PDA

View Full Version : Space sims ?

[TgR]KILLER
30-08-04, 01:29
so. played a few demo's over the years.. never realy bought a game or something.. but with my new vid came.. X2 The Thread.. din't know what it was even till i searched it on internet lol

anyway.. i think its a pretty cool game.. ( a savegame so i started with 999 mil helped to :p ) got a nice cruiser ships and a load of smaller attack ships.. even found out today there are even missions etc in it ^^ anyway to the point.. any more good space games out there ? with trading fighting and all the crap in it..

it has no MP btw.. but doesn't realy borther.. no other jackheads fucking the game up then :p exept stupid smaller craft that overlook my huge ass ship and fly into it and explode :(

Rade
30-08-04, 01:33
Tie Fighter. Jumpgate if you're feeling social. No wait scratch that, just Tie Fighter.

MkVenner
30-08-04, 02:44
Freelancer was cool

enigma_b17
30-08-04, 02:47
Star Trek: Birth of the federation (not really a space sim but good none the less :P )

Monkey island: nothing to do with space or sim, guybrush is simply the man :)

Teenage Mutant ninja turtles in the arcade version :D

steweygrrr
30-08-04, 02:55
It doesn't have the trading element, but the Freespace series is one of THE most deeply engrossing games I have ever played storyline wise. It's well thought out and isn't entirely linear as you have the choice of doing spec op missions offered to you which, although not necessary for game completion, expand the storyline a whole hell of a lot.

The physics engine is amazing as are the graphics (one of the laser cannons even has a blue shift effect when you see it fired at range!) and it's a whole lot more than point and shoot. Some missions involve precision strikes on capital ships, covering evacuations or even testing new hardware in a nebula!

Finally it has a great mission editor bundled with it. It's a little complicated at first, but if you use the tutorial it walks you through both the basics and the advanced parts. Once you do the tutorial, it becomes a whole lot simpler to make your own missions (my personal faves being capital ship clashes involving bombers, interceptors and anti-ship beam cannons all over the place!)

Another game that has a little of both is Tachyon: The Fringe. Not hugely brilliant in the graphics or physics departments it's still a fairly good game nonetheless. That and your character is voiced by Bruce Campbell (Ash from Evil Dead) ^^

ichinin
30-08-04, 10:43
Suggest freelancer too.. was pretty cool, except that they named a spacestation after a retarded president...

winnoc
30-08-04, 10:51
Best one i've ever played was Space empires 3 :-)

Must have spent hundreds of hours playing that.

Rade
30-08-04, 11:03
oh oh oh!

Starcontrol 2

*faints*

Morganth
30-08-04, 11:09
Vendetta Online (http://www.vendetta-online.com/)

I believe this has a trader element to it as well as PvP being available.

QuantumDelta
30-08-04, 12:45
FreeSpace2 > Everything that's been mentioned here so far.
Tie is the only thing that comes close.

--

The Underdogs has a free version iirc, there are ways to install the rest of the components, and then you can install the open source code project which brings it up to a close-to-modern-day standard of graphics.

--
Give me a shout on msn if you wanna know more =p

[TgR]KILLER
30-08-04, 13:12
x2 is just from this year gfx wise it looks prettty sweet.. since 1 mission yesterday i now know how bloody big the game is.. took me 2 hours to fly to some sector lol.. and judging were i ended up and emty space in between i think there are over 150 sectors easy and tons and tons of bases.. there is 1 big main storyline but you can pick up the missions and see people when you want realy.. between time you can do some trading.. kill some pirates.. or fly to a station ( about a zillion of those around :p ) and noticed yesterday that if you check the mssg boads of the stations you can get missions to and tons of stuff hidden in there... pretty big game and just on 2 cd's to :p

only downside.. you can't save when you want.. only at space stations.. but yesterday i was in a sector of people who din't like me so i couldn't dock at a station.. so i had to leave the game on all night cause i couldn't save ^^

t3h site ^^ (http://www.egosoft.com/)

Spermy
30-08-04, 13:41
KILLER']x2 is just from this year gfx wise it looks prettty sweet.. since 1 mission yesterday i now know how bloody big the game is.. took me 2 hours to fly to some sector lol.. and judging were i ended up and emty space in between i think there are over 150 sectors easy and tons and tons of bases.. there is 1 big main storyline but you can pick up the missions and see people when you want realy.. between time you can do some trading.. kill some pirates.. or fly to a station ( about a zillion of those around :p ) and noticed yesterday that if you check the mssg boads of the stations you can get missions to and tons of stuff hidden in there... pretty big game and just on 2 cd's to :p

only downside.. you can't save when you want.. only at space stations.. but yesterday i was in a sector of people who din't like me so i couldn't dock at a station.. so i had to leave the game on all night cause i couldn't save ^^

t3h site ^^ (http://www.egosoft.com/)

Y'know - the jumpdrive extension makes things a lot easier ^_^ Costs 150 creds. You can get it at a trading station or a space equipment dock.

