memory speeds can inflict with your hard drives speed, if either of your HD's are 5200 or are both different speeds or cache sizes, it might be the problem.

Endar
31-08-04, 14:54
Well those HDs worked fine on my old comp 2 days ago. You mean HD settings from Bios? I have configured those already. Both HDs are Maxtor and with same speeds, other just is 80gb and other 120gb.

..i..DemonX
31-08-04, 14:57
Well those HDs worked fine on my old comp 2 days ago. You mean HD settings from Bios? I have configured those already. Both HDs are Maxtor and with same speeds, other just is 80gb and other 120gb.

Yeah bios, still i would try to run 1 single to see what it does.

Samhain
31-08-04, 15:00
The change in those components should be unrelated to the problem you are describing. The NF7 has a locked PCI bus (33MHz) ... although NF7s have notoriously bad voltage regulation, check your hardware monitor to see if your rails aren't being overvolted

SpawnTDK
31-08-04, 16:13
a) check HD Settings
d) use 2 IDE Cable for them

wheres the sense ? dont think u got em cooler with that ...

bring more space between your harddisks and some additional coolers will be fine too ->> your little box is running to hot

Scikar
31-08-04, 17:51
How much has the inside of your case changed with the upgrade? HDs can run fairly hot anyway, so it would seem more likely that in adding the new stuff you've disrupted the airflow around your system. What kind of cooling setup are you using?

Spermy
31-08-04, 18:42
My mate decided his computer was too hot. Ke got a kitchen extractor fan, and made a hole in the side of his case, Replaced the motor of the fan for a different one, and wanged it in the hole.

Remarkably good performance.

Obscenely ridiculous case.

Might solve the problem though.

:)

Doc Holliday
31-08-04, 19:36
endar i bought a new hd today maxtor 80gb one. forget the spec but the one with the 8mb cache on it. the dude in the shop said to be careful as it can get hot so its worth looking at a cooler if your concerned about the airflow inside the case but simply tidying it up also works. tie off wires etc should be fine for u. or spermy said with the fan could work. :)

Seven
31-08-04, 21:45
Interesting, let us know what fixed it.

I'd say voltage regulation as mentioned above if they're getting that hot.

Endar
01-09-04, 07:28
OK so I fixed it with help from ABIT support :D

There was actually few problems in my hardware. First I needet to change one DDR from DIMM3 to DIMM1, the manual did not say this but if you are using dual ddr you need to but those from DIMM 3->1, otherwise you need to but ddr from 1->3.

The second problem with the HDs was Ultra ATA cable that came with the box. Well it was not a Ultra ATA cable, so I needet to buy one from local PC store.

After that I ripped the flobby driver from between the two HDs. They did not create so much heat when using Ultra ATA, but still im thinking of buying more coolers.

BTW my computer case is cool, so theres no point of cooling the case anymore. The only thing that created the heat was HDs.

Spermy@ that idea sounds sexy, I need to think about that :D

Seven
03-09-04, 06:38
After that I ripped the flobby driver from between the two HDs.

Now that made me laugh out loud and made my kitty jump off the floor! :lol:

SpawnTDK
03-09-04, 09:58
it normal to place ram modules from 1 to 3 and not backward
dude, if your hdds getting hot again ... place a fan in front of em our the lifetime of your hdds getting very low

Seven
03-09-04, 18:33
On my Asus A7N8X you can put the ram anyway you want.
However, if you want to run in dual channel mode you need to use Sockets
1 & 3 or 2 & 3 or 1, 2 & 3.

You can use 1 & 2, it just won't run in dual channel mode, but it won't affect hard drive temps.