PDA

View Full Version : 10 ways to improve rp in NC2

Xylaz
28-08-04, 14:06
ok maybe not 10, but i'm sure some of the brilliant minds out there can add something to my list...

here's what i want:

1. Name Filter
hopefully this will be implemented in a proper way and restrict people from using the name like Fucking Bitch etc - i am aware it wont solve the problem but at least it should lower the overal amount of it

2. New chat system
pretty important to me, anticity faction should not be able to hear (and talk) pro city channels and vice versa (at least not without using any special ways, eg. spying device etc) - except OOC that is (every sane person will have it permanently muted anyway).
*Location based channels should be active *only* when in the appropriate location (eg. trade-mb only in MB, -TH in TH, wasteland for all outdoors, NC for NC, CS for Canyon)
*Removal of redundant channels (skill/trade; recruit lvl 10-50)
*As i've stated before all channels except the location based ones should be coded to prevent procity/anticity side spying)
*Making the custom channel activation/muting just like all others, in a clear, newbie-friendly, visible way

3. Removal of the safezones, faction sympathy issues
I know it wont happen but i still yearn for it. Safezones should be removed to give the 'good guys' equal chances of fighting back. The only safe place in a NC should be your own app, assuming you wont invite a murder into it.
It would finally give a reason for some common sense behaviour, eg. not trading with people who are your enemies/griefers/idiots etc), allowing 'reputation' system to reborn.
Faction sympathy should be affecting your game play - you should gain faction sympathy for killing enemies and loose one for killing an allies.
Guards should attack *immediately* if faction sympathy is negative (and i mean immediately - on sight - not just walking around the person for half an hour and shouting: that's it, you're dead - before deciding to finally pull the trigger)
Person with negative fs to yours should be red, simply as it is - that along with the clan wars would make it quite effective system imo (though soullight would be pointless then)
In NC/Doy guards should KOS every anti/procity faction and (additionaly) act as stormbots (killing every one who draws the weapon)

4. Quests, Events, Missions
More quests/events (heh, i know...) - though they should be faction specific mostly, additionally some mass spawn events based on certain locations (eg, attack from regants etc), and a STORYLINE which actually has something to do with the game.
Quick job missions should be removed - that or places like aggie cellars should be removed, or replaced/mixed with other varieties of mobs.

5. my special: add a script which execute self-kill every time a person respond: "dude wtf lol" or "onoz roleplay lololol" ...

ok that's all i can think off for now, not exactly 10 but i've merged some of the points due to the fact that they are pretty much connected with each other.

ezza
28-08-04, 17:13
onoz roleplayer wtf LOLROFLLMAO

except for point 5 which dont bother me in any way shape or form, i like 1-4 not for roleplay but just because it adds to the game, gives people more to do, any ya if they want to roleplay then theres some of the things toaid them

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 17:33
if the playerbase grows significantly, make a RP server. if not... everyone wont RP no matter how much you want em to.

if there was an RP server i would play there, but not exclusively. i would play normal servers as i do now, but RP on the RP server.

IMO wait for a few months after doy release, then suggest improvements, who knows what KK is planning to change with doy?

Dribble Joy
28-08-04, 20:14
The removal of safe zones is going to happen, it's been said many times by KK and the late MJS.
The comms thing has been around for ages and needs to be implemented.
The aggies should be removed too.

I would sugest in addition, that guards are brought to lvl80 and fire at anyone with a weapon drawn with the exeption of thier own people, so raids are doable and can be reppelled (defenders have the advantage of Mob assistance).

Xylaz
28-08-04, 20:17
if the playerbase grows significantly, make a RP server. if not... everyone wont RP no matter how much you want em to.

tbh i dont think playerbase will grow 'significantly' with nc 2, i doubt it will grow at all, so the idea of the rp server is rather out of question imo.

Though, like Ezza said, those changes wont hurt non-roleplayers in any way, the simply add more diversity to the game - and more opportunities to rp. I ma clearly against forcing anyone to rp (hell, i am against forcing anyone to anything) - I just want a setting which would encourage it, a bit.

and yeah, point 5 was a little joke of course...

[edit]

The removal of safe zones is going to happen, it's been said many times by KK and the late MJS.