Ozambabbaz
30-08-04, 13:45
u can buy salvage insurances at the goner temple in CBSW, with those u can save whenever u want using one each time. remember to register and update the game, theres some nice signed scripts to help with assigning trade-ships and managing ur own space stations.

and the jumpdrive costs 100k btw =P

Spermy
30-08-04, 13:59
u can buy salvage insurances at the goner temple in CBSW, with those u can save whenever u want using one each time. remember to register and update the game, theres some nice signed scripts to help with assigning trade-ships and managing ur own space stations.

and the jumpdrive costs 100k btw =P

Bugger - Meant the SETA drive... Whoops... :D

Oh and get a few ships and SPPs once again - they are a license to print money! And you guys thought the NC economy was fucked... :lol:

Archeus
30-08-04, 14:05
X2 is great but takes too long to play. Try finding the grays in it (hidden Aliens)

Freelancer is great as well but it is too short a game. If you are anyway good you can do everything in game within a day in freelancer. In Freelancer check out the world of robots and monkeys in the unknown sectors.

Ozambabbaz
30-08-04, 14:52
Bugger - Meant the SETA drive... Whoops... :D

lol, played like 7 hours before i found out about seta and roughly 2 days before finding out i could skip the manual docking =P

Lathuc
30-08-04, 14:57
well since no one metioned it EVE : online is good but its a mmo so you might not like it hehe oh and here is a link EVE online (http://www.eve.is)

Biznatchy
30-08-04, 17:13
well since no one metioned it EVE : online is good but its a mmo so you might not like it hehe oh and here is a link EVE online (http://www.eve.is)

There are reasons people left out eve.

MkVenner
30-08-04, 17:14
hehe the way he said that lol :p

Spermy
30-08-04, 17:40

*vomits*

No thanks. :p

Seven
30-08-04, 18:18
Eve is great for insomnia!

Kharnn
30-08-04, 18:19
:lol: I have 2 accounts in Eve online although i love the game it really isnt for everyone. I think the main problem is when you first start out your really stuck to mining or agent missions and maybe killing npc after a few days. Key to that game is getting into a good corp or an alliance. Getting into fleet action is awsome though. ;) Funny though as i type this im mining with 2 battleships in 2 other windows.

MkVenner
30-08-04, 18:21
yeah i was in a cool corp, Muppets lol, and i had a Scorpion....but i still found it boring...just took me a while to realise it lol

Lareolan
30-08-04, 19:05
OH MY GOD!!!
I can't believe no one named the best games of all time! A little dated, but that just means they're even better now :P
(Especially since they're free for download of any abandonware site).
Elite, Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounters which are probably the BEST damn flight sims/trading games EVER MADE! I mean, the universe is just SOOOO friggin huge it's not even funny!
I once cheated, got myself the best ship, best drive, best everything, and unlimited fuel and tried to see how far I could get.... I spent a DAY warping in one direction and there were STILL star systems there! I must have crossed the whole galaxy that day!

Another awesome game is Star Flight 2 (If you can get it to run at a reasonable speed on your computer). Not quite a 3D flight sim, but it's a space flight/trade sim still with a DAMN awesome storyline! (Just replayed it again a couple of months ago. Still love the ending and getting there).

And finally Star Control 2 and 3, also with awesome storylines and combat!

Check them out!!!

Edit: Oh, and some people might disagree, but I also liked X-Com: Interceptor quite a bit too. You build space bases, build turrets, facilities... Research new ship technologies, weapons etc... Fight space aliens in 3D flight sim with wingmen you create and train and whose ships you build and equip. It's awesome! (It got my money anyway) :P

QuantumDelta
30-08-04, 19:10
Eve > X2.
Eve = Shit.

Oh well.
X2 coulda been a good game if it weren't so boring after you work things out (which ..took me all of 4 hours because of X:BTF ..which...was also shit).

Freelancer is alright, but far too... simple in terms of combat.

Elite is a tad too old.

Spermy
30-08-04, 19:29
Eve > X2.
Eve = Shit.

Oh well.
X2 coulda been a good game if it weren't so boring after you work things out (which ..took me all of 4 hours because of X:BTF ..which...was also shit).

Freelancer is alright, but far too... simple in terms of combat.

Elite is a tad too old.

the only thing that lets the X series down is the translation to english from german, it loses relevance sometimes and comes across as stilted and longwinded. If I could speak german though It would probably make more sense to me. It is an awesome game though but wears out very quickly. You have to be in the "mood" for it really.

Sovellis
30-08-04, 19:32
space invaders

rob444
30-08-04, 19:34
Well if you like really advanced space sims you could try Universal Combat, not the greatest graphics but one hell of a technical game. Alot of details that you wont find in any other space sim.

QuantumDelta
30-08-04, 19:39
Spermy - A Game that doesn't last.
Is not a good game.

--
X2 lasted a very insignificant amount of time for myself.

It tries to be an MMOSingleplayerSFSRPG.

No.
Bad.
Just No.

[TgR]KILLER
30-08-04, 21:47
x2 is still fun :p got a carrier now 2 trade ships 20 fighters ( nova ) and a few other ships.. din't bother with space stations yet.. and yea found the jump drive already.. my carrier got one and a trade ship got one so it can get stuff quickly :p

Spermy
30-08-04, 22:49
MMOSingleplayerSFSRPG.

Did you fall asleep on the Keyboard QD? :lol:

It's a good attempt - but you're right - If it was that good, I'd still be on it.

RayBob
31-08-04, 03:48
Vendetta Online (http://www.vendetta-online.com/)
I believe this has a trader element to it as well as PvP being available.I’ve never been a fan of space sims but this looks interesting. The whole thing was created by just 4 guys! They have a publisher and it is being released on October 5th.

NeoChick
31-08-04, 04:12
Haha I am so dense sometimes (yea, only sometimes), I read the heading and thought hmmmmm, here is somebody who loves THE SIMS and apparently they now have a space version

Was wondering what a NC lover is doing playing the Sims

:D

Birkoff
31-08-04, 04:27
Playing freelancer again ATM, cool game :)

Spermy
31-08-04, 10:15
Haha I am so dense sometimes (yea, only sometimes), I read the heading and thought hmmmmm, here is somebody who loves THE SIMS and apparently they now have a space version

Was wondering what a NC lover is doing playing the Sims

:D

Pssh we have the customisable apartments... and the dodgy emotes....

Kratos
31-08-04, 10:22
well....if you want to try a Space game...wait until SWG:Jump to lightspeed(i think its called)
if you are a SWG fan,try it,but i find SWG boring imo.

coppertop
31-08-04, 13:17
I would say I-War 2, Freespace 2 and X-wing Alliance are the best space combat games. Freelancer is alright as well but the mouse only control just bugs me.

ichinin
31-08-04, 19:44
Playing freelancer again ATM, cool game :)

Yupp, but it gets booring after u get a sabre, that ubar shield and get fully packed with nomad weapons, you do corsair mission after corsair mission.. go back to liberty space, flipp off an army of police fighters and watch them try to scratch your paintjobb ! (i even went to the bathroom while they tried..) Lucky for me that alot of people are complete shite at 3'd spaceflight PvP and i'm not :D

Tachyon - the Fringe is also fun, a bit dated, but still fun.. in a Freelancer kinda way.. best in SP though.

And to the other guy - yes, Elite+Frontier is fun too. But same here; When u learn how to take out 3 Thargoid ships at the same time with that P.O.S pulse laser and the Cobra Mk III you inherit in the beginning of the game, you start wondering why you would need a cloaking device... Frontier had it's exploration value and some challenges (Ever tried to land on Ceres between jupiter/Mars? Hey!! I just figured that out.. "Ceres disks".. on the small planetoid right?)

Wing commander was also fun for a while, but is also too easy.. the only time i was worried was when the carrier jumped into that asteroid field.

The worst piece of shit space sim i have ever played gotta be Nihilist. Zaxxon on Commodore C64 has more entertainment value than that..

Anyway, the way for me will be (again) Freelancer when it becomes cheaper than 2 hamburgers and i'll get it again, maby i'll try EvE or some other space flight MMORPG.. SWG-J2LS wont be it!!

steweygrrr
31-08-04, 20:03
I would say I-War 2, Freespace 2 and X-wing Alliance are the best space combat games. Freelancer is alright as well but the mouse only control just bugs me.

OMFG....how could I forget I-War 2?? Fully customisbale ships, proper physics and insane mining lasers that let you cut whole pieces off of enemy ships...rawr

Spermy
31-08-04, 21:05
OMFG....how could I forget I-War 2?? Fully customisbale ships, proper physics and insane mining lasers that let you cut whole pieces off of enemy ships...rawr

Was good, but a pain in the ass to get anywhere.