No, you're wrong. Safezones wont be removed - they will be moved (re-moved?) into local restaurants and pubs, which wont change much, though i appreciate it nonetheless.
Problem i see with it is that all the restaurants borders will be now a lame-ass fightin/zoning place (as P3/PP nowadays) which will only encourage people to gank tradeskillers (and most of them will be sitting ducks out there for eternity).
But on the other hand, such ganking might be good in a way they may finally discover that its not impossible to trade in non-safe zone, and sometimes even safer (as they wont be kos every time they leave the safe borderline).

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 20:26
tbh i dont think playerbase will grow 'significantly' with nc 2, i doubt it will grow at all, so the idea of the rp server is rather out of question imo.

Though, like Ezza said, those changes wont hurt non-roleplayers in any way, the simply add more diversity to the game - and more opportunities to rp. I ma clearly against forcing anyone to rp (hell, i am against forcing anyone to anything) - I just want a setting which would encourage it, a bit.

and yeah, point 5 was a little joke of course...

i agree with all (except 5 :p)

tbh as long as roleplay isnt enforced its all good, and personally i like the suggestions above

[TgR]HusK
28-08-04, 23:53
hated em all xcept nr 5..

ok... j/k - this is all a _definate_ :: AMEN !! ::

Chaos81
29-08-04, 00:41
Some good points...I like your ideas in #2.

GosuSmurf
29-08-04, 01:40
i got a point.. unban titan :(

Dribble Joy
29-08-04, 01:46
Go away.

Crackitakk
29-08-04, 02:13
ah in my opninion......everyone should be nicer...so that people STOP QUITTING
i know people have been coming back lately in prep for doy, but in the early monthes of the summer it seems like everyone was quitting

i think the rp is fine, any more rp and it would be gay, neocron is like its own world, it engulfs u completely and u play for hours so that it seems like real life, i think that meens anything can be conciderd roleplaying in neocron, its just a different kind, instead of acting all goofy like and talking weird like ur from the future or sum shit, everyone is in the same boat of "virtual life" and thats the way nc rp is, its like u ask someone if they wanna hang out and ofcourse that meens go pk or hunt warbs, everything just feels like ur really doing it in a way and thats whats so fuckin cool about neocron....its so detailed it feels real, playing=actions in neocron and actions feel like they meen something, neocron has the best kind of roleplaying i could ever immagine

how many other games feel like an alternate life

garyu69
29-08-04, 02:49
hmmmm 10 ways to improve rp in NC2, how about one.... to have played pluto :D

virgil caine
29-08-04, 03:12

Yep : )

[TgR]HusK
29-08-04, 03:34
but... but... then I don't get any new rp improvements in nc2 :( :p

Hmm... I do want to post a sidenote to all those ANTI-RP people around, RP doesn't necesary mean that you have to play like that future punk, you can roleplay and still be YOU just as easy, infact that is what most people do.

if I roleplay, I am just plain normal... not change the way I talk, just changing the events that supposedly happen around me.

Know that game when you'd start with one word... another person starts with the next, and together, one by one, a whole group of people make a hilarious story that nobody has a clue off where its going.

Well, basicly, thats roleplay already, sure you can play like someone else... like all those man playing female chars (really well some of em :p) around here... thats roleplay to offcourse, but you don't HAVE to go there... you don't have to talk to people in an odd way or pretend your a crimelord with a big history o.O

Know that game when you'd start with one word... another person starts with the next, and together, one by one, a whole group of people make a hilarious story that nobody has a clue off where its going.

Keep that one in mind... and trust me, there is alot of fun to be found in RP, even for the ultimate PvPers, and if you don't like it still... thats your choice, but this is a mmoRPG so please... I ask you to atleast keep that in mind when your whining about those pesky RPers in this game, even if at some point 90% of the community is non-rper... this is still an mmoRPG. :p

*runs back to his hidingplace*

kin
29-08-04, 09:31
I can only think of one, and that is having a one slotted server. Would help with the reputation building jig.

Cerbious
29-08-04, 09:55
Damn so many people said good things for me to be arsed to quote em all and say "yeah i really like that idea".

Really liked point 2.

Somone saying resturants etc will be safe? Gah thats shit it will be a matter of peeps dodging from pub to pub (pub crawl without the smile). Tradeskillers wouldn't move from a set resturant and pay spies to stealth off and go get Lube or greese etc if they run out. Honestly think for DOY and NC the only safe area should be your appt (of which perhaps only you are aloud to draw your weapon)

As for all the talk with RP i agree and do think there should be more. And not extreme RP but just peeps killing with a reason lol

Jesterthegreat
29-08-04, 11:56

played it... got to ** rank... didnt see i single bit of RP

pluto "us > you" attitude sucks

ezza
29-08-04, 12:27
didnt see i single bit of RP you have to be in with the right group, theres about 2 roleplayers who hide out somewhere roleplaying with each other, so due to the fact they have 2more roleplayers on there server compared to the others it makes it theroleplayer server

Jesterthegreat
29-08-04, 12:59
you have to be in with the right group, theres about 2 roleplayers who hide out somewhere roleplaying with each other, so due to the fact they have 2more roleplayers on there server compared to the others it makes it theroleplayer server

you know... thats exactly what i thought it was... i didnt meet the 2 RPers! if i did i would have obvoiusly agreed its an RP server

solling
29-08-04, 13:09
played it... got to ** rank... didnt see i single bit of RP

maybee u saw em with ur 4 slot server eyes a.k.a wont see rp if it come and bite u in the ass :p

ive played on it a lot and yeh it has more rp then saturn wich i have also played and i think its due to the 1 slot vs the 4 slot

maybee 4 slots is to much to actually enjoy rp or maybee 1 slotters are so bored they need to rp dont know :D ¨
jsut my observations

Jesterthegreat
29-08-04, 13:16
maybee u saw em with ur 4 slot server eyes a.k.a wont see rp if it come and bite u in the ass :p

ive played on it a lot and yeh it has more rp then saturn wich i have also played and i think its due to the 1 slot vs the 4 slot

maybee 4 slots is to much to actually enjoy rp or maybee 1 slotters are so bored they need to rp dont know :D ¨
jsut my observations

saturns idea of RP is "red = dead, yellow = dead, green = dead" :p

and no, i never said i see more rp on my main server (Uranus btw).

however i have played almost all MMORPG's and a vast selection of RPG's. i have played PnP RPG's and tabletop RPG's. don't tell me i dont know RP

as i said. i have not seen a shredd of RP on pluto.

aKe`cj
29-08-04, 14:37
[x] "/me command":

/me nods
*aKe`cj nods

[x] More Quests involving other players, rather than "go to NPC A, then kill NPC B and return to NPC Y" style missions

[x] RP Server with a special setup (a lot smaller ..less zones) + GM's to keep an eye on the rules. (yeah .its a dream, but hey .. :) )

[x] More ingame media

[TgR]HusK
29-08-04, 14:44
as i said. i have not seen a shredd of RP on pluto. IF your are REALY looking for them...

Fallen Angels on pluto mostly exist out of RPers, many of the longterm faction members RP if you start RPing at them (which is what most FA's do) and my current clan there Phoenix Ltd is 95% roleplay day in day out.

Besides that I know of a few BD and CA that like to RP... IF you talk to them in a way they understand your RPing, you'll notice quick enough ;)

The Skull event was ALL RP on pluto, many people participated in that, though its RP side went down a bit at the end when Crahn intervained (though with good intentions of the Crahn Faction Councelor)

Well I can go on with examples... but I agree with one thing, if your not looking for RP specificly... you won't find it, there are alot of people who'd play along if people started it doing, but are affraid of being the only one, making fun of themselves.

I hope that explains somewhat of the RP in neocron, its there, its hidden, but its not hard to find either, if you know how to look :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm not that kind of person that says everybody should RP... everybody should do whatever they like best imho, but RP, when accepted, can be more fun than most people dare to think :p

Ok.. enough about that, the above idea's are good for many things, not just for RP, so if it was possible, I'd agree 200% with them :p

amfest
29-08-04, 14:51
a "real" server for RPers would be great where you have to RP in order to play there.

as was said in a previous post the things mentioned would be good even if people didn't RP. The only time you should be talking to your enemy from the other city is when they are in local or Zone . . . I'm not even sure OOC should let you chat with them because then everyone would use it like they use Trade-NC right now . .trades with anyone . even your enemy and just talking crap to each other. I think if your enemy can talk crap to you .. they should be within shooting distance ;)

As for the safezone thing . .yea clubs and bars will be safezones . .but don't forget . faction HQs will also be safezones . .

Jesterthegreat
29-08-04, 17:14
HusK']IF your are REALY looking for them...

Fallen Angels on pluto mostly exist out of RPers, many of the longterm faction members RP if you start RPing at them (which is what most FA's do) and my current clan there Phoenix Ltd is 95% roleplay day in day out.

Besides that I know of a few BD and CA that like to RP... IF you talk to them in a way they understand your RPing, you'll notice quick enough ;)

The Skull event was ALL RP on pluto, many people participated in that, though its RP side went down a bit at the end when Crahn intervained (though with good intentions of the Crahn Faction Councelor)

Well I can go on with examples... but I agree with one thing, if your not looking for RP specificly... you won't find it, there are alot of people who'd play along if people started it doing, but are affraid of being the only one, making fun of themselves.

I hope that explains somewhat of the RP in neocron, its there, its hidden, but its not hard to find either, if you know how to look :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm not that kind of person that says everybody should RP... everybody should do whatever they like best imho, but RP, when accepted, can be more fun than most people dare to think :p

Ok.. enough about that, the above idea's are good for many things, not just for RP, so if it was possible, I'd agree 200% with them :p

well... i admit i wasnt walkin around spamming on trade "where are all the RPers then?" ... does that count as "not looking"?

and anyway. i agree with the above ideas too, and if there was a specific RP server i would play it, but it wouldnt be the only one i would play.

Kopaka
29-08-04, 19:58
I would sugest in addition, that guards are brought to lvl80 and fire at anyone with a weapon drawn with the exeption of thier own people, so raids are doable and can be reppelled (defenders have the advantage of Mob assistance).

good idea, i like it

Kopaka
29-08-04, 20:02
Honestly think for DOY and NC the only safe area should be your appt (of which perhaps only you are aloud to draw your weapon)

invite some1 to ur app to trade, after the trade shoot him and hack his belt so u got another item?
nice i like it.

the other dude cant defend.. that would suck

Endar
29-08-04, 21:18
I kinda liked those ideas, but as someone said earlier the safezones will be removed anyway so that doesnt count as a new idea.

I hope that the removing safezones wont lead to tradeskillers massacre, and if does, I hope that those tradeskillers will make a list of people that have killed them and share it with other tradeskillers. And when there is a list of people that kill tradeskillers, most of us will never trade with the people on that list, and thats going to make the life of those rampage PKers a real pain (or atleast I hope so).

After that I hope people will think more if they are going to shoot the guy or not.

ezza
29-08-04, 21:33
the fact that you have to look for roleplayers says a lot imo

Shadow Dancer
29-08-04, 21:44
I haven't seen much RP on pluto either. Certainly not enough to call it the "RP" server or anything like that.

retr0n
29-08-04, 22:39
Even if there was an RP server, you just know that some asshat would
cap a char and kill you all while you are leveling your noobie chars.

Asshats will always be asshats, and there will always be plenty of them.

I like the ideas of the threadstarter though, way to much trade spamming
going on...

Kopaka
01-09-04, 12:13
I hope that the removing safezones wont lead to tradeskillers massacre, and if does, I hope that those tradeskillers will make a list of people that have killed them and share it with other tradeskillers. And when there is a list of people that kill tradeskillers, most of us will never trade with the people on that list, and thats going to make the life of those rampage PKers a real pain (or atleast I hope so).

killing tradeskillers.. sounds skillless to me. Does plaza2 still have copbots in DoY ? i think there gotta be a safezone for the tradeskillers, i liked that idea (dont know who came up with it) but then again.. ppl would just camp that zoneline and shoot the tradeskillers going out/coming in. maybe accessable via GR?

amfest
01-09-04, 12:27
I"m sure tradeskillers will camp near Clubs, bars and HQs that aren't hostile to alot of people. Like tradeskillers might be near protopharma HQ and Diamond HQ. If they get shot at they can make a run to the nearest HQ zone. Then again don't know how easy it will be for "Neocron" city dwellers to actually Fight amonst themselves inside the city area. Same goes for DOY city dwellers. There might be consquences for fighting amonst yourselves and not the enemy city residents.